Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Loss of the Pinkun Live Text Feed

[quote user="shefcanary"]Looks like us exiles will be relying on the "unoffical" match thread for latest news and for those with Canary Player to regularly update the threads with how players are doing and who scored / got booked / sent-off / substituted as and when.  I can see an "official" match thread as being the replacement model that Archant will work on![/quote]

I can see them banning that too as in essence it''s the same thing.

It really is lunacy.  Not only do they ban the radio transmition over the internet - which is a bl00dy disgrace especially for licence payers.  They then ban the ''live'' text updates, what next ban the discussion of matches in threads as stated above?

Where will it end, they''ll probably try to ban all match updates until an hour or so after the game has finished, unless you subscribe to something.

Haha. I used to do that too City1st. Ring my cousin up in Manchester and play the radio coverage down the phone and hang up at half time so you were within the free hour. Brilliant :D

The official rules are that the Official PA/Data Co feed can be purchased from the powers that be or alternatively the website/local paper can apply updates at 10 minute intervals during the game for free.

It appears that there are two choices for Archant – pay for the feed (I’ve no idea what the cost is) or apply ten minute updates and don’t pay for the feed.

That’s the rules as I understand them. The issue I have with the rules is that most of the feed comes from the fans, although some does come from the EDP reporter at the game. I think it’s unjust but until they are changed or some agreement is reached I presume that Archant will need to work within these rules.

How on earth can it be illegal for the pinkun to just carry out the live update just by listening, and then slightly adjusting what Chris and Neal are saying?  I''d just do it and say sod em but then I can be rather hasty (in a thoughtful treebeard way). 

Strange we''re told about how much we need to tighten out belts and everyone will be effected by the economic disaster. I assume this is one of those political ''everyone'' moments which really means the rich, in this instance the FA get more and those who rely on a service, get less. 

If the FA were a politician....

BBC Radio Norfolk commentary is on available on the official Norwich City website via Canary Player. You can also watch highlights and interviews. It works out at less than

10p per day. It is absolutely superb and worth every penny.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]BBC Radio Norfolk commentary is on available on the official Norwich City website via Canary Player. You can also watch highlights and interviews. It works out at less than

10p per day. It is absolutely superb and worth every penny.[/quote]I pay a licence fee, for BBC services... I very much doubt the cutting of the online feed during games is a BBC decision, this will be a directive from the FA/Football League for the privelege of letting us hear the games on the radio at all.  They''ll say its to protect the live experience, but really its to make sure that they can squeeze every last drop of money out of the fans and businesses who carry the games in any form.

How far does this go ? If I want to have a conversation with other Radio Norfolk listeners online about the commentary, would that be banned ?

Trent Canary - if the Premier League ticker gave each club a nickname that was recognisable to fans e.g. Toffeemen vs Blue Moonies = Everton vs Man City, would that still be a violation ?

Well thats just great, first they bring in licensing laws to stop us in other counties listening to it on local radio and now this? Why? The only people this hurts is us the fans, just another step in disenfranchising the fans from the game.

[quote user="Hyph Mngo"]Surely there is a way around it by somehow using Twitter?[/quote]Twitter''s great but what it''s useful for with regard to matches is already being used - tweets sent updating fans on goalflashes and major incidents. With the live text feed updated with every kick of the match, it just wouldn''t work on there. The beauty of the current system is that it is instant, interactive, allows a lot of people to follow it at one time and requires no refreshing to get the updates.

Sorry if already discussed, and I am not on Twitter (perish the thought!) but...

...how can the "authorities" BAN live text updates from grounds? For goodness sake, how the hell can they justify that?

Its not as if I can''t go along, ring a mate from my mobile and let him know whats going on. Ditto texting them, or people filming, via their mobiles, bits and pieces of the game.

So-called broadcast "rights" don''t come into play there, so how can they for the text update feed, and how, exactly, is something along the lines of "39 Mins, Holt has just won a free kick" and "60 Mins, Goal, Martin, just outside area" infringing, damaging, or, heaven forfend, going to upset local or national broadcasters who, presumably, are "affected" by this?!!

Ridiculous. What next, banning mobiles from games?

Sorry, clearly early morning blindness and pending oblivion, just seen the large and rather obvious thread at the top of the page, I''m bad....

I got so worked up about this, I went and started another thread, oblivious to this one, sailing, like a great yellow and green Zeppelin, at the top of the page...

Its outrageous, and, as many have pointed out, another hefty blow to the few remaining nails that have to be rammed home in the games coffin. Bleeding the game dry and the fans dry, anyone and everyone. Quite how the text service affects anyone in broadcasting or at the FA, Football League etc, I have no idea, its crazy, selfish and driven by greed.

Again, the fixtures. Someone has mentioned how the fixtures are copyrighted and that you need a licence (presumably accompanied by a large fee?) to write your clubs fixture list anywhere. I would really like someone to brazen that out, do it, and get taken to court, so whoever made up that ruling can show how listing games of football is protected and subject to copyright? They couldn''t!!

The crap we are continuosly fed now is that this, that, and the other are done for the love and protection of the game. The joke now is not that no-one believe it, but that those that impose those rules seriously think that we, the fans, still believe them when they say it!

Work a way round it Pete and Co, and make as much noise as you can.

this is a disgrace, but then again, money is more important than the fans!.I do have an idea around this though..........Anyone living in norfolk who is interested who can help the exiles?e-mail me at deeppurple1964@gmail.com

Michael, Paddy and SDPFirstly, greetings for a new season ahead and hopefully many hours of pink-un enjoyment - that was until this thread I read, and quite frankly feel very shattered.  We will lose a life giving connection, a football family who share in a common bond. The pleasure you, Paddy, SDP give in rattling the fingertips cannot be measured in money.  Everyone of us, at least in Australia, give up our saturday nights sleep and most of the next day in zombie land to support our team. We Norwich supporters who live overseas still hold

our team in our hearts.
I''ve always felt that, as we cant get to Carrow Road, our strong support is tangible and also provides etherical energy that can transcend distance, something that can''t be measured but is real.  It''s our choice to give our energy to our team, albeit via the Pink-Un.  To curtail that is discrimination.  My thought of a solution was a version of the 1960''s pirate ship.  Park a crane and cradle in the road outside, extend it up substantially fixing the telephone cables and Pink-Un from there!!!!!!.Lots of support from us all.Steve from Oz

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Trent Canary - if the Premier League ticker gave each club a nickname that was recognisable to fans e.g. Toffeemen vs Blue Moonies = Everton vs Man City, would that still be a violation ?[/quote]Think someone suggested it and they said it wouldnt be allowed, theres been a few fan-run websites that have shut down as a result of this.Bit more info here - http://www.freethefixtures.com/index.php

This is outrageous and greedy etc., but what did you all do before we had the Live Text feed? IIRC it was only put in last season - correct?Also, signing up to Canaries World is very reasonable and provides funds for Delia''s Canary Catering - er sorry, the club (only joking.)

I am saddened by this as the live text feed was great. But like others have said Canaries World is a fantastic way to keep in touch with what is going on. I have spent the last three years at university so getting to games is often difficult during term time. But at least with Canaries World you get highlights, interviews and of course the match commentary. This includes statistics, text feed as well as the latest scores from elsewhere. You can also listen to commentary on any Premier League, football league or conference game as part of the service. It costs about £4 a month and remember you can unsubscribe during the off season. The worst case scenario is that it costs around £40 or so a year. If people get massive enjoyment keeping in touch with their team then surely it is worth the money.

---It would need a really expert opinion from a media lawyer, but on the

face of it there is a clear case here for this to be challenged in court

by the two main groups representing newspapers in this country, at the

very least on the grounds of this being an unjustified limitation on

the freedom to publish AND on the public''s right to comment.

Especially so if, as Michael Bailey seems to be saying, this hadn''t

actually been forbidden by any agreement with the football authorities

(because they didn''t see it coming) and so this ban has been dreamt up

to try to shut the stable door.

This is gutting news. Many a fond saturdays I spent this season waiting for the dreaded unformatted G o A L !11!!!. Was brilliant, and probably the best text service seen (better than bbc''s anyway). But I guess the FA just enjoys peeing all over league football, and any lower football in general. How can we expect children to support local teams when they continually seem to stop them from doing such?And just to add, Trent that ticker was genius. I just used to go on their just to see a nicely formatted fixture list. I had tried loads of places trying to find somewhere that covers the next 5/10 fixtures in plain simple english to futility. Just goes to show, they will get you even if it costs their customers.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]The funny thing is that I''m actually moving back to Norwich in 6 days, and so this will be less of an issue for me this coming season, but as Radio Snorefolk is also cut-off before a game I came to rely upon this service last year and really enjoyed using it.  My missus used to find it odd enough that I''d leap up cheering whilst watching Soccer Saturday - she came to think I was a complete and utter loony for doing the same when seeing the words GOAL CITY appear on a little box on my laptop!Thank you Michael and Pete for clarifying the situation, as I''d only seen snippets on your Twitter feeds, and I''m sure we''re in good hands with your good selves trying to sort it for us.

[/quote]You''re gonna beat me by a week EM!

This as my American mates over here would say "just sucks balls". I tried Canary world when i first came over here an really could not get along with it (the wife wants music or the tv on at that time of the day, she''s a Gooner what do you expect) so the live text was a win win situation for me, I could fade out her noise (music,tv and voice) and interact with fans.

This is a sad loss for the exiles.

On a lighter note still looking forward to this season.

OTBC

Dear PUPs

i will be having my own text service, all you do is "donate" 10 pounds as month to my paypall and ill text you each match day, the team. goal alerts and full time ratings.. anyone interested [;)]

Has anyone in here heard of "google wave" ?  it''s effectively a group conversation that people can be invited to.  If there was a kind radio norfolk listener who was willing to set a wave up, and invite people into it to "discuss" the match, I can''t see what anyone could do about it.Just google "wave", it should be the first option on the search results.

[quote user="stevieste"]

This as my American mates over here would say "just sucks balls". I tried Canary world when i first came over here an really could not get along with it (the wife wants music or the tv on at that time of the day, she''s a Gooner what do you expect) so the live text was a win win situation for me, I could fade out her noise (music,tv and voice) and interact with fans.

This is a sad loss for the exiles.

On a lighter note still looking forward to this season.

OTBC

[/quote]Why not just use a pair of headphones plugged into your compter and use Canary Player? Canary Player is better than it used to be.

We have another option that we''ll be trialling for the two home friendlies. More to follow when we have it....