Sign in to follow this  
TheGoogler

Thoughts from the friendly

[quote user="Gazza"]

/Ward comfortable and how refreshing to see a centre back that actually wants to pass the ball/

[/quote]

These kind of comments amuse me.

What did Elliott Ward do with the ball today that we wouldn''t have seen another centreback (say for example the Doc) do?

This isn''t a knock at Elliott Ward because I''m pleased we''ve signed him but for the majority of the time (if not all the time) all he did was make routine sideways passes. Nothing more than that.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"]

/Ward comfortable and how refreshing to see a centre back that actually wants to pass the ball/

[/quote]

What did Elliott Ward do with the ball today that we wouldn''t have seen another centreback (say for example the Doc) do?

This isn''t a knock at Elliott Ward because I''m pleased we''ve signed him but for the majority of the time (if not all the time) all he did was make routine sideways passes. Nothing more than that.

[/quote]

Because the Doc was not capable and just shows that lambert again has made the right decision releasing him.

For me Ward wants to play football and that is something we have missed a centre back for a number of years. Is summary Ward is different class to the Doc, capito?!?

1. Who was playing at the base of the diamond? Was it Crofts with Fox out on the right or was it t''other way round? I imagined it would be Crofts as he sounds more like the ball winning/combative midfielder of the two, but from a lot of what ive read on here it sound like it was Fox as the DCM with Crofts on the right?

2. If PL is going to go with Surman, Fox, Crofts and Hoolihan in midfield, as seems as he might - as good as they all on on the ball, and hopefully we''ll see some great passing football, do you not think that we might be a bit lightweight for the championship?

Also, was Corey injured today or just not played. I hope he doesnt lose out as a result of signing Fox and Crofts, as I think he has so much to offer - though obviously he has to prove himself like everyone else..

Cheers for the reports and all sounds very promising

otbc

[quote user="rondy"]1. Who was playing at the base of the diamond? Was it Crofts with Fox out on the right or was it t''other way round? I imagined it would be Crofts as he sounds more like the ball winning/combative midfielder of the two, but from a lot of what ive read on here it sound like it was Fox as the DCM with Crofts on the right?

2. If PL is going to go with Surman, Fox, Crofts and Hoolihan in midfield, as seems as he might - as good as they all on on the ball, and hopefully we''ll see some great passing football, do you not think that we might be a bit lightweight for the championship?

Also, was Corey injured today or just not played. I hope he doesnt lose out as a result of signing Fox and Crofts, as I think he has so much to offer - though obviously he has to prove himself like everyone else..

otbc[/quote]Firstly, sorry if it pisses you off biut it''s Korey Smith and Wes HoolAhan. In response to your post, Fox was CDM with Crofts right, Surman left and Hoolahan at the tip. Korey Smith was injured but I think we saw our first choice midfield today in these four. Korey will play but most likely as a sub away from home when we''re defending a lead I suspect, when we''ll switch to a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1.

[quote user="rondy"]1. Who was playing at the base of the diamond? Was it Crofts with Fox out on the right or was it t''other way round? I imagined it would be Crofts as he sounds more like the ball winning/combative midfielder of the two, but from a lot of what ive read on here it sound like it was Fox as the DCM with Crofts on the right?

otbc[/quote]Fox was at the base, with Crofts wide right in the Korey role.

[quote user="chicken"]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"] aswell as the continued mystery surrounding Askou [/quote]

Continued? Didn''t Lambert say he was spending time with his wife and baby? I don''t think Lambert would lie about if it was something else.

[/quote]

Yes, but its been going on for 2 weeks now?, missed the Germany trip and all 3 fiendlies this week?

[quote user="John"][quote user="Boogle"]

Nice to hear whats going on, but pre season is just about fitness, tactics, and gelling a team. Wouldnt judge players on how they perform too much.

Look at Newcastle, I remember they lost 6-1 to Leyton orient last summer, and went on to win the championship.

[/quote]

True, but if you''re looking for a positive it''d at least be a result that will go some way to shutting the moaners up.
[/quote]

Very true and a good result today. My main point was really people moaning about the Stevenage and Dagenham games.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]1-1 Ameobi, nothing ruddy could do. Jackson has a goal disallowed as well. [/quote]

Other than close his legs?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="chicken"]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"] aswell as the continued mystery surrounding Askou [/quote]

Continued? Didn''t Lambert say he was spending time with his wife and baby? I don''t think Lambert would lie about if it was something else.

[/quote]

Yes, but its been going on for 2 weeks now?, missed the Germany trip and all 3 fiendlies this week?

[/quote]

Again, look at the article. Askou stayed due to the iminentness of his wife in giving birth. The baby was born towards the end of the time they were in Germany I believe and he has been given time with his wife and newborn.

I am not saying something else maybe going on but this is the story put out by Lambert in whom we should trust.

Enjoyed the game today, looks like we are going to see Norwich passing the ball next season, new players all impressed, vision and ability to play and take a pass. Very happy. I have been a critic of Russel Martin but to be fair he did a good job today and looked comfortable with the players around him. My only real concern was Drury and our defending the left side, Drury didnt have his best game, got forward quite a lot but gave the ball away and we were often left exposed at the back. When he plays with Lappin they have a pretty good understanding and tend to cover for each other but that didnt happen today Surman, just a bit more understanding needed.

Very happy with what I saw of the new signings, but only a friendly eh?

[quote user="John"]Again, i have to say thanks Googler, that''s a brilliant report. [Y]

All very encouraging stuff. Perhaps those extra defined elements in Crofts play will make him that much of a better player than Hughes as a midfielder.

The chemistry, although still incomplete, seems to be coming along quite nicely. The forward play seems especially impressive. Despite it only being a friendly, all of Jackson, Martin, Hoolahan, Surman, Fox and now, perhaps more so than ever, McNamee (he was the dynamo that a successful Swindon sides play revolved around prior to us signing him) seem to give off the impression that they possess an abundance of intelligence, the envy of many a side of ours in the past. And i''m anticipating further improvements to this department when we integrate a match fit Holt into the play, more than likely the cleverest target man i''ve seen out of the Premier League in my opinion (if we''re comparing with Chelsea, like Jackson may be our answer to Anelka, perhaps we might have a ''Drogba'' dynamic to the side also?).

It is a friendly, and while we may not profit from such relaxed and garnished play in the season, i see no harm in assessing the potential for what might originate out of it
[/quote]

Hear hear!

A genuine question, please, for those who went today. Did we miss Grant Holt? Reading the reports, it sounds that we had to keep the ball on the deck rather than default to any type of hoof-ball - was this suitable for us? Will our style change when Holty returns, or will he be a better option than Martin and / or Jackson?

[quote user="LinkNR9"]A genuine question, please, for those who went today. Did we miss Grant Holt? Reading the reports, it sounds that we had to keep the ball on the deck rather than default to any type of hoof-ball - was this suitable for us? Will our style change when Holty returns, or will he be a better option than Martin and / or Jackson?[/quote]Do we play hoof-ball when Holt is in the team then?

[quote user="morty"]Lol, if you say so.
[/quote]

Yes, I say so. Sorry for having an opinion contrary to yours. Not.

[quote user="Gazza"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Because the Doc was not capable and just shows that lambert again has made the right decision releasing him.

For me Ward wants to play football and that is something we have missed a centre back for a number of years. Is summary Ward is different class to the Doc, capito?!?

[/quote]

Silly comment.

How is Ward different class from Doherty? He''s come to the club at a similar age to the Doc, he came from a smaller club than the one Doc came from and he cost less money. I''m not saying Elliott Ward isn''t a good player but those things would suggest that Doherty was a better player - if you were to look at it that way.

Anyway, like I said, I''m pleased we''ve signed Ward but I suspect the main plus point he has over the Doc is that he''s 5 years younger. Ability wise I doubt we''re going to see much (or any) improvement. I also have a suspicion we might find out that Ward is half a yard slower across the turf.

All Elliott Ward did today was play safe/easy passes that any other player would play and I would suggest you''re trying to see something that wasn''t there.

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

[quote user="morty"]Lol, if you say so.[/quote]

[/quote]Yes, we''re well known for our hoofball style, aren''t we?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="LinkNR9"]

[quote user="morty"]Lol, if you say so.[/quote]

[/quote]Yes, we''re well known for our hoofball style, aren''t we?[/quote]I barely remember Hoolahan touching the ball last season as we hoofed our way out of League One  [:S]

[quote user="morty"]Yes, we''re well known for our hoofball style, aren''t we?[/quote]

For the last 6 years, yes.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Silly comment.

How is Ward different class from Doherty? He''s come to the club at a similar age to the Doc, he came from a smaller club than the one Doc came from and he cost less money. I''m not saying Elliott Ward isn''t a good player but those things would suggest that Doherty was a better player - if you were to look at it that way.

Anyway, like I said, I''m pleased we''ve signed Ward but I suspect the main plus point he has over the Doc is that he''s 5 years younger. Ability wise I doubt we''re going to see much (or any) improvement. I also have a suspicion we might find out that Ward is half a yard slower across the turf.

All Elliott Ward did today was play safe/easy passes that any other player would play and I would suggest you''re trying to see something that wasn''t there.

[/quote]

But who would give away the most penalties or stupid fouls around the penalty area?

Is that all there were? I seem to recall one every game almost at the start of our last relegation season. Perhaps my mind has been blighted by all those tugs and pulls he used to do as he was being turned by the striker [:^)]

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Silly comment.

How is Ward different class from Doherty? He''s come to the club at a similar age to the Doc, he came from a smaller club than the one Doc came from and he cost less money. I''m not saying Elliott Ward isn''t a good player but those things would suggest that Doherty was a better player - if you were to look at it that way.[/quote]

He wasn''t really a premiership player was he though?

I have to say though on todays performance there were subtle differences in the way the two of them appeared to like to play. Doherty would sometimes hack the ball away up field when he had more of an oppertunity to pass the ball. Ward DID look like he was trying to play a pass more often than not and in all fairness did not knock it sideways all of the time. He did start to hoof the ball just before he came off which could be seen as a sign of tiredness etc but I thought he did ok. I am not going to say which is the better player yet because you can''t possibly do that over one pre-season game. What I will say is that if Doherty was that good why has he gone to Charlton, why not a lower championship team? Sure he might have been good 5 years ago but that was five years ago, if Ward is as good as Doherty and cheaper then I would go with Lambert and have done the same thing.

It''s not about who was best in their prime, its about who is the best now. If Ward is as good as Doherty now he could still get better where as Doherty at 30 is probably just on or over the peak of his career.

[quote user="yellow blood"]Is that all there were? I seem to recall one every game almost at the start of our last relegation season.[/quote]Oh we gave away a lot of penalties at the start of that season.  But he didn''t even play until October that year.  He did give away two (out of about twelve I think) that particular season.  One of which was a definite pen, no question but the other one ended up in him being sent off but was later rescinded as he won the ball.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Gazza"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Silly comment.

How is Ward different class from Doherty? He''s come to the club at a similar age to the Doc, he came from a smaller club than the one Doc came from and he cost less money. I''m not saying Elliott Ward isn''t a good player but those things would suggest that Doherty was a better player - if you were to look at it that way.[/quote]

He wasn''t really a premiership player was he though?

I have to say though on todays performance there were subtle differences in the way the two of them appeared to like to play. Doherty would sometimes hack the ball away up field when he had more of an oppertunity to pass the ball. Ward DID look like he was trying to play a pass more often than not and in all fairness did not knock it sideways all of the time. He did start to hoof the ball just before he came off which could be seen as a sign of tiredness etc but I thought he did ok. I am not going to say which is the better player yet because you can''t possibly do that over one pre-season game. What I will say is that if Doherty was that good why has he gone to Charlton, why not a lower championship team? Sure he might have been good 5 years ago but that was five years ago, if Ward is as good as Doherty and cheaper then I would go with Lambert and have done the same thing.

It''s not about who was best in their prime, its about who is the best now. If Ward is as good as Doherty now he could still get better where as Doherty at 30 is probably just on or over the peak of his career.

[/quote]

The bit about the Doc hacking the ball away is tosh as, actually, he rarely gave possession away cheaply.

And you could question why, if Ward is that good, why wasn''t he wanted at a struggling Coventry side? Why has he come on the cheap to a recently promoted 3rd tier side?

Funny thing is...say we were now to change things around - the Doc is a 25 year old and we''ve just signed him from Coventry after he was frozen out. I bet that signing would be viewed in a negative light, however, it''s pretty obvious that some have already decided that Ward is going to be a good player for us before we''ve even kicked the season off.

Anyway, I do agree that if Elliott Ward is as good or better than the Doc then, being 5 years younger, it''s the right thing to do for the football club.

Elliott Ward is a good player. Myself, I would have got rid of Nelson, his passing is going to be his downfall in this league. But, Doc and Rusty left because they were asked to take a drop in wages {rumour has it}, fair enough they didnt want to. The wage bill is being slashed and sorted out with McNally pulling strings, so this club, never struggles with wage bills. Ward or Doc? I would rather have Doc and ward than Ward and Nelson, but finacially wasnt possible.

I thought it was a great performance. Fox was the pick of the new signings for me, always wanting the ball and keeping play ticking over at the base of the diamond, he put his foot in a lot more than I had been led to believe he would too, on this evidence I can see why Lambert has signed him twice.

Crofts was also excellent, 100% energy and commitment keeping the tempo up and rarely wasted possesion, he''ll be a big player for us this year I''m sure and his work rate will make him a fans favourite.

Surman look classy on the ball, although Drury did look a little exposed at times and he failed to get in a challenge on Xisco that led to the Toon''s goal, but I''m sure the diamond is new to him and he''ll sort that before Watford.

Ward looked a little rusty to me and got turned far to easily to allow Ameobi to equalise, but he looked comfortable on the ball and was always looking a pass rather than a lump upfield. Once his fitness is up I''m sure he will improve on what we had last year.

Ruddy has one hell of a presence about him and looks like he will be one of those keepers that strikers are frightened to challenge. Got a good kick, although he used it sparingly, instead prefering to play it short to one of the back 4. Was unlucky that Ameobi''s shot went through his legs, not much he could have done really.

Jackson looked sharp and alert and was full of running. His pace gave the Toon defenders problems and he held the ball well and one a few headers too. From where I was sat in the Barclay he looked like he had a reasonable sight of goal in the 2nd half which fell on his left foot, although I couldnt really tell how far out. Sadly it nearly made the upper tier of the N&P.

Honourable mentions to Chrissy for his brace (could have been a hat-trick if it wasn''t for an impressive 1st half save from Krul), Wes for a MOM performance in my opinion, Newcastle didn''t now how to handle him, and to Nelson for an impressive display against Carroll 1st half and Ameobi in the 2nd.