My team for Saturday would be

Green (if fit)

Charlton, Shackell, Helveg

Holt,

Jonson, Mulryne,  Francis, Brennan

Huckerby, Svensson

Subs McVeigh , Flem, McKenzie, Drury Ward or Gallagher

I think by playing this team Holt can protect the defence the 2 wide players are good at getting up & down, Shackell solves the height problem.  Mulryne can pass the ball without having to work his socks off & also get into the penalty box from deep positions & lets give Hucks his free role back. I just feel that this style of team gives lots of options & is better than going with 2 the Hucks up front formation. I feel that since we have changed formation we have been less effective & need more fluidity in the team.

Holts advantage is his ability to cover ground - he would be wasted in an advanced sweeper role as his distribution isnt good enough - it would be perfect for Safri though.

No Brennan for me though as either McVeigh or Bentley are better players.

If 3-5-2 is a possibility the team should be

Green

Helveg Shackell Charlton

Safri

Jonson Francis Mullers Bentley

Svenson/Mackenzie Huckerby

subs Ward, Drury, McVeigh, Sven/Mackenzie, Jarvis

For me its a 4-1-4-1 formation. This is the team to take us to premiership safety.

Green

Helveg               Charlton       Shackell          Drury

Safri

Bentley               Mullryne       Francis          Brennan

Huckerby

I really like a good 3-5-2 but clubs are only successful with if they have the players who can make it work. My hardest decision was at the back.

With only 3 defenders they all need to be comfortable on the ball and one of them has to take the leader role. I was more comfortable about dropping Drury who would be particularly good in a 3 man defence but that meant no height at all. Doc is not an option as he has no pace whatsoever which means he may be OK in a 4-4-2 he can have no place in a 3-5-2.

In the middle of the park the defence would need the wide men to work back which I think Jonson has done well and would move Brennan ahead of McVeigh who is simply too lightweight for this league.

OTBC

I did mean in a physical sense - too frequently he is easily relieved of the ball - but probably in a performance sense too.

His performances when he starts suggest he cant sustain the good performances we see when he is a sub - when plays as a sub he oozes class and ability but every time he has started he has been the invisible ineffective man.

Ouch - theres the daughter hitting me for criticising her precious Zipper...

OTBC

I like Fatboy''s formation.  I might change Drury for Flem and move Charlton to LB, but other than that it looks good.  That kind of formation is working for some other very succesful teams in the top half at the moment.

The only concern would be goals as Hux hasn''t been a prolific goal scorer, but I guess the point is he would draw defenders with his mazey runs allowing Francis, Jonson and Bentley to get into nice space, lay it back to Mullers who can pick out the perfect pass, job done

Safri is ideal as a holder in front of a good defence.  The more I think about it the better it looks Fatboy, you could have it, post it to Nigel at once.

just realised you have Bentley right and Bren left.   Although I like Bren and he can provide a good cross I would have Bents there and Jonson on the right, although both your team and mine with Flem over Drury and Charlton LB and Jonson rather than Bren with Bentley on the left would be good teams.

My preferred formation which gives us a fast breaking front 4 and a solid back 6 remains 4-2-3-1 with

Helveg  Shackell  Charlie   Drury

Safri   Mullers

Jonson       Francis      Bentley 

Hux

Shackell can learn from the experience of Charlie and Helveg and the backline have two ball passing players to assist with their poor distribution record.    Safri and Mullers have no compulsion to move far from the centre circle dominating play as Petit used to for Arsenal - without moving more than 40 yards.  The eager legs and pace of J, F B in the middle means they can work back when we are under pressure but can break effectively and quickly from good passes from Safri and Mullers.   Hux has the freedom of the whole front line to pull out of shape with good movement which will create space for our thrusting threesome (whoops wrong website) to exploit.    This is my vision for a successful city as it uses our most talented players in their best positions with an emphasis on passing and movement - a real city team.

If only Francis could get one of his efforts on target he will be a real star...   

Alternatives could be dropping Hux to the 3 section with Sven or Leon up front and Francis replacing either Safri or Holt.  McVeigh on the bench to replace either Bentley or Jonson as they tire, ditto Leon.    

oh no - just woken up - I forgot our manager relishes hard work over quality (because of the technical limitations from his own career - I am sure there is a medical complex to describe it somewhere..) and thinks a championship side can succeed in the prem. 

OTBC    

Stevenage Fan: Thanks for your input. Your dead right when you say this is the formation 2 or 3 other prem teams are using and having a degree of sucsess with it. It may look a bit defensive with only Hucks up front but the four midfielders behind are all good at getting forward and sticking the ball away. With Safri doing the holding role and dictating things from deep and Hucks pulling the saints defence all over the place there should be plenty of space for the attacking midfield to do the buisness.

Iv''e gone for Brennan down the left in an effort to take some pressure off Drury who was hopelessly exposed against Blackburn. With Brennan you get the best off both worlds, good defender but loves to get forward and has the knack of scoring goals (as proved at Forest and with Canada during the summer).

With a genuine free-kick taker in the team, i feel the team i have picked has more chances of scoring goals and will have dramatically reduced the chances of the defence being over-run and conceding soft goals.

I also am a great advocate of the 4-1-4-1 system - Everton have been employing that this season, and look where they are!  And in truth, player for player, their squad is not that much better than ours!  I mean, this system makes Marcus Bent look like a Premiership quality striker for goodness sake!  I also believe we have the players to do it, but for me it would be

Green(if fit)

Helveg  Shackell  Charlton  Drury

Safri

Jonson  Francis  Mulryne  Huckerby

Svensson

Subs: Ward(or Gallagher), McKenzie, Fleming, McVeigh, Bentley

I''d love to see the following formation. Can''t see it happening though.

Green/Ward

Fleming   Charlton   Shackell

Helveg            Safri                 Drury

Francis

Bentley                          Huckerby

Svensson        

Subs: Ward/Lewis, Mulryne, Brennan, Docherty and McKenzie.

I posted a similar team for the Charlton game but it was generally overlooked. 

[quote]My preferred formation which gives us a fast breaking front 4 and a solid back 6 remains 4-2-3-1 with Helveg Shackell Charlie Drury Safri Mullers Jonson Francis Bentle...[/quote]

i have to admit looking at all these formations that some of you guys should be up at colney

zipper, on paper your team sounds and looks good, can''t fault it, but as you say, will it happen?

about as likely as me voting conservative in the next election, oh yes and buying the Sun

our most talented players in their best positions ...... oh if only!!!!