Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

Bristol City Sign David James

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]What a great signing why couldn''t we get him :/?
[/quote]

I put it in the Phew what a lucky escape that was brackets, We have three future England Keepers,  

I really cant believe some of you think David James is crap. Had we been the ones who signed him, you would all be saying hes one of the best England keepers of all time.

As a keeper who played at a high level locally, and had a trial, I appreciate how good he is. The only reason he got the calamity James name, was because he played for high profile clubs, and in high profile games. In 20+ years of top flight football, hes not made that many errors to justify that name, and IMO has been one of the most comanding, reliable keepers of recent years. Look how many cock ups Robert Green has made, far more than James, yet because of his City link, you all ignore that, and think hes marvelous. I could name more Green errors than James errors, and Greens, 12 years younger.

This forum lacks a lot of honesty sometimes, the yellow and green spectacles seem to blind peoples views of players of other clubs. Dare I mention the word ''jealousy''?

He''s really not that bad at all. I think it''s a good signing, at least in the short term. He did ok for England in the World Cup and he''s clearly still got some gas left in the tank. It''l be no coincidence us finding it harder to score against them this season.And for those saying how happy they are with Ruddy and how awesome a goalie he''s going to be, do me a favour? Shut up. You''ve seen him play once, if at all? The only other reason you know him is because he was involved in that 6-6 game when he was at Motherwell. I think it''s safe to say we should reserve our judgment of him until the new season properly gets under way, don''t you? I''m not saying I think he will be crap, but need I remind you, people jumped on this same bandwagon with Theoklitos last year, and look how THAT turned out. "Oh, He was A-League player of the year!" Big, effing, deal.

[quote user="Superflash"]He''s really not that bad at all. I think it''s a good signing, at least in the short term. He did ok for England in the World Cup and he''s clearly still got some gas left in the tank. It''l be no coincidence us finding it harder to score against them this season.

And for those saying how happy they are with Ruddy and how awesome a goalie he''s going to be, do me a favour? Shut up. You''ve seen him play once, if at all? The only other reason you know him is because he was involved in that 6-6 game when he was at Motherwell. I think it''s safe to say we should reserve our judgment of him until the new season properly gets under way, don''t you? I''m not saying I think he will be crap, but need I remind you, people jumped on this same bandwagon with Theoklitos last year, and look how THAT turned out. "Oh, He was A-League player of the year!" Big, effing, deal.
[/quote]

Great summary. The Theo bandwagon - where are they now? Ruddy done ok in the SPL, the same SPL whos top players are leaving the likes of Celtic, Rangers etc, to play at a half empty riverside stadium Middlesboro.

I would like Ruddy to do well, of course I would, but im not going to go on about how good he is, when I honestly havent seen him play in a competetive game, how many of you have seen Ruddy play in a competitive game? The SPL is about League One standard, and thats being nice.

John Ruddys career to date.

2004–2005Cambridge United39(0)
2005–2010Everton1(0)
2005→ Walsall (loan)5(0)
2005→ Rushden & Diamonds (loan)3(0)
2005–2006→ Chester City (loan)4(0)
2006→ Stockport County (loan)11(0)
2007→ Wrexham (loan)5(0)
2007→ Bristol City (loan)1(0)
2008→ Stockport County (loan)12(0)
2009→ Crewe Alexandra (loan)19(0)
2009–2010→ Motherwell (loan)34(0)
2010–Norwich City

David james career to date.

1988–1992Watford89(0)
1992–1999Liverpool216(0)
1999–2001Aston Villa67(0)
2001–2004West Ham United91(0)
2004–2006Manchester City93(0)
2006–2010Portsmouth134(0)
2010–Bristol City0(0)
National team‡
1990–1992England U2110(0)
1994–1996England B2(0)
1997–England53(0)

So by 24 {Ruddys age} David James had already been No1 at Liverpool for 3 years, while Ruddy was sent on loan to anyone who would have him.

I think Ruddy will be a good signing, but there is no way he is as good or will ever be as good as David James. It was only at the age of 39, David James took a step down a league.

[quote user="Boogle"]

I really cant believe some of you think David James is crap. Had we been the ones who signed him, you would all be saying hes one of the best England keepers of all time.

As a keeper who played at a high level locally, and had a trial, I appreciate how good he is. The only reason he got the calamity James name, was because he played for high profile clubs, and in high profile games. In 20+ years of top flight football, hes not made that many errors to justify that name, and IMO has been one of the most comanding, reliable keepers of recent years. Look how many cock ups Robert Green has made, far more than James, yet because of his City link, you all ignore that, and think hes marvelous. I could name more Green errors than James errors, and Greens, 12 years younger.

This forum lacks a lot of honesty sometimes, the yellow and green spectacles seem to blind peoples views of players of other clubs. Dare I mention the word ''jealousy''?

[/quote]No we wouldn''t.

David James only looks so good because there isn''t a huge amount of quality in the GK area in england atm.

You haven''t had a decent keeper since Seaman. If david james was all that then he would have been playing for england ahead of seaman, but he wasnt!

Look at Forster.. if your going to go on about being farmed out.. he is going to be a good keeper and he has been sent out on loan, just like ruddy. It doesnt say a thing about the player in question it just says that there is someone of even better quality in front of them in the first team.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

David James only looks so good because there isn''t a huge amount of quality in the GK area in england atm.

[/quote]Have you not seen him for Portsmouth? Sure, they''ve had their troubles, but if it weren''t for him they''d probably have let in even more goals. And prior to that season, he was by far and away their best player for a good few seasons. He went a long way to rebuilding his reputation, after being labelled as a calamity by many. He still made mistakes, but then don''t we all? And regarding a point made earlier, I''m almost certain there would have been posters on this board praising James'' capture if he chose Norwich instead of Bristol City. Personally speaking, I think we could do far worse, but wouldn''t look to him as a long term solution. Then again, Forster wouldn''t have been a long term solution either, and I''d jump at the chance to re-sign him.

I do think David James is a class keeper and I think he was a good signing for Bristol. But he can be a liability as he can cost teams games. A few years back if you can recall he kicked one of our players and recived an instant red card (cant remember our players name if you can) He comes out of his box way to often and can misskick the odd ball or two. That is just his ability. David would expect top wages as he is an international (not for long) keeper who has played alot of his football in the top flight. And my last concern about him is he is fourty years old now. You wont get alot out of him at that he will just scrape by for his paycheck.

He will also be terrific for them in the dressing room. He is a good trainer and a big personality, he will be looked up to by the younger players and I''m sure will inspire them to work that bit harder.

Mark .Y.

[quote user="Mark .Y."]

He will also be terrific for them in the dressing room. He is a good trainer and a big personality, he will be looked up to by the younger players and I''m sure will inspire them to work that bit harder.

Mark .Y.

[/quote]

Yep, my thoughts entirely. Coppell at the helm, James, still a decent keeper (one of top 3 in CCC without a shadoww of a doubt) and a great presence in dressing room and at the training ground. Great combination. They''ll be up there for most of the season, and, given Coppell''s talent, are good bets for a play off place-they haven''t been so far off in recent seasons as it is.

Our signing of Ruddy reminds me of when we signed Chris Woods. He was 22 when he signed for us in 1981, having been at Forest (where he shot to prominence in a League Cup winning side-but was never going to displace Peter Shilton) since  1976, having also spent a season or so with QPR. When they sold him to us, we might have very well been saying similar things to what is said about Ruddy-how long does he need to establish himself, why did QPR let me go etc? But he ended up being one of our best ever keepers, ahead of both Greeno and Gunn in my opinion. If Ruddy does half as well, he''ll certainly come into England contention, at the very least whist with us, and, with the last few years seeing many "hopes" of English goalkeeping fade or not live up to their billing-Carson, Foster (though he still has a chance), and Kirkland, even Lewis; whilst Hart isn''t even a first team choice-he has a good chance, along with, ironically, Forster, of being part of the next group to take the eye. My first reaction, when we signed Ruddy was that, if he is as good as he could be, and his time really does come with us, then he won''t be around for very long anyway, as someone will soon want to hoover him up and away from us-which will leave a place for Rudd or Steer to stake a claim. However-whether we can now keep both of them is another question, and it wouldn''t surprise me if we did another Lewis and one of them was, ultimately, sold on.

Can we just clear a couple of things up, particularly for I am a Banana.

I didnt say Ruddy was crap, I think hes a great signing, for the championship.

I said, IMO Ruddy will never be as good as James.

I dont have a problem with him being loaned out, what I was saying was he has spent 7 years at Everton, played 1 game, and spent the rest of the 7 years out on loan.

I also think, if it had been us who had signed James, 90% of this forum would be having a debate, as to if he was the greatest England keeper of all time.

David James was awful until he was about 36. At Liverpool he made howler after howler, it''s only in recent years he has become much better and I''ve even heard him say similar things himself. I really respect him though, for a modern day footballer he seems a really genuine bloke so i wish him all the best. From brizzles point of view he isn''t just a good goalkeeper but he is a leader and great figure to have in the dressing room. He has been there and done it, and like others have said i expect he will be doing his coaching badges while there. I probably wouldn''t be too chuffed if norwich had signed hum on huge wages though.

OTBC

I think, although quite big still for the championship, James has taken a massive wage drop, so he can get into the coaching game.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]think James was brought by coppel as a future coach rather than as a gk[/quote]

Thats what I now said at the bottom of the last page mate. Its more of a future career move, working with/under very respected and experienced team.

Yeah. Copell would have gone for Forster of he was after a log term keeper! K think this will be a good move for Alena but I''m glad he isn''t here!!