Sign in to follow this  
Big Slob

Stephen Fry (press conference 5.30pm)

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"]Quite disturbingly, I am starting to come round to Cluck''s point of view on this.

Has Norwich City been turned into an ego trip by Delia, and is it tainting her decisions on what is right for the club? I do not deny what she has done for the club, in financial terms, and it is obvious that the board, as a collective, have dropped some awful clangers in recent years.

But does "little old Norwich" suit her better? When interviewed on TV she seems to have a pessimistic view on our chances of ever being a "big" club, is this pragmatism or wishful thinking?

Frankly, the further I give it thought, the less clear I am on what the core issues are regarding relative success and the identity of our club.
[/quote]

Take your loyalty to the club come what may out of this and it all begins become clear..... NCFC is simply a shop window for Delia Smith''s media ego.... and now she''s got a new line to sell in her luvvie celebrity friend Stephen Fry.

You state ''for what she has done for the club''.... but what does that actually mean? Smith got an absolute bargain when City became available and changing her colours from blue and white, seamlessly created her cynical ''saviour'' status. NCFC did not need ''saving'' by anyone... it just needed investment.  Had a more astute buyer come along (instead the hand-picked Smith) I think we would have a very team to support right now... and dear old Geoffrey Watling''s bequest may have been better used.

Smith has the club of the size she needs.... and that is the long and short of it.
[/quote]

Yes, but a more astute buyer didn''t come along, or did they, we have no way of knowing. As far as I remember, we were in the crapper, and if we didn''t have her money somebody would have been pulling the chain.

I do not subscribe to the theory that she is the antichrist, nor the theory that she is manipulative for her own means. Obviously, in recent years she has been extremely misguided, a situation now hopefully put right by McNally.

I think the club feels like it is heading in the right direction now, and I fully support Delia''s decision not to hand control over to some faceless Johnny Foreigner consortium.

I don''t think all of this is as black and white as some people would see it, and personal prejudice certainly clouds a lot of people''s views on this subject.

[/quote]

Next time we are in the Bayer Morty I will tell you what happened. Yes I was there.

I am not putting it on this board again to be called names!! But it was no accident.

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"]Quite disturbingly, I am starting to come round to Cluck''s point of view on this.Has Norwich City been turned into an ego trip by Delia, and is it tainting her decisions on what is right for the club? I do not deny what she has done for the club, in financial terms, and it is obvious that the board, as a collective, have dropped some awful clangers in recent years.But does "little old Norwich" suit her better? When interviewed on TV she seems to have a pessimistic view on our chances of ever being a "big" club, is this pragmatism or wishful thinking?Frankly, the further I give it thought, the less clear I am on what the core issues are regarding relative success and the identity of our club.[/quote]Take your loyalty to the club come what may out of this and it all begins become clear..... NCFC is simply a shop window for Delia Smith''s media ego.... and now she''s got a new line to sell in her luvvie celebrity friend Stephen Fry.You state ''for what she has done for the club''.... but what does that actually mean? Smith got an absolute bargain when City became available and changing her colours from blue and white, seamlessly created her cynical ''saviour'' status. NCFC did not need ''saving'' by anyone... it just needed investment.  Had a more astute buyer come along (instead the hand-picked Smith) I think we would have a very team to support right now... and dear old Geoffrey Watling''s bequest may have been better used.Smith has the club of the size she needs.... and that is the long and short of it.[/quote]Yes, but a more astute buyer didn''t come along, or did they, we have no way of knowing. As far as I remember, we were in the crapper, and if we didn''t have her money somebody would have been pulling the chain.I do not subscribe to the theory that she is the antichrist, nor the theory that she is manipulative for her own means. Obviously, in recent years she has been extremely misguided, a situation now hopefully put right by McNally.I think the club feels like it is heading in the right direction now, and I fully support Delia''s decision not to hand control over to some faceless Johnny Foreigner consortium.I don''t think all of this is as black and white as some people would see it, and personal prejudice certainly clouds a lot of people''s views on this subject.[/quote]

Next time we are in the Bayer Morty I will tell you what happened. Yes I was there.

I am not putting it on this board again to be called names!! But it was no accident.

[/quote]I look forward to it.[:)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"]Quite disturbingly, I am starting to come round to Cluck''s point of view on this.Has Norwich City been turned into an ego trip by Delia, and is it tainting her decisions on what is right for the club? I do not deny what she has done for the club, in financial terms, and it is obvious that the board, as a collective, have dropped some awful clangers in recent years.But does "little old Norwich" suit her better? When interviewed on TV she seems to have a pessimistic view on our chances of ever being a "big" club, is this pragmatism or wishful thinking?Frankly, the further I give it thought, the less clear I am on what the core issues are regarding relative success and the identity of our club.[/quote]Take your loyalty to the club come what may out of this and it all begins become clear..... NCFC is simply a shop window for Delia Smith''s media ego.... and now she''s got a new line to sell in her luvvie celebrity friend Stephen Fry.You state ''for what she has done for the club''.... but what does that actually mean? Smith got an absolute bargain when City became available and changing her colours from blue and white, seamlessly created her cynical ''saviour'' status. NCFC did not need ''saving'' by anyone... it just needed investment.  Had a more astute buyer come along (instead the hand-picked Smith) I think we would have a very team to support right now... and dear old Geoffrey Watling''s bequest may have been better used.Smith has the club of the size she needs.... and that is the long and short of it.[/quote]Yes, but a more astute buyer didn''t come along, or did they, we have no way of knowing. As far as I remember, we were in the crapper, and if we didn''t have her money somebody would have been pulling the chain.I do not subscribe to the theory that she is the antichrist, nor the theory that she is manipulative for her own means. Obviously, in recent years she has been extremely misguided, a situation now hopefully put right by McNally.I think the club feels like it is heading in the right direction now, and I fully support Delia''s decision not to hand control over to some faceless Johnny Foreigner consortium.I don''t think all of this is as black and white as some people would see it, and personal prejudice certainly clouds a lot of people''s views on this subject.[/quote]City were never ''in the crapper''.  The spitefully maligned Robert Chase had wisely laid out club money on numerous parcels of land etc.(plus players) which easily covered the small level of debt involved.... and amidst a hyped media smokescreen Lady Delia simply came along to claim she had ''saved'' the club.... and let us never forget the Watling legacy she pocketed. Either you were naive and frightened enough to hide behind her petticoats at the time.... or more astute and able to see through the whole charade as it unfolded. Sadly there are alot of people out there who simply believe everything they are told... and thus the myth continues to this day.Despite your faith in McNally as he is simply a small fish dangling on Smith''s hook..... his every move is overseen and approved by her. So don''t be fooled by the CEO''s smart grey suit... as underneath it he is duty bound to wear Delia''s knickers.

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"]Quite disturbingly, I am starting to come round to Cluck''s point of view on this.Has Norwich City been turned into an ego trip by Delia, and is it tainting her decisions on what is right for the club? I do not deny what she has done for the club, in financial terms, and it is obvious that the board, as a collective, have dropped some awful clangers in recent years.But does "little old Norwich" suit her better? When interviewed on TV she seems to have a pessimistic view on our chances of ever being a "big" club, is this pragmatism or wishful thinking?Frankly, the further I give it thought, the less clear I am on what the core issues are regarding relative success and the identity of our club.[/quote]Take your loyalty to the club come what may out of this and it all begins become clear..... NCFC is simply a shop window for Delia Smith''s media ego.... and now she''s got a new line to sell in her luvvie celebrity friend Stephen Fry.You state ''for what she has done for the club''.... but what does that actually mean? Smith got an absolute bargain when City became available and changing her colours from blue and white, seamlessly created her cynical ''saviour'' status. NCFC did not need ''saving'' by anyone... it just needed investment.  Had a more astute buyer come along (instead the hand-picked Smith) I think we would have a very team to support right now... and dear old Geoffrey Watling''s bequest may have been better used.Smith has the club of the size she needs.... and that is the long and short of it.[/quote]Yes, but a more astute buyer didn''t come along, or did they, we have no way of knowing. As far as I remember, we were in the crapper, and if we didn''t have her money somebody would have been pulling the chain.I do not subscribe to the theory that she is the antichrist, nor the theory that she is manipulative for her own means. Obviously, in recent years she has been extremely misguided, a situation now hopefully put right by McNally.I think the club feels like it is heading in the right direction now, and I fully support Delia''s decision not to hand control over to some faceless Johnny Foreigner consortium.I don''t think all of this is as black and white as some people would see it, and personal prejudice certainly clouds a lot of people''s views on this subject.[/quote]City were never ''in the crapper''.  The spitefully maligned Robert Chase had wisely laid out club money on numerous parcels of land etc.(plus players) which easily covered the small level of debt involved.... and amidst a hyped media smokescreen Lady Delia simply came along to claim she had ''saved'' the club.... and let us never forget the Watling legacy she pocketed. Either you were naive and frightened enough to hide behind her petticoats at the time.... or more astute and able to see through the whole charade as it unfolded. Sadly there are alot of people out there who simply believe everything they are told... and thus the myth continues to this day.Despite your faith in McNally as he is simply a small fish dangling on Smith''s hook..... his every move is overseen and approved by her. So don''t be fooled by the CEO''s smart grey suit... as underneath it he is duty bound to wear Delia''s knickers.

[/quote]I disagree. I know someone who was working at the club at the time, and they told me things that make me believe we were in the poo. So unless you have actual proof of what you say, then it must be labeled "speculative conspiracy theory". Land doesn''t win you games and keep you in the Premiership, does it?

"Land doesn''t win you games and keep you in the Premiership, does it?"But the sale of it has kept us afloat.As to staying in the Premiership, players were sold as a result of the bank calling in unsecured loans.It is a little bit less simple than the ''pantomime villian'' scenario that you are putting up Morty.

[quote user="City1st"]"Land doesn''t win you games and keep you in the Premiership, does it?"But the sale of it has kept us afloat.As to staying in the Premiership, players were sold as a result of the bank calling in unsecured loans.It is a little bit less simple than the ''pantomime villian'' scenario that you are putting up Morty.

[/quote]I''m not the one putting up any kind of pantomime villain. So buying land, as opposed to keeping our players is all about the football is it? Yes it turned out to be astute, but only in the longer term, it didn''t stop the fire sale of our best players and cause a potentially great manager leave, did it?Why did the banks all of a sudden decide to call in our loans? They usually do this if they smell trouble and want their money back before its too late.

[quote user="Cluck"]
City were never ''in the crapper''.  The spitefully maligned Robert Chase had wisely laid out club money on numerous parcels of land etc.(plus players) which easily covered the small level of debt involved.... and amidst a hyped media smokescreen Lady Delia simply came along to claim she had ''saved'' the club.... and let us never forget the Watling legacy she pocketed. Either you were naive and frightened enough to hide behind her petticoats at the time.... or more astute and able to see through the whole charade as it unfolded. Sadly there are alot of people out there who simply believe everything they are told... and thus the myth continues to this day.

Despite your faith in McNally as he is simply a small fish dangling on Smith''s hook..... his every move is overseen and approved by her. So don''t be fooled by the CEO''s smart grey suit... as underneath it he is duty bound to wear Delia''s knickers.

[/quote]

Let''s just remember one thing. Robert Chase sold his (NOT majority) shareholding to Geoffrey Watling. Geoffrey Watling then appointed the people he wanted to run the club. One of these, Martin Armstrong, invited Smith & Jones onto the board in return for a couple of million.

Anything that happened to those shares later happened through the wishes of Geoffrey Watling. If there was a conspiracy then it was done with the full knowledge of and probably instigated by Watling himself. If there was no conspiracy then Watling chose who he sold to.

The fact that Watling bought Chases shareholding is surely a matter of record.

[quote user="City1st"]"Land doesn''t win you games and keep you in the Premiership, does it?"But the sale of it has kept us afloat.As to staying in the Premiership, players were sold as a result of the bank calling in unsecured loans.It is a little bit less simple than the ''pantomime villian'' scenario that you are putting up Morty.

[/quote]Sooooo... what banana boat did you arrive on?I''ve encountered some simpletons on here over the years... but congratulations on being top rank.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"]Quite disturbingly, I am starting to come round to Cluck''s point of view on this.Has Norwich City been turned into an ego trip by Delia, and is it tainting her decisions on what is right for the club? I do not deny what she has done for the club, in financial terms, and it is obvious that the board, as a collective, have dropped some awful clangers in recent years.But does "little old Norwich" suit her better? When interviewed on TV she seems to have a pessimistic view on our chances of ever being a "big" club, is this pragmatism or wishful thinking?Frankly, the further I give it thought, the less clear I am on what the core issues are regarding relative success and the identity of our club.[/quote]Take your loyalty to the club come what may out of this and it all begins become clear..... NCFC is simply a shop window for Delia Smith''s media ego.... and now she''s got a new line to sell in her luvvie celebrity friend Stephen Fry.You state ''for what she has done for the club''.... but what does that actually mean? Smith got an absolute bargain when City became available and changing her colours from blue and white, seamlessly created her cynical ''saviour'' status. NCFC did not need ''saving'' by anyone... it just needed investment.  Had a more astute buyer come along (instead the hand-picked Smith) I think we would have a very team to support right now... and dear old Geoffrey Watling''s bequest may have been better used.Smith has the club of the size she needs.... and that is the long and short of it.[/quote]Yes, but a more astute buyer didn''t come along, or did they, we have no way of knowing. As far as I remember, we were in the crapper, and if we didn''t have her money somebody would have been pulling the chain.I do not subscribe to the theory that she is the antichrist, nor the theory that she is manipulative for her own means. Obviously, in recent years she has been extremely misguided, a situation now hopefully put right by McNally.I think the club feels like it is heading in the right direction now, and I fully support Delia''s decision not to hand control over to some faceless Johnny Foreigner consortium.I don''t think all of this is as black and white as some people would see it, and personal prejudice certainly clouds a lot of people''s views on this subject.[/quote]City were never ''in the crapper''.  The spitefully maligned Robert Chase had wisely laid out club money on numerous parcels of land etc.(plus players) which easily covered the small level of debt involved.... and amidst a hyped media smokescreen Lady Delia simply came along to claim she had ''saved'' the club.... and let us never forget the Watling legacy she pocketed. Either you were naive and frightened enough to hide behind her petticoats at the time.... or more astute and able to see through the whole charade as it unfolded. Sadly there are alot of people out there who simply believe everything they are told... and thus the myth continues to this day.Despite your faith in McNally as he is simply a small fish dangling on Smith''s hook..... his every move is overseen and approved by her. So don''t be fooled by the CEO''s smart grey suit... as underneath it he is duty bound to wear Delia''s knickers.

[/quote]I disagree. I know someone who was working at the club at the time, and they told me things that make me believe we were in the poo. So unless you have actual proof of what you say, then it must be labeled "speculative conspiracy theory". Land doesn''t win you games and keep you in the Premiership, does it?[/quote]For heavens sake.... Did your dog write this crap for you when you were off having a w@nk?Piffle.... pure piffle.

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"]Quite disturbingly, I am starting to come round to Cluck''s point of view on this.Has Norwich City been turned into an ego trip by Delia, and is it tainting her decisions on what is right for the club? I do not deny what she has done for the club, in financial terms, and it is obvious that the board, as a collective, have dropped some awful clangers in recent years.But does "little old Norwich" suit her better? When interviewed on TV she seems to have a pessimistic view on our chances of ever being a "big" club, is this pragmatism or wishful thinking?Frankly, the further I give it thought, the less clear I am on what the core issues are regarding relative success and the identity of our club.[/quote]Take your loyalty to the club come what may out of this and it all begins become clear..... NCFC is simply a shop window for Delia Smith''s media ego.... and now she''s got a new line to sell in her luvvie celebrity friend Stephen Fry.You state ''for what she has done for the club''.... but what does that actually mean? Smith got an absolute bargain when City became available and changing her colours from blue and white, seamlessly created her cynical ''saviour'' status. NCFC did not need ''saving'' by anyone... it just needed investment.  Had a more astute buyer come along (instead the hand-picked Smith) I think we would have a very team to support right now... and dear old Geoffrey Watling''s bequest may have been better used.Smith has the club of the size she needs.... and that is the long and short of it.[/quote]Yes, but a more astute buyer didn''t come along, or did they, we have no way of knowing. As far as I remember, we were in the crapper, and if we didn''t have her money somebody would have been pulling the chain.I do not subscribe to the theory that she is the antichrist, nor the theory that she is manipulative for her own means. Obviously, in recent years she has been extremely misguided, a situation now hopefully put right by McNally.I think the club feels like it is heading in the right direction now, and I fully support Delia''s decision not to hand control over to some faceless Johnny Foreigner consortium.I don''t think all of this is as black and white as some people would see it, and personal prejudice certainly clouds a lot of people''s views on this subject.[/quote]City were never ''in the crapper''.  The spitefully maligned Robert Chase had wisely laid out club money on numerous parcels of land etc.(plus players) which easily covered the small level of debt involved.... and amidst a hyped media smokescreen Lady Delia simply came along to claim she had ''saved'' the club.... and let us never forget the Watling legacy she pocketed. Either you were naive and frightened enough to hide behind her petticoats at the time.... or more astute and able to see through the whole charade as it unfolded. Sadly there are alot of people out there who simply believe everything they are told... and thus the myth continues to this day.Despite your faith in McNally as he is simply a small fish dangling on Smith''s hook..... his every move is overseen and approved by her. So don''t be fooled by the CEO''s smart grey suit... as underneath it he is duty bound to wear Delia''s knickers.

[/quote]I disagree. I know someone who was working at the club at the time, and they told me things that make me believe we were in the poo. So unless you have actual proof of what you say, then it must be labeled "speculative conspiracy theory". Land doesn''t win you games and keep you in the Premiership, does it?[/quote]For heavens sake.... Did your dog write this crap for you when you were off having a w@nk?Piffle.... pure piffle.[/quote]Wow, you put such a convincing argument there, its really made me doubt myself.[:)]

The failure of Robert Chase to invest in players when he did led to Norwich dropping out of the Premier League just before the real money came in.

Had he had the foresight to have bought a striker to survive that season we would have had a very different history.

And for balance, Delia and Co did the same thing the last time we were in the Premier League. For a reasonable risk - and as it turned out Ashton made us money - at the start of the season we would have stayed up.

Chase ran NCFC like a small building firm. He ate the goose that layed the golden eggs in a small minded way and having accidentally been in tenure when the stars all read in our favour he blew it.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]The failure of Robert Chase to invest in players when he did led to Norwich dropping out of the Premier League just before the real money came in. Had he had the foresight to have bought a striker to survive that season we would have had a very different history. And for balance, Delia and Co did the same thing the last time we were in the Premier League. For a reasonable risk - and as it turned out Ashton made us money - at the start of the season we would have stayed up. Chase ran NCFC like a small building firm. He ate the goose that layed the golden eggs in a small minded way and having accidentally been in tenure when the stars all read in our favour he blew it.[/quote]

So Chases success was an accident and Delias by design!!

So the myth of Smith goes on.

Just who pulled the plug on NCFC? Who pushed Barclays into pushing Chase. Who had friends and influence.

Do you want to ask the posters, take a 50-50 or phone a friend?[;)]

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]The failure of Robert Chase to invest in players when he did led to Norwich dropping out of the Premier League just before the real money came in.[/quote]Spot on.That''s when the rot started. Top flight football was on the verge of a huge change and we weren''t invited to the party. Norwich City were in the nations psyche after our European adventures. The fact that Chase was unable to keep the club afloat without ripping the team to pieces says to me the club wasn''t being run well. Where was Chase''s investment? People ask why Delia and co can''t attract major investment, what about Fat Bob?The drop down to D2 was never going to be the same again once the Premiership thing happened. The difference in TV money/league payments is huge and the gulf keeps growing. It happened on Chase''s watch and I hold him accountable for that. Bad timing perhaps, but it was one gargantuan screw up.

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]The failure of Robert Chase to invest in players when he did led to Norwich dropping out of the Premier League just before the real money came in. Had he had the foresight to have bought a striker to survive that season we would have had a very different history. And for balance, Delia and Co did the same thing the last time we were in the Premier League. For a reasonable risk - and as it turned out Ashton made us money - at the start of the season we would have stayed up. Chase ran NCFC like a small building firm. He ate the goose that layed the golden eggs in a small minded way and having accidentally been in tenure when the stars all read in our favour he blew it.[/quote]

So Chases success was an accident and Delias by design!!

So the myth of Smith goes on.

Just who pulled the plug on NCFC? Who pushed Barclays into pushing Chase. Who had friends and influence.

Do you want to ask the posters, take a 50-50 or phone a friend?[;)]

[/quote]What hope is there eh Butler? A large proportion of these Chase years ''deniers'' base their thinking purely on hearsay... the rest are victims of ignorance.I just hope Robert Chase knows that there are some of us who are grateful for the joy he gave us.... and that one day I hope he will allow the truth to surface.

I think it''s sad that those who know what really went on during those days refuse to talk about it.

How are the ignorant supposed to become enlightened if no one will tell them what happened?

I do have one question though for those who might know.

When Chase was forced out we were around £6 million in debt. We are now reportedly £32 million in debt. Once Chase had left did we actually reduce our debt at any point?

I''m one of the young and ignorant. When all this was going on I was only 12 and in those days all I cared about was watching my heroes take to the field the finer points of banks and loans etc. didn''t even register.

Davo

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"]Quite disturbingly, I am starting to come round to Cluck''s point of view on this.Has Norwich City been turned into an ego trip by Delia, and is it tainting her decisions on what is right for the club? I do not deny what she has done for the club, in financial terms, and it is obvious that the board, as a collective, have dropped some awful clangers in recent years.But does "little old Norwich" suit her better? When interviewed on TV she seems to have a pessimistic view on our chances of ever being a "big" club, is this pragmatism or wishful thinking?Frankly, the further I give it thought, the less clear I am on what the core issues are regarding relative success and the identity of our club.[/quote]Take your loyalty to the club come what may out of this and it all begins become clear..... NCFC is simply a shop window for Delia Smith''s media ego.... and now she''s got a new line to sell in her luvvie celebrity friend Stephen Fry.You state ''for what she has done for the club''.... but what does that actually mean? Smith got an absolute bargain when City became available and changing her colours from blue and white, seamlessly created her cynical ''saviour'' status. NCFC did not need ''saving'' by anyone... it just needed investment.  Had a more astute buyer come along (instead the hand-picked Smith) I think we would have a very team to support right now... and dear old Geoffrey Watling''s bequest may have been better used.Smith has the club of the size she needs.... and that is the long and short of it.[/quote]Yes, but a more astute buyer didn''t come along, or did they, we have no way of knowing. As far as I remember, we were in the crapper, and if we didn''t have her money somebody would have been pulling the chain.I do not subscribe to the theory that she is the antichrist, nor the theory that she is manipulative for her own means. Obviously, in recent years she has been extremely misguided, a situation now hopefully put right by McNally.I think the club feels like it is heading in the right direction now, and I fully support Delia''s decision not to hand control over to some faceless Johnny Foreigner consortium.I don''t think all of this is as black and white as some people would see it, and personal prejudice certainly clouds a lot of people''s views on this subject.[/quote]City were never ''in the crapper''.  The spitefully maligned Robert Chase had wisely laid out club money on numerous parcels of land etc.(plus players) which easily covered the small level of debt involved.... and amidst a hyped media smokescreen Lady Delia simply came along to claim she had ''saved'' the club.... and let us never forget the Watling legacy she pocketed. Either you were naive and frightened enough to hide behind her petticoats at the time.... or more astute and able to see through the whole charade as it unfolded. Sadly there are alot of people out there who simply believe everything they are told... and thus the myth continues to this day.Despite your faith in McNally as he is simply a small fish dangling on Smith''s hook..... his every move is overseen and approved by her. So don''t be fooled by the CEO''s smart grey suit... as underneath it he is duty bound to wear Delia''s knickers.

[/quote]I disagree. I know someone who was working at the club at the time, and they told me things that make me believe we were in the poo. So unless you have actual proof of what you say, then it must be labeled "speculative conspiracy theory". Land doesn''t win you games and keep you in the Premiership, does it?[/quote]For heavens sake.... Did your dog write this crap for you when you were off having a w@nk?Piffle.... pure piffle.[/quote]Wow, you put such a convincing argument there, its really made me doubt myself.[:)][/quote]Never doubt your intimate needs Mort... and at least the dog some exercise.  [;)]

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"]Quite disturbingly, I am starting to come round to Cluck''s point of view on this.Has Norwich City been turned into an ego trip by Delia, and is it tainting her decisions on what is right for the club? I do not deny what she has done for the club, in financial terms, and it is obvious that the board, as a collective, have dropped some awful clangers in recent years.But does "little old Norwich" suit her better? When interviewed on TV she seems to have a pessimistic view on our chances of ever being a "big" club, is this pragmatism or wishful thinking?Frankly, the further I give it thought, the less clear I am on what the core issues are regarding relative success and the identity of our club.[/quote]Take your loyalty to the club come what may out of this and it all begins become clear..... NCFC is simply a shop window for Delia Smith''s media ego.... and now she''s got a new line to sell in her luvvie celebrity friend Stephen Fry.You state ''for what she has done for the club''.... but what does that actually mean? Smith got an absolute bargain when City became available and changing her colours from blue and white, seamlessly created her cynical ''saviour'' status. NCFC did not need ''saving'' by anyone... it just needed investment.  Had a more astute buyer come along (instead the hand-picked Smith) I think we would have a very team to support right now... and dear old Geoffrey Watling''s bequest may have been better used.Smith has the club of the size she needs.... and that is the long and short of it.[/quote]Yes, but a more astute buyer didn''t come along, or did they, we have no way of knowing. As far as I remember, we were in the crapper, and if we didn''t have her money somebody would have been pulling the chain.I do not subscribe to the theory that she is the antichrist, nor the theory that she is manipulative for her own means. Obviously, in recent years she has been extremely misguided, a situation now hopefully put right by McNally.I think the club feels like it is heading in the right direction now, and I fully support Delia''s decision not to hand control over to some faceless Johnny Foreigner consortium.I don''t think all of this is as black and white as some people would see it, and personal prejudice certainly clouds a lot of people''s views on this subject.[/quote]City were never ''in the crapper''.  The spitefully maligned Robert Chase had wisely laid out club money on numerous parcels of land etc.(plus players) which easily covered the small level of debt involved.... and amidst a hyped media smokescreen Lady Delia simply came along to claim she had ''saved'' the club.... and let us never forget the Watling legacy she pocketed. Either you were naive and frightened enough to hide behind her petticoats at the time.... or more astute and able to see through the whole charade as it unfolded. Sadly there are alot of people out there who simply believe everything they are told... and thus the myth continues to this day.Despite your faith in McNally as he is simply a small fish dangling on Smith''s hook..... his every move is overseen and approved by her. So don''t be fooled by the CEO''s smart grey suit... as underneath it he is duty bound to wear Delia''s knickers.

[/quote]I disagree. I know someone who was working at the club at the time, and they told me things that make me believe we were in the poo. So unless you have actual proof of what you say, then it must be labeled "speculative conspiracy theory". Land doesn''t win you games and keep you in the Premiership, does it?[/quote]For heavens sake.... Did your dog write this crap for you when you were off having a w@nk?Piffle.... pure piffle.[/quote]Wow, you put such a convincing argument there, its really made me doubt myself.[:)][/quote]Never doubt your intimate needs Mort... and at least the dog some exercise.  [;)][/quote]So, seeing as I don''t own a dog, do you recommend borrowing one in future?[;)]

[quote user="Davo"]I think it''s sad that those who know what really went on during those days refuse to talk about it.

How are the ignorant supposed to become enlightened if no one will tell them what happened?

When Chase was forced out we were around £6 million in debt. We are now reportedly £32 million in debt. Once Chase had left did we actually reduce our debt at any point?

I''m one of the young and ignorant. When all this was going on I was only 12 and in those days all I cared about was watching my heroes take to the field the finer points of banks and loans etc. didn''t even register.

Davo[/quote]He made some clever land deals, that certainly helped us out after he left, but staying in teh Prem would have been worth a lot more.£6 million was a lot of money in those days, and it was before the Premiership really went stupid with money from Sky.If we had stayed up just one more season things could have been very, very different.

[quote user="Davo"]I think it''s sad that those who know what really went on during those days refuse to talk about it.

Davo[/quote]You''ve pretty much already answered your own question Davo. Robert Chase give City fans the greatest period of success the club has ever had  and put quality players on the pitch we could only once have dreamed of before he took the reins. Third in the Premiership.... European football.... not to mention League Cups and FA Cup semi-finals.How can all of that be dismissed without there being a spiteful witch hunt  by the current set-up? Take it from me.... Robert Chase was the best thing that ever happened to NCFC.... and Delia Smith the worst.

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="Davo"]I think it''s sad that those who know what really went on during those days refuse to talk about it.

Davo[/quote]You''ve pretty much already answered your own question Davo. Robert Chase give City fans the greatest period of success the club has ever had  and put quality players on the pitch we could only once have dreamed of before he took the reins. Third in the Premiership.... European football.... not to mention League Cups and FA Cup semi-finals.How can all of that be dismissed without there being a spiteful witch hunt  by the current set-up? Take it from me.... Robert Chase was the best thing that ever happened to NCFC.... and Delia Smith the worst.[/quote]So Delia sold our players and we got relegated from the Prem at the worst time ever?Is that how it happened?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="Davo"]I think it''s sad that those who know what really went on during those days refuse to talk about it.

Davo[/quote]You''ve pretty much already answered your own question Davo. Robert Chase give City fans the greatest period of success the club has ever had  and put quality players on the pitch we could only once have dreamed of before he took the reins. Third in the Premiership.... European football.... not to mention League Cups and FA Cup semi-finals.How can all of that be dismissed without there being a spiteful witch hunt  by the current set-up? Take it from me.... Robert Chase was the best thing that ever happened to NCFC.... and Delia Smith the worst.[/quote]So Delia sold our players and we got relegated from the Prem at the worst time ever?Is that how it happened?[/quote]Jog on..... You clearly haven''t a clue have you?

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="Davo"]I think it''s sad that those who know what really went on during those days refuse to talk about it.

Davo[/quote]You''ve pretty much already answered your own question Davo. Robert Chase give City fans the greatest period of success the club has ever had  and put quality players on the pitch we could only once have dreamed of before he took the reins. Third in the Premiership.... European football.... not to mention League Cups and FA Cup semi-finals.How can all of that be dismissed without there being a spiteful witch hunt  by the current set-up? Take it from me.... Robert Chase was the best thing that ever happened to NCFC.... and Delia Smith the worst.[/quote]So Delia sold our players and we got relegated from the Prem at the worst time ever?Is that how it happened?[/quote]Jog on..... You clearly haven''t a clue have you?[/quote]You could of course, actually answer the question.[:)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="Davo"]I think it''s sad that those who know what really went on during those days refuse to talk about it.

Davo[/quote]You''ve pretty much already answered your own question Davo. Robert Chase give City fans the greatest period of success the club has ever had  and put quality players on the pitch we could only once have dreamed of before he took the reins. Third in the Premiership.... European football.... not to mention League Cups and FA Cup semi-finals.How can all of that be dismissed without there being a spiteful witch hunt  by the current set-up? Take it from me.... Robert Chase was the best thing that ever happened to NCFC.... and Delia Smith the worst.[/quote]So Delia sold our players and we got relegated from the Prem at the worst time ever?Is that how it happened?[/quote]Jog on..... You clearly haven''t a clue have you?[/quote]You could of course, actually answer the question.[:)][/quote]Briefly then... after some fabulous years NCFC hit a difficult period. Robert Chase was hounded out simply due to the ridiculous over expectation of club supporters....and he was not given time to turn things around before Smith''s media campaign cynically smeared him.Under Delia Smith.... NCFC hit a protracted difficult period. Delia Smith then took us ever further into debt and down to Division Three for the first time in 50 years.  Outcome? She remains the clubs ''saviour''.....Work it out for yourself.

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="Davo"]I think it''s sad that those who know what really went on during those days refuse to talk about it.

Davo[/quote]You''ve pretty much already answered your own question Davo. Robert Chase give City fans the greatest period of success the club has ever had  and put quality players on the pitch we could only once have dreamed of before he took the reins. Third in the Premiership.... European football.... not to mention League Cups and FA Cup semi-finals.How can all of that be dismissed without there being a spiteful witch hunt  by the current set-up? Take it from me.... Robert Chase was the best thing that ever happened to NCFC.... and Delia Smith the worst.[/quote]So Delia sold our players and we got relegated from the Prem at the worst time ever?Is that how it happened?[/quote]Jog on..... You clearly haven''t a clue have you?[/quote]You could of course, actually answer the question.[:)][/quote]Briefly then... after some fabulous years NCFC hit a difficult period. Robert Chase was hounded out simply due to the ridiculous over expectation of club supporters....and he was not given time to turn things around before Smith''s media campaign cynically smeared him.Under Delia Smith.... NCFC hit a protracted difficult period. Delia Smith then took us ever further into debt and down to Division Three for the first time in 50 years.  Outcome? She remains the clubs ''saviour''.....Work it out for yourself.[/quote]Woah, woah, woah. You kinda skipped over that first bit a little too quickly.We had just had our most successful period as a club, oh and just to let you know, I''m not a Chase hater, as you may have presumed. Why did we have ridiculous expectation? We flew high in the Prem  and played in Europe. Did he, or did he not, sell every single one of our best players and drive Martin Oneil away, hoping rather than have to invest any more that we could wing it and not get relegated?Like it or not, Delia has been plastering over the cracks of financial ineptitude left by Mr Chase.

But I thought it was Roy Blower and the Chase out group at the time that pushed Chase, firmly, towards the door. Have I got it wrong, or were they instrumental in his exit and therefore contributory to our decline? Maybe I''m too young to remember, pretty sure I had a badge though.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]But I thought it was Roy Blower and the Chase out group at the time that pushed Chase, firmly, towards the door. Have I got it wrong, or were they instrumental in his exit and therefore contributory to our decline? Maybe I''m too young to remember, pretty sure I had a badge though.[/quote]In my opinion our decline was caused by him selling players to try and balance the books, no one would have forced him out if we had stayed up that season.

And you know something else?If I was Robert Chase, and I had been unfairly ousted by some evil plot, I''m pretty sure that I would have spoken out by now, to clear my name.

Cluck,

I was under the impression that Barclay''s were putting Chase under pressure to pay off debts. Didn''t they recall the overdraft facility which meant we had to have a fire sale? Was this ever paid off or just renegotiated?

If as has been intimated in this thread and in others that pressure was put on Barclay''s to put pressure on Chase, who would have that kind of influence? I can''t imagine anyone having that kind of influence today, have banks really changed that much in 15 years?

Davo

Funny reading Morty and Cluck''s exchange here - Morty indicates he may actually agree with Cluck, a reasonably cordial exchange of views then occurs, Cluck sets about with the brainwashing, and the minute it fails and Morty utters the words "i disagree," he (and his dog) get insulted!

And so the world''s of Morty and Cluck, after a brief coming together, drift apart once again, until the next time...!