Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

Team for Watford

Tell us what your team selection for the Watford game would be!Here''s mine:                       RuddyS.Smith    Nelson     Ward   Drury                          Fox           Crofts                 Surman                      Hoolahan                Holt          Martin(Jackson if Holt isn''t fit)

Steven Smith at right back? He isnt even fit!

What does everyone see that is so bad in Russell Martin? personally,I think he is of the Edworthy ilk - nothing special but does the job!

[quote user="I am an Apple"]Lol why not he''s ment to be a good LB so why not replace a average league 1 RB with a good LB?[/quote]You ever seen him play?

[quote user="I am an Apple"][quote user="Brendo "][quote user="I am an Apple"]Lol why not he''s ment to be a good LB so why not replace a average league 1 RB with a good LB?[/quote]You ever seen him play?[/quote]No but has he ever played RB?[/quote]Has Russel Martin? Yes, many a time, and many a time has he done it superbly! If you''ve never seen Smith play, then how can you be calling for him to come in, injured and play out of position? [:S]

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="I am an Apple"][quote user="Brendo "][quote user="I am an Apple"]Lol why not he''s ment to be a good LB so why not replace a average league 1 RB with a good LB?[/quote]You ever seen him play?[/quote]No but has he ever played RB?[/quote]Has Russel Martin? Yes, many a time, and many a time has he done it superbly! If you''ve never seen Smith play, then how can you be calling for him to come in, injured and play out of position? [:S][/quote]Superbly my @ss he''s done ok coming in at RB, and I ofc didn''t mean play him when he''s not fit/injured, thought that was pretty obvious.Many players play well out of position, phillip Lahm for instance (Not that i''m comparing to the two).

More chance of Korey Smith at right back but more likely to be the start 11 against Everton/Newcastle - nothing wrong with that from those games,

I think Russell Martin is improving quite a bit....He was more impressive against Newcastle and Everton, and had Pineaar to deal with for a while, and Bains......He was also doing better towards the end of last season i think......Thats why we don''t have another right back in yet, because Lambert is probably confidant in Martins ability....

[quote user="I am an Apple"]Lol why not he''s ment to be a good LB so why not replace a average league 1 RB with a good LB?[/quote]I think you mis-typed your user name.  "Arse" isn''t spelt "Apple".

[quote user="I am an Apple"]Lol why not he''s ment to be a good LB so why not replace a average league 1 RB with a good LB?
[/quote]

Brazil have the two best right backs in the world in Maicon and Dani Alves but they don''t try and force one of them to play on the left!, that square peg in round hole method has never worked.

[quote user="I am an Apple"]Tell us what your team selection for the Watford game would be!
Here''s mine:

Ruddy
S.Smith    Nelson     Ward   Drury
                          Fox
           Crofts                 Surman
                      Hoolahan
                Holt          Martin
(Jackson if Holt isn''t fit)
[/quote]

Thats the right team apart from the right back position. Russell Martin should start instead because he is actually a right back whereas Smith would just be a left back filling in and he cant be match fit.

Steven Smith is out until September, Lambert said so! He''s never played right back and Martin was very good there against Everton!

Much as the same reason when last season we brought in a youth RB (Francomb) rather than play Drury/Lappin at RB!

[quote user="Pabs"]Steven Smith at right back? He isnt even fit!

What does everyone see that is so bad in Russell Martin? personally,I think he is of the Edworthy ilk - nothing special but does the job![/quote]I still dont get the R.Martin bashing that happens on here time after time. Had a solid season in League 1 and no reason to not give him a chance in the championship same as the rest of the League 1 squad still in the team. Thought he was one of the better players yesterday - a couple of decent crosses, seemed to be more attacking in the 2nd half which worked well but still didnt get caught out too much defensively against a very good attacking side.It might be a mistake, but he deserves a chance as much as anyone based on last season and this pre-season and i hope he proves everyone wrong. Other than the Cranie rumour which didnt last long, Lambert seems happy with the RB position and R.Martin starting there. Korey and Francomb look like good replacements and its probably the one position in defence i feel most comfortable with!So the team should be:------------------Ruddy-------------------Martin------Ward------Nelson---Drury-----Crofts--------Fox--------Surman-------------------Hoolahan----------------------------Holt----------Martin------------

Wouldn''t mind seeing Korey or even Francomb start at right back but am perfectly content with Russell Martin. Yes he isn''t exactly the greatest attacking fullback in the world but he''s very solid defensively and has shown glimpses of real attacking ability, particularly when driving into the middle of the park (not exactly what you want from a full back i know but if it can get us the odd goal I am not going to complain too heartily). The key is to develop a strong settled back four early, we can play around with the midfeld and attack but we need to establish a solid defensive unit and build from there, as far as I''m concerned Martin has done nothing so far to warrant losing his place in the side and there is no point in playing players out of position because the one we have there is not the next Maicon or Roberto Carlos!

[quote user="Persnickety"][quote user="Pabs"]Steven Smith at right back? He isnt even fit! What does everyone see that is so bad in Russell Martin? personally,I think he is of the Edworthy ilk - nothing special but does the job![/quote]

I still dont get the R.Martin bashing that happens on here time after time. Had a solid season in League 1 and no reason to not give him a chance in the championship same as the rest of the League 1 squad still in the team. Thought he was one of the better players yesterday - a couple of decent crosses, seemed to be more attacking in the 2nd half which worked well but still didnt get caught out too much defensively against a very good attacking side.

It might be a mistake, but he deserves a chance as much as anyone based on last season and this pre-season and i hope he proves everyone wrong. Other than the Cranie rumour which didnt last long, Lambert seems happy with the RB position and R.Martin starting there. Korey and Francomb look like good replacements and its probably the one position in defence i feel most comfortable with!

So the team should be:

------------------Ruddy-------------------
Martin------Ward------Nelson---Drury
-----Crofts--------Fox--------Surman---
----------------Hoolahan------------------
----------Holt----------Martin------------
[/quote]

I think this will be the side (even if Holt is 80% he must start).

If I could venture a prediction on the 7 subs, I''d say,

Rudd,Askou,K.Smith(if fit),Lappin,McNamee,Jackson , the last place between Hughes or Johnson depending on whether Lambert goes with 2 strikers on the bench?

Simon Lappin, King Of Spain wrote:Wouldn''t mind seeing Korey or even Francomb start at right back but am perfectly content with Russell Martin. Yes he isn''t exactly the greatest attacking fullback in the world but he''s very solid defensively and has shown glimpses of real attacking ability, particularly when driving into the middle of the park (not exactly what you want from a full back i know but if it can get us the odd goal I am not going to complain too heartily). The key is to develop a strong settled back four early, we can play around with the midfeld and attack but we need to establish a solid defensive unit and build from there, as far as I''m concerned Martin has done nothing so far to warrant losing his place in the side and there is no point in playing players out of position because the one we have there is not the next Maicon or Roberto Carlos!Was a great moment yesterday when a through pass was made to R.Martin with Chrissy Martin about 10 yards behind him, he didnt look far off getting to it either. He does look good going forward and it seemed him and Drury were told at half time to get forward more which then ultimately led to the first goal. Hopefully they will both be able to do this in the championship as in the first half we looked a bit too narrow.

[quote user="I am an Apple"][quote user="Brendo "][quote user="I am an Apple"][quote user="Brendo "][quote user="I am an Apple"]Lol why not he''s ment to be a good LB so why not replace a average league 1 RB with a good LB?
[/quote]You ever seen him play?
[/quote]
No but has he ever played RB?
[/quote]Has Russel Martin? Yes, many a time, and many a time has he done it superbly! If you''ve never seen Smith play, then how can you be calling for him to come in, injured and play out of position? [:S]
[/quote]
Superbly my @ss he''s done ok coming in at RB, and I ofc didn''t mean play him when he''s not fit/injured, thought that was pretty obvious.
Many players play well out of position, phillip Lahm for instance (Not that i''m comparing to the two).
[/quote]

I know it''s hard but sometimes you just have to admit you''re wrong and back down.

didn''t we play Drury or Brennan as a rightback in one game in the premiership - against Middlesbro? That was a disaster as well.

Other than that, playing Ste Smith at rightback makes sense. Except he''s not match fit.

Other than that, playing Ste Smith at rightback makes sense. Except he''s missed pre-season and hasn''t earnt his place.

Other than that, playing Ste Smith at rightback makes sense. Except he''s injured anyway....

[quote user="I am an Apple"]Lol why not he''s ment to be a good LB so why not replace a average league 1 RB with a good LB?
[/quote]

thats like saying ''rooney is a good striker so play him in goal vs a league 1 side''

I would start with the same team that started against Newcastle and Everton. We have played well on both occasions and I would be surprised if Lambert changed the line up. I have been a Russel Martin critic but  have to be honest and say that having seen him play for the last 2 Saturdays` friendlies he has has looked ok.

Why is there so much complaining about indevidual players on here at the  moment, we are playing really well, over the last 2 weeks I have seen some of the most entertaining football for a long time at CR. Yes, yes, they were friendlies and have no real bearing on competative matches but there has been enougfh quality football on show to give all the  starters involved their shirts in the starting line up against Watford. Then take it from there!  

[quote user="Persnickety"][quote user="Pabs"]Steven Smith at right back? He isnt even fit! What does everyone see that is so bad in Russell Martin? personally,I think he is of the Edworthy ilk - nothing special but does the job![/quote]

I still dont get the R.Martin bashing that happens on here time after time. Had a solid season in League 1 and no reason to not give him a chance in the championship same as the rest of the League 1 squad still in the team. Thought he was one of the better players yesterday - a couple of decent crosses, seemed to be more attacking in the 2nd half which worked well but still didnt get caught out too much defensively against a very good attacking side.

It might be a mistake, but he deserves a chance as much as anyone based on last season and this pre-season and i hope he proves everyone wrong. Other than the Cranie rumour which didnt last long, Lambert seems happy with the RB position and R.Martin starting there. Korey and Francomb look like good replacements and its probably the one position in defence i feel most comfortable with!

So the team should be:

------------------Ruddy-------------------
Martin------Ward------Nelson---Drury
-----Crofts--------Fox--------Surman---
----------------Hoolahan------------------
----------Holt----------Martin------------
[/quote]

Russell Martin is a good player. The criticism of him is pretty much completely unfounded but then some Norwich fans do have a habit of finding/making a weak link out of a player who actually is not a weak link at all.

He plays that position well, he''s steady. And, crucially, the guy has got a lot of pace.

Ruddy

R.Martin            Ward      Nelson      Drury

Crofts      Fox   Surman

Hoolahan

Holt               Martin

If Holt isn''t fit then Jackson in for him.

Also I want to see Korey Smith make a recovery ASAP.