Sign in to follow this  
Freethorpe Canary

Lambert's Transfer Acumin

How good is it really?[:^)]He bought Simeon Jackson for £600k when he could''ve got a target man like Clive Platt for a nominal fee. Jackson is a pig in a poke, won''t score for ****, yet flickons could''ve netted us another 20 goals next season. Too late Coventry have nicked him, instead we get David Fox who Holloway released from Blackpool, you can''t say he didn''t know what he was doing cause look where they''re at now. :@We hear Lambert wants Danny Green yet the lad, a cracking prospect, has just signed a contract extension at Dag&Shed so will now cost double to prize away from the tinpot outfit.

[quote user="Freethorpe Canary"]How good is it really?[:^)]He bought Simeon Jackson for £600k when he could''ve got a target man like Clive Platt for a nominal fee. Jackson is a pig in a poke, won''t score for ****, yet flickons could''ve netted us another 20 goals next season. Too late Coventry have nicked him, instead we get David Fox who Holloway released from Blackpool, you can''t say he didn''t know what he was doing cause look where they''re at now. :@We hear Lambert wants Danny Green yet the lad, a cracking prospect, has just signed a contract extension at Dag&Shed so will now cost double to prize away from the tinpot outfit.[/quote]Simeon''s a good player and has scored goals where ever he''s been, he''s only 23 and he''s got a fair bit of potential. 600k feels a little excessive but it could well prove to be a good bit of business, we can''t judge him after a few goalless pre-season friendlies.Get ready for a barrage of abuse though.

Gillignham were believed to have rejected an offer of about £2 million from Leicester for Simeon supposedly, a number of pundits heralded him as the next big thing, with Claridge claiming he was worth round the £3 million mark, whilst a fair few Premier League sides were reported to of been interested in the season before last.At the mere age of 22 last season he was, for the most part as a fairly small striker, playing at the top of a hopeless for 4-5-1 formation at Gillingham, without any close support in a side destined for relegation... And he scored 18 goals.But no, your probably right. An ageing Clive Platt would of been worth a few 100k as a back-up player that would make about 11 or 12 appearances, and scoring about 2, possibly 3 goals if we''re pushing it would have been great. [Y]

Probably worth mentioning Holloway explicitly regretted letting Fox go.And Danny Green, whilst promising, has bar 1 season been pretty sub-standard. If we''re comparing prospects he doesn''t come remotely close to Jackson, and his successes in the lower leagues at Green''s age.

Right Platt only got 7 assists last season and a lousy 7 goals last season that was with 36 starts.

Holt, Hoolahan and Lappin all got more assists than that so I don''t think we need more people getting assists and with our midfield who can create lots of chance I''d rather have two strikers that can score goals I don''t want a poorer version of Emile Heskey upfront.

Jackson proved that he could score goals even in a relegated team and he got 6 assists so your reasoning for assists is unproven and give him a chance maybe after 3 months without a goal I''ll agree with you but wait until the proper games come along and not base it on the fact he hasn''t scored in pre season because basically only Chris Martin has.

and just because a player get released from somewhere doesn''t mean they are any good

didn''t we release Dion Dublin years ago he proved alright didn''t he?

Some managers like some players that others don''t its simple thats why Roeder stupidly got rid of Huckerby are you telling me because he got released he can''t be any good?

and tin pot club? You sound a Man Utd/Leeds fan don''t taunt smaller clubs they''re only one division below us remember the one we were in because we were such a ''big club'' and Dagenham and Redbridge fans would not look kindly on your words they support their local club with pride and passion just like any other team be that Barcelona or Kings Lynn.

We have our history and support but at the end of day I''d rather be where Wigan which is in the premiership at the moment with little history and little support despite what we have.

Ohh and not to mention the ''tinpot club'' did beat us albeit a friendly but still a win is a win however small.

Finally close minded people like you annoy me and Simeon is a he not an it and Coventry are welcome to him not that saying I wouldn''t mind another tall physical presence as back up for Holt just a far better one than Platt.

[quote user="NCFC Sinky"]Right Platt only got 7 assists last season and a lousy 7 goals last season that was with 36 starts.

Holt, Hoolahan and Lappin all got more assists than that so I don''t think we need more people getting assists and with our midfield who can create lots of chance I''d rather have two strikers that can score goals I don''t want a poorer version of Emile Heskey upfront.

Jackson proved that he could score goals even in a relegated team and he got 6 assists so your reasoning for assists is unproven and give him a chance maybe after 3 months without a goal I''ll agree with you but wait until the proper games come along and not base it on the fact he hasn''t scored in pre season because basically only Chris Martin has.

and just because a player get released from somewhere doesn''t mean they are any good

didn''t we release Dion Dublin years ago he proved alright didn''t he?

Some managers like some players that others don''t its simple thats why Roeder stupidly got rid of Huckerby are you telling me because he got released he can''t be any good?

and tin pot club? You sound a Man Utd/Leeds fan don''t taunt smaller clubs they''re only one division below us remember the one we were in because we were such a ''big club'' and Dagenham and Redbridge fans would not look kindly on your words they support their local club with pride and passion just like any other team be that Barcelona or Kings Lynn.

We have our history and support but at the end of day I''d rather be where Wigan which is in the premiership at the moment with little history and little support despite what we have.

Ohh and not to mention the ''tinpot club'' did beat us albeit a friendly but still a win is a win however small.

Finally close minded people like you annoy me and Simeon is a he not an it and Coventry are welcome to him not that saying I wouldn''t mind another tall physical presence as back up for Holt just a far better one than Platt.[/quote]Post of the day already. [Y]

Having seen most of his signings play against Newcastle on Saturday I think he would appear to have done some great business so far in terms of new players.

[quote user="Freethorpe Canary"]Jackson is a pig in a poke[/quote]

Pig in a poke: "An

offering or deal that is foolishly accepted without being examined first."

Not quite sure what you''re getting at here. 

Obviously I think this post is a wind up but how on earth is Clive Platt a better signing than Simeon Jackson. Jackson has a great goalscoring record at league 1 and league 2 level whereas as Platt has always struggled to score goals regularly. Jackson is 23 so his peak years are ahead of him. I guess £600,000 may seem a little steep but if he scores goals he will have an excellent resale value. Even if Platt is a success (very unlikely) he is 32 and can only be seen as a stop gap for a year of so. In short Jackson for me is clearly the better signing as he offers much more in both the short and long term.

I think you demonstrated your lack of football knowledge completley in your post. Clive Platt is 32, I would say he''s past it but in all honesty I''m not sure he ever had anything to offer in the first place. He''s one dimensional that''s only good because he''s tall and strong. He wouldn''t fit in with the style of football that Lambert seems to be aiming for (neat passing on the ground) whereas he would be ok for Cov as well let''s face it they''re going to be playing hoofball.

Davo

I find it amazing that the same names get bandied about as if they were the only players out there. Platt is the ultimate donkey, yet some seem to see him as fitting in to our fast passing game. Given that his second touch is invariably a tackle I fail to see the logic in that. Green has done well in the lower divisions, but is very much unproven. Given that we are showing no signs of wanting to play one winger, let alone two, I can''t understand the obsession with him.

Lambert has gone out and bought players who can play the way he wants, and I''m happy enough to trust his judgement rather than making wild assumptions on the basis of very little first hand experience of the new squad.

Why is Lambert''s transfer a popular spice? Missed something here.

Are you referencing the versatile flavour he brings to the induction of new playing staff? Or perhaps it is the spicy way in which he navigates the seedy world of overpaid old pros, finding gems in the lower leagues that you are praising.

Please to explain.

I''m waiting for someone to pipe up about how it works on Championship Manager,and where and when to get players in from, All these so called Machine playing managers should try to open the front door and walk into the real world. Norwich city play at Carrow road not your bloody living room   

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Freethorpe Canary"]Jackson is a pig in a poke
[/quote]

Pig in a poke: "An offering or deal that is foolishly accepted without being examined first."

Not quite sure what you''re getting at here. 
[/quote]

A variant of ''fox in the box''?

I think the op was kidding - trying to get a reaction. Bless him/her. I wouldn''t have minded Platt though... I know this wont be a popular thought but Platt would have been good up top next to Martin or Simeon if Holt was out injured or subbed etc... He won''t score many this season but he does a good job making space for players around him.