Sign in to follow this  
Supermarket Prodigy

Calm Before The Storm...

Hi Lads, done a little pre-season review on our signings and what not. As ever, all feedback welcome. Can''t wait for Friday!!!!!

Cheers,

SP

The other day, I set eyes upon a fruit salad of bananas and grapes, it was wonderfully yellow and green. They were shaped into our famous old badge and, if our season is as sweet as that was, then, we’re in for a treat over these next few months…

Our pre-season has been like lumpy custard, perfect in places, though far from the finished article. There have been moments to get us jumping up and down like excited school-girls, then again, there have been moments where we’ve slapped our hands on our head and questioned our confidence. Though, from my perspective, this leaves us in the perfect mind-frame going into Watford on Friday. The ability is there, we’ve seen it, we’ve rejoiced in it, though we are all too aware it will take time. If the moments of brilliance that stood out against Newcastle and Everton, especially our little Irish Wizard, maintain a level of consistency, then we will take some stopping, there’s little doubt about that!

It’s coming soon…

So, onto the new-boys, starting from the back and our Ruddy Giant of a keeper, the custard example fits Mr. Ruddy perfectly at this moment in time. A terrific penalty-save against Stevenage was accompanied by a Robert Green style error against Everton a few days ago. Making Fraser Forster look small, there’s no doubt that John is a large presence within the area. Especially against Everton, I could hear the lad barking out instructions with the sound of King Kong in human form. One mistake doesn’t define a player, we all saw what happened to our new number one last season, though Ruddy seems taller and has a great deal of experience in England, with Dec and Jed pushing him all the way, I’m sure he’ll churn out what he’s properly capable off.

In defence, the additions of Elliot Ward and Steven Smith have added an initial hint of Championship class to our ranks. Although the man from Rangers has had a pre-season disrupted by injury, anyone who has held his own in the Champions League is sure to have something about them. Though, dislodging Mr. Consistent, Adam Drury, will prove a difficult task for Steven Smith. Elliot Ward on the other hand, is proven at this level. Spells at West Ham and Coventry have stood him in good-stead, a towering figure, with a thumping header on him, Ward will add to City’s defence as it looks to build upon the masses of clean-sheets collected last season. Ward has had a mixed-bag in pre-season, from making some terrific blocks to making silly mistakes. Though, with consistency, he will prove a bargain buy.

Midfield has impressed me the most. The trio of new lads have gone together like beans on toast, from the workaholic Andrew Crofts, to the pass-master David Fox and finally the classy addition of Andrew Surman, City’s midfield does definitely resemble that of a decent Championship side. No disrespect to Crofts, though, I was a little underwhelmed when he was announced as our first signing. I thought, we’re trying to build a Championship side? A midfielder from Brighton hardly screams that out at yer! But, I love the bloke! He looks top-class, he runs from box to box, tackling, passing and roaring his way through the pitch like an angry lion. If he carries on, he’d be my tip for player of the season. Fox signed from Colchester run by ever City fan’s favourite person. Again, signing a lad from a League One side, doesn’t really seem appropriate to compete in the Championship. Though, I was naïve. I hadn’t done my research, I hadn’t had a prod and a poke about. Fox was named as Tesco Bag United’s best footballer. When Boothroyd arrived with his hoofball tactics, a footballer would have little place in the side. Against Newcastle and Everton, Fox looks to have a good-eye for a pass and will prove useful in our new-look midfield. Finally, Andrew Surman! I have to say, the signing of Surs impressed me the most. For a newly-promoted Championship side, I would regard this as a real coup. Some of the passes he’s pulled off in pre-season have been truly marvelous and his classy goal against Everton only whets the appetite further.

Finally, Simeon Jackson arrived up-front. I’d describe the lad as a rough diamond, needing a little work, but full of potential. He has pace to burn and his awareness of space and overall positional play looks to be second to none. Though, shooting wise, he’s not hitting the target as often as one would like. Then again, it’s good to see a striker getting some shots away. A little lad, reminiscent of Rob Earnshaw, a few goals here and there and Jacko will prove a hit with the Canary faithful.

That’s the new lads, all showing potential, just needing a little slice of consistency. Onto the heroes of last season, captain Grant Holt has struggled for fitness during a difficult pre-season. A cameo role against Everton was greeted with a monumental applause from the Canary fans, a lovely moment, and, as usual the Horse delivered his usual all-action, never-give up style performance. Although looking a little rusty, what a boost it is to have our skipper back with the season just around the corner. Super Chrissy has scored a few, including a double against the Toon, looking in better shape, Martin seems to have adapted to Holty’s role, when playing alongside Jackson. Still a cracking finisher, I reckon Chrissy will take to the Championship like a duck to water. In defence, Adam Drury has been his usual Mr. Consistent as he approaches his testimonial year, a perfect cross against Everton, finding Andrew Crofts head, highlighted the quality Mr. Drury still provides. On the right-hand side, Russell Martin looks to have improved, getting forward a little more and appearing more confident in himself, although a little inconsistent at times last season, with fan’s support, RM is capable of becoming an Edworthy like figure. In the centre, the Admiral has been a rock against Everton and Newcastle, making perfect interceptions, winning everything in the air and making solid tackles, Nelson has shown he’s capable of maintaining his form from last season, and, if that wasn’t enough, bullying Jermaine Beckford will win him some fans! Finally, Hoolahoop! What a player he is! He’s been running rings around Premiership stars, his skill, eye for a pass and overall fantastic ability really build enthusiasm for the heights, he’ll hopefully hit this coming campaign.

With just two days to go until the Canaries step out in-front of the SKY TV Cameras and a packed Carra, there’s a real sense of promise surrounding Paul Lambert’s side. The battle lines are drawn, the tickets are bought, the Hornets are flying in, but the Canaries are ready…

Roll on Friday night, this is going to be a season to remember!

As soon as you started, you mentioned Bananas - that put me off reading ay more!!

Will try again later[Y]

[quote user="Dogger "]

As soon as you started, you mentioned Bananas - that put me off reading ay more!!

Will try again later[Y]

[/quote]

Give him a chance, i haven''t written this [y]

Nice summary Prodigy, decent read and I certainly share your enthusiasm! I think we''re just about ready to show the Championship what we''re capable of.