Sign in to follow this  
Barclay hero

Club decisions - back the board or sack the board??

Over the time that you''ve followed Norwich City what would you say were the best decisions - either in transfers, appointments, etc - and what were the worst?

For me the best was probably getting Huckerby Crouch & Harper in on loan - it gave the club a push at the right time - although the signing of Mark Robins helped push us into Europe too

Worst ''bad times'' - the board not backing Martin O Neill in signing Dean Windass - the player himself may or may not have been a hit but failure to sign him meant O Neill walked and probably ultimately cost Chase his position. As a ''wild card'' second, the day we got rid of Dave Phillips - the club lost a bit of its flair and ability that day in my opinion and we were never the same again

I think you should say that Chase did not back Martin O''Neill.The board was made up of his nodding dogs Jimmy Jones,Barry Lockwood and Gavin Patterson who had absolutely no say whatsoever in how the Club was run.Those were the days when AGMs were held at midday and lasted about ten minutes.

In a strange sort of way I have to disagree with about Mark Robins. There is no doubt his signing by Walker was a masterstroke and his goals helped propel us into third place. However one must bare in mind that Robert Chase sold Fleck for around £2 million in the close season.. So Robins at £800k was a cut price replacement. The problem with this was that it was very much the rule rather than the exception regarding Norwich''s transfer dealings at this time. Chase had an unrealistic view of football finance because managers like Ken Brown kept unearthing replacements like Bryan Gunn, Mark Bowen, Ian Crook and Ian Culverhouse extremely cheaply to replace players who had been sold for big money. However as Chase went on to discover this can''t go on indefinitely and eventually your luck runs out.

Fair enough point Tilly - I was trying to talk in general terms and Chase''s decisions were ultimately counted as "The Boards" - even though it was because the other members were there to rubberstamp decisions only