Sign in to follow this  
Hoolahans Ped

Chris Martin To Stay ??

Scored a few times pre season, including 2 today against Newcastle. He had a cracking season last season and my gut feeling is that some premier league / good championship team in going to make a bid for him sooner or later. Question is do you think he''ll stay or go??

He''ll stay here, not enough pace for the Premiership.

He would need to demonstrate he can be the first choice strike partner in a quick / large duo first.

So a related question is will Martin or Holt play with Jackson?

Beccles boy, who does love it at city so hope he stays. Too many previous players have jumped ship too early and shown that they are not up to the standard that they think they are. Lets hope that he keep the hunger for the city shirt for a few years to come!Big Smile [:D]

I''ve a very strong feeling that Martin will be with us for some time. I think as long as he''s paid what he considers to be a decent amount that he''ll want to continue doing well for City. He''s a fan and a local lad, and I can only see him leaving if the Club wants to get shot of him.

[quote user="Yellow Rose of Texas"]He''ll stay here, not enough pace for the Premiership.

He would need to demonstrate he can be the first choice strike partner in a quick / large duo first.

So a related question is will Martin or Holt play with Jackson?[/quote]

Shouldnt that be Martin or Jackson with Holt

We''re unlikely to start games without the club captain being on the pitch?

Early season it''s likely to be Holt & Martin with Jackson on the bench providing pressure for them both to perform. Once Jackson gets into his stride after 5 or 6 games it will be a different matter?

I can imagine C Martin being adept at playing some well-measured through-balls for Jackson to run on to, so that might be a good combination.

If we''re in a game where after 70 mins Holt has had little joy against big central defenders I think PL will look to keep the ball on the floor even more for the remainder of the game and unlock the opposition that way.

Given the emphasis PL has placed on recruiting midfielders who can pick a pass, I think we''ll see less balls pinged high to forward players. Example: last season C Martin was often playing deep around the halfway line, back to goal and needing to bring the ball under control from the sky. That wastes valuable milli-seconds and potentially loses possession when a crisp passing movement could see us through on goal.

With Jackson playing on the shoulder and passing midfielders feeding him effectively, we should expect a few wow moments this season!

[quote user="First Wizard"]Super Chrisy will be massive for us this season, more so than Grant Holt imo.[/quote]

I''m thinking you may be right[Y]

As much as I think he''s Norwich through and through, and he loves being here, if a decent Prem side waves 20 or 30k a week under his nose he''ll be off quicker than a quick thing that has been lightly greased.

I love Grant Holt and how he has performed since he has been at the club, but I can just see Chris Martin being the highest scorer this season.

I dont think the cub has had such a natural finisher as Martin for many years.

Agreed Morty. He''s my favourite player but we all know that if Norwich don''t make it into the prem in the next three years and he proves himself at championship level, then offers are going to come in. As long as he does right by us and doesn''t leave it to the end of his contract to get a bigger payday, then I wouldn''t begrudge him that either. We all aim to make it as far as we can.

He''s our best player by miles..... people saying he''s lazy and found his levelnat league one have no clue about football. he is strong,good in the air and can finish and still only 21!!! makes me laugh that people that say he is rubbish,but think cody is one for the future.he''s 4 years older than Martin...

He will leave us one day and will play in the premier league, not yet tho!

[quote user="morty"]As much as I think he''s Norwich through and through, and he loves being here, if a decent Prem side waves 20 or 30k a week under his nose he''ll be off quicker than a quick thing that has been lightly greased.
[/quote]The only loyality these days morty is shown by the fans, with us, its for life.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"]As much as I think he''s Norwich through and through, and he loves being here, if a decent Prem side waves 20 or 30k a week under his nose he''ll be off quicker than a quick thing that has been lightly greased.[/quote]The only loyality these days morty is shown by the fans, with us, its for life.[/quote]Thats because the club doesn''t pay us lol.At the end of the day its about putting bread on the table, and most people, if another company head hunted you, offering to double or treble your wages, wouldn''t have to think about it for very long.

He should stay.

He''s not 22 until September, and already has 28 Norwich goals to his name. Improving all the time, and potentially one of the greatest goal-scorers we''ve ever had.

Would be nice for him to stay here his whole career, but unlikely to happen realistically!

Re Martin or Holt with Jackson...I wrote what I meant.

The only issue should be what is best for the team, what is is going to make us more successful.

If Jackson''s pace opens teams up and allows our midfield to play, which one of the two slower players - Holt or Martin do you play?

It''s extremely hard to say what level he can make it to, he''s only 21 pace is not his strongest point so he''s not going to lose something he hasn''t naturally got. he''s already strong enough so doesn''t need to bulk up and like others say is a natural finisher but perhaps not what you would call a star attraction that most strikers at clubs are..

bearing this in mind for me he could be alot like Kevin Davies, so could he make it in the premiership? who knows

I doubt if any Premiership clubs have an interest in Chris at the moment. If he has another good run of goals this season, at a higher level, then the Premiership scouts might come sniffing around. As to his loyalty to City, it''s hard to say, although if somebody offers to increase his wages by a large amount then I would imagine he may well be tempted to go. I know I would if I was in his position.