Sign in to follow this  
DOGGER

Re: Askou to leave?

[quote user="morty"]If Stephens is to stay with us this season then we do look a bit top heavy in the CB department.
[/quote]

I think Stephens is held in high regard with Lambert, don''t think he would be sold. One for the future.

Didnt Askou perform well before his injury? Wouldnt he compete for a place in the starting eleven?

[quote user="Calle"]Didnt Askou perform well before his injury? Wouldnt he compete for a place in the starting eleven?[/quote]

He did, and I would''ve thought so. You really need 4 strong CBs in a squad competing, so that''s Whitbread, Ward, Askou and Nelson with Stephens out on loan.

I like Askou, but he can be pretty limited.

If we managed to bring in a Matt Taylor type player, and we got a decent offer for Askou (I can see several League One clubs being interested), it should definitely be considered in my opinion.

I still think the most limited CB we have is Nelson.  I would give him 2 games in the Championship before his weakenesses are easily exposed, and cost us points.  Quite prepared to stand by this if I''m wrong, I hope I''m not but I don''t think I am.

[quote user="65Vintage"]I still think the most limited CB we have is Nelson.  I would give him 2 games in the Championship before his weakenesses are easily exposed, and cost us points.  Quite prepared to stand by this if I''m wrong, I hope I''m not but I don''t think I am.[/quote]

I don''t think you are 65, Nelson is not good enough for the Championship and I''m hoping it''s 2 from ward, whitbread and askou, although I hope Lambo brings in another cb as I wasn''t overly impressed with Whitbread. Big fan of Askou last season before he got injured so I hope he stays.

Same as Barclayman. Really like Askou and think he is really underrated by the majority of fans. Really hope he stays.

I don''t think I expect him to leave but at the same time I wouldn''t be surprised if he did.

He did do well for us last season but Doherty and Nelson both did better.

And now from his point of view he might be looking at it thinking that both Whitbread and Ward are Lambert signings, suggesting he intends to play them. Nelson is quite likely ahead of him now in the managers thinking after his strong performances from Christmas onwards. And if we were to now sign another centreback (like McCarthy) you''d have to fancy that Jens would be the first out of the door.

Thought Askou was excellent for us before his foot injury. Would be sad to him leave. I think Lambert can be pleased with the centre back options he has now.

Why is everyone bumming Nelson all of a sudden? He is quite clearly Doc mk2 (but the sh1tter second edition obviously). No way is he a Championship defender. I would put money on him being run ragged next season if played.

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]Why is everyone bumming Nelson all of a sudden? He is quite clearly Doc mk2 (but the sh1tter second edition obviously). No way is he a Championship defender. I would put money on him being run ragged next season if played.[/quote]

Well the large majority of his Norwich performances have been very good, so why wouldn''t people think well of him?

As players Askou and Nelson have more in common than Doc and Nelson.

I would say it has been more of a 50/50 split in regards to Nelsons performances, with his better ones coming in the last month or so of the season and football fans have very short memories. Time will tell but I am sure that Nelson will be exposed for what he is if given the chance in the Championship - an average league 1 hoof ball defender.

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]I would say it has been more of a 50/50 split in regards to Nelsons performances, with his better ones coming in the last month or so of the season and football fans have very short memories. Time will tell but I am sure that Nelson will be exposed for what he is if given the chance in the Championship - an average league 1 hoof ball defender.[/quote]

He''s been in the first team since Christmas time and he''s rarely had a bad game in that time. One or two poorer performances, maybe.

The guy has more than earnt the praise he is getting.

I''d go so far to say as I only saw nelson play badly once last season.

NOt bad for a limited defender I think we''ll all agree.

Although I believe when fit whitbread will be first choice defender in terms of championship experience he is as limited as nelson.

To sum up nelson deserves a chance, lets see if whitbread lives up to his potential and let''s crack on with next season.

so glad we''ve got this sort of debate yet again, but i hope Askou stays, he was immense before his injury and rightfully stood out against a title''winning defence. i hope we keep it how it is now at CB, as i think we''re sorted.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]so glad we''ve got this sort of debate yet again, but i hope Askou stays, he was immense before his injury and rightfully stood out against a title''winning defence. i hope we keep it how it is now at CB, as i think we''re sorted.
[/quote]

Totally agree.  Until his injury, Askou was the best centre back on the pitch irrespective of who was his partner.

I also agree with other posters though after a dodgy start to his recall and despite living dangerously at times, Nelson had an excellent spell in the final third of the season

[quote user="GJP"]

. And if we were to now sign another centreback (like McCarthy) you''d have to fancy that Jens would be the first out of the door.

[/quote]

Mick McCarthy stopped playing years ago?...

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Until his injury, Askou was the best centre back on the pitch irrespective of who was his partner.

[/quote]Although Doherty was the better of the 2 during their partnership from September to December.

[quote user="the unit"][quote user="Webbo118"]Someone at the Club. How interesting - NOT ![/quote] do I need to state exactly who webbo to please you?? Er no I don''t. It was another player who I know who told me about askou[/quote]

Er yeah. Of course it was.

Does anyone think Nelson''s rise to form coincided with opposition players tiredness?
That extra little yard the striker has lost after a long hard season and Nelson could cope with that.
But earlier in the season when it was a fully fresh striker he didn''t have a prayer.

Nelson & Whitbread are ''blocker/get it clear'' types; Askou & Elliott also have those qualities but they are also ball-players. That will be vital in the Championship - when did we last have Centre Backs who can find someone in the same colour shirt 10-15 metres ahead of them?