Sign in to follow this  
DOGGER

Re: Askou to leave?

I like Nelson and feel crdit has to be given where credit is due because after a dodgy start he was arguably our most consistent defender last season and did the job he was brought in to do. I also get the impression he is a decent character and unlikely to moan or cause problems in the dressing room.

However, I also agree that he is a player of limited technical ability and with little pace and I also believe he will be badly exposed if he plays too many games in the championship. If he is in our starting line up in August then I will be worried about how the transfer activity has gone this summer.

I think Whitbread and Ward looks potentially a great partnership but admitedly in the case of both players that is based on past glories and the hope that with a full pre-season and their fitness improved they can rediscover that form. Askou I think is adequate back up for either of them. Were he to leave we would need another one in which may explain the Mcarthy link.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Nelson & Whitbread are ''blocker/get it clear'' types; Askou & Elliott also have those qualities but they are also ball-players. That will be vital in the Championship - when did we last have Centre Backs who can find someone in the same colour shirt 10-15 metres ahead of them?[/quote]

Have to disagree with you there..
From what i''ve seen and heard from Millwall fans Whitbred is very much assured on the ball and can comfortably play out from the back.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Nelson & Whitbread are ''blocker/get it clear'' types; Askou & Elliott also have those qualities but they are also ball-players. That will be vital in the Championship - when did we last have Centre Backs who can find someone in the same colour shirt 10-15 metres ahead of them?[/quote]

Sorry have some people been watching the same player as me because I think Whitbread looks like a ball player but last season was lacking a bit of strength whereas Askou is strong in the air but hoofed it a lot and had poor distribution!

Let''s be very clear about Nelson. Perhaps he hasn''t got the best footballing ability of the players we have in the squad but he has one quality in abundance...... Guts. And that is needed in every team to make the mix right. There will be times next season when we will have our backs to the wall and at those times it will be players like Nelson that we will need.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Let''s be very clear about Nelson. Perhaps he hasn''t got the best footballing ability of the players we have in the squad but he has one quality in abundance...... Guts. And that is needed in every team to make the mix right. There will be times next season when we will have our backs to the wall and at those times it will be players like Nelson that we will need.[/quote]And with one eye to boot

With Askou we have enough variety at CB, not something many teams have the luxury of. Ward and Whitbread are definitely ball players with Nelson and Askou more as the grinders. Both of which will be key next season in different scenarios. Any combination of the 4 is good for me.

I was very impressed with Nelson at the back end of last season. He looked superb in the air, few players beat him to a header. We rarely won the first ball in recent years prior to him.

[quote user="the unit"][quote user="Webbo118"]Someone at the Club. How interesting - NOT ![/quote] do I need to state exactly who webbo to please you?? Er no I don''t. It was another player who I know who told me about askou[/quote]

B S! [8-)][|-)]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Until his injury, Askou was the best centre back on the pitch irrespective of who was his partner.

[/quote]

Although Doherty was the better of the 2 during their partnership from September to December.
[/quote]

I don''t want to be argumentative and I respect your different opinion but I disagree.

Until his injury, Askou was the best centre back on the pitch irrespective of who was his partner.  Doc gained a lot of confidence from playing with Askou and that helped Doc reach the standards that he did but he was second best during their period together.

[quote user="Canaryonthe Trent"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Until his injury, Askou was the best centre back on the pitch irrespective of who was his partner.

[/quote]Although Doherty was the better of the 2 during their partnership from September to December.[/quote]

I on the other hand would like to ask 2 things !

1) What are you smoking

2) Can I have some

WTF dude, really......

Askou was head and shoulders the best defender we had at the club and his injury was a real shame !Still think first choice next season would be him and Whitbread if fit.

I would have been the first person to get on Nelson''s back after his disastrous start to the season (when he clearly looked out of his depth) but to be fair to the guy, he must have hit the training ground hard and I think he really started to improve his overall game. Also won player of the month at the end of the season, so he must have been doing something right. He has courage in spades, isn''t afraid to get stuck in and puts his body on the line week in week out. Isn''t that what us English football fans like to see from a centre half? However, I am concerned about a potential Ward/Nelson CB partnership next year as the lack of pace between them is terrifying. On the face of it, it could look promising. An old fashioned blocker/hoofer with a guy who can play a bit. But, I think they''ll get badly exposed. I don''t think Askou is the best defender at the club, but he certainly impressed me at the start of the season and it was a shame he got injured. He''s most definitely the best header of the ball we have, but his distribution needs serious work.What I can''t understand is why everyone is rating Whitbread so highly?? We''ve seen, what, about 2 hours of football from him and I really don''t think that was enough to judge him. He looks comfortable on the ball, but got caught out quite regularly when I saw him play. Yes, he comes with a glowing reputation and a decent pedigree but, as we''ve seen in the past, this isn''t necessarily a reason to think he''ll be any better than any other defender we have at the club.I''m going to trust Lambo and wait until we''re a few weeks into the season before I make up my mind!!

I hope this isn''t true! Askou has been great in defence when he has played. He is solid and good in the air. If he hadn''t of been injured, I honestly think Lambert would have played him week in, week out.

Askou was top draw for me and he did bring a lot to Doc both in confidence and ability. You always noticed how much better Doc was with players who were confident and strong. I think Askou will do well for us in the Chump next year and like him as a player.

Although I have reservations with Nelson, people are right, he does have guts galore, the bit where he threw his head into a tackle, that just showed who the man was. He will be useful against the big burly strikers and I think he does deserve a chance in the Chump, if not good enoughm he can be shipped out, but he can only get better playing against better players and having the competition from Askou, Spillane, Zak and Ward.

Now not included in the German training camp!!

The person who told me this has said that he has been told he can find another club along with OTJ & Gilly!! but it won''t be announced publicly at the moment until Lambert has finished in the transfer market.

Shame really if true.

I would be sad to see him go, was excellent before his injury and I dread seeing Nelson up against quality opposition next season!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Sorry have some people been watching the same player as me because I think Whitbread looks like a ball player but last season was lacking a bit of strength whereas Askou is strong in the air but hoofed it a lot and had poor distribution!

[/quote]

Its a bit bizarre stating that a defenders style is to hoof it?!!!

I think all defenders do both, but good if not great defenders know when to pass or when to hoof. Sometimes you don''t want your centre back trying to pass it out from the back and a good hoof releases space for the players to get back into shape for. At other times when intercepting a through ball you want him to pick a pass and allow the team to try and take advantage of oppo players being out of position, on the back foot.

In the games I saw Askou he made the right choice most of the time. He sure as hell didn''t man-handle people to the floor in true Doc''s chair style fashion.

As for Nelson - he is an old fashioned stopper. In many ways he reminds me of old Malky in that he was great in the air and at intercepting through balls and basically being damned difficult to get past but his distribution and pace are pretty limited. But then that''s why Fleming was there, he picked up the pieces, got the ball off Malky and was the one who played it out from the back - probably will go down as one of our biggest unsung heroes.

Askou for me is a bit of a mix, he can do both. But real plus points are that he can head a ball further than some players can kick one, and the man can tackle!

It''s racist! Getting rid of the foreigner, just because he kills whales, likes bacon and windfarms.

Maybe Lambo has his eye on bringing in someone else to partner whitbread? How about taking a chance on Davenport?

[quote user="scrapy33"]Maybe Lambo has his eye on bringing in someone else to partner whitbread? How about taking a chance on Davenport?[/quote]

He was certainly a cut above the rest when he was here. Bit of stab in dark though regarding his fitness. 

I thought he was pretty decent before getting his injury. Players are much faster in the championship though and Lambert knows best so whatever happens I''m sure we will be fine.

We were at our best with Askou at the back. Nelson is nowhere near as good, and Whitbread has hardly been convincing.