Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

25% increase in refreshment prices

We are used to the price of refreshments being increased each season, but I do think the latest hike is difficult to justify.

Last season the price of a cup of coffee at the ground went up from £1.40 (I think) to £1.60. This seemed reasonable, and at the time I was told that the increase was due to the use of fair trade coffee, and slightly larger cups - however it was only a few weeks before the club reverted back to the old unfair trade stuff again.

I was therefor pretty surprised when I was charged £2 for a cardboard cup half-full of lukewarm coffee at the Newcastle game.... an increase of 25%.

I appreciate the club need to improve profitability, but this is a bit steep. I can get a nice latte for that in the city.

I''m afraid they have shot themselves in the foot as far as my half-time refreshment is concerned - I taking a flask from now on.

No, I''m not being tight, but the club needs to realise that they are not the only ones who have been hit by the economic downturn... their fans have been too.

I go to Costa and get a coffee on the way, and then Morrissons for drinks and sweets for the kids.Nuts to paying the rip off prices at the ground lol.

[quote user="Herman "]How much for the plastic pis... beer?[/quote]Indeed, surely they can''t justify an increase in the warm fizzy dishwater they pass off as Beer?

[quote user="Sooty57"]We are used to the price of refreshments being increased each season, but I do think the latest hike is difficult to justify.

Last season the price of a cup of coffee at the ground went up from £1.40 (I think) to £1.60. This seemed reasonable, and at the time I was told that the increase was due to the use of fair trade coffee, and slightly larger cups - however it was only a few weeks before the club reverted back to the old unfair trade stuff again.

I was therefor pretty surprised when I was charged £2 for a cardboard cup half-full of lukewarm coffee at the Newcastle game.... an increase of 25%.

I appreciate the club need to improve profitability, but this is a bit steep. I can get a nice latte for that in the city.

I''m afraid they have shot themselves in the foot as far as my half-time refreshment is concerned - I taking a flask from now on.

No, I''m not being tight, but the club needs to realise that they are not the only ones who have been hit by the economic downturn... their fans have been too.[/quote]That''s fine, and you''re taking the right approach. If more people do what you''re doing and take flasks in then the club will notice and eventually reprice or withdraw coffee from the menu.Having spent a fair bit of time at the N&N recently where coffee is £1.30 a cup, I don''t object too much to paying £2 as part of an afternoon''s entertainment - but it''s down to personal choice and I''m glad you''re not just complaining but have found a practical solution.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Sooty57"]We are used to the price of refreshments being increased each season, but I do think the latest hike is difficult to justify.

No, I''m not being tight, but the club needs to realise that they are not the only ones who have been hit by the economic downturn... their fans have been too.[/quote]That''s fine, and you''re taking the right approach. If more people do what you''re doing and take flasks in then the club will notice and eventually reprice or withdraw coffee from the menu.Having spent a fair bit of time at the N&N recently where coffee is £1.30 a cup, I don''t object too much to paying £2 as part of an afternoon''s entertainment - but it''s down to personal choice and I''m glad you''re not just complaining but have found a practical solution.[/quote]It''s obvious what more people will do whether they complain or not.  They''ll take their own in a flask.  Or take the hot water in a flask and bring one or two of those cappuccino sachets.It hits families more if they buy from the snack bar as it all adds up.  If you''re going with mates and just buying for yourself I suppose you''ll pay the extra because it saves carrying a flask.

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="Herman "]How much for the plastic pis... beer?[/quote]

Indeed, surely they can''t justify an increase in the warm fizzy dishwater they pass off as Beer?
[/quote]

It is poor isn''t it.The trouble is i like getting to the ground with plenty of time and relaxing with a beer.But the others are right,instead of me complaining,i should just go to another pub and get to the ground a bit later.And if a few of us did it......

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="Herman "]How much for the plastic pis... beer?[/quote]Indeed, surely they can''t justify an increase in the warm fizzy dishwater they pass off as Beer?[/quote]

It is poor isn''t it.The trouble is i like getting to the ground with plenty of time and relaxing with a beer.But the others are right,instead of me complaining,i should just go to another pub and get to the ground a bit later.And if a few of us did it......

[/quote]Thats exactly what I do, if I plan on a beer before the game I go to the Nelson and get a decent pint.

I completly agree with Mr Chops. At least your doing something about it and not just whinging. I think we''ll see more of this type of thing as the club tries to cut costs and maximise profits. Not a bad thing per se but things can go too far. I guess time will tell.

Davo

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Sooty57"]We are used to the price of refreshments being increased each season, but I do think the latest hike is difficult to justify.

No, I''m not being tight, but the club needs to realise that they are not the only ones who have been hit by the economic downturn... their fans have been too.[/quote]That''s fine, and you''re taking the right approach. If more people do what you''re doing and take flasks in then the club will notice and eventually reprice or withdraw coffee from the menu.Having spent a fair bit of time at the N&N recently where coffee is £1.30 a cup, I don''t object too much to paying £2 as part of an afternoon''s entertainment - but it''s down to personal choice and I''m glad you''re not just complaining but have found a practical solution.[/quote]It''s obvious what more people will do whether they complain or not.  They''ll take their own in a flask.  Or take the hot water in a flask and bring one or two of those cappuccino sachets.It hits families more if they buy from the snack bar as it all adds up.  If you''re going with mates and just buying for yourself I suppose you''ll pay the extra because it saves carrying a flask.[/quote]I don''t agree.  Experience suggests a lot of people will complain on boards like this one, but still pay up on the day.  Hence my pleasant surprise to read the OP has already got a plan in place and wasn''t just moaning.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="Herman "]How much for the plastic pis... beer?[/quote]

Indeed, surely they can''t justify an increase in the warm fizzy dishwater they pass off as Beer?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats exactly what I do, if I plan on a beer before the game I go to the Nelson and get a decent pint.
[/quote]

Sounds a better plan of action.Just trying to break the ol'' football saturday routine is the hard part.

If you want a cheap, and better, cuppa'', the tea stalls outside the ground are so much better. They are (or were last season anyway) £1 outside the ground, then 80p as you walk towards the bridge near riverside, then 60p if you walk another 50 meters!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Sooty57"]We are used to the price of refreshments being increased each season, but I do think the latest hike is difficult to justify.

No, I''m not being tight, but the club needs to realise that they are not the only ones who have been hit by the economic downturn... their fans have been too.[/quote]That''s fine, and you''re taking the right approach. If more people do what you''re doing and take flasks in then the club will notice and eventually reprice or withdraw coffee from the menu.Having spent a fair bit of time at the N&N recently where coffee is £1.30 a cup, I don''t object too much to paying £2 as part of an afternoon''s entertainment - but it''s down to personal choice and I''m glad you''re not just complaining but have found a practical solution.[/quote]It''s obvious what more people will do whether they complain or not.  They''ll take their own in a flask.  Or take the hot water in a flask and bring one or two of those cappuccino sachets.It hits families more if they buy from the snack bar as it all adds up.  If you''re going with mates and just buying for yourself I suppose you''ll pay the extra because it saves carrying a flask.[/quote]I don''t agree.  Experience suggests a lot of people will complain on boards like this one, but still pay up on the day.  Hence my pleasant surprise to read the OP has already got a plan in place and wasn''t just moaning.[/quote]I guess that''s what the club are hoping then.  The fans take it up the bottom and cough up the extra.  Some will some won''t,  you''ll see more flasks coming out that''s for sure.  If everybody just moaned but coughed up the extra, there wouldn''t be droves of people leaving Morrissons before each home game with pop and pies for half time.

I bought a  bottle of lager and a cup of tea and it cost me £5.50. I thought it was a mistake at first, the beer there is crap but it I do like to have a pasty and a drink in the ground before the game. Old traditions die hard. It`s not a very effective strategy for  raising money if people just stop using the catering in the ground cos it`s too  expensive.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]I bought a  bottle of lager and a cup of tea and it cost me £5.50. I thought it was a mistake at first, the beer there is crap but it I do like to have a pasty and a drink in the ground before the game. Old traditions die hard. It`s not a very effective strategy for  raising money if people just stop using the catering in the ground cos it`s too  expensive.[/quote]

I think £2 for a coffee is far too expensive too, £1.25 for a large Latte coffee in Morrisons and the best coffee ever is in Costa where I think its £1.85 for a regular Latte but thats worth every penny plus its a comfortable place to sit in with papers to read.

Fortunately, I''m so very blessed in that I''m able to survive for the gargantuan duration of  just over 105 or so minutes, without having to consume any liquid or solid nourishment for me to survive.....Sometimes though, I do require a half-time pee-pee, but at this moment in time NCFC aren''t charging for that facility....If they ever do? It''ll then probably cost me a Tena. 

If sales of food and drink decline then the club will put the prices up even more or cut standards to compensate.,, and then the trend of decline continues. Delia is probably the best person to direct these concerns too.I think McNasty is taking the club backwards and undoing all the good work Andrew Cullen did.

Very extreme prices from the club, I don''t remember the last refreshments that I got at CR, I think it was the Charlton Beam Back when I brought a Pasty in the ground. But for games at CR, Me and Dad get everything from Morrisons, much cheaper, more affordable, sometimes 50% less price.

It''s always going to happen though. No one likes it, but it happens in every other place. Service stations, airports, football grounds, anywhere where there is no where else better (cheaper) to go to, they can just bump up the prices as there is nowhere else to go so people have no other option, well at HT anyway. I will get a hot choccy in winter, but I go to Morissons any other time. [:(]It''s every club in the country though. [:|]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Fortunately, I''m so very blessed in that I''m able to survive for the gargantuan duration of  just over 105 or so minutes, without having to consume any liquid or solid nourishment for me to survive.....Sometimes though, I do require a half-time pee-pee, but at this moment in time NCFC aren''t charging for that facility....If they ever do? It''ll then probably cost me a Tena. 

Very dry!

[/quote]

[quote user="tom cavendish"]If sales of food and drink decline then the club will put the prices up even more or cut standards to compensate.,, and then the trend of decline continues. Delia is probably the best person to direct these concerns too.

I think McNasty is taking the club backwards and undoing all the good work Andrew Cullen did.
[/quote]

What, you mean all the good work which ended with relegation and a £5m loss in `08-`09 despite selling out virtually every match?  You could always cheer yourself up by thinking about the trifling issue  we`ve just been promoted, held on to all our best players and spent good money on exciting young talent to bolster an already strong squad? 

[quote user="tom cavendish"]If sales of food and drink decline then the club will put the prices up even more or cut standards to compensate.,, and then the trend of decline continues. Delia is probably the best person to direct these concerns too.

I think McNasty is taking the club backwards and undoing all the good work Andrew Cullen did.
[/quote]

What, you mean all the good work which ended with relegation and a £5m loss in `08-`09 despite selling out virtually every match?  You could always cheer yourself up by thinking about the trifling issue that we`ve just been promoted, held on to all our best players and spent good money on exciting young talent to bolster an already strong squad? 

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats exactly what I do, if I plan on a beer before the game I go to the Nelson and get a decent pint.
[/quote]

Funny, I never see you there Morty,

[quote user="Brian Badonde"]Perhaps the NCISA should bring this up with the club.    *ducks head*
[/quote]

Not a problem BB1.Our AGM is looming on the horizon and Mr.McNally is one of the guest speakers so i am taking notes on issues.The details of our AGM will be published shortly on the NCISA website.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Brian Badonde"]Perhaps the NCISA should bring this up with the club.    *ducks head*
[/quote]

Not a problem BB1.Our AGM is looming on the horizon and Mr.McNally is one of the guest speakers so i am taking notes on issues.The details of our AGM will be published shortly on the NCISA website.

[/quote]

Sorry just noticed that you are BB and not BB1.Have you considered a new name to avoid confusion because remember what happened when you first posted?

I may change it, I will get a picture up soon though. Im trying to get to the AGM just because I would like to gauge the usefulness of the association currently and would like to quiz McNasty on these issues. I will hopefully speak to you about these issues if i can make it.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="tom cavendish"]If sales of food and drink decline then the club will put the prices up even more or cut standards to compensate.,, and then the trend of decline continues. Delia is probably the best person to direct these concerns too.I think McNasty is taking the club backwards and undoing all the good work Andrew Cullen did.[/quote]

What, you mean all the good work which ended with relegation and a £5m loss in `08-`09 despite selling out virtually every match?  You could always cheer yourself up by thinking about the trifling issue that we`ve just been promoted, held on to all our best players and spent good money on exciting young talent to bolster an already strong squad? 

[/quote]Are you really stupid enough to think that Andrew Cullen had anything whatsoever to do with the team, selecting managers, or spending too much on players wages?