Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

Bristol City Sign David James

He signed to work with Coppell who will help him get coaching badges and probably offer him a job coaching

I have a hunch that at the very least one of Steer, Rudd and Ruddy will be just as good, if not, far better than James in his prime.I''m delighted with what we have in that department as it is.

[quote user="John"]I have a hunch that at the very least one of Steer, Rudd and Ruddy will be just as good, if not, far better than James in his prime.

I''m delighted with what we have in that department as it is.
[/quote]

steer needs to change his last name to Rud.

James is a good signing, and he went to Bristol as he lives in Exeter and wants to be somewhere close to home.

Bristol also signed Nicky Hunt from Bolton on a free today, that is an amazing signing and much more significant that the James signing in my opinion.

I think Nicky Hunt would have been a great signing for us but think he and James are together probably on as much a week as 90% of our first team!

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

James is a good signing, and he went to Bristol as he lives in Exeter and wants to be somewhere close to home.

Bristol also signed Nicky Hunt from Bolton on a free today, that is an amazing signing and much more significant that the James signing in my opinion.

[/quote]

Nicky Hunt is hardly an "amazing" signing. Whats he had - one and half vaguely decent seasons in the prem? Only reason he gets noticed is because his name sounds like c**t. The fact players have played for prem clubs does not make them automatically great signings.

Must be costing a fair bit in wages though. Looks like Brizzle are going for it ahead of their new stadium.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]we got ruddy instead, who is still learning and going to be better than james at his peak![/quote]

Oh come on. I hate to put a downer on any player that is associated with NCFC, but Ruddy will be better than James at his peak? Moyes is a bloody good manager, and has an eye for young talent, yet let Ruddy leave. Now I like Ruddy, and think he will do a good job in the championship, but James has been playing at the top for 20ish years for gods sake. Didnt Ruddy sign for Everton at 17, and is now 24? Hardly think hes still learning is he, if he is still learning, we would be sending him out on loan. James has made errors, but they have only been so highly documented as hes been playing in big leagues,cups etc, with big clubs and the England national team. james made a mistake in that FA Cup final against Man Utd, when he was Ruddys age. Not a meaningless SPL game, the FA cup final for Liverpool, against Man Utd. If you had said Forster, I would still be saying this. I dont think some people realise just how hard is is to be a keeper. A striker misses the target, nobody thinks much of it, a goalkeeper lets one in and gets taken to bits. James is a seriously good goalkeeper. Top clubs wanted him at the age of 39! He only went to Bristol city, because he will pick up coaching advice from coppel and his back staff.

I want Ruddy to do well and think he will, but if Ruddy goes on to play in world cups, and euro championships, I will take what I said above all back.

That really is a great signing for them. To get a player of his stature/calibre who would probably have had offers from much bigger clubs (despite his age) is really well done.

[quote user="Boogle"]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]we got ruddy instead, who is still learning and going to be better than james at his peak![/quote]

Oh come on. I hate to put a downer on any player that is associated with NCFC, but Ruddy will be better than James at his peak? Moyes is a bloody good manager, and has an eye for young talent, yet let Ruddy leave. Now I like Ruddy, and think he will do a good job in the championship, but James has been playing at the top for 20ish years for gods sake. Didnt Ruddy sign for Everton at 17, and is now 24? Hardly think hes still learning is he, if he is still learning, we would be sending him out on loan. James has made errors, but they have only been so highly documented as hes been playing in big leagues,cups etc, with big clubs and the England national team. james made a mistake in that FA Cup final against Man Utd, when he was Ruddys age. Not a meaningless SPL game, the FA cup final for Liverpool, against Man Utd. If you had said Forster, I would still be saying this. I dont think some people realise just how hard is is to be a keeper. A striker misses the target, nobody thinks much of it, a goalkeeper lets one in and gets taken to bits. James is a seriously good goalkeeper. Top clubs wanted him at the age of 39! He only went to Bristol city, because he will pick up coaching advice from coppel and his back staff.

I want Ruddy to do well and think he will, but if Ruddy goes on to play in world cups, and euro championships, I will take what I said above all back.

[/quote]

ruddy must doing something right to get lamberts attention as lambert is looking to build for the future as ruddy is going to be part of it.

High wages, high media attention, high potential for massive mistakes, and all at the spritely age of 39.

I''d rather have Ruddy, Rudd, Steer than put all our eggs in one basket.

Nicky Hunt & Damion Stewart aren''t all that either. Stewart wouldn''t get in at CB, and Hunt wouldn''t be a guaranteed starter.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Nicky Hunt is hardly an "amazing" signing. Whats he had - one and half vaguely decent seasons in the prem? Only reason he gets noticed is because his name sounds like c**t. The fact players have played for prem clubs does not make them automatically great signings.

Must be costing a fair bit in wages though. Looks like Brizzle are going for it ahead of their new stadium.

[/quote]the stadium plans have gone tits up.

[quote user="bristol_canary"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

the stadium plans have gone tits up.
[/quote]

thats cause theu signed DJ!

[quote user="CanaryJames"]High wages, high media attention, high potential for massive mistakes, and all at the spritely age of 39. I''d rather have Ruddy, Rudd, Steer than put all our eggs in one basket. Nicky Hunt & Damion Stewart aren''t all that either. Stewart wouldn''t get in at CB, and Hunt wouldn''t be a guaranteed starter.[/quote]

How much is he on a week?

On the plus side they''re getting a massively experienced and talented keeper. The best part of 20 years in the top flight of English club football should stand him, and his new colleagues, in good stead for the coming season.

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Boogle"]

[/quote]

ruddy must doing something right to get lamberts attention as lambert is looking to build for the future as ruddy is going to be part of it.

[/quote]

Im not saying Ruddy isnt any good, for gods sake. Im saying he will not, IMO, be a better player than David James. Ruddy, snapped up by Everton in his teens, then farmed out on loan for nearly 7 years, James signed by Liverpool in his teens, and has been one of the top flights best keepers since. Big difference.

Ruddy has promise I agree, but just because lambert signed him, does not mean he will be better than David James. Lambert signed Simeon jackson, do you think Jackson will go on to be better than Jermaine Defoe?

Yes of course Lambert saw something in him, or he wouldnt have bloody signed him would he. What you are missing is we are building a team for the championship.

I don''t know. It won''t be cheap though. I''d bet we''ve got 3 or 4 decent players (Ward, Smith, Ruddy, etc) covered by what Bristol City are paying him.

The injury count on him has steadily increased over the last few years too.

I predict him to be a flop of some sort. Would genuinely rather have Rudd so we can build a team long-term rather than a short-term fix.

Good luck to the bloke. He''s clearly making the move with thoughts about his future and Coppell will ensure he gets a good coaching education.

Superb keeper and on his day very few keepers in world football come near to him, but his better days are behind him and for the wages they must be paying him i''d much rather have 3/4 players including Ruddy who is a good young keeper.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Superb keeper and on his day very few keepers in world football come near to him, but his better days are behind him and for the wages they must be paying him i''d much rather have 3/4 players including Ruddy who is a good young keeper.
[/quote]

[y]

james is not as good as people make him out to be though.

[quote user="bristol_canary"]hes a better keeper than you''ll ever be
[/quote]

I might change my name to '' I am a Spider'' then i would be better [;)]

[quote user="bristol_canary"]hes a better keeper than you''ll ever be
[/quote]Stupid reply. [img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/asshole.gif[/img]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="bristol_canary"]hes a better keeper than you''ll ever be
[/quote]Stupid reply. [img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/asshole.gif[/img][/quote]

no one seems to like Bristol Canary, and i dont really either.

[quote user="First Wizard"]They don''t call him Calamity James for nothing. [img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/tosser.gif[/img][/quote]

B*gger only just logged in, and you got there already with exactly what I was going to say - now looking forward to a last minute clanger against us that leaves CMart to tap in like against Newcastle!!!

[quote user="shefcanary"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]They don''t call him Calamity James for nothing. [img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/tosser.gif[/img][/quote]

B*gger only just logged in, and you got there already with exactly what I was going to say - now looking forward to a last minute clanger against us that leaves CMart to tap in like against Newcastle!!!

[/quote]

James is 40 next week, his errors are going to go up.

Did I miss something? James has had a peak?

In terms of his career this was his first and only world cup, perhaps he peaked at 40? Never rated James, a bit like a more expensive Andy Marshall for me.

Green would have done better if he was kept in the side, so much pressure on him with such a shocking defence in front of him.