Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Still unsure about the CB's

I’m still not sure about our CB positions. I have only been able to read peoples opinions on here and view brief highlights on TV of the goals we have conceded. But I just don’t think the CB’s look comfy.

Michael Nelson was very good last year as I believe he is a good CB in a low level league but from the goal we conceded yesterday he just didn’t look to be aware and we will be facing much tougher opponents each week and if he continues the same way we are going to concede a few IMO, just from player mistakes.

Elliot Ward sounds like he is unfit and not happy on the ball. In the championship we are going to be punished if our defence just continuously ‘hoofing’ the ball away as we will be under pressure for the majority of the game as this will most likely result in us losing games [:’(]

Zak Whitbread looks to me as player who is comfy on the ball, but got caught out of position on a few occasions, which will be punished next season. But I think with a bit of work from Culverhouse he will soon be our #1 choice CB.

JB Askou, I think is our current best defender and looked very good last season. He gets his head in, isn’t afraid of the tackle and will put his body on the line. But Lambert doesn’t seem to want to play him in the friendlies which to me suggests he wont play often next season.

.....* gone to fetch a tin hat*.....

Fire away.

Friendly games.......Don''t think you have the right Ward either.....he was almost the playmaker against Newcastle....

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Friendly games.......

Don''t think you have the right Ward either.....he was almost the playmaker against Newcastle....
[/quote]

I did say i was judging from other peoples views.

Nelson has earnt his chance to play in the Championship, but I believe he will quickly prove to be a League One player at best.  Ward and Whitbread are where my hopes lie, Askou can  cover but wouldn''t be first choice for me.In order:WardWhitbreadAskouNelson

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Nelson has earnt his chance to play in the Championship, but I believe he will quickly prove to be a League One player at best.  Ward and Whitbread are where my hopes lie, Askou can  cover but wouldn''t be first choice for me.In order:WardWhitbreadAskouNelson[/quote]I concur

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Nelson has earnt his chance to play in the Championship, but I believe he will quickly prove to be a League One player at best.  Ward and Whitbread are where my hopes lie, Askou can  cover but wouldn''t be first choice for me.

In order:

Ward
Whitbread
Askou
Nelson

[/quote]

I think that will be the order by january. But nelson at the top and that will be the order unp until then.

I do laugh at those that put Nelson as our worst CN when he is in fact our best one coming into the season!

Yes hes limited but hes totally commited, not rusty, not beaten easily and isn''t injured every other game. Hes proved this last season and durring the pre season.

Messrs Ward (rusty, slow and not comfortable on the ball), Askou (injured a lot, rusty) and Whitbread (always injured) don''t compare!

It does concern me that we''re going into the Championship season having released our best CB (The Doc) and our best one at present is a guy whos not played in the Championship before and one we had reservations about in League 1. Hopefully Ward can get match fit, same with Askou and Whitbread has a long injury free spell to give himself a chance!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I do laugh at those that put Nelson as our worst CN when he is in fact our best one coming into the season!

Yes hes limited but hes totally commited, not rusty, not beaten easily and isn''t injured every other game. Hes proved this last season and durring the pre season.

Messrs Ward (rusty, slow and not comfortable on the ball), Askou (injured a lot, rusty) and Whitbread (always injured) don''t compare!

It does concern me that we''re going into the Championship season having released our best CB (The Doc) and our best one at present is a guy whos not played in the Championship before and one we had reservations about in League 1. Hopefully Ward can get match fit, same with Askou and Whitbread has a long injury free spell to give himself a chance!

[/quote]

agree with this and this is what we have been lacking. But we need players that can deliver and feel passionate not just feel pssionate. I soon feel that nelson will be found out to be a weak link and we will suffer becasue of this.

"Limited but commited" players will get you out of the Championship, but downwards, not upwards.Ward is already twice the footballer Nelson is, and will only get better.  If Nelson starts against Watford it''s by default, not because he''s first choice.

I think Chops is on the money to be honest.

Nelson does however deserve a crack at playing in the champ. But i reckon if/when Whitbread is fit he will be partnering Ward, who although doesn''t seem to have much going on up top does seem to be able to play football - on a side note Ward and Nelson get on well, soo maybe them to at the back will work.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]"Limited but commited" players will get you out of the Championship, but downwards, not upwards.

Ward is already twice the footballer Nelson is, and will only get better.  If Nelson starts against Watford it''s by default, not because he''s first choice.

[/quote]

100% agree. Nelson''s form from last season will have earned him the place.

Ward has looked a bit dodgy so far for us, but I think he''ll come good. Been there and done the business before, so I''m not worried about him. Whitbread and Steven Smith are different altogether. These two worry me. Whitbread is a total sick note and I have not seen a thing from him that makes me get what all the hype is about. Weak and easily shrugged off the ball in the games I''ve seen him play. Milwall fans rated him massively, and I also remember seeing some Leeds fans saying they wanted him, but I really can''t believe the hype. I hope that he comes good as we probably haven''t seen the best of him. Steven Smith has suffered from injuries his entire career. Here we have somebody who has played at champs league level, which must mean he has some good qualities, but from what I''ve heard he hasn''t played a competitive game of football in a LONG time. This obviously takes its toll. I spoke to someone from Scotland not long ago, who played with him at youth level. This guy reckoned he was a good player, spread the ball about well and liked to get forward. But went on to say how he felt that SS was always injury prone. He also said he wasn''t the same player after his first big injury. We don''t have much cover at LB and if Drury gets hurt (which he invariably will) we''ll be well and truly buggered. (As much as I like Lapps, he''s not that great at LB)I personally think it''ll be Nelson and Ward at the back on Friday. Nelson has looked strong in pre-season so far, and looks like he''s up for the challenge. I was a critic of his at the beginning of last season, but I can''t help but like the passion and commitment of the guy. We know we''re going to lack pace at the back this year, so hopefully the CB''s continue to read the games well and develop a better understanding.Askou has only been left out because his wife just sprogged a new baby. I''m an admirer of his and it would be good to see him get some more games this season.Whatever happens, we''re going to score goals so let''s not worry too much about the defence hey? [;)]

"Whatever happens, we''re going to score goals so let''s not worry too much about the defence hey?"

but its much easier to conceede a goal than it is to score 1.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

"Whatever happens, we''re going to score goals so let''s not worry too much about the defence hey?"

but its much easier to conceede a goal than it is to score 1.

[/quote]Yeah, that was kinda tongue in cheek Nana (hence the wink!)

I''m personally undecided about Nelson, but for those who claim he is only starting through default, it makes you wonder why he has been our captain when Holt has not played

[quote user="canary_girl"]I''m personally undecided about Nelson, but for those who claim he is only starting through default, it makes you wonder why he has been our captain when Holt has not played[/quote]

he knows the players, and played well last season. I doubt a player who has been at the club for 1 month would be a captain.

"he knows the players, and played well last season. I doubt a player who has been at the club for 1 month would be a captain."

True, although I would have liked to see Drury given the armband back

[quote user="canary_girl"]"he knows the players, and played well last season. I doubt a player who has been at the club for 1 month would be a captain." True, although I would have liked to see Drury given the armband back[/quote]

I think drury will be faded out of the team now, becasue smith has come it. I still think Drury is a quality LB and his consistancy is 2nd to none.

[quote user="morty"]Bring back the Doc.

[;)]
[/quote]

Well based on pre-season I don''t think we''ve seen a better defender than the Doc in the side. But then it is only pre-season.

Letting the Doc go was a very big thing and as I''ve always said...for whereabouts Norwich City are at the moment it''s not going to be easy for us to sign a better defender than him.

However, you have to back this manager - he''s made so many right moves so far he''s earnt the trust. And I''m sure if the players he has brought in don''t do the business he won''t hesitate to make the necessary changes.

When we got rid of the Doc I thought, great!  When we brought Ward I thought, great!  But now the centre back situation is looking a little bleak.

For me Nelson is a League 1 player.  He is a good defender but the Championship is just a step to far.  It''s all okay saying he desrves to be in the team but you need to realise he isn''t good enough for the Championship and some players can''t help that.

However how the defence is at the moment he has to play with Ward because Whitbread is injured and Askou hasn''t got enough game time.  This worries me a lot and my confidence of the Watford game has gone down considerably because of this.

He will start the season but as Banana says he will get found out and will soon be moved on for Askou or Whitbread to come in.

[quote user="Boyo"]

When we got rid of the Doc I thought, great!  When we brought Ward I thought, great!  But now the centre back situation is looking a little bleak.

For me Nelson is a League 1 player.  He is a good defender but the Championship is just a step to far.  It''s all okay saying he desrves to be in the team but you need to realise he isn''t good enough for the Championship and some players can''t help that.

However how the defence is at the moment he has to play with Ward because Whitbread is injured and Askou hasn''t got enough game time.  This worries me a lot and my confidence of the Watford game has gone down considerably because of this.

He will start the season but as Banana says he will get found out and will soon be moved on for Askou or Whitbread to come in.

[/quote]

Norwich City aren''t a Barca or a Man Utd and trying to sign a better player/defender than Gary Doherty is going to be considerably harder than a lot of people will realise.

I''m sure Elliott Ward has got a bit more about him than he''s shown so far but then maybe you have to wonder why, if he''s as good as some have made out, he wasn''t getting a game at Coventry and has had to sign for a recently promoted side rather than one of the established sides fighting for promotion.

As it stands from yesterday, we are not as good in the heart of the defence (that includes the ''keeper) as we were last season. That needs to be put right and I''m sure this manager will do what it takes to get it sorted.

I agree. The only area of the team I am worried about is centre backs (although still have some slight doubts about right back as well). We have goals and menace in us up front. Our midfield is class and fluent (although may get bullied by more physical teams) but the central defence has a lot of questions hanging over it. Nelson will start against Watford i''m sure but the fact he is in our starting line up is, for me, a real worry. Yes he did well last year but he is an extremely limited player and he will get done by anyone decent on the floor or with a bit of pace at champ level. I think ward will be fine but he is 3 weeks behind the others and still playing catch up. Comments about him not being comfortable on the ball can only come from people who have not seen him play as, if anything, he tries to pass it out too often when sometimes he needs to put his foot through it. I think whitbread could be good if he can get fit but I don''t see him ever being fit enough to play a run of 10 games on the trot.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

Norwich City aren''t a Barca or a Man Utd and trying to sign a better player/defender than Gary Doherty is going to be considerably harder than a lot of people will realise.

I''m sure Elliott Ward has got a bit more about him than he''s shown so far but then maybe you have to wonder why, if he''s as good as some have made out, he wasn''t getting a game at Coventry and has had to sign for a recently promoted side rather than one of the established sides fighting for promotion.

As it stands from yesterday, we are not as good in the heart of the defence (that includes the ''keeper) as we were last season. That needs to be put right and I''m sure this manager will do what it takes to get it sorted.

[/quote]

why release him then..?

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

why release him then..?

[/quote]As stated in other threads, because he''s the wrong side of 30 and is likely on higher wages.

Got to admit that we aren''t as good in defence as last season but we can only hope that the more they play the better we''ll be!

Nelson improved last season in every game and ended up in excellent form. If he can play like he did in the 2nd half of last season he''ll be good enough for the Championship. The other 3 CB''s have got to stay fit for a start and have a run of games to get in Nelsons class!

Nelsons proved himself on the pitch for Norwich. Askou did in the 1st half of last season, Ward and Whitbread have done nothing yet so I''m amazed that some rate them above Nelson! 

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

I would like to see a quality CB come in on loan until jan just as cover for the start,

[/quote]

What like Jon Kennedy a couple of seasons back?

Bad route to go down. Lamberts made his bed releasing our best CB (whether people admit it or not) the Doc and replacing nhim with Ward who look like he''ll need time!

A loanee would only unsettle the team. We need to hope that the more games Ward plays the better he''ll get, just like Nelson did last season!