Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Court date may rule Holt out of opening game

[quote user="Bobert"]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Surely the club have got to arrange to fly him back? , either by charter plane or by helicopter if need be ?!?[/quote]

Oh give over!

This "lad" is a 29 yr old man and look at the charge..

[/quote]

??? .......and what''s that got to do with him potentially missing the match on Friday?

[quote user="Bobert"]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Surely the club have got to arrange to fly him back? , either by charter plane or by helicopter if need be ?!?[/quote]

Oh give over!

This "lad" is a 29 yr old man and look at the charge..

[/quote]

The pinkun article says he has to answer a charge of failing to identify the driver of the car from a period from 1dt May to 31st May.  What a stupid thing to have to go to court for.  Why do footballers constantly get themselves into trouble with driving offences?  Where this is not a serious offence and is usually 3 points and 60 fine, why do so many footballers think they are above the law and can drive carelessly or srink drive or speed?  Why do they think they are above the law?  Holt or his partner or whoever looks after his correspondence should''ve sorted this out when the original letter was sent. 

May be a blessing in disguise, he clearly wont be ready for 90 mins, but perhaps would be handy to have on the bench for last 30mins or so if needed.

Agree about the Chopper, he could get back for about £1500, take 75 minutes max.

[quote user="boss_surrey21"]anyone know any lookalikes who could stand in for him? What about Ryan Gilligan of Northampton? Splittin image of him. That will solve the problem![/quote]

Insua at Liverpool isn''t doing much after his move to Italy broke down. I personally think he could stand in for Grant....

While obviously it''s hugely frustrating, especially if he makes it to fitness, you do have to remember footballers are not above the law and it''s just unfortunate.

A banker would have to be in court when and where they were summoned.

However in contradiction to my own point lol, Kiefer Sutherland was permitted to postpone his jail time last year in order to finish shooting the season of 24. that is Jack Bauer though.

On the Ball city! Cannot wait for friday!

[quote user="Brendo "]Just wondering, could he fly back or do I sound stupid for asking?
[/quote]

This certainly isn''t a stupid suggestion. I remember Bobby Gould saying, when he was Wales manager that Norwich sent a plane to Cardiff after an international one Weds night to collect Bellamy,Roberts and Llewellyn after a match to bring them straight back to Norwich in order to prepare to a match the following Saturday.

I have no doubts that in this day and age this kind of thing goes on, you hear stories of players flying abround the country on transfer deadline day in order to beat the clock.

[quote user="City1st"]Long as he sticks his foot down he''ll make it ok

[/quote]

Assuming that he don''t get a driving ban that is, and I can''t see why he can''t plead guilty by proxy,unless its drink related?  

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Brendo "]Just wondering, could he fly back or do I sound stupid for asking?
[/quote]

This certainly isn''t a stupid suggestion. I remember Bobby Gould saying, when he was Wales manager that Norwich sent a plane to Cardiff after an international one Weds night to collect Bellamy,Roberts and Llewellyn after a match to bring them straight back to Norwich in order to prepare to a match the following Saturday.

I have no doubts that in this day and age this kind of thing goes on, you hear stories of players flying abround the country on transfer deadline day in order to beat the clock.

[/quote]

Maybe we can ask local Norfolk resident and Wing Commander (retd) Ken Wallis, to go and collect him in a two-seat autogyro?

I think Grant Holt would enjoy that experience......and it''s cheaper than a charter.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="City1st"]Long as he sticks his foot down he''ll make it ok

[/quote]

Assuming that he don''t get a driving ban that is, and I can''t see why he can''t plead guilty by proxy,unless its drink related?  

[/quote]

Surely it can''t be drink related as that is an arrestable offence i.e he would have been in the cells! The only thing that may make it a more serious case than the 3 points and 60 quid mentioned previously is if he was clocked on a camera travelling at a speed which would incur a ban.

[quote user="First Wizard"]If he''s found quilty of, say, fibbing to plod, could he get sent down for this?[/quote]

The charge is failing to provide the identity Wiz, giving false details to decieve the police would be a totally different charge.

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]If he''s found quilty of, say, fibbing to plod, could he get sent down for this?[/quote]

The charge is failing to provide the identity Wiz, giving false details to decieve the police would be a totally different charge.

[/quote]Cheers Attlebourgh.[Y]

Quite probably had to produce his documents at a police station after being stopped, and for whatever reason, he didn''t do it within the specified time.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe we can ask local Norfolk resident and Wing Commander (retd) Ken Wallis, to go and collect him in a two-seat autogyro?

I think Grant Holt would enjoy that experience......and it''s cheaper than a charter.

[/quote]

Don''t think that would work Mello. Doesn''t Grant need a seat for each cheek?

how can you go to court for failing to identify a driver?!?!?!?! if i got run over by some random bod on my walk home from work and they sped off would i have to go to court becausue i couldnt identify them!?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]how can you go to court for failing to identify a driver?!?!?!?! if i got run over by some random bod on my walk home from work and they sped off would i have to go to court becausue i couldnt identify them!?
[/quote]

I hope you are joking Jas.

just in case, he has failed, allegedly, to let the police know who was driving his car at the time a motoring offence was committed.

Is it not possible for the club to ask for the hearing to be rescheduled? It''s extremely unfortunate, being one of the few weekdays during the year when he''s needed.

It''s all a non-story.....The club will ensure that Holt is readily available for tomorrow nights game.

Been jolly good fun discussing and bleating about it though.....

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]how can you go to court for failing to identify a driver?!?!?!?! if i got run over by some random bod on my walk home from work and they sped off would i have to go to court becausue i couldnt identify them!?
[/quote]

I hope you are joking Jas.

just in case, he has failed, allegedly, to let the police know who was driving his car at the time a motoring offence was committed.

[/quote]

Exactly.  Anyone caught by a speed camera gets a letter asking who was driving as the camera cannot tell.  It is a criminal offence not to give the information requested.   There are all sorts of other offences where the same might apply, e.g. jumping a red light and careless driving.   The car is identified but the driver is not.

And yes, as a solicitor, I do know of cases where incorrect information was supplied although not in any case I represented(wife claiming to be driver because husband driver would be disqualified on totting up)

[quote user="ron obvious"]Is it not possible for the club to ask for the hearing to be rescheduled? It''s extremely unfortunate, being one of the few weekdays during the year when he''s needed.

[/quote]

The Pink Un reports solemnly that "Holt''s legal team tried to get the case adjourned to enable him to play, but magistrates at Shrewsbury refused his solicitor''s request."

Why the feck you need a legal team to apply for an adjournment God knows. In any case, what a formidable argument o support an application for an adjournment i.e. "our client is playing football on that day, your honour" ! The only surprise is that the Court Administrator didn''t reply saying that , if found guilty, Holt would be required to return for sentence hearing on 28th September at 16.30.

I''ve witnessed several similar cases in magistrates courts, and they get adjourned for all sorts of reasons.

Often, the person being required at work is ample reason to ''postpone'' the case until another date.

In fact, one case I saw was adjourned due to the defendant being unable to find a babysitter for his child!

Even if wasn''t adjourned, these kinds of cases are often settled in literally a matter of minutes.

The only issue is if (for whatever reason) there''s a hold-up/back-log at the courts, and Holt''s case doesn''t begin on time. But then even if that happened it''d probably end up being adjourned before mid-day, leaving plenty of time to get back.

I''d be very surprised if Holt doesn''t play tomorrow.

Just got to hope simeon jacksons bought some shooting boots at jjb during the week

[quote user="CanaryJames"]I''ve witnessed several similar cases in magistrates courts, and they get adjourned for all sorts of reasons.

Often, the person being required at work is ample reason to ''postpone'' the case until another date.

In fact, one case I saw was adjourned due to the defendant being unable to find a babysitter for his child!

Even if wasn''t adjourned, these kinds of cases are often settled in literally a matter of minutes.

The only issue is if (for whatever reason) there''s a hold-up/back-log at the courts, and Holt''s case doesn''t begin on time. But then even if that happened it''d probably end up being adjourned before mid-day, leaving plenty of time to get back.

I''d be very surprised if Holt doesn''t play tomorrow.[/quote]

Given that Magistrates Courts operate during the working week being required at work is not an acceptable excuse unless perhaps you are a brain surgeon. Needing to play football for your club is not a valid reason for adjournment which is why it was rejected.

Not having someone to look after your baby is of course a valid excuse however unbelievable it might be that the accused can''t find a baby sitter.

I agree that Holt will be available, because let''s face it, the cost of a helicopter to bring him to Norfolk is not going to be prohibitive.