Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Squares (the pub) has closed.

On a match day there must have well over 500 people in this

place, is there any of you readers an ex Squares attendee? & where are you

heading now?  Any recommendations on venues, preferably with Sky sports

and not having to fight your way to the bar?

Used to go there quite a lot. Mainly to watch the dinnertime game. It had the bonus of being close to the ground so you could have that extra pint [B]Looking like Lloyds ( although it will be even more difficult to get served ) or possibly Rocco''s.Any suggestions of other pre-match watering holes?

The clarence harbour is good. Oh....wait! How about the rosary. Oh yeah, the kingsway then? Damn it! It''s getting bloody ridiculous. I used to love the rosary, in the prem season and the season before it was awesome. Is nowhere safe?

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]The clarence harbour is good. Oh....wait! How about the rosary. Oh yeah, the kingsway then? Damn it! It''s getting bloody ridiculous. I used to love the rosary, in the prem season and the season before it was awesome. Is nowhere safe?[/quote]

Is Scamps still open?

[quote user="Henry"]Used to go there quite a lot. Mainly to watch the dinnertime game. It had the bonus of being close to the ground so you could have that extra pint [B]

Looking like Lloyds ( although it will be even more difficult to get served ) or possibly Rocco''s.

Any suggestions of other pre-match watering holes?
[/quote]

The coach and horses is usually pretty decent before a game.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="Henry"]Used to go there quite a lot. Mainly to watch the dinnertime game. It had the bonus of being close to the ground so you could have that extra pint [B]

Looking like Lloyds ( although it will be even more difficult to get served ) or possibly Rocco''s.

Any suggestions of other pre-match watering holes?
[/quote]

The coach and horses is usually pretty decent before a game.

[/quote]

It is, but it gets rammed doesn''t it? Squares wasn''t the nicest place in the world but it was close to the ground and it didn''t take too long to get served. Hopefully something will open up there?

[quote user="Henry"]Used to go there quite a lot. Mainly to watch the dinnertime game. It had the bonus of being close to the ground so you could have that extra pint [B]Looking like Lloyds ( although it will be even more difficult to get served ) or possibly Rocco''s.Any suggestions of other pre-match watering holes?[/quote]I''m with you Henry (not in a literal sense of course), Squares was good for the lunch time kick off, and the late afternoon kick off after the game, Lloyds doesn''t have the sports channels which lets it down.  Good atmosphere in C&H, but as suggested, it gets rammed.  I hope Squares is purchased and given a make over, well a change of non sticking carpet will be a start.  The Ferry Boat has been bought, but its going to be a hostel/backpackers place, i''m unsure if it will have a bar?

Any of the pubs up near Hall Road are great and only a five minute walk from the ground. The Freemason''s Arms, The Rose, The King Arms... All great pubs that serve some nice ales and close to the ground. Plus in the winter you get to traverse the hill of death which is always entertaining.

Although Squares, Norwegian Blue and Brannigans were all rather plastic bars and real ale-free zones, I still feel a tinge of sadness that they have gone - must be getting rather soppily sentimental in me old age! I can remember going down to Riverside one (TUESDAY) night in the summer about ten years ago - soon after the whole complex was first up and running - and the entire area was heaving with people. All the bars were quite full and there must have been a couple of thousand people milling around outside too. This wasn''t a match day I hasten to add. It''s the end of an era.

[quote user="CallsignViper"]Any of the pubs up near Hall Road are great and only a five minute walk from the ground. The Freemason''s Arms, The Rose, The King Arms... All great pubs that serve some nice ales and close to the ground. Plus in the winter you get to traverse the hill of death which is always entertaining.
[/quote]

[:D]

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]The clarence harbour is good. Oh....wait! How about the rosary. Oh yeah, the kingsway then? Damn it! It''s getting bloody ridiculous. I used to love the rosary, in the prem season and the season before it was awesome. Is nowhere safe?[/quote]

Is Scamps still open?

[/quote]

Way before my time,but was told ages ago when talking about away fans pubs in norwich,that there was a pub opposite the kingsway....abd my brother used to meet his mates and other "lads" in the 70`s in a pub called the pheasnant cock which was run by a boxing family....

[quote user="Dan Druff"]Although Squares, Norwegian Blue and Brannigans were all rather plastic bars and real ale-free zones, I still feel a tinge of sadness that they have gone - must be getting rather soppily sentimental in me old age! I can remember going down to Riverside one (TUESDAY) night in the summer about ten years ago - soon after the whole complex was first up and running - and the entire area was heaving with people. All the bars were quite full and there must have been a couple of thousand people milling around outside too. This wasn''t a match day I hasten to add. It''s the end of an era.[/quote]Indeed. I used to work in Lloyds 2002-03; Tuesday was student night (2 jugs of vodka and Red Bull for £7.50, IIRC) and it truly was silly season. Especially in Summer, when it became like the strip in Magaluf.Having moved to London in 2006 and not going ''out'' in Norwich anymore I hadn''t realised lots of the Riverside was now untenanted - so that''s those three out of action, what else has shut down?Real shame imo - some of the best times of my life were had down there. [:(]

McNasty is closing them all down one by one, then the only place to get a drink will be in the ground.£5 a pint anyone?

It will be Mustard Pot for me from now on asmy mate has just bought a flat behind it!

How much do you pay for a pint? Here im Sweden it cost around £4.5...That is for around 50 cl....

Last week I was in Prague, and I was a little bit surprised that I could get a fine beer for only around £1- £1,5....

Honestly, I won''t miss it at all. Not only was it a dump, but at times the prices were stupid compared to the more wallet friendly Lloyd''s just down the road. Lloyd''s is always my first port of call anyway. If you order a couple of drinks at a time and take it in turns, then what''s the big deal? There are plenty of other watering holes in the city with cheaper drinks prices than Sqaures. Who knows, something may even come along in it''s place and have cheaper drinks as a result.Somewhat co-incidentally, Squares used to be the matchday sponsor (or kit sponsor, or something) for Jamie Cureton. I''ll leave you to draw your own potential conclusions!

[quote user="Calle"]How much do you pay for a pint? Here im Sweden it cost around £4.5...That is for around 50 cl....

Last week I was in Prague, and I was a little bit surprised that I could get a fine beer for only around £1- £1,5....[/quote]it`s around £2.20 - £2.50 depending where you go, don`t know how much a bottle of piss in the ground will cost now though.

There are so many pubs that are around the ground or in the city that people should really go to. Riverside is a dump poor bars and poor restaurants.

The simple answer is for an independent to open a huge sports bar through square and maybe norweigan blue, with screens showing all sports, F1, golf, football, rugby, tennis. The city has needed a sports bar for year perfect location.

Do remember that the bar at the new bowling place will be open soon that was always better than squares. Squares was good for one year in Norwich and then you went elsewhere in the country and realised it was dead everywhere else and closing down.

Support local pubs and city pubs, just be thankful our ground is in the city centre

[quote user="I am a Banana"]go to the ground, give your money to norwich![/quote]

You should practice what you preach - Don''t go to Morrisons buy your stuff in the ground. [;)]

[quote user="Pabs"]It will be Mustard Pot for me from now on asmy mate has just bought a flat behind it![/quote]

Cracking pint of Adnams in there!