Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

Quote from Chris Hughton

“They were very good opposition with a lot of momentum in their game, and it was tough. Norwich showed they are a team in very good rhythm, they’ve been back longer than we have and played more minutes than we have and they deserved their win.”

http://www.nufcblog.com/2010/07/25/hughton-we-got-what-we-wanted-out-of-the-game/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nufcblog+%28The+Newcastle+United+Blog%29

Encouraging stuff!

My only concern, and this isn''t really based on anything other than having not yet seen the boys in competitive action, is that when we do play a competitive match we won''t be given as much time and space in midefield to make things tick in such a good rhythm and that we might a) find it difficult to get the ball back, b) lose it quickly once we have it and c) find it hard to pick our way through teams. I have no doubt our midfield are good on the ball, just a bit concerned that we might struggle a bit more when we don''t have it.

Last pre-season is a good example of the difference between friendly and competitive action, Whaley looked good when no-one was interested in putting tough tackles in - as soon as they were, he was shit.

I doubt this will be a problem this year, but I''m so scarred by last season I still worry about these things anyway!!

I cannot wait for Watford in 2 weeks time.

No.  At no stage of any game he ever played, friendly, or league, did Whaley look "good".  He looked crap from minute one and disappeared.Compare his debuts to Surmans, its a different universe.

[quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]

Encouraging stuff!

My only concern, and this isn''t really based on anything other than having not yet seen the boys in competitive action, is that when we do play a competitive match we won''t be given as much time and space in midefield to make things tick in such a good rhythm and that we might a) find it difficult to get the ball back, b) lose it quickly once we have it and c) find it hard to pick our way through teams. I have no doubt our midfield are good on the ball, just a bit concerned that we might struggle a bit more when we don''t have it.

Last pre-season is a good example of the difference between friendly and competitive action, Whaley looked good when no-one was interested in putting tough tackles in - as soon as they were, he was shit.

I doubt this will be a problem this year, but I''m so scarred by last season I still worry about these things anyway!!

I cannot wait for Watford in 2 weeks time.

[/quote]

[quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]

Er..yes he did look good. He scored good goals against both Palace and Wigan and people were pretty impressed with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ep-2xRK1A

http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/1781321/ShowPost.aspx

[/quote]

It''s fairly heartbreaking to read that old Pink ''Un thread now, how much optimism and goodwill had been restored over the summer and then that horrible 90 minutes against Colchester which tore it all down again.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I think Whaley will make Croft look very one-dimensional this season![/quote]

[:#]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]

Er..yes he did look good. He scored good goals against both Palace and Wigan and people were pretty impressed with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ep-2xRK1A

http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/1781321/ShowPost.aspx

[/quote]

It''s fairly heartbreaking to read that old Pink ''Un thread now, how much optimism and goodwill had been restored over the summer and then that horrible 90 minutes against Colchester which tore it all down again.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I think Whaley will make Croft look very one-dimensional this season![/quote]

[:#]

[/quote]

That thread came up when I did a google search for the video of the Wigan goals. I found reading it to be a very grounding experience, and illustrated my first post almost perfectly.

I''m not saying we''ll struggle or be rubbish against Watford, just that I have no idea how things will turn out, and a win against Newcastle and a defeat against Dagenham doesn''t make any difference to that.

Yes, that thread from last season makes interesting reading. I suppose all the optimism was justified in the end.

Nuff respect for GJP. though: "Wasn''t quite so keen on Theo in goal. Didn''t have a lot to do but he didn''t seem to have much presence, went missing on balls into the box and seemed slightly slow to react."