Sign in to follow this  
Pabs

Scunthorpe away plans

Hi

Is anyone going to the Scunthorpe away game? I have booked two tickets and also staying at the Travelodge near the ground on the Sat night (classy, I know)

I know it is a bit of a chavy town but anyone got any ideas of good away fans pubs or places to go for a nice evening out with a few beers?

I wouldn''t recommend Scunthorpe for a night out tbh, it''s pretty small and grubby.

Me and my mates are going out in Leeds on the Saturday but since you''ve booked your travelodge that doesn''t really help!

I know it is pretty small and grubby...we are not really bothered about getting smashed or going clubbing or anything. Just want to have a few beers pre and post match and meet some fellow Canaries

We looked into other places but the logistics and travelling around were a bit tricky...still anyone got any ideas who has been there before?

I live in scunny. Its not chavvy its an ok night ou,t norwich is much better obviously but scunny is not that bad.

If your staying at the travel lodge near the ground the nearest pub is next door called the old farm house that pub is a nice pub.

If you go into town, taxi guessing about4/ 5 quid max? best taxi firm 01724 855555 or 01724 844444.

HIGH STREET -

In the middle of town you have geneva bar near mcdonalds/ lloyds tsb, across from there you have harry charsworth pub which is ok.

Then head up town and on your left you have barracuda bar which is good.

Oswald road -

Then at the top of town on your left when you walk up there is the bluebell its a wetherspoons.

Next to that is ''The light'' night club (formally a church) which is the best night club in town.

Doncaster road -

Across the road from the light is class 6 bar which is a nice little place to go.

Walk down doncaster road away from the high street at the top of town and you will find love2love and studio25 (formally known as henry''s, henry africa''s or time. All the locals still call it henry''s) This place is normally full of younger drinkers early 20''s. (I feel old going to it and im only 29!) the light is much better.

Walk 3 or 4 more minutes down doncaster road and there is the royal hotel which is ok for a pint.

Frodingham road -

Also across the road from the light is Schnapps bar. It used to be a good place to go but now this place is chavvy and for kids looking for fights and the local polish wanting a punch up, shame because it used to be ok.

Across the other side of the road from schnapps is the mary rose pub which is nice for a pint.

stay this end of frodingham road. Dont go down it because you are then in the red light district, with the local polish, smack heads and rough pubs at the end.

The light, bluebell, class 6 and the mary rose are all 2 mins walking distance.

Around the corner from the light, across the road from class 6 (doncaster road) is the taxi place to get your taxi back at the end of the night.

Have a good night!

Bryangunnshairline - thank you very much for the info - i have written down all your tips and ''do nots.'' Now looking forward to it - I don''t care what kind of place you go to - if you do a bit of research and with good people you have a good night!

Any particular tips for restaurants ie. Indians?!

I have heard the Farmhouse pub doesnt let you in if you have colours on...true?

bellini( formally geovanis) italian on oswald road across the road from the bluebell is nice.

colosseo is a nice little resturant but its down one of the back streets its on ravendale street north. As for indians i would not like to recommend any as they change so often in town and ive not been to one in town for a while. Last time i did it was on doncaster road just up from class 6 the other side of the road. cant rem name at time.

As for the old farmhouse not letting you in, in colours im not sure. Ive just signed for their footy team so will ask if im in there before the city game.

personally on matchday I will probably go to geneva bar then bluebell then head down to the old farm house. I wont be wearing colours because there is a small amount of knobhead scunny fans and cant be arsed with it (Although I now live in scunny when Norwich come to town im city and dont give a monkeys arse about scunny!) but there has been some trouble in town in the past with leeds/ sheff utd ect.

If you want to wear colours nip to the travel inn just before the game and stick them on!

Also if your looking for somewhere with a band then howdens lodge next to the train station is always a good bet. normally a band on at weekends. Sometimes its kareoke though.

oh and the honest lawyer on oswald road is a gay pub, never any women in there unless you are into that sort of thing ha.

there is also bamboogie near baracuda at the top of town which plays alot of 80''s music. It is abit dingy looking but its a laugh and if you like your 80''s music........

baracuda is like a smaller walkabout style sports bar.

If you are looking for middle aged women who are looking for hot blooded males then blarney stone or blarneys is the place its at the bottom of town just off the high street around the corner from geneva bar. costs a few quid to get in. You can get some mingers in there but at the same time its sometimes a laugh. cheaper than the light and has a big enough bar and dance floor.