Sign in to follow this  
Lunarcrash

Champions trophy?

How about a preseason league for English champions? Chelsea, Newcasle, Norwich, Notts County plus the Cup winners as well. The winner get a nice shiny trophy.

[quote user="Lunarcrash"]How about a preseason league for English champions? Chelsea, Newcasle, Norwich, Notts County plus the Cup winners as well. The winner get a nice shiny trophy.[/quote]

its actually a pretty good idea. But only would work with league champions as anymore teams would mean too many games. Obviusly too late for this season but could work.

Yeah why not. I think it would even generate enough interst for BBC coverage. The only problem I can see is the premier boys having commercial comitments elswhere.

I agree. It''s a really good idea, with the money going to charity. As has been said above, though, lucrative pre-saeson tours for the big boys might preclude it.

Maybe, as an alternative, ditch the Premier League winners and have the Conference champs enter instead.  That way all four divisions for the coming season would be represented, and it may make it more interesting for neutral supporters.

this is a really good idea but as other people have said Chelski and their Russian millions would have never entered or sent down their youth team :( Maybe its time for the F.A. and premier lge to step in and make something like this happen if it for charity rather than playing the charity shield game at wembley.....time to start putting back in after years of taking out .....

[quote user="ncfcrooferman"]this is a really good idea but as other people have said Chelski and their Russian millions would have never entered or sent down their youth team :( Maybe its time for the F.A. and premier lge to step in and make something like this happen if it for charity rather than playing the charity shield game at wembley.....time to start putting back in after years of taking out .....[/quote]

Yes but as someone already said who needs the Premier big boys keep it to the F/L and perhaps the winning team get to pick the Charity of thier choice to benefit. I E, funds from every match goes into a pot till the end 

It''s a good idea but sadly it is unlikely that Man U or Chelsea would want to take part. In the early seventies we had the Watney Cup, which consisted of the two highest scoring teams from each of the two divisions in the previous season (although teams that qualified for Europe were excluded). It was played in the week or two before the season started and was very popular with fans - matches were even shown on Match of the Day. I remember Halifax beating Manchester United one year! (and this was the full Man U side with Best, Charlton et al).

Or if you want to keep it in the Football League why not the winners of the Paint Pot instead of the P/L winners.

Davo

[quote user="Ghost of Davie Ross"]It''s a good idea but sadly it is unlikely that Man U or Chelsea would want to take part. In the early seventies we had the Watney Cup, which consisted of the two highest scoring teams from each of the two divisions in the previous season (although teams that qualified for Europe were excluded). It was played in the week or two before the season started and was very popular with fans - matches were even shown on Match of the Day. I remember Halifax beating Manchester United one year! (and this was the full Man U side with Best, Charlton et al).[/quote]I happened to stumble across that the other day - looked like quite an interesting and fun format. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watney_Cup