Sign in to follow this  
Raymond De Waard

Charlton fans view on Ginger Pele

I was wondering what their thoughts were as to be honest he became some what of a cult hero towards the end of his career here.  But they do all seem to think the same as Lambert with him being a great L1 Player but not good enough for the Championship.

Will still miss the Ginger lump though!

[quote user="Raymond De Waard"]

.  But they do all seem to think the same as Lambert with him being a great L1 Player but not good enough for the Championship.

[/quote]

When did Lambert say that?

If he doesn''t think the Doc is good enough for the Championship then that would raise serious doubts and questions about Nelson and Askou. The Doc was the best central defender at the club last season and now we''ve got to see if Elliott Ward, who joins us at about the same age the Doc did but with a slightly less impressive track record, is at least as good if not better than the Doc.

I would think the Doc''s age and his wages were far more likely to be a big factor in the decision than any questions over his ability.

GJP - You make a good point, BUT...............

Last season was the first season that the ''Doc was really taken into the hearts of the fans IMO.  He may have won palyer of the season in the Championship a few years back but that was only because everybody else was so poor he was the simple choice.  But with the long ball ''all in the air'' style of League One central defenders like Doc will look superb, because they haven''t got nippy, pacey strikers like Earnshaw, Chopra, Sharp, Paterson to name a few running at him and turning him all over the place.

I distinctly remember the vast majority of people phoning up canary call the last 2 or 3 seasons we were in the Championship saying how poor Doherty was and that we should get rid of him.  It was the same opinion in the stands too.  As much as we adore Doc, he would always do 5 brilliant things in a game and then one really stupid thing that would cost us dearly.  I think that''s why people find it hard now to make a judgement on whether letting him go was a good call or a bad one? 

Personally myself i would love to have him sitting there as back-up, but that''s never going to happen, as he will want and deserves to be playing first team football.

Doherty used to infuriate me beyond anger!  Some of the things he used to do at Championship level football were ridiculous.  And he had numerous sending''s-of too (Burnley at home comes to mind) fast player running at him, he slips over, but instead of laving it there he swept his arm out and brought teh player down - down to 10 men!

All in all, Doc was at Norwich during a very lean period in the clubs history, and apart from last season (In League one) there was nothing for Doc to cheer about being a city player with teh club being succesful.  I think if we would have been dependant on Doc again next season as our leading centre half then i wouldn''t be as confident as i am now.

To sum it up, i really do think at this stage in his career (especially) he is a Top quality League one player.  But would get turned and out-paced all over the place in the Championship.  The proof is in the past........until last season, he was regarded as a joke and a donkey by many.

Wish him all the best at Charlton.

Doherty was limited and getting no better

He is an average centre back that did have passion about him, he did well last year forming good partnerships with nelson and askou.

For me he wanted too much money again and he was not improving, I would rather younger centre backs who can develop a strong partenship.

The doc came here and played with old man charlton and fleming, not a good start to be paired with either at the end of there careers... then shacks and it was ok but both never improved year on year.

That is what you should be wanting, so I am glad he went. Also I do know that when Lambert came in to the club he made it clear that the doc had no future at the club... everything that had the doc on, banner on the website etc was taken off.

I know as I was working at the club at the time. The Doc during training proved Lambert wrong, had a good season but surely by losing him, russell and cureton we have been able to bring in much better players in about six positions rather than have three players... so all in all good business

If I was a Charlton fan I would agree with those sentiments, in the modern game I want my manager to buy centre backs who have got pace, full backs who can go forward nd put in a cross, in fact I expect them to put in as many as the winger

[quote user="smooth"]If I was a Charlton fan I would agree with those sentiments, in the modern game I want my manager to buy centre backs who have got pace, full backs who can go forward nd put in a cross, in fact I expect them to put in as many as the winger[/quote]But you''re a League One team and you can''t afford or attract the very best players.  You wouldn''t want a centre back who was just quick, he needs to be able to read play, head, pass, and tackle.  Doc did all those things well, sometimes very well.  And I recall Doc managing a pacy Jermaine Beckford last year.

I don''t know how long his contract is (and don''t really care as he aint at ncfc) but I would like to build a defensive partnership that can grow to be there for a number of years, whatever league I would be in... but you are right when you need to bounce back as soton will too, to the championship, go with players like the doc... I am happy with whitbread and ward, get them both fit I think a good centre back pairing which can last for a number of years and improve

Jermaine Beckford? So what. How''d he do against that Sunderland striker, the one who actually plays in the Prem, not some over-rated God''s gift to football Division 3 player?

I think he takes time to settle into a new club, he did here and he will there, and that is why is performances were low and fans hated him [y]