Sign in to follow this  
mat gore

A blessing in disguise

Does anyone else think our 4-0 defeat against Charlton could be a blessing in disguise ?  I''d obviously rather we won but if we had to lose I think I''m glad it was 4-0 and not 3-2 or something.  The result was so damning that its difficult to pretend that everything is ok and changes will have to be made.

I''m afraid everyone bar Nigel Worthington can see that playing Gary Holt week after week has been totally counter productive.  We have a short defence low on confidence and organisation.  With Holt playing our midfield sits deep and allows cross after cross to be played at our defence with no creativity or support for the forwards whatsoever.  Mulryne or Safri MUST be given an extended run in the team.

Likewise in defence, Edworthy, Charlton and Fleming who all started the season tremendously ALL look like they need a break.  Add to that the combined lack of height and I personally think that Doherty or Shackell must get a run in the team and Helveg should be given 6 or 7 games to get his fitness and oprove why he was the best defender at Euro 2004.

Leon Mckenzie seems to have forgotten where the goal is.  Personally I think he needs a rest.  I really rate him as a player and I think one or two reserve matches with a couple of goals to his name would really help.

My team for Saturday would be

Green

Helveg Shackell Fleming Drury

Bentley Mulryne Francis Huckerby

McVeigh

Svennson

I would allow McVeigh and Huckerby to cross over roles at times.  I also feel McVeigh is more likely to hit the target if a chance arrices than Leon is at the moment.  Jonson and Safri would be potential swaps for Bentley and Mulryne.

This is an excellent post from Mat.

None of the ranting and raving either pro or anti Worthy but an objective look at ''the stituation'' - Worthy''s favourite phrase!

Only thing I would mention is I can''t see what return we''ve had so far from Jonson. His recent performances have been truly awful. Enough has been said about Holt - Mulryne or Safri should be given extended run. The centre backs are now being exposed for the lack of height that was obvious to all apart from our manager. In any centre back pairing in British football you MUST have 1 guy who can dominate in the air. In recent seaons it was Malky (who scored many goals as well!). That means either Shacks or The Doc. must be tried.

In summary, there will always be a few nutters who want to sack their manager following just one poor result. To be fair to the Worthy Out brigade, I think their views are borne out of sheer frustration at his unwillingness to give other squad members a fair chance. Now if he starts to do this and we see Brennan, Shackell, Jarvis, Mulryne, Safri etc. given decent chances and we still don''t improve then there is little more that Worthy can do.       

Great post Mat, the only thing I disagree with is I think that Eddy is playing well and doesn''t need a rest but other than that you are spot on. Very good constructive criticism.Agree with Yellow Rider about Jonson as well.