Sign in to follow this  
rondy

strength in depth

RUDDYR. MARTIN  /  NELSON  /  WARD  /  DRURYCROFTS  /  FOX  /  SURMAN  /  HOOLAHANHOLT  /  C. MARTIN

if this is our strongest XI - which i think most would probably agree with, possibly WHITBREAD and JACKSON coming in for NELSON and HOLT / C.MARTIN at some stage, then this, I guess this would more or less be our 2nd XI:RUDDFRANCOMBE  / WHITBREAD  / ASKOU   / S. SMITHS. HUGHES  / K.SMITH  / LAPPIN  / McNAMEEJACKSON  / JOHNSON

So, this got me thinking - would this team beat the starting XI at Charlton that got relegated??

MARSHALLOTSEMOBOR  / DOHERTY  / LEIJER  / SHACKELLSMITH  / RUSSELL  / CLINGAN  / LAPPINLEE  / MOONEYI think it probably would - Im not really sure what im getting at here, but its been a slow day at work and I think it just shows how far we''ve come in a very short space of time under Lambert. Obviously we''re aiming for higher than 22nd place, but if our reserve team is better (?) than our first team last time round then I for one see no reason why we shouldnt be in for another cracking season and pushing for the playoffs at least.. onwards and upwards!Thoughts?

I think you mae a very very good point. I''m not sure the current reserves would beat the relegated eleven hands down on skill level alone, but with Lambert''s management and the gerenal feel-good momentum that''s been generated it would be close. Certainly a very apposite point though.

[quote user="Seat0123"]I think you mae a very very good point. I''m not sure the current reserves would beat the relegated eleven hands down on skill level alone, but with Lambert''s management and the gerenal feel-good momentum that''s been generated it would be close. Certainly a very apposite point though.[/quote]and obviously there''s no Wes in the relegated side which does help my case but yes, was looking at it in more ways than just the XI on the pitch - as you say Lambert factor, feel good factor, tactics and players actually being played in the prefered / best positions..

I''m not so sure if the ''2nd X1'' wouldn''t stand their own in the chanpionship with Gill and Tudor Jones as extras.The one defining thing here is that we have pretty much two players challenging for each place - so when there is an injury, lack of form or simply a different ''style'' required players can be inter changed without the previous way of completely reshuffling - often meaning that players were played out of position, so to speak.What will be interesting is who will come good as the season progresses. Certainly both Nelson and Doherty came in from the cold, as did Lappin. Korry Smith emerged almost from nowhere. Maybe Francombe might follow suit.Other than Hoolahan and Ruddy there''s no one in the squad who would appear to be guaranteed a place - not a bad thing either.

[quote user="City1st"]I''m not so sure if the ''2nd X1'' wouldn''t stand their own in the chanpionship with Gill and Tudor Jones as extras.The one defining thing here is that we have pretty much two players challenging for each place - so when there is an injury, lack of form or simply a different ''style'' required players can be inter changed without the previous way of completely reshuffling - often meaning that players were played out of position, so to speak.What will be interesting is who will come good as the season progresses. Certainly both Nelson and Doherty came in from the cold, as did Lappin. Korry Smith emerged almost from nowhere. Maybe Francombe might follow suit.Other than Hoolahan and Ruddy there''s no one in the squad who would appear to be guaranteed a place - not a bad thing either.

[/quote]I''ve been very impressed with Francombe. Hasn''t looked out of place in the two friendlies I''ve seen, indeed he came to whitebread''s rescue a couple of times at Dereham!

[quote user="Seat0123"][quote user="City1st"]I''m not so sure if the ''2nd X1'' wouldn''t stand their own in the chanpionship with Gill and Tudor Jones as extras.The one defining thing here is that we have pretty much two players challenging for each place - so when there is an injury, lack of form or simply a different ''style'' required players can be inter changed without the previous way of completely reshuffling - often meaning that players were played out of position, so to speak.What will be interesting is who will come good as the season progresses. Certainly both Nelson and Doherty came in from the cold, as did Lappin. Korry Smith emerged almost from nowhere. Maybe Francombe might follow suit.Other than Hoolahan and Ruddy there''s no one in the squad who would appear to be guaranteed a place - not a bad thing either.

[/quote]I''ve been very impressed with Francombe. Hasn''t looked out of place in the two friendlies I''ve seen, indeed he came to whitebread''s rescue a couple of times at Dereham![/quote]

Wow! Really! Came to Whitbreads''s rescue at the mighty Dereham did he?I reckon we''re looking at the new Cafu in young Francombe here [:P]

I think the second eleven would do well in League One. I''m not so certain it''d stand up to the rigours of the Champs