Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

How about giving players a chance?

On the verge of the new season we are yet again seeing the usual forum response to new players, ie they''re either the best thing since sliced bread or absolute rubbish. The current  target is John Ruddy, who apparently made a real howler today. While I appreciate that we''re still raw from the Theo experience, the lad has by all accounts done well so far, yet we now have a thread writing him off as rubbish. The sad thing about keepers is that when they make a cock up it usually results in a goal, but I get the impression that Ruddy is going to be picked on non stop by the Declan Rudd fan club. Now, I think that Declan is a fine keeper, but I also feel that he''s not ready yet to be a number one. As for Ruddy, I don''t have an opinion yet, but I''m happy to trust Lambert, who will have done his homework.

Surman and Fox have, at various times, been criticised for not being big tacklers and Crofts has been talked down for not being a like for like replacement for Russell, when he is clearly not intended as such. Elliott Ward, who was good enough to captain Coventry two seasons ago, is also getting stick, while Zak Whitbread, who was considered outstanding at Millwall, is seen as a weak link.

I don''t know how these players will pan out, but my point is that neither do the people handing out the stick, and nor will we until about 10 games in, so let''s be patient, get behind them and see what happens.

Good points well made.

Someone said John Ruddy was better than David James yesterday, I said I beg to difer, and all of a sudden, people were accusing me of slagging off Ruddy, as I dared to say Englands NO1 was better than Norwichs NO1.

For the record, I think Ruddy will be decent at championship level. I wont be salgging anyone off, any new signings untill they have a few games under their belt, the same as i wont be praising the bollox off players untill I have seen them perform.

The only player i have concerns over is Elliot Ward. Seems to have been thrown on loan to a few clubs with no takers and does look really unfit. The sooner Whitbread gets fit and playing the better becuase the guys been here 8 months and has only made 1 competive apperance?! as for the rest ive been mightly impressed with and see no reason preventing them being big hits here.

I have come away from todays game, much the same as the Newcastle game, very confident for the new season. I think the new signings have added a lot to the group, most of all for me the side looks very comfortable. Especially in midfield we have a lot of possession, and rarely misplace passes. Its like everyone has raised their standard, Nelson looks like he might just make the grade, even Gill looked good when he came on.I think we''ll be fine this season.[:)]

Beau you''ve been following the sport long enough to know how fickle some football fans can be. Norwich supporters seem to have an inbuilt need to complain about someone in the team, which is understandable after the poor showing we have been to subjected to in recent seasons, but as we seem to be on an up old habits die young.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

The only player i have concerns over is Elliot Ward. Seems to have been thrown on loan to a few clubs with no takers and does look really unfit. The sooner Whitbread gets fit and playing the better becuase the guys been here 8 months and has only made 1 competive apperance?! as for the rest ive been mightly impressed with and see no reason preventing them being big hits here.

[/quote]

That area is a bit worrying, in my opinion. Zak''s injury record doesn''t appear to be getting any better and Ward doesn''t look fit enough to start the season. It has been said in the past that Ward is a player who struggles to keep himself fit and I would think his performance today might have concerned the manager a bit.

He will have more time to get fit and settle in but, at the moment, you''d have to say that Nelson is defending quite a bit better and does look to be our best defender.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

On the verge of the new season we are yet again seeing the usual forum response to new players, ie they''re either the best thing since sliced bread or absolute rubbish. The current  target is John Ruddy, who apparently made a real howler today. While I appreciate that we''re still raw from the Theo experience, the lad has by all accounts done well so far, yet we now have a thread writing him off as rubbish. The sad thing about keepers is that when they make a cock up it usually results in a goal, but I get the impression that Ruddy is going to be picked on non stop by the Declan Rudd fan club. Now, I think that Declan is a fine keeper, but I also feel that he''s not ready yet to be a number one. As for Ruddy, I don''t have an opinion yet, but I''m happy to trust Lambert, who will have done his homework.

Surman and Fox have, at various times, been criticised for not being big tacklers and Crofts has been talked down for not being a like for like replacement for Russell, when he is clearly not intended as such. Elliott Ward, who was good enough to captain Coventry two seasons ago, is also getting stick, while Zak Whitbread, who was considered outstanding at Millwall, is seen as a weak link.

I don''t know how these players will pan out, but my point is that neither do the people handing out the stick, and nor will we until about 10 games in, so let''s be patient, get behind them and see what happens.

[/quote]BINNER!!I always had my suspicions about you Beau. Your cover''s blown! [:$]

Give over Beau.

They are all crap, I don''t know for the life of me why he signed any of them.

We have got to be favourites for relegation.

Sack the board.

No ambition.

Etc. Etc.

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

BINNER!!

I always had my suspicions about you Beau. Your cover''s blown!

[:$]
[/quote]

Damn you and those pesky kids Clippy![:P]

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

Give over Beau.

They are all crap, I don''t know for the life of me why he signed any of them.

We have got to be favourites for relegation.

Sack the board.

No ambition.

Etc. Etc.

[/quote]

Never mind relegation Wazzy, we''ll be in administration by Christmas[;)]

Oh, and Holt will be out until 2013, so the voices told me.

If england so called #1 can make mistake after mistake and still be #1 then one mistake means noting. anyway its in a game which meant nothing!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]If england so called #1 can make mistake after mistake and still be #1 then one mistake means noting. anyway its in a game which meant nothing![/quote]''Nana, I think you need to stop it now. I think I''ve agreed with you 3 times this week.I''m getting scared now........[:O]

Its funny that people were clamouring for us to sign Fraser Forster in the close season, before we settled on Ruddy.I can''t remember him ever gifting a goal away in a competitive game in the last minute against our closest rivals in that league... [:^)]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]If england so called #1 can make mistake after mistake and still be #1 then one mistake means noting. anyway its in a game which meant nothing![/quote]

Christ, theres another thread for this argument. Was he made England No1 because hes the best English keeper around, or because he makes mistakes every single game, and they thought it would be a laugh?

In my short conversations with you, would I be right in guessing you are a teenager?

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]BINNER!!I always had my suspicions about you Beau. Your cover''s blown! [:$][/quote]

Damn you and those pesky kids Clippy![:P]

[/quote]*Walks smugly back to garishly painted Dormobile*

[quote user="leedscanary"]Its funny that people were clamouring for us to sign Fraser Forster in the close season, before we settled on Ruddy.
I can''t remember him ever gifting a goal away in a competitive game in the last minute against our closest rivals in that league... [:^)]
[/quote]

He also pulled off 3 magnificent saves, that kept us in the game, away to Leeds before that sloppy goal kick that led to the goal. Also the defenders all had thier backs turned to him, and should in theory have been watching the ball. But that was last season, new season, new players, new chances.

Ive noticed a lot of you on here, {not talking about you Leedscanary} have some strange ideas about keepers. As I mentioned on another page, i was fortunate to play in Norfolks top Leagues as a keeper, and also had a trial {which came to nothing, so didnt work that hard LOl}, how many of you have goalkeeping experience? Not a put down, just in general, people dont appreciate just how hard a keepers job is. Its not a case of sitting on your arse for 90 minutes making the odd save. you need to concentrate for 90+ minutes, organise, etc.

[quote user="Boogle"]

[quote user="leedscanary"]Its funny that people were clamouring for us to sign Fraser Forster in the close season, before we settled on Ruddy.I can''t remember him ever gifting a goal away in a competitive game in the last minute against our closest rivals in that league... [:^)][/quote]

He also pulled off 3 magnificent saves, that kept us in the game, away to Leeds before that sloppy goal kick that led to the goal. Also the defenders all had thier backs turned to him, and should in theory have been watching the ball. But that was last season, new season, new players, new chances.

Ive noticed a lot of you on here, {not talking about you Leedscanary} have some strange ideas about keepers. As I mentioned on another page, i was fortunate to play in Norfolks top Leagues as a keeper, and also had a trial {which came to nothing, so didnt work that hard LOl}, how many of you have goalkeeping experience? Not a put down, just in general, people dont appreciate just how hard a keepers job is. Its not a case of sitting on your arse for 90 minutes making the odd save. you need to concentrate for 90+ minutes, organise, etc.

[/quote]Maybe my sarcasm didn''t come over as intended - I was trying to illustrate that one mistake doesn''t make a bad ''keeper. Think James, Greeno, Taibi (sp), Forster, Robinson, the list goes on - make an error as a defender and it is usually swallowed up by another def or the ''keeper, make a rickett as a ''keeper and it usually ends in a goal and countless replays. All the afore mentioned have made momentous co ck ups in the past, but are still top class ''keepers. I won''t comment on Theo, as I never had the "pleasure" of seeing him play!

[quote user="leedscanary"][quote user="Boogle"]

[quote user="leedscanary"]Its funny that people were clamouring for us to sign Fraser Forster in the close season, before we settled on Ruddy.
I can''t remember him ever gifting a goal away in a competitive game in the last minute against our closest rivals in that league... [:^)]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe my sarcasm didn''t come over as intended - I was trying to illustrate that one mistake doesn''t make a bad ''keeper. Think James, Greeno, Taibi (sp), Forster, Robinson, the list goes on - make an error as a defender and it is usually swallowed up by another def or the ''keeper, make a rickett as a ''keeper and it usually ends in a goal and countless replays. All the afore mentioned have made momentous co ck ups in the past, but are still top class ''keepers.
I won''t comment on Theo, as I never had the "pleasure" of seeing him play!
[/quote]

I know mate, I just took the oportunity to point out some people seem quick to criticise a keeper, as they are easy cannon fodder, but if you understand a keepers job, its far more than what people give it credit. I want aiming it at you. Apologise if it came across that way.

I just think Ruddy is maybe being a victim of circumstance a little. With what happened to Green in the world cup, the highlight of attention (via the media) has been shifted to goalkeepers - hense the reported chants of "greeno greeno" etc. Also, i still feel some are wrongly judging the lad based on what Fraser Forster did last season.

Of course he made a mistake which unfortunately resulted in a goal; but so did Nelson, Ward and Surman. I dont hear too much derision aimed at them on here (not that im advocating writing players off based on the odd mistake).

Can people just get behind the lad and give him a chance.

[quote user="Comfortably numb"]

I just think Ruddy is maybe being a victim of circumstance a little. With what happened to Green in the world cup, the highlight of attention (via the media) has been shifted to goalkeepers - hense the reported chants of "greeno greeno" etc. Also, i still feel some are wrongly judging the lad based on what Fraser Forster did last season.

Of course he made a mistake which unfortunately resulted in a goal; but so did Nelson, Ward and Surman. I dont hear too much derision aimed at them on here (not that im advocating writing players off based on the odd mistake).

Can people just get behind the lad and give him a chance.

[/quote]

What people also need to remember if they start comparing Forster to Ruddy, is the championship is twice as hard as League One, and he will have twice as much action to deal with.

We can only judge by what we see with our own eyes, but from what I''ve seen so far the irony is the player which I was probably least excited about of the summer signing, in Crofts looks like he may turn out to be the best of all, he seems to be ale to to a bit of everything in midfield. On the other hand the player which came in the the biggest ''fanfare'' in Jackson looks a bit short of quality at the moment?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

We can only judge by what we see with our own eyes, but from what I''ve seen so far the irony is the player which I was probably least excited about of the summer signing, in Crofts looks like he may turn out to be the best of all, he seems to be ale to to a bit of everything in midfield. On the other hand the player which came in the the biggest ''fanfare'' in Jackson looks a bit short of quality at the moment?

[/quote]

Was thinking the same. Oh how we love to get carried away. didnt some of you try and get a flag sent down from Hearts fans, for Julian Brellier LOL.

If the opposition''s goal was the width of corner flag to corner flag - and up to the height of the Barclay or River Stand roof.....Jackson would have had at least a hat-trick yesterday....

He''ll come good.....hopefully.