Sign in to follow this  
TheGoogler

So, here's my annual waste of time prediction thread

With the new season now just over a week away (I normally leave this until under a week away, but am off on holiday, so you lucky people get it early) I thought I''d share my thoughts on what the final league table would be.

Please note, I do not have any crystal balls to refer to and delicately rub like some, nor do I make any attempt at humour in small, pointless pictures like others. If you''re here for either of those - best leave now. I should also point out, I am never right.

So, here''s my final table

1. Middlesborough - Some superb signings this season coupled with keeping current stars, offloading wastes of space from last season and IMO the signing of last season in Barry Robson means I can''t really look past Boro for that top spot.

2. Reading - Since Brian McDermott took over, Reading have not looked back. Not particularly strengthened, but not lost any of their better players. I really think Reading will be the surprise of this season.

3. Nottingham Forest - Another strong team with some superb players and I think could push the top two very close. Have lost one key player, though, and rumours suggest the vultures are swooping for others too. Their season could depend on them keeping these players.

4. Bristol City - This is where I think the rest of the pack will fragment. I think the gap between third and fourth will be fairly large - but I think Bristol will be the team to fill it. I like Nicky Maynard is probably the best striker in this division. Yes, some would refer to Chopra, but I think Chopra has a better team around him. Maynard does it without the same level of support, and at his age I believe he''ll go on to be a good Premiership striker too.

5. Doncaster - My next surprise. Doncaster have strengthened very well with the signings of Billy Sharp and are still rumoured to be looking to bring Andy Keogh in on loan too. If they can reunite the Keogh - Sharp strike force that fired Scunthorpe so far, I think they''ll be one of the best strike duos in this division.

6. QPR - As much as I hate Neil Warnock, and as much as I think they lack a natural goalscorer, you cannot deny that Warnock gets his teams scoring and playing good football. I think QPR have some good players as well, and the signing of Paddy Kenny will prove to be a masterstroke in my eyes.

7. Leicester - Losing Nigel Pearson is a blow, but Sousa is an effective if somewhat ugly style of manager. I don''t, however, think they''ll get in the play offs. I also think under Sousa you''ll see a return to form of Steve Howard.

8. Burnley - I don''t mind Burnley. I''ve always admired them and thought they''re a good little side. But Brian Laws? Seriously, I don''t think he''s a capable manager whatsoever - and I would have a sneaky bet that he''s one of the first managers to get the boot.

9. Sheffield Utd - Another team with some good players but not a club I think are well organised. They have a big squad too, and I think they''ll struggle to keep everyone happy. They''ll want play offs but I think will miss it quite considerably.

10. Cardiff - I can see Cardiff losing Chopra and Whittingham - and when that happens I don''t think they''ll recover. For that reason, I''ve given them a relatively low finish. Well, low for their standards.

11. Preston - Another team I like and I think will do well; Darren Ferguson is a good manager at this level and I think with his own squad fashioned how he likes will do well.

12. Hull City - Hull will have an indifferent season, destroying some teams and looking like relegation fodder against others. I also don''t see where the goals will come from and I suspect the club will loose a few more players yet.

13. Norwich City - We won the league last season because we outscored everyone else. This season, I think you''ll see less goals scored, but less conceeded too. I think we''ll be more organised, play better, more imaginative football but be more thwarted by better defences.

14. Barnsley - Mark Robins is a superb manager and has made some superb signings IMO. Yes, the loss of Bogdanovic is a blow but I think you''ll see Barnsley grind a number of draws out.

15. Swansea - Another team with some good players but I think lack the team spirit and the goalscorer to really hit the heights of previous seasons.

16. Leeds - Stuttered over the line last season and I fully expect them to continue that stuttering form into this season - especially with the loss of top scorer Jermaine Beckford and Luciano Becchio apparently soon to follow.

17. Ipswich - So, you are Roy Keane. You end last season having had a much better second half of the season because you bring in a striker who scores goals. So, what is the first thing you do this season? Surely it must be sign a goalscoring striker? Nope - in Roy Keane''s case he signs a barely tested Sunderland Irish lad and a 34 year old Irish man from Cardiff. Oh - and let''s not forget the goalkeeper from, yes you guessed it, Sunderland. Sunderland Reserves FC will have a poor season and Keane will shortly follow Mr Laws out of the door, IMO.

18. Coventry - Aidy Hoofroyd is not a good manager, despite what Coventry fans are trying to convince themselves. The release of Clinton Morrison to be replaced by Clive Platt tells you all about where they''re going. Even the signing of Lee Carsley, a great capture for any team, will not help the problems they face.

19. Derby - Another team who I think are managed by a poor manager. I also don''t think they have really many good players in the team. I would be surprised if they managed to achieve much more than a low second half finish.

20. Millwall - I think Millwall are a good, strong team lead by an equally good manager, but they do suffer from a distinct lack of experienced, Championship players. I think they may struggle against the bigger teams but do better against those in and around them. I also think they''ll be a club whose away record seriously lets them down.

21. Crystal Palace - George Burley may be ex-scum, but I think he''s a good manager. Between appointing him and keeping Darren Ambrose, I think they may just sneak out of the relegation spots.

22. Scunthorpe - Sorry, Scunthorpe. I think you''ve had a good innings in this division and I think you have some good players too. But I just don''t see how you''ll survive in this division without Gary Hooper.

23. Watford - Another team I really like and managed by a manager we all know and like - but I think they are a fragile team who, with some bad luck and injuries, could really struggle. I don''t think they have a bad first eleven, but the depth to their squad is almost non-existant, and I struggle to see where the creative spark will come from.

24. Portsmouth - Just who exactly will they get to play for them? I simply can''t see how Pompey will be a competitive team in this division.

So, that''s it - my predictions. And I''m sure I''ll be proven totally wrong over the season and Pompey will comfortably win the division. You heard it here first!

Still cant see pompey going down.

cant see preston finishing ahead of us - but i may just be bias.

I think bristol city will be there or thereabouts with steve coppel.

p.s. ipswich is 100% corect [;)]

A good read Googler - can''t say I 100% agree though.

I know it''s a cliche nowadays but this league really is impossible to predict - and reading you post confirms that.

Agree about Bristol City & Doncaster, not so much Reading, think they''ll be average at best. For me Preston will struggle along with all the teams you mentioned except Ipswich. However much we laughed at them last year and their lack of signings, I just can''t see them struggling again.

My picks for promotion and relegation are - 1st QPR, 2nd Bristol City, Playoffs Doncaster

Relegated - Scunthorpe, Preston, Swansea.

Good assessment Googler.

I think it''s so wide open as it is the strongest second division for years it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

WSC: Totally agree, it''s impossible to predict and there will be a surprise. But thats the fun in these threads. In ten months time we can look back and realise just how wrong we are!

First Wazzock: I wouldn''t say it''s the strongest division ever, but I would say it''s the most open. I think the gap between fourth and the relegation zone will be fairly minimal.

I''d say that''s a pretty good shout all round. Boro and Reading look good, think Burnley could be in the top two as well. Don''t think much of Forest or QPR though. Watford to go down looks nailed on at 11/4 and - what about the 10/1 on Leeds going down? Fingers crossed!

Good post.I''d argue that Palace will do slightly better and Coventry will do slightly worse, any team relying on Clive Platt up front is going to be short on goals.  I also think we''ll finish above Doncaster Rovers, but most of your top 4 reasoning makes sense.Enjoy your holiday.

Here''s mine, no reasons just for fun.

1. Boro''

2. Norwich

3. Burnley

4. Hull

5. Forest

6. Leicester

7. QPR

8. Doncaster

9. Sheffield Utd

10. Reading

11. Bristol City

12. Swansea

13. Preston

14. Portsmouth

15. Barnsley

16. Coventry

17. Derby

18. Scunthorpe

19. Cardiff

20. Leeds

21. Watford

22. Scum

23. Millwall

24. Palace

[quote user="TheGoogler"]With the new season now just over a week away (I normally leave this until under a week away, but am off on holiday, so you lucky people get it early) I thought I''d share my thoughts on what the final league table would be.

Please note, I do not have any crystal balls to refer to and delicately rub like some, nor do I make any attempt at humour in small, pointless pictures like others. If you''re here for either of those - best leave now. I should also point out, I am never right.

So, here''s my final table

1. Middlesborough - Some superb signings this season coupled with keeping current stars, offloading wastes of space from last season and IMO the signing of last season in Barry Robson means I can''t really look past Boro for that top spot.

2. Reading - Since Brian McDermott took over, Reading have not looked back. Not particularly strengthened, but not lost any of their better players. I really think Reading will be the surprise of this season.

3. Nottingham Forest - Another strong team with some superb players and I think could push the top two very close. Have lost one key player, though, and rumours suggest the vultures are swooping for others too. Their season could depend on them keeping these players.

4. Bristol City - This is where I think the rest of the pack will fragment. I think the gap between third and fourth will be fairly large - but I think Bristol will be the team to fill it. I like Nicky Maynard is probably the best striker in this division. Yes, some would refer to Chopra, but I think Chopra has a better team around him. Maynard does it without the same level of support, and at his age I believe he''ll go on to be a good Premiership striker too.

5. Doncaster - My next surprise. Doncaster have strengthened very well with the signings of Billy Sharp and are still rumoured to be looking to bring Andy Keogh in on loan too. If they can reunite the Keogh - Sharp strike force that fired Scunthorpe so far, I think they''ll be one of the best strike duos in this division.

6. QPR - As much as I hate Neil Warnock, and as much as I think they lack a natural goalscorer, you cannot deny that Warnock gets his teams scoring and playing good football. I think QPR have some good players as well, and the signing of Paddy Kenny will prove to be a masterstroke in my eyes.

7. Leicester - Losing Nigel Pearson is a blow, but Sousa is an effective if somewhat ugly style of manager. I don''t, however, think they''ll get in the play offs. I also think under Sousa you''ll see a return to form of Steve Howard.

8. Burnley - I don''t mind Burnley. I''ve always admired them and thought they''re a good little side. But Brian Laws? Seriously, I don''t think he''s a capable manager whatsoever - and I would have a sneaky bet that he''s one of the first managers to get the boot.

9. Sheffield Utd - Another team with some good players but not a club I think are well organised. They have a big squad too, and I think they''ll struggle to keep everyone happy. They''ll want play offs but I think will miss it quite considerably.

10. Cardiff - I can see Cardiff losing Chopra and Whittingham - and when that happens I don''t think they''ll recover. For that reason, I''ve given them a relatively low finish. Well, low for their standards.

11. Preston - Another team I like and I think will do well; Darren Ferguson is a good manager at this level and I think with his own squad fashioned how he likes will do well.

12. Hull City - Hull will have an indifferent season, destroying some teams and looking like relegation fodder against others. I also don''t see where the goals will come from and I suspect the club will loose a few more players yet.

13. Norwich City - We won the league last season because we outscored everyone else. This season, I think you''ll see less goals scored, but less conceeded too. I think we''ll be more organised, play better, more imaginative football but be more thwarted by better defences.

14. Barnsley - Mark Robins is a superb manager and has made some superb signings IMO. Yes, the loss of Bogdanovic is a blow but I think you''ll see Barnsley grind a number of draws out.

15. Swansea - Another team with some good players but I think lack the team spirit and the goalscorer to really hit the heights of previous seasons.

16. Leeds - Stuttered over the line last season and I fully expect them to continue that stuttering form into this season - especially with the loss of top scorer Jermaine Beckford and Luciano Becchio apparently soon to follow.

17. Ipswich - So, you are Roy Keane. You end last season having had a much better second half of the season because you bring in a striker who scores goals. So, what is the first thing you do this season? Surely it must be sign a goalscoring striker? Nope - in Roy Keane''s case he signs a barely tested Sunderland Irish lad and a 34 year old Irish man from Cardiff. Oh - and let''s not forget the goalkeeper from, yes you guessed it, Sunderland. Sunderland Reserves FC will have a poor season and Keane will shortly follow Mr Laws out of the door, IMO.

18. Coventry - Aidy Hoofroyd is not a good manager, despite what Coventry fans are trying to convince themselves. The release of Clinton Morrison to be replaced by Clive Platt tells you all about where they''re going. Even the signing of Lee Carsley, a great capture for any team, will not help the problems they face.

19. Derby - Another team who I think are managed by a poor manager. I also don''t think they have really many good players in the team. I would be surprised if they managed to achieve much more than a low second half finish.

20. Millwall - I think Millwall are a good, strong team lead by an equally good manager, but they do suffer from a distinct lack of experienced, Championship players. I think they may struggle against the bigger teams but do better against those in and around them. I also think they''ll be a club whose away record seriously lets them down.

21. Crystal Palace - George Burley may be ex-scum, but I think he''s a good manager. Between appointing him and keeping Darren Ambrose, I think they may just sneak out of the relegation spots.

22. Scunthorpe - Sorry, Scunthorpe. I think you''ve had a good innings in this division and I think you have some good players too. But I just don''t see how you''ll survive in this division without Gary Hooper.

23. Watford - Another team I really like and managed by a manager we all know and like - but I think they are a fragile team who, with some bad luck and injuries, could really struggle. I don''t think they have a bad first eleven, but the depth to their squad is almost non-existant, and I struggle to see where the creative spark will come from.

24. Portsmouth - Just who exactly will they get to play for them? I simply can''t see how Pompey will be a competitive team in this division.

So, that''s it - my predictions. And I''m sure I''ll be proven totally wrong over the season and Pompey will comfortably win the division. You heard it here first![/quote]

I think you mean we will score "fewer" goals and concede "fewer" goals.  Not that  the goals scored and conceded will be worse in quality or substance which is what you said. Nice post though I would have preferred some "pointless" humour.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]WSC: Totally agree, it''s impossible to predict and there will be a surprise. But thats the fun in these threads. In ten months time we can look back and realise just how wrong we are! First Wazzock: I wouldn''t say it''s the strongest division ever, but I would say it''s the most open. I think the gap between fourth and the relegation zone will be fairly minimal.[/quote]Well done Googler, a well thought out and reasoned opening post. I''ve noticed on other threads people predicting Cardiff to do well again after last seasons play-off final but like you, think they will lose Chopra and Whittingham and all this after Joe Ledley has already gone. Holding players wages back and a transfer embargo are hardly the ingredients for a successful season.

Again, I agree with your Portsmouth assessment, if HMCR are successful with their appeal next week then they will be starting the season without a CVA and therefore facing further points deductions. Even if they win the appeal they will still be in dire straights and I feel they are going to be another Luton, sliding through the leagues.

I do disagree with your NCFC prediction however, I do think we are better than 13th and will be very surprised to see us finish less than 8th. But, as you say, it''s all about opinions.

A very good post. whether you are right or wrong doesn''t matter, you have a convincing argument for where you have placed each. I would of put us a little higher though. My argument for this is Lambert seems to have built a team mentality that even when not playing so well we win at home. I don''t think so many teams will be as defensive at Carrow Road as last season but I think that will play into our hands because unless they are well organised and disciplined at the back I can see us taking advantage of the space, especially now we have some pace up front in Jackson. I honestly believe that because of this and the fact we''ll be capable of winning away from home , especially against the slightly poorer teams we will win more games than we loose. On that judging by last years table we''ll finish 10th or above.

Davo