Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Nelson - have I missed something?

All this talk about Nelson being rubbish has been getting on my wick. Almost everyone has called him a ''League 1 defender, who will be out of his depth at Championship level''. Err, he''s never played in the champ so how can you judge? [:S]Now I am not saying he''s good enough or he isn''t, I just think you all need to give him a chance. I feel at this current time, he''s out best centre back. So why oh why can you judge him before he even plays. Let''s just wait and see at the Watford game. Feel free to quote me if I am wrong, but I reckon he''ll be ace next friday. Don''t judge on pre season, and give the poor bugger a chance!So basically - give him a chance. Thanks.

[quote user="CT"]I thought he was great yesterday and would definitely start him on Friday.

COYY[/quote]Good man. [{][}]

[quote user="Brendo "]All this talk about Nelson being rubbish has been getting on my wick. Almost everyone has called him a ''League 1 defender, who will be out of his depth at Championship level''. Err, he''s never played in the champ so how can you judge? [:S]

Now I am not saying he''s good enough or he isn''t, I just think you all need to give him a chance. I feel at this current time, he''s out best centre back. So why oh why can you judge him before he even plays.

Let''s just wait and see at the Watford game. Feel free to quote me if I am wrong, but I reckon he''ll be ace next friday. Don''t judge on pre season, and give the poor bugger a chance!

So basically - give him a chance.

Thanks.
[/quote]

he has on my fifa, and he looked out of his depth [:P]

We are just looking at him from last season, where he did struggle at the start and although he improved enough to cope but its a huge step to the championship and that step may be to high for him to take.

So, if you''re looking at him from last season, he was one of the best defenders in the league, right?

So if we are going to judge on pre season (yesterday''s blunder), that means Ward will be out of his depth too. Nelson was very good yesterday I thought, alot better than Ward. Which means Ward will be pants next season and we will go down then, surely?

[quote user="Brendo "]So, if you''re looking at him from last season, he was one of the best defenders in the league, right? LEFT!! [y]

So if we are going to judge on pre season (yesterday''s blunder), that means Ward will be out of his depth too. Nelson was very good yesterday I thought, alot better than Ward. Which means Ward will be pants next season and we will go down then, surely?
[/quote]

Possibly yeah. I just think nelson will have to hoof the ball much more, unless he gives the ball to fox/crofts to spray the ball around, that might work !!

[quote user="Brendo "]So, if you''re looking at him from last season, he was one of the best defenders in the league, right?

So if we are going to judge on pre season (yesterday''s blunder), that means Ward will be out of his depth too. Nelson was very good yesterday I thought, alot better than Ward. Which means Ward will be pants next season and we will go down then, surely? [/quote]going abit far there

[quote user="NCFC-47"][quote user="Brendo "]So, if you''re looking at him from last season, he was one of the best defenders in the league, right?

[/quote]

going abit far there
[/quote]

well he can''t have been too bad, we didn''t conceed many.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="NCFC-47"][quote user="Brendo "]So, if you''re looking at him from last season, he was one of the best defenders in the league, right?

So if we are going to judge on pre season (yesterday''s blunder), that means Ward will be out of his depth too. Nelson was very good yesterday I thought, alot better than Ward. Which means Ward will be pants next season and we will go down then, surely? [/quote]going abit far there[/quote]

[/quote]he was good lol just saying he wasnt one of the best

[quote user="NCFC-47"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

So if we are going to judge on pre season (yesterday''s blunder), that means Ward will be out of his depth too. Nelson was very good yesterday I thought, alot better than Ward. Which means Ward will be pants next season and we will go down then, surely? [/quote]going abit far there[/quote]

[/quote]he was good lol just saying he wasnt one of the best[/quote]Top 5 for you then?

I think with a more cultured outlet immediately in front of him in Fox who hopefully will be available for more shorter range passes his distribution skills won''t matter quite so much. He just has to make the right decision on whether to hoof it or pass it short to one of the better passers.

I do still some reservations about him once he has been turned (which will happen) by pace. Like all our team I will give him time to prove himself at this level before I start slagging him off (as I do with all players).

Davo

I view this quite simply.  Nelson in terms of style and ability is exactly the same as Doherty only on far less money- which is why we got rid of Doc.  Doherty was ok at Champs level and i think Nelson will be too.

Right, Nelson is NOT our best centre back. He is our most in-form CB, but no way can you say he is a better player than Ward, Whitbread or even Askou. I like the guy but he isn''t exactly comfortable on the ball, whereas Whitbread and Ward definitely are. I''m not judging this on his performance yesterday, but on last season. He tended to hoof the ball either up field or out the stadium.Now, he may be better suited to a team like Coventry who will now play a lot of balls in the air up to the front men.

[quote user="Brendo "]All this talk about Nelson being rubbish has been getting on my wick. Almost everyone has called him a ''League 1 defender, who will be out of his depth at Championship level''. Err, he''s never played in the champ so how can you judge? [:S]Now I am not saying he''s good enough or he isn''t, I just think you all need to give him a chance. I feel at this current time, he''s out best centre back. So why oh why can you judge him before he even plays. Let''s just wait and see at the Watford game. Feel free to quote me if I am wrong, but I reckon he''ll be ace next friday. Don''t judge on pre season, and give the poor bugger a chance!So basically - give him a chance. Thanks. [/quote]Reading between the lines here, I think you''re saying we should give him a chance?

[quote user="Brendo "]All this talk about Nelson being rubbish has been getting on my wick. Almost everyone has called him a ''League 1 defender, who will be out of his depth at Championship level''. Err, he''s never played in the champ so how can you judge? [:S]Now I am not saying he''s good enough or he isn''t, I just think you all need to give him a chance. I feel at this current time, he''s out best centre back. So why oh why can you judge him before he even plays. Let''s just wait and see at the Watford game. Feel free to quote me if I am wrong, but I reckon he''ll be ace next friday. Don''t judge on pre season, and give the poor bugger a chance!So basically - give him a chance. Thanks. [/quote]A couple of things.a) By saying he''s our best centre-back, you''re judging Elliott Ward, aren''t you?b) Nelson''s problems are there for all to see.  He can''t pass a ball, can''t play the ball with his feet at all, is sluggish and has no acceleration.  He is a good defender in the air and will deal with a long ball team quite comfortably but he has zero subtlety in his game.  Basically, Nelson = Poor Man''s Doc.  Given that Doc apparently found his level in League One, we should be worried that a player with Nelson''s limited gifts is going to be one of our centre backs.

[quote user="scrimmage"]He is our most in-form CB[/quote]He sure is, and that is exactly what I said. I really like Askou, hope he will be fit soon. As for Whitbread, everytime he has played (very little), he just hasn''t impressed me. Maybe he wasn''t properly fit at the time, but I thought he was not very good really.

yeah agree brendo - all this talk about Ward and Whitbread being the ''chosen two'' well no...Nelson would be the 1st defender I would pick.

Its up to Ward, Askou and Whitbread to get the other spot. My money is on Ward for Friday night v. Watford.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]yeah agree brendo - all this talk about Ward and Whitbread being the ''chosen two'' well no...Nelson would be the 1st defender I would pick.

Its up to Ward, Askou and Whitbread to get the other spot. My money is on Ward for Friday night v. Watford.[/quote]Don''t think the other two are fit mate. I actually really rate Askou, but hasn''t played enough probably. Whitbread really isn''t that good in my view, although everyone thinks he''s like our best defender. No idea why. [:S]

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]yeah agree brendo - all this talk about Ward and Whitbread being the ''chosen two'' well no...Nelson would be the 1st defender I would pick. Its up to Ward, Askou and Whitbread to get the other spot. My money is on Ward for Friday night v. Watford.[/quote]Don''t think the other two are fit mate. I actually really rate Askou, but hasn''t played enough probably. Whitbread really isn''t that good in my view, although everyone thinks he''s like our best defender. No idea why. [:S]
[/quote]

I have never understood the support that Whitbread appears to have from some fans. There has been very little on which to make any meaningful judgement - I hope he does become decent, but what have we seen so far? We''ve spent a lot of time and money attempting to get the guy ready to play - and when he has it''s been nothing remarkable one way or the other.

Perhaps he''s spent too much time resting; probably dreaming he''s some kind of Thierry Henry - well at least he wears his socks in a similar fashion!

Here''s an article about this odd habit of ''pulling yer socks up''.....

Do only cool players do this? Im not sure why but heres the top 10 anyway.

1- Thierry Henry
Could it be anyone else? i think he started this craze and i dont think its because his legs were cold

2- John Terry
What are you doing JT. Your a bruiser, not an elegant forward like Thierry. Pull your socks down

3- Rio Ferdinand
Im not sure he does anymore. Quite a continental player and looks good on the ball so well let him off

4- Dimitar Berbatov
Just about above the knee. Not suprising really from the bulgarian who likes to look cool

5- Marcus Bent
Much travelled forward. Some may say over rated. Scored a hatrick last time i saw him with his socks up. Very high sock line.

6- Daniel Van Buyten
At 6ft 5 and being the son of a wrestler. The Belgian giant is probbably the hardest player from this elite group

7- Philippe Mexes
The most notorious sock above knee culprit in Italy, has at times challenged Thierry in terms of leg covered

8- Sergio Ramos
The young spaniard loves it, absolutley loves it

9- Fernando Torres
Often above the knee line. Well done though Fernando, you are world class

10- Diomansy Camara
The extremist sock wearer completes the top ten. Skillfull player, unlucky with injury

Close calls:

Emanuelle Adebayor- You think he does but it just his legs are that long and thin
Christiano Ronaldo- Used to do so when first moved to Old Trafford
Manuel Almunia- Very nearly Manuel

[quote user="NCFC-47"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]he was good lol just saying he wasnt one of the best[/quote]definatley in the top 5. find me more than 5 better defenders in league 1.