Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Norwich 2, Everton 4

Back in front of my computer for my more comprehensive report.

Let''s start with the bad things.

The mistakes - Two goals from two poor mistakes. The first a Robert Green-esque ball between the legs job, the second a mix up on the touchline with one of the defenders. I thought it was Ward, but others say it was Nelson. Two mistakes which must be cut out when it comes to the crunch because right now we appear a very solid unit. Cut out the stupid errors and I think Championship teams will find us difficult to break down. But not if we gift them chances like those.

Wayward shooting - And I''m looking at you, Wes and Jackson. Both of these players worked extremely hard, created things for others and looked lively and dangerous. In Wes'' case, he in particular ran the show from midfield, some of his passing his usual joy to behold variety. But both simply couldn''t convert their hard work into shots on target. Both need to realise that when lining up a shot you can not lean backwards. That does not lead to a successful shot. Now I''m not saying we should worry about Jackson or that we''ve got a duff striker on our hands. What I''m saying is that someone needs to teach both a bit of composure when shooting.

The "I''m here for the Premiership team" fans - Oh dear god do I hate fairweather fans here to see a Premiership team. One woman near me literally emitted a high pitch squeal whenever Macnamee did a step over, saying "Oooooh! He''s a bit handy int he? We should send him in to Soccer AM''s showboat!". Oh dear lord.

And that''s really all I can say from the bad camp. On the other side, I was particularly pleased with the following;

Our general game - There were times when we really were looking like the Premiership team and Everton looked slightly dumbfounded that "little Norwich" were passing through them. Our passing game is superb - and we''ve got our midfield to thank for that. David Fox in the holding role is going to be a crucial player. His range of passing equals Hoolahan''s, and he''s quite eager to snap at the heels of the opposition when chasing the ball down too. He''s got to be very careful not to put in his tackles late, though. Wes as well, as already said, dictated play very, very nicely.

Grant Holt - Having him back is a massive, massive boost - even if he did miss two chances he would have buried otherwise. Very, very encouraging to see him.

Andrew Crofts - My MOTM as well as the official MOTM, which makes a change. This lad has the work rate of Andy Hughes but actually appears to have some talent as well. He snaps at the heals of the opposition when he hasn''t got the ball and on it is responsible for some defence splitting runs. He keeps his passing delightfully simple too, and took his headed goal superbly. This lad could be a class signing at this level.

And now down to the player ratings

Ruddy - 6 - One mistake and people are on his back. I think you people should take a look at yourselves. The mistake was a bad one, but otherwise Ruddy had a reasonable game. He was always quick off the line, stifling Jermaine Beckford on a number of occasions, his distribution was solid, quick and well thought out. I do think, however, his difficulty is going to be with low shots. I can see him struggling to get them saves in.

R Martin - 7 - Russell Martin has impressed me this close season. He appears stronger than last season and a bit more confident in the tackle. Perhaps being a part of a winning season has boosted his confidence, I don''t know. But I hope he continues in this vein.

Drury - 6 - A much better performance than vs Newcastle. Drury looks really did make some good tackles and got forward well. He was a little late on some of his tackles and did give away a few free kicks though.

Nelson - 6 - Not sure if it was him or Ward for the second goal - but otherwise did a good job. I''m going to stick my neck out on the line a little and suggest he is in fact the first choice center half. I think he''s better than most give him credit for.

Ward - 6 - Again, may have been him who made the mistake. But otherwise had a calm and composed game and on a number of occasions showed good presence of mind to cut out an opposition pass. Needs to work on getting his fitness up though.

Fox - 7 - Superb little player with a great range of passing. I still, however, would prefer an option of a bit of a midfield destroyer to play there against superior opposition. I think Fox will find himself out muscled on occasion. But otherwise a good performance from a player I think will become a fans favourite.

Surman - 7 - Took his goal extremely well, a cultured left foot and again a good passer. Did take a little while to get into the game though.

Crofts - 8 - A superb game for Mr Crofts. I won''t say much as I said it above, except that he''ll be a handful for any opposition next season.

Wes - 7 - When given the space to play and perform, this man is our game winner. His range of passing and ability to pick out a key pass is unrivalled in our team. His tenacity and ability to pop up all over the place make him a nuisance to deal with too. I tip this guy for the Barry Butler trophy this season. Let''s hope I''m right.

C Martin - 7 - Really has improved his strength and ability to hold up a ball and seems to work well with Jackson, giving him the space Jackson needs to exploit. A good, solid game for Chrissy. I hope it continues.

Jackson - 6 - Works the channels well and really does give defenders the willys when he''s running at them or chasing an overhead ball with them. I think he met his match today in Sylvan Distan, but had more luck against a less impressive Joseph Yobo. If he can add a goalscoring touch to his play, I think he''ll be a good signing.

Subs

Holty - 6 - Looked unfit and missed two chances he would have buried at full fitness but what a boost to have him back.

Lappin - 6 - Played in his less favourite left back role, Lappin worked hard, defended well and got forward particularly well. I think he''ll prove an important player from the subs bench.

Askou - 6 - Occasionally allowed himself to be pulled wide, but I think otherwise looked solid and dependable.

Gill - 6 - Everytime I''ve seen Gill, he''s never let himself down. Looked sharp, calm and composed today and I think will prove to be a decent enough understudy for Fox. I think it would be a mistake to get rid.

Macnamee - 6 - People think he''s a flair player - and he most definitely is. But when he''s on, he gives us that injection of pace and trickery that I don''t think we have without him. And he''s done well in the Wes role whenever he''s played too.

Oli - 6 - Struggled to impact against vastly better defenders in the little time he was on - but did loft a beautiful chip towards Grant Holt after racing after and collecting a slightly wayward pass. Looking forward to seeing how he''ll do against Championship opposition.

So there you have it; Watford next friday. Should be a good indicator of how our season will pan out. I think we''ve got the makings of a good team here and the capacity to have a good season. OTBC!

Yep, agree with pretty much with all of that.I can see Crofts being one of my favourite players this season, Korey will have to be on his game to win his place in the side.

Ward made the initial mistake out wide, but Nelson then chested the ball down into Cahill''s path when trying to pass it back. Poor from both of them really, but good to keep us grounded before next Friday!

Just watched the highlights, looked like a decent game.  We were our worst enemy again though, Ruddy and Nelson making cock ups.  3rd and 4th goals looked class though.  Obviously haven''t seen how well we played the rest of the game but it does sound encouraging.  Surman looks class and took his goal very well and it sounds like Crofts had a good game. 

great review and i agree Crofts looks a good buy thought he was good against Newcastle but was def better today. at last the sponsors got MOM right.

will be a good season

Another good write-up Googler, thanks.

Can''t make the game next week also will look forward to your comments. Although I will be watching it Saturday morning win, lose or draw.

Looking forward to seeing the 3 new midfield boys.