Sign in to follow this  
Houston Canary

Omen or coinkydink?

My boys and I departed Daytona Beach at 4:30 this AM for the 950 mile drive home. 3:00 PM games start at 9:00 AM here, and I had arranged for a friend who has been converted into a Norwich fan by me to text me updates on the game.

Florida is Eastern time and Houston is Central, so when my watch, which I had adjusted to Florida time got close to 9:00 AM I started texting him questions about the line up, thinking the game was about to kick off. We exchanged comments, but there was nothing forthcoming about how the game was going, so I figured there had been no goals.

At 10, I mentioned that it must be about half time, to which he answered the game had just kicked off. Oops, but also good because it gave me an extra hour to kill on this long drive. Yes, I was texting and driving, but there was not too much traffic.

He kept me informed on how things were going as best he could using soccernet updates, and I was pleased to see we had not conceded early and had actually appeared to have some offense (based on shots taken). Half time, no score, but you already know that.

As the game progressed (or regressed based on lack of interesting updates?), I felt okay in that the defense had kept the score board empty, and an away draw would be a step up from last Friday.

55 min., Still no score. 73 min., still no score. Then it happened. I drove past a highway sign that named a town and how far it was. It read Holt 1. I thought this could be an omen, but after a few minutes, the cell phone didn''t buzz, and I focussed more on the drive and the excellent pizza place we were stopping at in Pensacola, just a few miles away. Then the phone buzzed and the message was the write out from soccernet with my friend''s emotion added. 90 mins - GOAL! Grant Holt hits a very good header to the lower left from the center penalty area (approx 12 yards) and scores!!

Oh ueah, he had his NCFC jersey I bought him last month on, and I had no NCFC gear on since I did last Friday.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Only if he scores 15 goals within minutes of passing it. :)

Can''t make that roadie more often, it''s 950 miles![/quote]But how far from St Paul are you, Houston?![;)]

950 miles? [:|] Jesus christ. Surely not in one day?!?

Anyway Houston, may I ask why you are a Norwich fan? Sorry to sound nosey, as there is not a problem with it. In fact, it is a great thing - the more the merrier! [:D]

Any connection? [:)]

Good read though, hope you were as happy as I was when the goal went in. [:D]

950 miles in one day, yes. What sucked was lack of air conditioning which is not working at the mo. 1st half was okay because there were sporadic showers that helped keep temps comfortable, but from Baton Rouge on, it was bright and sunny, hot and humid. It''s all interstate, so rarely went under 65 mph. Made it home in 15 hours, and that included about 45 minute side trip to pick up pizza from Santino''s.

I was thrilled when I got the goal report. I shouted it to my sons who were also very happy. That it was Holt made it that much sweeter, having passed the Holt 1 sign and thinking it would be cool if that was an omen minutes earlier.

I started following NCFC in 1972 when my family lived there for a year while my father, a Norwich boy himself, commuted to his alma mater London Uni. to do research during a sabatical leave from his teaching college in Canada. I went to Avenue Road Middle School where I made a few friends I would see each time I came over to visit my grandparents every 2 or 3 years.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]950 miles in one day, yes. What sucked was lack of air conditioning which is not working at the mo. 1st half was okay because there were sporadic showers that helped keep temps comfortable, but from Baton Rouge on, it was bright and sunny, hot and humid. It''s all interstate, so rarely went under 65 mph. Made it home in 15 hours, and that included about 45 minute side trip to pick up pizza from Santino''s. I was thrilled when I got the goal report. I shouted it to my sons who were also very happy. That it was Holt made it that much sweeter, having passed the Holt 1 sign and thinking it would be cool if that was an omen minutes earlier. I started following NCFC in 1972 when my family lived there for a year while my father, a Norwich boy himself, commuted to his alma mater London Uni. to do research during a sabatical leave from his teaching college in Canada. I went to Avenue Road Middle School where I made a few friends I would see each time I came over to visit my grandparents every 2 or 3 years.[/quote]

How long were youn in Florida for Houston? Been a couple of times myself, I think it''s a fantastic place, I''m sure there are many that disagree with that! I''d be going again this year if I could afford it.

We were there for 1 week, all of it in Daytona. I twas a great relaxing time, and compared to Houston, it was pleasantly warm and breezey, not swelteringly humid which was a nice surprise.

No breakers on the beach made for some great waves to play in and attempt to ride on a boogie board.

I was impressed by how many small parks they had all over the place. We drove through Tallahassee on the way in just to see the state capitol and kill some time to make sure we didn''t arrive too early for check-in, and it was really nice with plenty of parks too. At least in the bit of it we saw.