Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Ruddy looks cruddy

He does not become a bad keeper overnight. He came to us with a good reputation and a good season in the SCL under his belt. Constant criticism is his biggest problem, give him support and that could well have a positive effect.

And more importantly don''t force one of our exceptional young keepers into a pressure position too early.

This is such a lot of B*llox! Ruddy did ok, none of the goals were his fault and to be fair he didn''t get many chances to shine.

The fact is we need to get used to this type of game. I personally was disappointed with the CBs - Ward in particular didn''t cover himself with glory but he will know that and I''m sure he will improve.

I was impressed that at 2-0 the players didn''t give up and I think that there were some good performances from the midfield to build on.

It wasn''t Ruddy in goal, it was Dean Ashton.

He will come good, the whole team will, they have only played one proper game and need time to gel.

Does not look impressive. Overweight, lacks alertness, far too quiet and seems to have a lot of self doubt - for a keeper that isn''t a good mindset to have.

I''m prepared to see him have a few more games, as long has Lambert drops him if he doesn''t do the business. With Rudd and Steer waiting in the wings, they deserve their chance if one is created if Ruddy doesn''t improve.

The defence was the area that concerned me most pre season and after Everton and now Watford, I am no less concerned!!!

This slatying of Ruddy is way over the top!

Ruddys becoming a scapgoat in the same vein as Russell Martin!

Facts were Ruddy wasn''t great but having 2 crap CB''s in front of him was his biggest problem!

Russell Martin done OK, the same as Drury. Again they wern''t haelped by the CB''s being so poor!

Another player some said didn''t play well was Fox who wasn''t great and I''d question whether hes the man to play at the bottom of the diamond in front of the back 4 but he covered the CB''s on more than one occasion!

Common theme occurring here!

I think we were very fortunate to have Forster so is some big shoes to follow and Ruddy having a shaky start makes us all worry its another Theo!

Come on Ruddy prove us all wrong.

Ruddy was very poor last night...yet I agree with some of the posts above, the defence in front of him wasn''t good either and this made him look worse.It''s also no good saying he was one of the best goalie''s in Scotland last year...everyone knows the Scottish footy league is inferior to English football.I''m afraid that at the moment, he doesn''t look up to the task.Putting Declan Rudd in for a couple of games might make him perk up.

At least if Rudd plays he can use Ruddys shirt, they''ll just peel the ''y'' off. Joking aside give the guy a chance he comes with a decent reputation last season from scotland. Also yellow wall your crusade against loan players is admirable and you can count me as a supporter. Should be banned.

he might not of been at fault for the 3 goals, though beaten at his near post for the first and got a week hand to the 2nd (but wont take that away from him as it was a one on one, you expect the striker to score at this level)Alot of people have forgotten that he did spill the ball to give there play a sitter from 6 yards, thankfully he fluffed the chance but you would normally see them tucked away.

He''s not been great, admittedly. But like somebody else said, new players take time to settle in, especially keepers (saw somebody mention Gomes as a good example). He''s got to be given a chance. Getting on his back is helping nobody. Mistakes happen, remember a certain Mr. Forster giving Dirty Leeds all three points at Elland Road last season?

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]At least if Rudd plays he can use Ruddys shirt, they''ll just peel the ''y'' off. Joking aside give the guy a chance he comes with a decent reputation last season from scotland. Also yellow wall your crusade against loan players is admirable and you can count me as a supporter. Should be banned.[/quote]Thanks norfolkchance1 ............. now if we can persuade a few million more!

none of the goals were his fault, he made one error in spilling the ball. However he also made 1 really good save quite soon after their first goal I think. His kicking from hand was very good at times leading to one of our best chances that Jackson put into the side netting.

+ I don''t think he''s overweight, he''s just a big guy and that gives him more body to stop the ball with.

Ward was definately at fault for their 3rd goal. I''m sorry but the way he just turned his back and showed no intention to block/defend the ball was inexcusable and you''d be suprised to see that on a Sunday morning.

I have no doubt that he will be a quality keeper for the club. Yes it was a poor display last night but they werent all his fault. The defence was poor and a keeper is only as good as the defence in front of him.

We didnt think Forster was as amazing as we do now after the first game. Give Ruddy time and i''m certain he''ll be quality.

[quote user="Depraved"]yup, give the lad a chance. His problem Friday night was the dross in front of him.[/quote]He''s had two poor performances in a row. First against Everton, and I thought he was poor on Friday night.  He doesn''t command confidence in the same way Forster did, despite being more experienced and having played at a higher level.  On a separate note, it says a lot about the problem with bringing talented youngsters through our football system when Forster might not be able to get a game this season despite clearly being a great talent.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]A central defender who has played in the Premiership stands off a player about to shoot at goal from twelve yards out with covering defenders around him and then turns his back when the forward shoots allowing the deflection to be put past the keeper. Yes its always the keeper''s fault![/quote]Spot on YW. Twice Ward turned his back as he charged the forward down - all he achieved was to leave Ruddy unsighted - and I think give a deflection in the case of the first goal. That said, Ruddy has done nothing to reassure me - in fact I''d say his performance Friday was actually worse than Theo''s a year ago. In both cases the goalkeeper had to contend with a rubbish defence (remember Nelson in the Colchester game?) and a team featuring a load of new players. The priority is to sort the defence and only then can we judge Ruddy properly. But I suspect he - and others like Ward - may be dropped for the League Cup game on Tuesday, if only to enable a better assessment of the other contenders. Askou anyone?

Mister Chops:

"On a separate note, it says a lot about the problem with bringing talented youngsters through our football system when Forster might not be able to get a game this season despite clearly being a great talent."

Another problem with the wonderful loan system and the people who abuse it.

We might have been able to afford Forster had we not quadrupled his value by giving him the exposure, the experience, the training and the opportunity.

But enough of him. I hope we now quadruple the value of the keeper currently on our books, because he is our player.

Thought it was interesting to read an impartial view of Ruddy''s performance. These are some snippets from the Guardian match report.

"However, Watford continued to expose City''s defence and Adrian Mariappa looked certain to score when Ruddy''s unaccountable fumble presented him with an open goal. "

" Lambert''s introduction of last season''s top scorer Grant Holt, who missed most of City''s pre-season games with injury, was roundly applauded but it was Graham who had the final word, albeit with a gentle shot that should never have beaten Ruddy."

I don''t know whether it''s nerves, lack of confidence or lack of ability. But this is a situation which does need to improve urgently. As another thread has pointed out Kasper Schemichal demonstrated just how valuable a good goalkeeper is in this league. Without him Leeds would have been soundly beaten by Derby. As it was they still had a decent chance of getting a point right until the end of game.

The impartial view of the game was propably written by somebody 100 miles or so away from Carrow Road who saw a few edited higlights.

"A gentle shot that should never have beaten Ruddy".

......... a well placed shot that the centre back did his best to stand off the attacker, blocking the keeper''s view, before turning his back on the shot and deflecting it past his keeper.

But perhaps that can''t be considered impartial as I do not feel that goal was his fault.

looks like all those ruddy knockers could have egg on their faces after all. seems to be growing in confidence. first penelty save for two years(marshall).

What you can''t say someone has had a poor game without getting egg on your face???

He did have a poor game and i personally said he will have to look sharper in future... and he has. So good on him.

Why would that consitute egg being on my face? Not many people at all wrote him off, just that his performance back then was poor.

[quote user="star_manic"]looks like all those ruddy knockers could have egg on their faces after all. seems to be growing in confidence. first penelty save for two years(marshall).[/quote]He was poor against Everton, he was poor against Watford. He was better against Scunthorpe and he improved again today with a very good performance.