Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

Where the diamond may lose it's shine?

Right, before I get shot down, I appreciate that we are not in the league season just yet and that Everton were a quality Premiership side but it did raise some positional concerns for me. When Everton attacked us down the wings, and overlapped, for instance with Baines going past Pienaar we looked weak. Russell Martin put in some good challenges which saved us, but we were frequently left outnumbered with either Surman or Crofts not getting out quite quickly enough, and if Everton were in a more ruthless mood they might have exploited that area further.

Again I must emphasise that I was happy with how we played and there were plenty of good signs, particularly in our attacking play but I still wonder about the defensive balance of the side, but hopefully my concerns are entirely unfounded.

That will always happen when a team players a diamond, but if you want to win games you often have to play to your strengths. If we play the diamond at home and then a slightly more defencive 4-4-2(standard) away then we will be ok. If we are being beaten down the flanks every time then im sure lambert / culverhouse will make the change necessary.

[quote user="Patches OHoolahan"]

Right, before I get shot down, I appreciate that we are not in the league season just yet and that Everton were a quality Premiership side but it did raise some positional concerns for me. When Everton attacked us down the wings, and overlapped, for instance with Baines going past Pienaar we looked weak. Russell Martin put in some good challenges which saved us, but we were frequently left outnumbered with either Surman or Crofts not getting out quite quickly enough, and if Everton were in a more ruthless mood they might have exploited that area further.

Again I must emphasise that I was happy with how we played and there were plenty of good signs, particularly in our attacking play but I still wonder about the defensive balance of the side, but hopefully my concerns are entirely unfounded.

[/quote]

I think that our midfield set up will be more fluid this year. To some extent the rigid diamond we played last year was dictated by the need to get the best out of Wes and to make the most of Russell''s limitations on the ball. Crofts, Surman and Fox can all play and we can therefore be more flexible. Nevertheless, to address your point directly, to play with narrow midfield is always going to expose the fullbacks if the opposing fullback can overlap. It''s no real surprise that a potential top four Prem side was able to do that, but hopefully Championship fullbacks will be more preoccupied with what we''re doing going forward.

By teh way, interesting tactical point Nana. Did you get it form an artcicle on the NCISA site by any chance?[;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Patches OHoolahan"]

[/quote]

I think that our midfield set up will be more fluid this year. To some extent the rigid diamond we played last year was dictated by the need to get the best out of Wes and to make the most of Russell''s limitations on the ball. Crofts, Surman and Fox can all play and we can therefore be more flexible. Nevertheless, to address your point directly, to play with narrow midfield is always going to expose the fullbacks if the opposing fullback can overlap. It''s no real surprise that a potential top four Prem side was able to do that, but hopefully Championship fullbacks will be more preoccupied with what we''re doing going forward.

By teh way, interesting tactical point Nana. Did you get it form an artcicle on the NCISA site by any chance?[;)]

[/quote]

Infact i didn''t that came from me and only me. [y]

We seem to be good going forward, but we are slow defensively, quite apart from any mistakes.

No-one seemed able to match Cahill and others for speed off the mark, or for outright pace. Frankly we could not get a tackle in, and we were slow to react. Ward is perhaps not quite match fit, and Nelson is not the quickest, and our backs struggled.

It could be that the success going forward and the struggle at the back are connected, The Diamond gives attacking options but, as we have often noted, it does leave a narrow midfield in front of the defence and space outside it to exploit by wingers.

At least PL can now see where improvements have to be made, ewven if we shall no meet a side as fluent as Everton every week in the Championship.

Finally, while I do not condemn him, it has to be admitted that Ruddy was partially at fault for at least two goals.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]I think we may have to use the argentina tactic - outscore our opponents.[/quote]No.  They''ll be expecting that.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="I am a Banana"]I think we may have to use the argentina tactic - outscore our opponents.[/quote]

No.  They''ll be expecting that.

[/quote]

very true.