Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Our 'questionable' opening day of the season record..

racking the memory banks this morning ,to my horror I make it 8 YEARS since we last won on the opening day of a season..

02/03 Norwich 4-0 Grimsby

03/04 Bradford 2-2 Norwich

04/05 Norwich 1-1 C.Palace

05/06 Nowich 0-0 Coventry

06/07 Leeds 1-0 Norwich

07/08 Preston 0-0 Norwich

08/09 Coventy 2-0 Norwich

09/10 Norwich ?-? Colchester , can''t remember this one, think we lost ?!?

Furthrmore you have to go back a staggering 15 years since we last won an opening day fixture away (95/96 -Luton)

There can''t be many clubs with as bad a record as this in recent years, can it be put down to anything? Obviously theres always an element of caution on a first game when nobody wants to lose, which may explaina couple of the draws.............please,please put this to bed on Friday night!!!!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

racking the memory banks this morning ,to my horror I make it 8 YEARS since we last won on the opening day of a season..

06/07 Leeds 1-0 Norwich

Furthrmore you have to go back a staggering 15 years since we last won an opening day fixture away (95/96 -Luton)

There can''t be many clubs with as bad a record as this in recent years, can it be put down to anything? Obviously theres always an element of caution on a first game when nobody wants to lose, which may explaina couple of the draws.............please,please put this to bed on Friday night!!!!

[/quote]

Fairly sure the highlighted was 1-1 as opposed to 0-0.

[quote user="Mushroom"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

06/07 Leeds 1-0 Norwich

[/quote]

[/quote]

You maybe right there, wasn''t 100% sure but knew we didn''t win.......that was the infamous match which was switched from an away to home match as Coventry''s new stadium wasn''t ready.

Norwich v Colchester, we won that one.Oh, and these are not the droids you are looking for.*waves hand in mysterious Jedi way*

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

06/07 Leeds 1-0 Norwich

[/quote]

Just one other footnore, the season prior to the Grimsby match in 02/03 was a 4-0 defeat away at Millwall........maybe even that one win was a blip !!

We haven''t been ready to go all too often in the past. Perhaps this is why I have personally come to dislike early season. It has been a view in recent times that eventually, through necessity, the squad picks itself.

Players unfit, poorly prepared by pre-season or squad not properly compiled. We have often had to relaunch our season in September/October.

Last year McNally re-launched after one game...not typical Norwich, and Lambert has clearly worked the players hard after gettin in who he wanted ASAP.

The Club is now managed so much better than in the past; but that said, we still have weaknesses. Grant Holt is showing his character to rectify one area; Ruddy is an unknown quantity in another and at centre half we still concern me.

I have heard rumours that Championship clubs will take on loans once the transfer window closes and Premiership sides know what they''ve got. It wouldn''t surprise me to see a quality player on loan, maybe at centre half.

But as for the original point; I hope we dismiss that sorry record along with the Sky jinx this time; and I would struggle to find strong reasons if we do not as for me PL and DM have done their best.

the last time we started the season with a live game we won didn`t we Luton away 95/96 season so lets hope this starts like that last home game shown live opening game was Man Utd 93/94 lost 2-0 .......

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]So opening day of the season and on Sky, what can possibly go wrong..?[/quote]Maybe its going to be a double negative? And we will win 3-0?? Thats what im banking on anyway!

[quote user="NottsCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]So opening day of the season and on Sky, what can possibly go wrong..?[/quote]

Maybe its going to be a double negative? And we will win 3-0?? Thats what im banking on anyway!
[/quote]

we can all hope [y]

No need to worry. What has our previous teams, with previous managers against different teams got to do with tomorrow? Yes, it might be a bad start, but we will smash Watford!

[quote user="Mushroom"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

06/07 Leeds 1-0 Norwich

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah it was, I remember we went 1-0 up, with an Ashton header I think.

[quote user="Brendo "]No need to worry. What has our previous teams, with previous managers against different teams got to do with tomorrow? Yes, it might be a bad start, but we will smash Watford!
[/quote]

I have a horrible feeling this thread/post will be brought up after Friday now lol.

[quote user="I am a Pomegranate"]

[quote user="Brendo "]No need to worry. What has our previous teams, with previous managers against different teams got to do with tomorrow? Yes, it might be a bad start, but we will smash Watford![/quote]

I have a horrible feeling this thread/post will be brought up after Friday now lol.

[/quote]You can guarantee that pommie, either way.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]So opening day of the season and on Sky, what can possibly go wrong..?[/quote]So the smart money must go on an away win with a saver for the draw.Far easier for me to say than do when Norwich are involved though........

[quote user="Seat0123"][quote user="I am a Pomegranate"]

[quote user="Brendo "]No need to worry. What has our previous teams, with previous managers against different teams got to do with tomorrow? Yes, it might be a bad start, but we will smash Watford![/quote]

[/quote]You can guarantee that pommie, either way.[/quote]I certainly won''t bring it up. I aint one of these people who gets pleasure by being an arrogant arse. [Y]

I''m just going to assume that we will lose this game, then anything better than that is ok bearing in mind our usual abysmal record.  [:D]

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]So opening day of the season and on Sky, what can possibly go wrong..?[/quote]

Do we stand a chance? lol Watford are at 10/3, maybe worth a bet with that ^ omen over our heads.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]OR you could look at as we''ve only lost once at home on the opening day of the season for x amount of years...[/quote]

now THAT is a question......I''ll go 0-2 Wolves, 97/98 ish??, a young Robbie Keane scoring on his debut??

[quote user="morty"]Norwich v Colchester, we won that one.Oh, and these are not the droids you are looking for.*waves hand in mysterious Jedi way*[/quote][:D][:D][:D]