Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Rudd part of an England team to be proud of

fair enough to them, but the press don''t half spin things and put complete shame on the senior squad, about time they left them alone. A lot of the blame for our underachievement lies with them tabloid ****** editors

Here''s a nice quote from the Indy;

"England seldom came to terms with Jerson Cabral''s crossing and but for some excellent keeping from Declan Rudd, a product of the Norwich youth academy, the game might have been lost before the interval – a save from Luc Castaignos was the pick of a very good bunch."

Good luck Declan!

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="king canary"]An alternative view on the team...http://www.football365.com/john_nicholson/0,17033,8746_6274497,00.html[/quote]

Well,that''s an eye-opener.Oh dear.[:S]

[/quote]It does seem to me that whenever our national team screws up we look at the youths and then raise our expectations of them far to high. In 5 years we will be wondering what happened to a lot of these under 19 players, very few will play in the prem, let alone get England caps.

[quote user="Herman "]

"England seldom came to terms with Jerson Cabral''s crossing and but for some excellent keeping from Declan Rudd, a product of the Norwich youth academy, the game might have been lost before the interval – a save from Luc Castaignos was the pick of a very good bunch."

Good luck Declan!

[/quote]

Thanks Herman, at least there''s actually a mention of Rudd in your post....

Why don''t the sports journos in the nationals write more like this guy?Some home-truths that people like myself need to hear.After reading the Indy report,i came away with the ''unlucky England'' feeling,lost to a stronger team etc.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Herman "]

Good luck Declan!

[/quote]

Thanks Herman, at least there''s actually a mention of Rudd in your post....

[/quote]

[:D]Thought i''d better keep it slightly NCFC related or this thread would get moved to the Black Hole of Pink''Un!!

"The English lads control was often sloppy; the midfield was all-running, box to box relying on pace and power over technique."GET IT FORWARD! [:@]

One of the biggest criticisms of English football at the moment is how a lot of our players are coached to be great physical athletes but are not coached enough in actual technical ability etc.

They needed an Adeyemi in their by the sounds of it. Someone with a little bit of a creative mind.

For me in the full England squad only Milner did that for us over the world cup. Joe Cole can do it but has had a pretty inconsistant career - at 28 you would hope he now hits his peak.

Barry and Carrick to me are not good enough. Sure they give 100% and run their socks off but any man in the crowd would do that, English coaches need to wake up and smell the coffee - we can''t play like that anymore when the rest of the footballing world coach on passing first.

[quote user="chicken"]

One of the biggest criticisms of English football at the moment is how a lot of our players are coached to be great physical athletes but are not coached enough in actual technical ability etc.

[/quote]

Norwich do that too.

I work with the chap who coaches and manages one of the Norfolk Youth teams, and apparently the City scouts are always looking for the biggest and most physical lads to give trials to.

The worrying thing is that technical ability and talent doesn''t really seem to come into it. If you''re not big enough, you don''t get the chance.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3067290/An-England-team-to-be-proud-of.html

Very well done indeed to all concerned.

OTBC

[/quote]This is jingoistic nonsense, I''m afraid - but then, it is the Sun.  Who hasn''t been to WW2 sites or cemeteries on school trips?  While you can''t help but be moved by the enormity of the sacrifice, it''s 2010 and this is an under 19''s football team. Part of our problem as a nation is our inability to move forward and to continue to base our national identity on the plucky bulldog seeing off Johnny Foreigner with grit, bravery and determination.  The FA would have been better served taking the U19s to one of the dutch training academies to watch young footballers learning technique and skill.  But that wouldn''t have made a very good photo opportunity.

[quote user="king canary"]An alternative view on the team...

http://www.football365.com/john_nicholson/0,17033,8746_6274497,00.html
[/quote]

Having watched the games against Austria and Holland, I would have to say that this is pretty much spot on. In both games England were put in a position where they needed to up their game (chasing the game against the Dutch and Austria''s spirited late fightback) and on both occasions they failed to do so. Passing was sloppy, possesssion was given away lightly, there was a lack of invention and there was no sign of a coherent game plan. I remember one specific situation in the Dutch game where the left back ( who had an absolute stinker) attempted to roll a five yard pass ( under no pressure whatsoever)  to his wide midfielder and managed to put it into touch. I suspect that if the French can be arsed they will murder us tonight.

As Chopsy says, we need to forget the past and embrace the future, but we will only do that when the ostriches who run our national game get their heads out of the sand and accept that we are a footballing Third World country that needs to swallow it''s pride and learn from others.

It has always been the case that English scouts go for the biggest and the strongest rather than the best footballers - that''s why English football is so good to watch and I wonder whether we are all really prepared to sacrifice our blood and thunder style in order to win a patsy World Cup. Every foreigner who comes here moans about how physical the football is.

There isn''t any great surprise in this thread - but nothing will change while we are filling football grounds watching backs to the wall, up and at em football.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

As Chopsy says, we need to forget the past and embrace the future, but we will only do that when the ostriches who run our national game get their heads out of the sand and accept that we are a footballing Third World country that needs to swallow it''s pride and learn from others.

[/quote]

And that may just be why we have so much positivity around right now.

Paul Lambert did most of his ''pre management'' work in Germany, they (like most countries) seem to be light years ahead of us.

[quote user="First Wazzock"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And that may just be why we have so much positivity around right now.

Paul Lambert did most of his ''pre management'' work in Germany, they (like most countries) seem to be light years ahead of us.

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more Wazzy, and I think the lack of concern about getting results in preseason in favour of maximising fitness is part of that approach.

[quote user="sgncfc"]

It has always been the case that English scouts go for the biggest and the strongest rather than the best footballers - that''s why English football is so good to watch and I wonder whether we are all really prepared to sacrifice our blood and thunder style in order to win a patsy World Cup. Every foreigner who comes here moans about how physical the football is.

There isn''t any great surprise in this thread - but nothing will change while we are filling football grounds watching backs to the wall, up and at em football.

[/quote]

That is the crux of the issue.

Anybody who has ever had the experience of trying to watch a season of  Brazilian top tier football on national free-to-air television in a country of pro-Brazil fanatics will understand. It barely lasted one season here. One tends to get much serial passing in front of thr opposing team - and a great deal of ''giving'' up in games.

English domestic football has drama that none can match. How many of you would prefer to lose that drama in order to win the euros once in a while and reach the odd world cup final? Be honest.

Of course it helps to support a tradionally ''good football'' club with heart like City.[:)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="sgncfc"]

[/quote]

Anybody who has ever had the experience of trying to watch a season of  Brazilian top tier football on national free-to-air television in a country of pro-Brazil fanatics will understand. It barely lasted one season here. One tends to get much serial passing in front of thr opposing team - and a great deal of ''giving'' up in games.

English domestic football has drama that none can match. How many of you would prefer to lose that drama in order to win the euros once in a while and reach the odd world cup final? Be honest.

Of course it helps to support a tradionally ''good football'' club with heart like City.[:)]

OTBC

[/quote]

So, then 2  - 1 eh? Know it''s only a friendly but...

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="sgncfc"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

So, then 2  - 1 eh? Know it''s only a friendly but...

[/quote]

Yup. Just saw the highlights on the internet. Enjoyed City''s goals made by Hoolahan and McNamee - they''re not big, stong and pyhsical are they? [:)]

OTBC

I agree with Mr Chops in that as a nation we tend to look backwards rather than forwards. With regards to technique versus physical strength, as I see it you need both, the top coaches will tell you that you win nothing on technique alone, yes the top teams in the world have great technique but they also work hard as well. As I have posted before we need to go back to playing football and not over coaching our players from a young age.

Well, ironically enough in light of the discussion above, they''e through to meet Spain in the semi-finals. No mention yet of Declan Rudd in despatches from the front!

I guess that equalising in the 3rd minute of added time against France  to qualify says something!

Maybe that trip did have some psychological effect.

Hmmm.

Now what odds on the result of that semi-final?

[:)]

OTBC

Agreed we need to face up to how far behind the rest of the world we are. Almost makes me wish we had been stuffed in the World Cup by someone like Germany. That would really have prompted some soul-searching.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Agreed we need to face up to how far behind the rest of the world we are. Almost makes me wish we had been stuffed in the World Cup by someone like Germany. That would really have prompted some soul-searching.[/quote]

How do you reckon this lot compare with our current shower at the senior level in terms of skills and tactical awareness?

Seaman; G Neville, Ferdinand, Campbell, A Cole; Barmby, Scholes, Gerrard, Beckham; Heskey, Owen.

OTBC

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]I agree with Mr Chops in that as a nation we tend to look backwards rather than forwards. With regards to technique versus physical strength, as I see it you need both, the top coaches will tell you that you win nothing on technique alone, yes the top teams in the world have great technique but they also work hard as well. As I have posted before we need to go back to playing football and not over coaching our players from a young age.[/quote]

And there lies the reason that an English team will be lucky to win an tournament for the next 5-10 years.

You look at the world cup and names some of the best players teams have.

Brazil - Robinhio, Kaka - neither of them particularily great physical presences on the pitch.

Argentina - Messi, need anyone say any more?

Spain - Fabregas, Iniesta

Lets even look at good English players of the past - Scholes, Owen, Styles . . . .

Having a big frame is only an advantage if the player can do all of the technical things like Huddlestone (better than Carrick or Barry for my money) or Gerrard. But our fascination with phisicality often leaves us with cloggers in the international team. And even then, they were out muscled by a pretty weak German side!

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Agreed we need to face up to how far behind the rest of the world we are. Almost makes me wish we had been stuffed in the World Cup by someone like Germany. That would really have prompted some soul-searching.[/quote]

A bit pedantic maybe, but does our current FIFA ranking of 7th not suggest that most of the rest of the world are, in fact, behind us? Only six other countries in the world are currently ahead of us. We haven''t exactly plummeted down the rankings lately, have we?

I take the point, though, we do need more creativity and it is hard to see who are likely to be the future stars who can turn our fortunes around.