Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Chris Martin - the ONLY thing I can thank Glenn Roeder for...

Glenn Roeder didn''t know his @rse form his elbow when it came to running our club. But I must thank him for sending Chris Martin out on loan, it has improved him no end, and we are certainly reaping the reward for this. What a shame Roeder didn''t recognise his talent, or have the ability to nuture it.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]Glenn Roeder didn''t know his @rse form his elbow when it came to running our club. But I must thank him for sending Chris Martin out on loan, it has improved him no end, and we are certainly reaping the reward for this. What a shame Roeder didn''t recognise his talent, or have the ability to nuture it.[/quote]

Nurture it

Nurture it

Nurture it

I''ve corrected it 3 times in case Tilly is reading it !!!

[quote user="First Wazzock"]Glenn Roeder didn''t know his @rse form his elbow when it came to running our club. But I must thank him for sending Chris Martin out on loan, it has improved him no end, and we are certainly reaping the reward for this. What a shame Roeder didn''t recognise his talent, or have the ability to nuture it.[/quote]But Martin was about 12 then...

the ONLY thing I can thank Glenn Roeder for..

Err....

Wesley Wazzy?

Where''s Wiz Waz. Wes was, wasn''t he Wiz? [:^)]

Maybe its because I genuinely despise the man but I refuse to give him any credit for developing Spillane or Martin as footballers by sending them out on loan. It was simply an attempt by him to get rid of the pair of them. How he honestly believed that OJ Koroma was a better player than Martin I will never know. He simply didn''t like the pair of them and went out of his way to freeze them out. If he had had his way they would both have been sold for peanuts to Luton in the long run. That would have been an absolute disaster as I reckon that Martin has the potential to be an excellent championship striker.

I think Chris Martin came back a better player for his time at Luton. However, I also think he improved even more so over the space of last season than he did that season he had at Luton. But then he always has had a lot of ability and a good football brain, it was just a case of getting it all to work together and  at the level we needed, which is where going out of your comfort zone and getting some good experience really can help.

Spillane, in my opinion, is a bit different. He doesn''t have anywhere near the natural talent that Chris Martin has. The more football he plays the better because experience will improve any player. So, again, it was a good decision to send him out on loan and, as for this season, I have to say that I think Russell Martin is a much better player both defensively and with the ball at his feet.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]Maybe its because I genuinely despise the man but I refuse to give him any credit for developing Spillane or Martin as footballers by sending them out on loan. It was simply an attempt by him to get rid of the pair of them.[/quote]Nail on the head. I also feel he wasn''t doing what was best for the players, or the club really- he just wanted them out of the way.

[quote user="Lrrr"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]Maybe its because I genuinely despise the man but I refuse to give him any credit for developing Spillane or Martin as footballers by sending them out on loan. It was simply an attempt by him to get rid of the pair of them.[/quote]

Nail on the head. I also feel he wasn''t doing what was best for the players, or the club really- he just wanted them out of the way.
[/quote]

I totally agree with you both I was just being ironic.

I also think he would have sold Martin for peanuts, rather than take the time to help him develop.

I hope Roeder never gets to manage ever again.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

Err....

Wesley Wazzy?

[/quote]

Did Wiz mention Wes? [^o)]

Quite right, I''ll always thank Roedent for bringing Wes Hoolahan to the club, the guy is class. I agree with other posters, he sent Martin/Spillane out on loan with a view to getting rid and had he not have been sacked just in time, I feel sure they would both have been sold for small fees. Disastrous manager.

Martin has come on in leaps and bounds, and it is genuinely satisfying to see that. By all accounts, his attitude has turned for the better as well, and he is now more into his football and career, and less of a "hot head" (to coin a "Roy of the Rovers" phrase) as well.

He seems to be one of those players who has a lot of "intelligence" on the football pitch. Hasn''t he been compared to Teddy Sheringham? By that I mean he is a Sheringham-type of player, rather than as good as Teddy! I think he can move on upwards over the next couple of seasons, he clearly has the game and ability, all that might hold him back is that attitude and his own confidence. I hope he does really well for us, and, if, one day, that provokes a big money move for him, then brilliant, well done and thanks. He gets stick for not running about the pitch at 100mph and flying into everything and anyone in doing so, but thats by the by and un-neccessary, his game isn''t all about that at all. The afore mentioned Sheringham didn''t do that either! Good luck to him. If he can get 20 plus goals this season, then he''ll have had an excellent campaign and people certainly will take notice higher up, if they haven''t already.

Whether Roeder saw the talent that he has, or was blinded by the perceived attitude, we''ll never know. But he certainly had no future with us under him.

I think Spillane will turn out to be a decent Championship player, with lots of games and experience to come with Brentford, his problem has always been positional, I always thought he was best as a centre back, and wonder if thats where Brentford will play him? Mind you, I note that they were confused on FM 2010 as well, they have him as "Michael Spillane DR/DC/MRLC" or something!

[quote user="First Wazzock"][quote user="lappinitup"]

Err....

Wesley Wazzy?

[/quote]

Did Wiz mention Wes? [^o)]

[/quote]Eh? [img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/confused2.gif[/img]

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

[quote user="Lrrr"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]Maybe its because I genuinely despise the man but I refuse to give him any credit for developing Spillane or Martin as footballers by sending them out on loan. It was simply an attempt by him to get rid of the pair of them.[/quote]

Nail on the head. I also feel he wasn''t doing what was best for the players, or the club really- he just wanted them out of the way.
[/quote]

I also think he would have sold Martin for peanuts, rather than take the time to help him develop.

[/quote]

Think we have seen the last of him in the world of football, As he has turned his attentions to his wife''s first love, which is Equine and word in the horse world is, he has or is taking on a training stables in Yorkshire,

[quote user="Grif"]Quite right, I''ll always thank Roedent for bringing Wes Hoolahan to the club, the guy is class. I agree with other posters, he sent Martin/Spillane out on loan with a view to getting rid and had he not have been sacked just in time, I feel sure they would both have been sold for small fees. Disastrous manager.[/quote]

Wes Hoolahan is one of the best signings for several seasons.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Now now, don''t be like that. I''m pretty sure a certain team located down the A140 may be in need of a new manager in a few months. I think he''d be perfect!

[quote user="First Wazzock"]Glenn Roeder didn''t know his @rse form his elbow when it came to running our club. But I must thank him for sending Chris Martin out on loan, it has improved him no end, and we are certainly reaping the reward for this. What a shame Roeder didn''t recognise his talent, or have the ability to nuture it.[/quote]

thank god he didn''t see his potential otherwise he would have sold him.

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]One thing people are forgetting is the problems Martin was having off the field, drinking and the nightlife, I think Roeder did the right thing getting him out on loan[/quote]We are all in agreement that it was the right decision, it is just that he did it for the wrong reasons. He was trying to get rid of Martin and Spillane, as opposed to wanting to give them first team football.