Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Do we, as a club, want to get promoted?

[quote user="Boogle"]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]The championship is, in my opinion, the best league as it is totally unpredictable and the best team on the game wins. The prem is split into 3/4 mini leagues so makes it less exciting. But if we were to get promoted all we would do each year is to try and avoid relegation and where is the fun in that, losing on most weeks(un supportive but most likely true). I think the best for norwich over the next few years is to be pushing for the playoffs where it will be exciting all year unlike what the prem would be like![/quote]

I assume, you are young and dont remember top 5 finshes under Brown, Stringer and Walker.

Norwich would regularly go to Anfield and Old Trafford and come away with a win.

More money in the game now, but people seem to forget there was money in the gmae back then, its just 3m back then is 30million now, but 3 m was  thought of as obscene amount of money, as 30m is now. Marco Van Bastan cost 4-5 Million I think, and he is the greatest striker i have ever seen, and probably will ever see, {that includes the likes of Rooney etc} yet for 5m now you would be lucky to pick up Emile Heskey.

Do you remember Blackburn, challenging for the title year in and out? Man City in the 3rd Division? Newcastle bottom of the 2nd Division? Fulham bottom of the fourth division? Wigan in the confrence? Oxford and Luton in the top flight?

Its all about ambition. If you are not ambitious you may as well give up. When McNally came in, I have it on good authority, that he looked at the proposal Doncaster left behind, of ''a season of consolodation in League One'' and hit the roof, and demanded an instant promotion. McNallys ambitious, Lamberts ambitious, so should us fans just sit back and settle for the championship? Should we bollox!

[/quote]

The best we would be is a yoyo team like WBA..not fun IMO.

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Boogle"]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]The championship is, in my opinion, the best league as it is totally unpredictable and the best team on the game wins. The prem is split into 3/4 mini leagues so makes it less exciting. But if we were to get promoted all we would do each year is to try and avoid relegation and where is the fun in that, losing on most weeks(un supportive but most likely true). I think the best for norwich over the next few years is to be pushing for the playoffs where it will be exciting all year unlike what the prem would be like![/quote]

I assume, you are young and dont remember top 5 finshes under Brown, Stringer and Walker.

Norwich would regularly go to Anfield and Old Trafford and come away with a win.

More money in the game now, but people seem to forget there was money in the gmae back then, its just 3m back then is 30million now, but 3 m was  thought of as obscene amount of money, as 30m is now. Marco Van Bastan cost 4-5 Million I think, and he is the greatest striker i have ever seen, and probably will ever see, {that includes the likes of Rooney etc} yet for 5m now you would be lucky to pick up Emile Heskey.

Do you remember Blackburn, challenging for the title year in and out? Man City in the 3rd Division? Newcastle bottom of the 2nd Division? Fulham bottom of the fourth division? Wigan in the confrence? Oxford and Luton in the top flight?

Its all about ambition. If you are not ambitious you may as well give up. When McNally came in, I have it on good authority, that he looked at the proposal Doncaster left behind, of ''a season of consolodation in League One'' and hit the roof, and demanded an instant promotion. McNallys ambitious, Lamberts ambitious, so should us fans just sit back and settle for the championship? Should we bollox!

[/quote]

The best we would be is a yoyo team like WBA..not fun IMO.

[/quote]

Are Fulham a yoyo team? I recall them going from bottom of division 4 to The UEFA Cup final? in 10 seasons.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]If we were to get promoted we would have to survive 3/4 seasons avoiding relegation (which would be boring)[/quote]

Yeah, im sure Stoke fans are really jealous of us.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]To get a wealthy backer you have to be doing well in the premiership. If we were to get promoted we would have to survive 3/4 seasons avoiding relegation (which would be boring)and then and only then start to aim for a mid table finish (10-15th)and whilst that is happening the top teams, utd, chelsea, liverpool etc are still going to be imporving and it will be even tougher to reach the top. Lets see what all 3 of the newly promoted teams can achieve. Newcastle have the best chance with mike ashley and his money, but I cant see 2 of them surviving. The year after the 3rd would then go down. The best way to attack the prem is to go up, get the payments(get relegated the year after) and then build a team to win the champ and spend big, and then you would have a chance of long term in the prem.[/quote]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2009/12/9/1260372562825/Tony-Fernandes-001.jpg

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="I am a Banana"]To get a wealthy backer you have to be doing well in the premiership. If we were to get promoted we would have to survive 3/4 seasons avoiding relegation (which would be boring)and then and only then start to aim for a mid table finish (10-15th)and whilst that is happening the top teams, utd, chelsea, liverpool etc are still going to be imporving and it will be even tougher to reach the top. Lets see what all 3 of the newly promoted teams can achieve. Newcastle have the best chance with mike ashley and his money, but I cant see 2 of them surviving. The year after the 3rd would then go down. The best way to attack the prem is to go up, get the payments(get relegated the year after) and then build a team to win the champ and spend big, and then you would have a chance of long term in the prem.[/quote]

Ipswich qualified for Europe the first season the last time they went up didn''t they?  What is to say that any team can''t do the same?

Ipswich were then relegated the following season when they spent a lot of money on foreign duds like Finidi George and that useless Italian keeper!

I think the promoted teams that do well in the Premiership have no fear of it and have realistic ambitions of finishing in the top half in their first season and maybe sneaking in to Europe if they are lucky.  Everybody has Blackpool totally written off but I think they might just surprise a few people.  Anybody know what their price is to stay up???
[/quote]

Oh happy days, Finidi George, wasnt he one of the Nigerians with a dodgy passport that said he was 26 but was really in his mid 30s like Kanu?

Will people stop harping on about the past. I would love Norwich to go up but I am realistic enough to know that if we did it would be a struggle and like last time we would get beaten more often than win, there would also be some high points along the way and I suppose if like last time we had a chance of staying in the league on the last game of the season I would take it. But could I take it year after year in the knowledge that we cannot keep drinking in the last chance saloon. I don`t know.The days before the Premier league when the vast majority of the 1st division as it was then had a chance of winning it and also teams like Man Utd and Chelsea got relegated are never going to happen again. Maybe West Brom is the model to follow, when did they last have a tedious season? They`re either fighting to stay in the Premier or fighting to get out of the ChampionshipBut please people don`t go on about the past, It`s here and now that`s important and if that includes charging £2 for a coffee and £31 for a ticket, then so be it.

PS if you disagree with me that`s fine, but it doesn`t make me an idiot

[quote user="emmaroyds"]Will people stop harping on about the past. I would love Norwich to go up but I am realistic enough to know that if we did it would be a struggle and like last time we would get beaten more often than win, there would also be some high points along the way and I suppose if like last time we had a chance of staying in the league on the last game of the season I would take it. But could I take it year after year in the knowledge that we cannot keep drinking in the last chance saloon. I don`t know.

The days before the Premier league when the vast majority of the 1st division as it was then had a chance of winning it and also teams like Man Utd and Chelsea got relegated are never going to happen again.

Maybe West Brom is the model to follow, when did they last have a tedious season? They`re either fighting to stay in the Premier or fighting to get out of the Championship

But please people don`t go on about the past, It`s here and now that`s important and if that includes charging £2 for a coffee and £31 for a ticket, then so be it.

[/quote]

But when a team like Norwich in the Premier league season we finished 3rd, people kept saying, they will fall behind soon, they havent got the squad etc etc, but we didnt fade away.

What people forget is, and this is only an example of our 3rd finsih, we were up against a man utd squad of Keane, Ince, Schemiechal, Hughes, Cantona, perhaps a Man Utd team better than what they have got now. 

P.S. You are not an idiot, everyone has an opinion.

I take your point Boogle and you quoted Stoke earlier who by the look of things are actually doing things the right waymaybe that could be a model to follow, but preferably not their style of football.bring on The breakaway European league then the rest of us can get on with things

[quote user="Boogle"]

[quote user="emmaroyds"]Will people stop harping on about the past. I would love Norwich to go up but I am realistic enough to know that if we did it would be a struggle and like last time we would get beaten more often than win, there would also be some high points along the way and I suppose if like last time we had a chance of staying in the league on the last game of the season I would take it. But could I take it year after year in the knowledge that we cannot keep drinking in the last chance saloon. I don`t know.

The days before the Premier league when the vast majority of the 1st division as it was then had a chance of winning it and also teams like Man Utd and Chelsea got relegated are never going to happen again.

Maybe West Brom is the model to follow, when did they last have a tedious season? They`re either fighting to stay in the Premier or fighting to get out of the Championship

But please people don`t go on about the past, It`s here and now that`s important and if that includes charging £2 for a coffee and £31 for a ticket, then so be it.

[/quote]

But when a team like Norwich in the Premier league season we finished 3rd, people kept saying, they will fall behind soon, they havent got the squad etc etc, but we didnt fade away.

What people forget is, and this is only an example of our 3rd finsih, we were up against a man utd squad of Keane, Ince, Schemiechal, Hughes, Cantona, perhaps a Man Utd team better than what they have got now. 

[/quote]

we did thats why we were in league 1 last season.

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Boogle"]

[quote user="emmaroyds"]Will people stop harping on about the past. I would love Norwich to go up but I am realistic enough to know that if we did it would be a struggle and like last time we would get beaten more often than win, there would also be some high points along the way and I suppose if like last time we had a chance of staying in the league on the last game of the season I would take it. But could I take it year after year in the knowledge that we cannot keep drinking in the last chance saloon. I don`t know.The days before the Premier league when the vast majority of the 1st division as it was then had a chance of winning it and also teams like Man Utd and Chelsea got relegated are never going to happen again. Maybe West Brom is the model to follow, when did they last have a tedious season? They`re either fighting to stay in the Premier or fighting to get out of the ChampionshipBut please people don`t go on about the past, It`s here and now that`s important and if that includes charging £2 for a coffee and £31 for a ticket, then so be it.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]We''re talking about the 1992-3 season, not the 2008-9 season.

Thanks for pointing that out Mister Chops.

Was I being thick in thinking that what understand my point? LOL. You got it, but it seemed to fly straight over Bananas head.

[quote user="emmaroyds"]I take your point Boogle and you quoted Stoke earlier who by the look of things are actually doing things the right way
maybe that could be a model to follow, but preferably not their style of football.

bring on The breakaway European league then the rest of us can get on with things

[/quote]

Stoke, 2 mid table finishes, and aiming to break into Europe this season. Bid 12m for Carlton Cole allegedly.

Who''s to say our only goal in the Prem would be survival? Maybe the 1st season, but even then that would be a bad attitude to take into games.

If you can survive 1 season, the money available increases substantially because you have a 2nd year of huge TV money to work with giving you a bit of breathing room, plus the higher you finish, the more you get. Why aim for 17th season after season? There are several other clubs of similar size that make up the rest of the division beyond the big fish.

I understand the sentiment about the premier league being a closed shop, in all likelihood we would struggle season upon season until something dramatic happend to bring football back down to a more level playing field. But what is the point in playing any sport if you dont actually aspire to be the best or at least better than you are no matter how difficult it is to achieve.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Boogle"]

[/quote]

But when a team like Norwich in the

Premier league season we finished 3rd, people kept saying, they will fall behind soon, they havent got the squad etc etc, but we didnt fade away.

[/quote]

[/quote]

We''re talking about the 1992-3 season, not the 2008-9 season.

[/quote]

did utd, chelsea, arsenal etc fall away...no!

I am a banana, I, as chops cottoned on to, was talking of fading away that season {92/93} not nearly 20 years later.

Ok then I will play the game your way, did Fulham fall away after being bottom of the 4th division about 10 years ago, or did they play in the Uefa cup final last season?

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Boogle"]

[/quote]

Premier league season we finished 3rd, people kept saying, they will fall behind soon, they havent got the squad etc etc, but we didnt fade away.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did Liverpool fade away? yes, finished 7th last season.

[quote user="Boogle"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Boogle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

thats not really fading away, there still in europe.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I''m not sure your stats do prove your point, Smudge. In the last 18 years only four clubs have won the Premiership, two established big guns in Arsenal and Man U and two arrivistes with sugar daddies (Chelsea and Blackburn).

In the second of your eighteen-year spreads, almost twice as many different teams (seven) won the league, three of which did so through brilliant management rather than pots of cash. Surely you would admit that there is no chance of clubs of the stature of Villa, Forest or Derby winning the Premier League these days without a Russian or Saudi crook taking them over.

What your stats suggest is that has become harder and harder for smaller clubs to compete at the top, and that the Premier League has exacerbated that general trend.[/quote]I think that Leeds and Villa spent the least out of all of those clubs in the first two 18 year periods.Cloughie was a great manager but he also spent to bring success at both Derby and Forest (significant amounts of money at that time too).It''s going to be extremely difficult and take a REAL TEAM of extremely talented individuals YES.  But I don''t believe that it''s impossible for another totally unexpected club to win the league without the backing of a wealthy foreign investor.

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Boogle"]

[quote user="emmaroyds"]Will people stop harping on about the past. I would love Norwich to go up but I am realistic enough to know that if we did it would be a struggle and like last time we would get beaten more often than win, there would also be some high points along the way and I suppose if like last time we had a chance of staying in the league on the last game of the season I would take it. But could I take it year after year in the knowledge that we cannot keep drinking in the last chance saloon. I don`t know.The days before the Premier league when the vast majority of the 1st division as it was then had a chance of winning it and also teams like Man Utd and Chelsea got relegated are never going to happen again. Maybe West Brom is the model to follow, when did they last have a tedious season? They`re either fighting to stay in the Premier or fighting to get out of the ChampionshipBut please people don`t go on about the past, It`s here and now that`s important and if that includes charging £2 for a coffee and £31 for a ticket, then so be it.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]We''re talking about the 1992-3 season, not the 2008-9 season.

[/quote]

[/quote]Again I will say it... Liverpool 20 years without winning the league.  Who would have said that when the Premiership started 18 years ago?They were seen as a much bigger club than all of those that have won it at the time.  They had serious money then and have had ever since, so what is the excuse for them not winning it?  If it is purely down to money then I really fail to see why they have not lifted the league title once in the last 20 years don''t you?

[quote user="Boogle"]Also Chelsea when i was a young un, were a "yoyo" team. Look at them![/quote]Yes I remember Chelsea getting excited about winning the Old Division 2 (the Championship)... [Y]They always believed they were a big club and would come good though, even back then!Was that ambition of foolish blind faith back then???

Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely - whilst the big clubs rule the roost at the top, we still have more of a chance for Europe, and then....... what if FIFA / EUFA actually insist on the big clubs being not in debt and no transfers until they are - will this mean that they will ghradually get older players and bring them back to the pack - if this is the case, we as CITY need to be there.  Cant do that in the Championship.

I hate the Premier league. It''s a bloated embarrassment, full of self-importance about how it''s "the best league in the world", ruins any chances our national team has of winning anything, inflated transfer fees, dictated to by Sky Sports, billionaire owners that hire & fire at will, the only chance you have of winning is by being taken over by a Dubai-based consortium, and I''d rather stick with Delia thanks.I remember 88-89, 92-93 et al. It will NEVER happen again. There will never be a team like we were, who relied on coaching, scouting and passing football, and always had to sell our prized assets only to unearth more gems and keep challenging. Almost every premier team being quoted as "successes" on this thread have had tens of millions of pounds of investment. You do not sort out your financial worries by getting promoted either - just look at Hull and Portsmouth.To all those people jealous of Stoke City - ugh. How can you? Without Delap''s throws and the chairman''s money they''d still be gutter trash from the worst city in England. I''d rather be us in Division 3 any day of my life. Think I''m not ambitious? I couldn''t give a monkeys. At least I''m not a Stoke fan.That said, I''d like to win every game we play this season. Is there a way you could win the Championship but "opt out" of joining the Premier League? If there was, I''d take it.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Boogle"]Also Chelsea when i was a young un, were a "yoyo" team. Look at them![/quote]Yes I remember Chelsea getting excited about winning the Old Division 2 (the Championship)... [Y]They always believed they were a big club and would come good though, even back then!Was that ambition of foolish blind faith back then???[/quote]Are you saying we should be more like Chelsea fans??????? Purrrrlease. I''d rather chew my own arm off.

[quote user="Mook"]I hate the Premier league. It''s a bloated embarrassment, full of self-importance about how it''s "the best league in the world", ruins any chances our national team has of winning anything, inflated transfer fees, dictated to by Sky Sports, billionaire owners that hire & fire at will, the only chance you have of winning is by being taken over by a Dubai-based consortium, and I''d rather stick with Delia thanks.

I remember 88-89, 92-93 et al. It will NEVER happen again. There will never be a team like we were, who relied on coaching, scouting and passing football, and always had to sell our prized assets only to unearth more gems and keep challenging. Almost every premier team being quoted as "successes" on this thread have had tens of millions of pounds of investment. You do not sort out your financial worries by getting promoted either - just look at Hull and Portsmouth.

To all those people jealous of Stoke City - ugh. How can you? Without Delap''s throws and the chairman''s money they''d still be gutter trash from the worst city in England. I''d rather be us in Division 3 any day of my life. Think I''m not ambitious? I couldn''t give a monkeys. At least I''m not a Stoke fan.

That said, I''d like to win every game we play this season. Is there a way you could win the Championship but "opt out" of joining the Premier League? If there was, I''d take it.
[/quote]

Spot on there.

As I read somewhere (it may have even been an interview by Mcnally) one year in the PL would wipe out Norwich''s debts with the £90m parachute payments. Why wouldn''t you want that? I want people to look at Norwich thinking we are a decent PL side, not a team who are rotting away in the second tier, and as for opting out of the PL if we won the league, you are joking i hope?

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Boogle"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Boogle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

thats not really fading away, there still in europe.

[/quote]

Liverpool went from winning or competing for the title year in year out, to top 4 champions league place, to 7th and UEFA cup qualifying rounds, are you seriously saying thats not fading away? You may be too young to recall this, but Liverpool and Man utd have switched places in the last 15 years +. Man utd would see a top 5 finish as success in the late 80s, early 90s, while Liverpool saw 2nd place as a failure. No title for, 20ish years for Liverpool, that is fading away.