Sign in to follow this  
Canary Magic

Are we being overly optimistic?

Have just been looking over a number of previews for the up coming season and most are putting us at lower mid-table finish with comments like " Will avoid a relegation scrap!"

I think with the signings we''ve made, the momentum from last season and the style of play and seen in the last two friendlies (ball possession, chance creation etc) plus with Holty getting back in the groove etc we could do some serious damage!

If we can re-create the home form of the Premier League promotion season and try to draw more than we lose away i think anythings possible.

Looking at the Championship on the whole this season i just can''t see why any one team is hotly tipped over another!!? I don''t see why a Scunthorpe, Burnley or Millwall could do a Blackpool (but i''m hoping that will be us of course)

Any way i realisitically think if we start well, win our home games (FCR), keep key players fit and get new people like Surman and Jackson playing to their potential we could scrape into the play-offs i feel.

What does everyone think is the key to success this year?

On another point, I don''t post much at all but am a keen reader of pinkun forums for years and no slanging you lot its boring!

I would take those predicitions with a pinch of salt to be honest. Hull and Portsmouth are still in financial difficulty and have extremely depleted squads as a result. So I dont really understand how they are being tipped to do well. I have heard a lot of talk of us promotion on here which I think is being overly optimistic. I think we are a little suspect defensively and we could give away too many cheap goals to make the top 6. Even last season the opposition were presented with chances which were squandered through a combination of poor finishing and excellent goalkeeping. This season I don''t think teams will be so forgiving. However I think a top half finish is certainly achievable because we have a very strong midfield combined with strikers who I think will be effective at this level.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]I would take those predicitions with a pinch of salt to be honest. Hull and Portsmouth are still in financial difficulty and have extremely depleted squads as a result. So I dont really understand how they are being tipped to do well. I have heard a lot of talk of us promotion on here which I think is being overly optimistic. I think we are a little suspect defensively and we could give away too many cheap goals to make the top 6. Even last season the opposition were presented with chances which were squandered through a combination of poor finishing and excellent goalkeeping. This season I don''t think teams will be so forgiving. However I think a top half finish is certainly achievable because we have a very strong midfield combined with strikers who I think will be effective at this level.[/quote]

And Hull only have 15 out field players fit and 1 keeper, they will do well to finish 20th next season and Portsmouth, well the less said the better, we have no danger of those two clubs pulling out any trees

Harvest 10 to 12 points from the first 6 games - and I think we''ll lay the foundations for a decent season.....I don''t think we''ll acquire sufficient away points for an automatic promotion spot.....Might just scrape into the play-offs.....hopefully.

Depends, I dont think theres many teams that stand out, however that means there a good 15-20 sets of fans who are all saying ''Why cant it be us?''Your right anything is possible, fans just naturally take the most positive end of the spectrum; I think a solid mid-table would be a very good result, a good base for a solid promotion push the following season.And please can everyone stop using Blackpool as an example. For every Blackpool theres several teams who didnt make it, and didnt even come close. Like I said theres no reason it cant be us, but theres no reason it cant be pretty much any team in the league.

I also worry for Blackpool going up. They played some lovely football last season and deservedly went up and are now punching above their weight. However as (in my opinion) i think they''ve no chance of staying in the Premier League but may try and over spend beyond their means ala Hull to try.

Not seen them splashing the cash yet either so maybe go up, enjoy the season as you''ll have highs (Man U 2-0) and lows (Fulham) and then come down flush in the knowledge you''ve got 4 years of £9million parachute payments as well as your money from season in the Prem as a much better platform.

Interesting template for Norwich in my opinion.

If you look at the established second tier Prem teams like Fulham, Bolton, West Ham and Blackburn theres no way in hell that we couldn''t find ourselves in their positions if we went up! Support wise we''re superior to them by a country mile

I don''t see Blackpool spending much at all as they still haven''t paid promotion bonuses to their players, according to the news at the weekend. Some players are due 400K !!

As far as we''re concerned I think consistency will be the key, and I think that we can achieve that with this squad under Lambert, so I''m betting on promotion via the play-offs.   

[quote user="First Wizard"]We''re going up, its foretold in the bones.[/quote]This coming from the person who told us Grant Holt was out until October.....Stop your attention seeking.

Over opto????

IMO, no. I have been watching city for many many years and these last two friendly''s they have looked very impressive, with posession, ball play and movement not seen in a long long time.

Before the Newcastle game I was in the mid table finish camp.

I can see 7 maybe 8 teams mixing it at the top this season and we will most certainly be one of those