Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Still unsure about the CB's

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

I would like to see a quality CB come in on loan until jan just as cover for the start,

[/quote]

What like Jon Kennedy a couple of seasons back?

Bad route to go down. Lamberts made his bed releasing our best CB (whether people admit it or not) the Doc and replacing nhim with Ward who look like he''ll need time!

A loanee would only unsettle the team. We need to hope that the more games Ward plays the better he''ll get, just like Nelson did last season!

[/quote]

Callum davenport/martin taylor

west ham / birmingham?

If we are going to push for play offs we need a quality CB pair and one of these would be a great start. Im sure we could get MT cheapish. [y]

Taylor would be getting a bit now so would he be as good as what he was when he was with us?

Davenport- I''d be surprised after all thats gone on whether Davenport will ever be anything more than a middle of the road Championship player!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Taylor would be getting a bit now so would he be as good as what he was when he was with us?

Davenport- I''d be surprised after all thats gone on whether Davenport will ever be anything more than a middle of the road Championship player!

[/quote]

Very true, but we need a player of their quality.

of all the centre backs we have at the club Askou is the one that worrys me the most!From the games last season he strikes me as being a player who heads when he should hoof and vice versa. There were times i was watching him thinking he was a very good player, and other times he looked like an accident waiting to happen...I have said before i wouldnt be suprised if he doesnt start another game for us.. we have better options now.

Yup, all our centre backs are rubbish, give up any hope of optimism now because we will be slaughtered!

Seriously?

People overating and underating players.

Doc is being both underated and overated. He was not that great in the Championship and he is only older now, not better.

Nelson, not many will beat him in the air, similar type of player as Malky although probably not quite as good. Has earned the right to be given a go at this level.

Ward, just because he can''t get in another championship team doesn''t mean he isn''t up to the job. I can''t really see what people are moaning about with him, against Newcastle he was as good as any other defender on the day appart from the slip up for the goal. However to be fair to him how much game time had he had before then?

Askou missed a lot of pre season but he is probably our quickest centre back, kept pace with Beckford last season and some other pacier strikers. Strong and reliable.

Francomb, again looked good against Newcastle, quick and read the play well. Sometimes you see a little lack in experience from him but he does look calm and composed.

Back to Doherty. One thing that often occured to me watching him is that as soon as he was under pressure he began to panick. In some situations this helped us out like in the box throwing himself at shots to block them, at other times it created problems when he would grapple with people and get caught. He could also be kept sleeping. The goal Leeds got to win it at their place was the most obvious for me, rather than facing the goal kick he was facing upfield and yelling at the rest of the defence, a player of his experience should be shouting to players to face it and to know to anticipate a misstake.

Thats just one example. Sometimes its not in a players ability to pass a ball, its in their mentality and ability to read and know the game. In many ways this is where I think Doherty could be weak sometimes. And it wasn''t always his first instinct to pass a ball either.

That said he wasn''t a bad player either and you cannot shirk the guys commitment to the cause. The problem I have is that the writing has been on the wall for a few seasons now with him almost going for the last two summers before this one. It was enevitable and he has gone back down south, I don''t think it was a matter of trying to keep him as I think only more money would have done it and I''m not sure that a season in League 1 warrents a pay rise when you were partly responsible for getting us there in the first place.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]of all the centre backs we have at the club Askou is the one that worrys me the most!

From the games last season he strikes me as being a player who heads when he should hoof and vice versa. There were times i was watching him thinking he was a very good player, and other times he looked like an accident waiting to happen...

I have said before i wouldnt be suprised if he doesnt start another game for us.. we have better options now.
[/quote]

Really? He looked like a no-nonsense type of player to me. Got rid when he had to and tried to keep posession and play it when he could. I don''t remember him making too many misstakes and even had the presence of mind to cover a few of Doherty''s gaffs as well.

Can''t remember the game but Doherty stepped up very late and played a player onside, Askou managed to read the play and make it back and make a superb challenge to stop a certain one on one with Forster.

Ideally I''d like to see another CB brought in. Nelson and Askou both deserve a crack at it but may well fall short and as someone else pointed out, i think its a bit naive to think Whitbread can become a regular given his history of injuries.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Nelson has earnt his chance to play in the Championship, but I believe he will quickly prove to be a League One player at best.  Ward and Whitbread are where my hopes lie, Askou can  cover but wouldn''t be first choice for me.In order:WardWhitbreadAskouNelson[/quote]Agree