Sign in to follow this  
Ooh Ahh Lee Power

Andy Marshall

What did Andy Marshall do wrong? He is  a professional footballer and he changed jobs from one employer to another, presumably because he felt it would further his career.Some people seem to have unrealistic expectations that players will (or ought to) show the same level of loyalty to their club that we do as supporters. If that ever was the case, it certainly isn''t these days. The more money there is in the game, the more mercenary players will become.Whether that is a good thing is another argument, but that''s the way it is.

[quote user="Congo Canary"]Orwell drink''n, baby eat''n, sister sleep''n never to be forgiven Judas C***! I feel quite strongly about this[/quote]

Wow - and we wonder why football fans sometimes have such a bed reputation!!

I don''t particularly like Marshall for joining Ipswich but lets face it the club were also to blame for letting him run down his contract. Admittedly he was within his rights to do so but we should have brought matters to a head 12 months before and tried to sell him. To my knowledge Marshall has never bad mouthed us in favour of Ipswich so now that he no longer plays for them I have no issue with him at all.

I still vividly recall his first full start for us in the New Years day match v Newcastle in ''95.  It was a truly blinding performance, I have never seen a more impressive full debut before or since. We should remember that (and other performances) rather than petty local rivalry now that the guy is set to move into a coaching role with youngsters. I wish him well although judging by most previous Marshall posts I''ll probably be the only one!     

He may well have joined Ipswich but we shouldn''t remember him simply for that, at the end of the day he is a footballer who should consider any club that comes calling as a potential road to bettering his career, not a fan who holds bitter rivalries with another side. He did some great stuff for us, so in my eyes he''s forgiven.

On another note, the grass roots goalkeeping academy idea he''s working on sounds like a top idea! All the old pros working with kids age 8 and upwards who are interested in becoming footballers, great to see!

He was a good servant to us. I personally have no grief with him. We could have done with him instead of his namesake in 2008/9

[quote user="cityangel"]

He''s a very nice lad and I''ve always liked him.

[/quote]

What a surprising post from one of the two resident middle aged posters who like Holt,before that Hucks and now it would appear Marshall before him.[:P]

Had he have been a mercenary foreigner who had just been passing through and joined them after playing for us for a couple of years, who could partially understand it, but Marshall was with Norwich from the age of 10 and came up through the ranks and would have known all about the rivalry, there were other clubs he could of joined besides them.

Will Tottenham fans ever forgive Sol Canpbell for joining Arsenal......I somehow doubt it

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[quote user="Congo Canary"]Orwell drink''n, baby eat''n, sister sleep''n never to be forgiven Judas C***! I feel quite strongly about this[/quote]

Wow - and we wonder why football fans sometimes have such a bed reputation!!

I don''t particularly like Marshall for joining Ipswich but lets face it the club were also to blame for letting him run down his contract. Admittedly he was within his rights to do so but we should have brought matters to a head 12 months before and tried to sell him. To my knowledge Marshall has never bad mouthed us in favour of Ipswich so now that he no longer plays for them I have no issue with him at all.

I still vividly recall his first full start for us in the New Years day match v Newcastle in ''95.  It was a truly blinding performance, I have never seen a more impressive full debut before or since. We should remember that (and other performances) rather than petty local rivalry now that the guy is set to move into a coaching role with youngsters. I wish him well although judging by most previous Marshall posts I''ll probably be the only one!     

[/quote]Ahem, "Petty local rivalry".Pete, get him removed from the board.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Had he have been a mercenary foreigner who had just been passing through and joined them after playing for us for a couple of years, who could partially understand it, but Marshall was with Norwich from the age of 10 and came up through the ranks and would have known all about the rivalry, there were other clubs he could of joined besides them.

Will Tottenham fans ever forgive Sol Canpbell for joining Arsenal......I somehow doubt it

[/quote]Seriously, how old are you?

He needed employment, would you have paid for him to sit on the dole, just to keep your silly pride intact?

Jeez.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="cityangel"]

He''s a very nice lad and I''ve always liked him.

[/quote]

What a surprising post from one of the two resident middle aged posters who like Holt,before that Hucks and now it would appear Marshall before him.[:P]

[/quote]

I''ve never had a thing for Holt you''re getting me mixed up with Kathy, As for Andy I know him and as I said he''s a nice person and would do anything for anyone.

Doesnt bother me in the slightest. Players often dont show loyalty to clubs, clubs often dont show loyalty to managers, fans often dont show loyalty to managers/players. Such is life.If the fans were to get on their high house, presumably local lad who came up from the academy Ian Henderson could criticise the fans for booing him in our promotion year? (Ignoring what has gone on since)

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I don''t forgive him.  You don''t leave Norwich City to join Ipswich Town.

[/quote]Err? Crooky did, yet you welcomed him back!

OK, I''m being facitious here, but thats how absurd this arguement is.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I don''t forgive him.  You don''t leave Norwich City to join Ipswich Town.[/quote]Err? Crooky did, yet you welcomed him back!

[/quote]Not as a player I didn''t.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

He needed employment, would you have paid for him to sit on the dole, just to keep your silly pride intact?

Jeez.

[/quote]

Don''t think he would have been on the dole!, as I''ve said there were other clubs he could have joined at the time.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Jeez.

[/quote]

Err Wiz, aren''t you the person who just posted this???

http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/2204989/ShowPost.aspx

Pot and kettle perhaps? I know they are not exactly the same circumstances but Preston are nobodies to us and he''s the enemy, yet someone who doesn''t forgive a player for moving to Ipsh1t from us needs to grow up?

[quote user="Ooh Ahh Lee Power"]For someone who played over 200 games for us in a 7 year stint, it does seem a shame he is remembered for joining Ipswich.[/quote]I prefer to remember him for getting relegated with us, Ipswich, Wolves and Millwall.

He wasn''t around when I started watching so am unsure, but i do feel it is slightly unfair to still moan at him. Joe Royal was an ncfc player but doesn''t seem to have got the abuse marshall did!?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I don''t forgive him.  You don''t leave Norwich City to join Ipswich Town.

[/quote]

Presumably you detested John Deehan then during that halycon period Aug. ''92 - December ''93? I feel sorry for you. 

Andy Marshall really hasn''t been on my radar for some time now.But I can understand people''s bitterness at what happened, being named player of the season and then leaving for Ipswich was a bitter pill to swallow.Think about Grant Holt going to Ipswich this summer and you''ll get the idea.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I don''t forgive him.  You don''t leave Norwich City to join Ipswich Town.[/quote]

Presumably you detested John Deehan then during that halycon period Aug. ''92 - December ''93? I feel sorry for you. 

[/quote]No, because what people do in management is different.  Hence I never "detested" Bryan Hamilton purely because he was a scummer, though by the end of his management "career" I pretty much hated him for his ineptitude.Deehan was a crap manager though.

Football is a tribal passion where normal rules do not apply, so I''ll never forgive the judas so & so.... Never that fond of Deehan either and Hamilton was a grade A cock!

At the end of the day he furthered his career. He plated UEFA Cup football with two different clubs. Like it or not!