Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Do we, as a club, want to get promoted?

The Champs is unpredictable, also clubs in this league are now spending how the prem did in the mid to late 90''s a few million pound players. there is a limit on how big this league can get, there is not enough money even in the champ to compete to the best signings and thus progression.

You need massive new investment, also a good academy and scouting to become a successful Premiership team if you are our size.

It is building these blocks that will bing premiership stability. we are a selling club, I think that is a compliment just wish we had more players in the pipeline like bellars. The only way with our budget now we will make a quick 3-4 million is if we can sell one of our assets after a good year.

I expect, like Sutton, we will consolidate with a little flutter at the play-offs... if this team won promotino I would be worried for the prem. Holt playing at Shrewsbury two seasons ago, oli johnson non league football before stockport, the list goes on. I am happy to let these players improve and hope we achieve. But as Lappin, nelson, drury will find out we will replace our players with better players rather than squad players. Rightly so.

OUR AIM IS TO GET TO THE PREM. But it is how we get there... I am sure at some point the Prem. will change but with lubs running at ridiculous debts but being in the top four, we are a long way off.

I want us to go up and build, that is why when we went up with hux, we had to stay up for one year, like in the end wba did. They baceame a yo-yo club and without massive investment stayed there sooner or later they may do or have youngsters develop who they can sell but at the moment they will be a yo-yo

Following our relegation from the prem. worthy bought very very poorly and that led to the situation we are in now... we need to build slowly and the aim will be the prem. but it needs to be sustainable.

[quote user="Hoolahan Youlahan"]No, I don''t think they consider their team a success.No, I don''t think they enjoy getting whupped and scraping to stay up.No, I don''t think they like the utter improbability of winning the Premier League.But I shall put one point to you.I remember when Bolton Wanderers were a Division One outfit.They were promoted to the Premier League for a reason.And here''s a hint: that reason was NOT that they were happy to rot in the Championship.

[/quote]I think a lot of things have changed since the days they were in the Championship.The Premiership is a media hyped crock of crap. If anything I''d rather be a West Brom stylee yoyo club, because, lets face it, we aint never gonna win the Prem. As much as we''d love to, its all too easy to be just another club just making up the numbers.The Prem proves to be a poison chalice for clubs that lack super bucks, or try and extend beyond their means.

While I''m not one for sticking up for Banana usually, he has a point. I don''t enjoy watching the Stoke''s of this world batter their way to a 1-0 victory over us in the Championship, however it was also not a massive amount of fun watching us lose 3-1 to Chelsea, even if we had a brief glimmer of hope thanks to Leon. I suppose really it comes down to the spirit of football, and whether people still believe that on any given day a team of supposedly inferior players can beat a superior outfit. Unfortunately that spirit seems to be dying in the Premiership, but the fact that a team like Blackpool can get promoted from the Championship suggests that footballing romance still remains in the lower echelons of the footballing pyramid.

I partly agree. Only the part about The Championship being the best league. I like the way its all smaller teams trying to get into the big time, and for me that makes it the most exciting, as the Prem is so predictable.

However I think to not want to try and get into the PL is obsurd. What if Birmingham had had that mentality season before last? They did fantastic last season, pretty such is was a top half finish or thereabouts.

Pushing for the playoffs IS what we need to do, but to reach them, and then not do our best to get into the PL would be ridiculous. The only think I wouldn''t want is for us to turn into West Brom, who will inevitably get relegated, as they go up and down like a yo yo.

To sum up - CITY FOR THE PREM!

OLE OLEEEEE OLE OLE, GOING UP UP UP!!!!

Fact is, the most fun we''r likely to get in the next few years is challenging for promotion from the championship and for me that''s more enjoyable than getting whipped in the Premier league. It''s impossible not to want us to get promoted but if we do I know it won''t be as enjoyable a season. I love the real foorball experience of going to the likes of Sheff Utd, Oldham etc much more than paying through the nose at Stamford bridge and their gloating to**er fans, but the chance of sticking one over them makes it almost worthwhile. The posters on here who can''t see that promotion isn''t the holy grail seem to be the teenagers who probably don''t ever see City away from Carrow road. Yes we all want to see Norwich recreate the days of 1992/93 and even earlier, but until the premier league is totally re-vamped with wage caps, limits on foreign players or something then all we will get with promotion is over-priced and under-enjoyable match-day experiences, mercenaries, little old Norwich patronisation, whippings and mostly scrapping to stay in a league like Bolton, Stoke and the other teams who don''t play the way I want to see City play. Still want us to go up though..probably [;)]

I''m just struggling to believe that there are Norwich fans on here who don''t seem to want Norwich to ever be a success, would you rather us be signing totally crap players so there is no chance of promotion, surely when you are buying your season tickets etc. like me, you go to every game hoping to see a NCFC win? But obviously not, you don''t like and are affraid of success?????!!!!!

[quote user="ryan1992"]I''m just struggling to believe that there are Norwich fans on here who don''t seem to want Norwich to ever be a success, would you rather us be signing totally crap players so there is no chance of promotion, surely when you are buying your season tickets etc. like me, you go to every game hoping to see a NCFC win? But obviously not, you don''t like and are affraid of success?????!!!!![/quote]Sometimes things are a bit more complicated, you might understand when you grow up [;)]

The premiss of this post is a bit bonkers.Would you rather we had a good season or not? Win or lose most matches? Be one of the best teams in the division? No-brainer.OK, so we get to the last few games of the season. We''re second.Do we start throwing matches?Or we''re 7th . Do we start throwing matches, to make sure we don''t get into the play-offs, & may have to throw matches?The answer is simply to play the best you can with the best team for the best results. I''m afraid it''s the TINA alternative!Que sera, sera...

[quote user="ryan1992"]I''m just struggling to believe that there are Norwich fans on here who don''t seem to want Norwich to ever be a success, would you rather us be signing totally crap players so there is no chance of promotion, surely when you are buying your season tickets etc. like me, you go to every game hoping to see a NCFC win? But obviously not, you don''t like and are affraid of success?????!!!!![/quote]

so if we go up and stoke beat us by 3 and other low mid table prem teams do your going to enjoy watching norwich!?

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="ryan1992"]I''m just struggling to believe that there are Norwich fans on here who don''t seem to want Norwich to ever be a success, would you rather us be signing totally crap players so there is no chance of promotion, surely when you are buying your season tickets etc. like me, you go to every game hoping to see a NCFC win? But obviously not, you don''t like and are affraid of success?????!!!!![/quote]

so if we go up and stoke beat us by 3 and other low mid table prem teams do your going to enjoy watching norwich!?

[/quote]

Id rather us be a mid table premier league side than rotting away in the championship. Do you want us to lose most games so we dont go up next year, because you dont want us to lose most games against better teams?

Its about progressing. You strive to get out of league one, you win it. Then you strive to get out of the championship, then strive to stay IN the premier league. When you go up you''re open to more players, more opportunities.

What good is it to (stealing a previous quote) rot away in The Championship. If everyone did that then there would be no football. No challenge.

Someone previously just said that the "teenager" fans think its all about promotion. But I believe its about teamwork, about status, about being able to say we are a Premier League team and we fought bloody hard to get here after being knocked down so much in the last 5 years. And most of all, to be able to face Chelsea, Utd, Spurs, and know that we''ve earned the right to play against those team, whether we win or not.

And whats the worse that can happen? We get relegated? Back to The Championship? No need to worry about that, as most people are suggesting we stay there anyway?

[quote user="Canary1902"]

Its about progressing. You strive to get out of league one, you win it. Then you strive to get out of the championship, then strive to stay IN the premier league. When you go up you''re open to more players, more opportunities.

What good is it to (stealing a previous quote) rot away in The Championship. If everyone did that then there would be no football. No challenge.

Someone previously just said that the "teenager" fans think its all about promotion. But I believe its about teamwork, about status, about being able to say we are a Premier League team and we fought bloody hard to get here after being knocked down so much in the last 5 years. And most of all, to be able to face Chelsea, Utd, Spurs, and know that we''ve earned the right to play against those team, whether we win or not.

And whats the worse that can happen? We get relegated? Back to The Championship? No need to worry about that, as most people are suggesting we stay there anyway?

[/quote]

thats true, the last prem season - i was really lookign forward. But Worthy sold our team from before and then made a standard prem team (loanees and foreigners) and sold the other players. If i knew lambert was going to keep the players and add the odd few it may be ok to go up but I still dont want to go up to the prem to just fight relegation each season

I don''t know why but a phrase from The Dark Knight just came into my head:

"You can die a hero, or you can live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

[quote user="WOTB"]I have some sympathy with the Nana and City 1st on this one.but before you all fire off a volley of insults here`s my two bobs worth on the subject.I would love us to get promoted this season but I also fear the same fate would await us as it did in 2005.Yes we would get loads of money and you would hope that the current board would be wiser that the last one and not piss it all away.I came out of my hospital bed to see us beat Man Utd and it was well worth it but that was one of only a few highlights in that season.As has been stated the premier league is in fact made up of 3 leagues, the top 6 or 7 who will always be in that position, then there`s another 5 or 6 teams trying to break into the top and finally there`s the rest who`s only ambition is to stay in the Premier league whatever it costs, Hull and Pompey are prime examples of the cost.To me the only solution is for the so called top teams to f off into their own European super league then let the rest of us get on with it.If this happened then maybe one day we too could dream of being a force in the Premier league.Having said all that I`ll be keeping a interested eye on Blackpool this season to see how they go about it, and in a Kevin Keegan stylee I would love it if they stayed up, not because I`m a fan of Blackpool but I am a fan of the little guy.

Sits back awaits the abuse[H][/quote]Ask yourself the question why that was?Was it before we budgeted, hoping for a 17th place finish as success, instead of reaching for the [*][*][*][*][*]''s???  Remember we signed the Doc as a striker instead of doing what we should have done at the very start of that season and took a gamble on some of the best talent from lower leagues like Dean Ashton.Didn''t Ipswich show some ambition and qualify for Europe in their first season since promotion not all that long ago?Of course we can qualify for Europe again.  It just takes a good manager, the backing of the board and the fans, plus a little bit of patience.My God - how the hell did Brian Clough ever win two Eurpean Cup''s at Nottingham Forest??? [:$]I know there is more money in the game today, but that is the same at each and every level!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Just because there have been 4 dominant teams for a few years doesn''t mean it''s going to last for ever. Chelsea spent much of the 70s thru 90s mid table and lower. Man U were demoted. Arsenal never actually won anything over the last 40 years until fairly recently although they''ve been in the running most of the time.

Other leagues have their dominant, storied fanchises.[/quote]Very well said Houston... [Y]Good job that the likes of McNally and Lambert probably agree with you.Little old Blackpool winning promotion to the Premiership -who would''ve thought it???Anything is possible - and if Blackpool can achieve that then why should we not be looking to play in Europe again or win a major trophy?  Yes it will be difficult, but it ain''t impossible!

[quote user="emmaroyds"]Houston canary.

you make a valid point but all that was BEFORE the inseption of the premier league.

can you honestly see Chelsea or Man Ure ever being in relegation danger ever again[/quote]Is it not possible when the Russian Crook pulls the plug??? [:|]I grew up during the late seventies and the eighties... I never thought I would see a whole 20 years without the then mighty Liverpool winning the Championship!

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

I can totally see the fruitboys point and to be honest Im mainly with him on this.  He does spout an awful lot of rubbish but thats because he posts an awful lot, and I think he''s been slagged off for who he is - Smudger Cluck Bly and Morty have all had the same problem

Surely the whole point of following a football club is to see them win things and be successful.  Thats why the Champions League was expanded - because when a ''big club'' finished 2nd 3rd or even 4th in their league they were given another chance

The Premier League is NOT the best league in the world.  Its the best advertised league, its the most overhyped league - but in terms of quality La Liga in Spain has been light years ahead of us for a few years.  And the European competitions were won by an Italian and a Spanish club side

Ive been lucky enough to follow Norwich into Europe - but those days are gone and gone for a while.  The bubble will burst one day and its clubs like Norwich that will benefit the most

I loved last season - one of the other posts asked who Blackpool fans would rather play.  Well personally Id rather go to places like Barnsley, Scunthorpe, or Preston than Stamford Bridge, the Stadium of Light or Wigan.  The lower league clubs are proper grounds with proper fans.  Some of the prem grounds may be glamourous - with long histories, such as Old Trafford; but the majority are souless bowls full of corporate suits.  I have Sky Sports at home - but dont watch Premier League stuff, Id rather watch Scottish football or League 1 or 2 or even Conference football.  Why?  Because its typical exciting English football, blood guts and glory.  Its being able to see individuals in the crowd and seeing terracing.  Its seeing ordinary people earning a modest living - maybe a few hundred a week, not a hundred grand.  Super Sunday?  No thanks

Do I want to see footballers from Greece or Cuba play in the yellow shirt?  Not really - Id rather see a mix of English Irish Scottish and Welsh with maybe the odd Latvian in there now and then.....

I feel sorry for the likes of Brendo and Nana - because theyve never seen proper Division 1 English Top Flight football.  Theyve only seen Premier League and its completely different.  Maybe I sound like an old git and maybe I am but Im priveleged to have known decent football played on our hallowed turf

Having said all that - I do want us to get as high as possible.  The likes of Fulham show its possible for a small club to still make it even now - another trip to Europe would be amazing especially in the days of having a full ground.  So ultimately I would love us to get success in the prem - but for now I''ll be happy with success in the Championship

[/quote]Excellent post [Y]Although god knows what you see in Scottish Football?  Now that is predictable!  Wouldn''t it be nice to see Dundee Utd, Aberdeen or Hearts really challenge the Old Firm again like they did in the eighties???

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]Are you going to enjoy watching us if Simeon Jackson turns out to be the new Ian Wright and him and Chris Martin bang them in for fun in the Premiership next season Nana?Unlikely maybe, but not impossible?I believe that you can build a squad of players from mainly the lower leagues and mould them in to a useful Premiership Squad if you know what you are doing.  It is bonkers to think that any club can''t possibly win the highest honours in the English game any more.  Who would''ve said Man City had a chance a few years ago?  All the pundits seem to think that they are going places now though don''t they?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

Are you going to enjoy watching us if Simeon Jackson turns out to be the new Ian Wright and him and Chris Martin bang them in for fun in the Premiership next season Nana?

Unlikely maybe, but not impossible?

I believe that you can build a squad of players from mainly the lower leagues and mould them in to a useful Premiership Squad if you know what you are doing.  It is bonkers to think that any club can''t possibly win the highest honours in the English game any more.  Who would''ve said Man City had a chance a few years ago?  All the pundits seem to think that they are going places now though don''t they?

[/quote]

but they have MONEY and without that you cant do very well in football now a days.

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]Are you going to enjoy watching us if Simeon Jackson turns out to be the new Ian Wright and him and Chris Martin bang them in for fun in the Premiership next season Nana?Unlikely maybe, but not impossible?I believe that you can build a squad of players from mainly the lower leagues and mould them in to a useful Premiership Squad if you know what you are doing.  It is bonkers to think that any club can''t possibly win the highest honours in the English game any more.  Who would''ve said Man City had a chance a few years ago?  All the pundits seem to think that they are going places now though don''t they?[/quote]

but they have MONEY and without that you cant do very well in football now a days.

[/quote]They didn''t have much money initially though did they?They got promoted, stayed up, built on it and then finally achieved a very wealthy backer.The game hasn''t really changed that much.  Money has always brought success (or at least given you a better chance of achieving it).  I used Nottingham Forest as an example above.  A small town provincial club managed by the brilliant Cloughie.  But let us not forget that they also SPENT BIG too... Trevor Francis the first £1 million transfer!I can agree with some of the points you make in this thread Nana, but I just think that people go a little overboard with the "it''s impossible to achieve in the Premiership attitude these days."  It has always been extremely difficult to achieve at the highest level while anybody under the age of 50 has been watching football I would suggestl?  That is why it is the highest level...it is the ''Champions of England'' the birthplace of the game.  It isn''t ever going to come easy in the highest division.  Look at the number of clubs that have actually won the Championship (23 I think it is in total - with at least half of them probably dating pre war).The Premiership started 18 years ago...The clubs that have won the Premiership between 92/93 and 2010... Chelsea (3), Man Utd (11), Arsenal (3), Blackburn (1).The Clubs who won the Old First Division between 74/75 and 91/92... Leeds (1), Liverpool (10), Arsenal (2), Everton (2), Aston Villa (1), Nottingham Forest (1), Derby County (1).Now I wouldn''t say there was all that much difference between those two 18 year periods.  You have to go back as far as 1955/56 to 1973/74 to see a bigger change and a more evenly distributed list of honours... Leeds (2), Liverpool (3), Derby County (1), Arsenal (1), Everton (2), Man City (1), Man Utd (4), Ipswich (1), Tottenham (1), Burnley (1), Wolves (1).  Even then it is no surprise to see Man Utd and Liverpool leading the way once more.

To get a wealthy backer you have to be doing well in the premiership. If we were to get promoted we would have to survive 3/4 seasons avoiding relegation (which would be boring)and then and only then start to aim for a mid table finish (10-15th)and whilst that is happening the top teams, utd, chelsea, liverpool etc are still going to be imporving and it will be even tougher to reach the top. Lets see what all 3 of the newly promoted teams can achieve. Newcastle have the best chance with mike ashley and his money, but I cant see 2 of them surviving. The year after the 3rd would then go down. The best way to attack the prem is to go up, get the payments(get relegated the year after) and then build a team to win the champ and spend big, and then you would have a chance of long term in the prem.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]The championship is, in my opinion, the best league as it is totally unpredictable and the best team on the game wins. The prem is split into 3/4 mini leagues so makes it less exciting. But if we were to get promoted all we would do each year is to try and avoid relegation and where is the fun in that, losing on most weeks(un supportive but most likely true). I think the best for norwich over the next few years is to be pushing for the playoffs where it will be exciting all year unlike what the prem would be like![/quote]

At what point do you actually get split?

[quote user="I am a Banana"]To get a wealthy backer you have to be doing well in the premiership. If we were to get promoted we would have to survive 3/4 seasons avoiding relegation (which would be boring)and then and only then start to aim for a mid table finish (10-15th)and whilst that is happening the top teams, utd, chelsea, liverpool etc are still going to be imporving and it will be even tougher to reach the top. Lets see what all 3 of the newly promoted teams can achieve. Newcastle have the best chance with mike ashley and his money, but I cant see 2 of them surviving. The year after the 3rd would then go down. The best way to attack the prem is to go up, get the payments(get relegated the year after) and then build a team to win the champ and spend big, and then you would have a chance of long term in the prem.[/quote]Ipswich qualified for Europe the first season the last time they went up didn''t they?  What is to say that any team can''t do the same?Ipswich were then relegated the following season when they spent a lot of money on foreign duds like Finidi George and that useless Italian keeper!I think the promoted teams that do well in the Premiership have no fear of it and have realistic ambitions of finishing in the top half in their first season and maybe sneaking in to Europe if they are lucky.  Everybody has Blackpool totally written off but I think they might just surprise a few people.  Anybody know what their price is to stay up???

Smudger, with all these stats backing up your argument you are turning into our friend Nutty Nigel! You must be spending too much time on the Taddy in the Bayer!

[quote user="leedscanary"]Smudger, with all these stats backing up your argument you are turning into our friend Nutty Nigel! You must be spending too much time on the Taddy in the Bayer!
[/quote]

[y] Maybe smudger has got onto nuttys pc which contains these stats [:P]

I''m not sure your stats do prove your point, Smudge. In the last 18 years only four clubs have won the Premiership, two established big guns in Arsenal and Man U and two arrivistes with sugar daddies (Chelsea and Blackburn).

In the second of your eighteen-year spreads, almost twice as many different teams (seven) won the league, three of which did so through brilliant management rather than pots of cash. Surely you would admit that there is no chance of clubs of the stature of Villa, Forest or Derby winning the Premier League these days without a Russian or Saudi crook taking them over.

What your stats suggest is that has become harder and harder for smaller clubs to compete at the top, and that the Premier League has exacerbated that general trend.

To answer the question, I have mixed feelings. Of course I want us to do well this season (my ideal would be going to Wembley in the play-off final) but if we were to be promoted I would not be all that excited about the Premier League. Too many of the games would be uncompetitive and we would be forced to choose between retaining the team that got us promoted and being humiliatingly relegated (the Burnley model), or paying over the odds for mercenaries who care nothing for the club (and still probably being humiliatingly relegated - the Hull model) Do you think Helveg and Jonson even remember playing for City?

I guess it''s just a frustration that football in this country should be so much better than it is.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]To answer the question, I have mixed feelings. Of course I want us to do well this season (my ideal would be going to Wembley in the play-off final) but if we were to be promoted I would not be all that excited about the Premier League. Too many of the games would be uncompetitive and we would be forced to choose between retaining the team that got us promoted and being humiliatingly relegated (the Burnley model), or paying over the odds for mercenaries who care nothing for the club (and still probably being humiliatingly relegated - the Hull model) Do you think Helveg and Jonson even remember playing for City? I guess it''s just a frustration that football in this country should be so much better than it is.[/quote]

and the list could go on. Helveg played for Milan, to him norwich are just a season out i suppose.

I do believe that the squad we have now really want to play for the club and this is what is needed to be successful in the prem. Although I think we would still get battered.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]The championship is, in my opinion, the best league as it is totally unpredictable and the best team on the game wins. The prem is split into 3/4 mini leagues so makes it less exciting. But if we were to get promoted all we would do each year is to try and avoid relegation and where is the fun in that, losing on most weeks(un supportive but most likely true). I think the best for norwich over the next few years is to be pushing for the playoffs where it will be exciting all year unlike what the prem would be like![/quote]

I assume, you are young and dont remember top 5 finshes under Brown, Stringer and Walker.

Norwich would regularly go to Anfield and Old Trafford and come away with a win.

More money in the game now, but people seem to forget there was money in the gmae back then, its just 3m back then is 30million now, but 3 m was  thought of as obscene amount of money, as 30m is now. Marco Van Bastan cost 4-5 Million I think, and he is the greatest striker i have ever seen, and probably will ever see, {that includes the likes of Rooney etc} yet for 5m now you would be lucky to pick up Emile Heskey.

Do you remember Blackburn, challenging for the title year in and out? Man City in the 3rd Division? Newcastle bottom of the 2nd Division? Fulham bottom of the fourth division? Wigan in the confrence? Oxford and Luton in the top flight?

Its all about ambition. If you are not ambitious you may as well give up. When McNally came in, I have it on good authority, that he looked at the proposal Doncaster left behind, of ''a season of consolodation in League One'' and hit the roof, and demanded an instant promotion. McNallys ambitious, Lamberts ambitious, so should us fans just sit back and settle for the championship? Should we bollox!