Sign in to follow this  
Hog

Ist choice strikeforce?

With Simeon Jackson signing for a reported £600k rising to 1 Million presumably if we get promoted and goals etc, I can''t see hm being a super sub. Bit harsh on the striker who has to give way......

Holt and Jackson with Chris Martin on bench........?  Or do you think PL will go with the squad rotation policy?

I think Jackson has to earn his place after the 2 strikers performances last season.

Should be great competition between those 3 in particular though.

I would imagine Jackson will start on the bench for the Watford game but will probably play against his old club in the cup game, after that whoever is in form will be the one who gets to start which is a good position for us to be in.

Horse          Jackson

Hoola

Surman                    Smith

Crofts

Smith     Nelson   Ward  Martin

Ruddy

A bit unfair on Martin especially considering his form last year but I would play this team. Still not happy with the right back slot but if its good enough for Lambo then its good enough for me.[Y]

[quote user="ucl-canary"]

I think Jackson has to earn his place after the 2 strikers performances last season.

Should be great competition between those 3 in particular though.

[/quote]

I think last season should be put to one side by the time the season starts. Yes, I think it should be Martin''s at the moment, but if Jackson looks better in training, and he does better in the pre-season games, then it''s him that should start against Watford.

Another option is that Martin plays wuite well in the Hoolahan role at the tip of the diamond so could play there if need be. I assume Hoolahan will be first choice there but if he is out of form or injured could see us dropping Martin back into that role with Jackson and Holt up front.

In response the the OP, my prediction is that if Martin continues to improve at the rate he has done over the last 18 months, and in particular builds on the physical side of his game, by the end of the season our first choice strike partnership will be Jackson and Martin.

I can''t see Jackson starting the season no matter his price. However, the first game it looks like Martin isn''t pulling his weight or is out of form...

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Another option is that Martin plays wuite well in the Hoolahan role at the tip of the diamond so could play there if need be. I assume Hoolahan will be first choice there but if he is out of form or injured could see us dropping Martin back into that role with Jackson and Holt up front.

[/quote]

When has Martin ever played there?

He was out on the wing a few time last year and did ok, but never at the tip of the diamond as far as i remember.

I would have thought Fox or perhaps Surman would be more likely backup to Hoolahan.

[quote user="ucl-canary"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

When has Martin ever played there?

He was out on the wing a few time last year and did ok, but never at the tip of the diamond as far as i remember.

I would have thought Fox or perhaps Surman would be more likely backup to Hoolahan.

[/quote]

martin has played in that role quite a few times, you obviously don''t go to the games!

[quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]In response the the OP, my prediction is that if Martin continues to improve at the rate he has done over the last 18 months, and in particular builds on the physical side of his game, by the end of the season our first choice strike partnership will be Jackson and Martin.[/quote]

I was going to post exactly the same thing.

Well i went to every home game, and 19 away games last season! I cannot remember Hoolahan being out and us playing Martin at the tip of the diamond with Holt and another striker upfront?

well i and im sure many other fans can, he played in that role many times when hoolahan went off!

I think your confused, he may have played behind Holt but that isn''t the same as playing on the tip of the diamond.

[quote user="ucl-canary"]Well i went to every home game, and 19 away games last season! I cannot remember Hoolahan being out and us playing Martin at the tip of the diamond with Holt and another striker upfront?[/quote]

On a number of occaisions, Hoolahan was substituted, Johnson or Cody came on and Martin dropped back to the tip of the diamond.  His ball skills, passing ability and general physicality made him well suited to that role

[quote user="ucl-canary"]Well i went to every home game, and 19 away games last season! I cannot remember Hoolahan being out and us playing Martin at the tip of the diamond with Holt and another striker upfront?[/quote]

On a number of occaisions, Hoolahan was substituted, Johnson or Cody came on and Martin dropped back to the tip of the diamond.  His ball skills, passing ability and general physicality made him well suited to that role

Jackson will have to earn his place or wait for an injury, let''s not forget that Chrissy scored more goals than Jackson last season (albeit in a far superior side). The exciting thing is that we now have real quality on the bench and can take off Holt or Martin and bring on a very quick, very talented, young, hungry striker for whom this is a massive career move. I would argue we now have the perfectly balanced strike force with the physicality and work rate of Holt (plus his good touch for a big man), the finesse of Martin and the pace of Jackson, if all three live up to the potential they displayed last season we could be on to a very very good thing; trying not to get over excited considering last seasons debacle but I just cannot wait for the 6th of August.

[quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"]Jackson will have to earn his place or wait for an injury, let''s not forget that Chrissy scored more goals than Jackson last season (albeit in a far superior side). The exciting thing is that we now have real quality on the bench and can take off Holt or Martin and bring on a very quick, very talented, young, hungry striker for whom this is a massive career move. I would argue we now have the perfectly balanced strike force with the physicality and work rate of Holt (plus his good touch for a big man), the finesse of Martin and the pace of Jackson, if all three live up to the potential they displayed last season we could be on to a very very good thing; trying not to get over excited considering last seasons debacle but I just cannot wait for the 6th of August.[/quote]

Hah, last season we won the league at a canter and got promoted back at the first attempt [:D] I know what you mean (opening game?) but this did make me chuckle [:)]   

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]Never thought he looked that good at the tip of the diamond and the lack of goals scored while in that position shows we''d be better going with someone like Surman if Hoolahans not playing but we''re still using the diamond. Martin doesnt have the trickery and (not to go on about him being lazy because he isnt) he didnt show the same work rate in the role that Hoolahan did.

Macdougall''s Perm:

I know, how depressing was the whole sorry saga? scraping past teams by scoring goals in the last ten minutes, playing ugly football, losing on the last day of the season, I can''t believe some of the dross I had to sit/stand through! Dreadful!!!!

On a serious note, I''m very excited by the prospect of the new season and believe  Lambert is building something very special with our team, however the Championship is a big step up, there are no easy games where we can say we should be beating this or that team, every game will be the equivalent of a Leeds or Millwall or Swindon from last season where we have no idea how the match will turn out. The scary thing is that we could easily be promotion contenders with the squad we have, but at the same time it''s just as likely we could be fighting against relegation, nothing is certain and therefore I don''t want to get too ahead of myself and let the good feeling from winning the league last season turn me into a wide eyed optimist, we could be in for a massive shock. Having said that, what excites me is that we have a young, hungry squad, full of players we own and a young hungry manager eager to make a name for himself in the big leagues, in contrast to a lot of championship sides who have been stuck in the doldrums for years relying on journeymen, premier league rejects and loanees. Hopefully these factors plus our momentum from last season will allow us to make a real go of things and try and go one better than Leicester did last season, however I won''t be hugely surprised if it turns into a bit of a relegation dogfight.

I think Holt and Martin should start up front as they have both earned thier places. I think this should also apply to Adam Drury; I see many people putting Smith ahead of Drury in the team they hope/expect to start against Watford, despite Drury being a good Championship proven player and with the majority of us never having seen Smith play a game.

[quote user="canary_girl"]

I think Holt and Martin should start up front as they have both earned thier places. I think this should also apply to Adam Drury; I see many people putting Smith ahead of Drury in the team they hope/expect to start against Watford, despite Drury being a good Championship proven player and with the majority of us never having seen Smith play a game.

[/quote]

Shouldn''t all places in the side be up for grabs between now and the start of the season? I don''t think anyone should have a right to start based on last season. That was then, this is now.

[quote user="Ooh Ahh Lee Power"]Ruddy Martin Nelson Ward Smith K.Smith Fox Surman Hoolahan Jackson Holt[/quote]

Ruddy

Nelson Whitbread Ward Drury

Crofts

Smith Surman

Hoolahan

Holt Martin

Subs: Rudd, Nelson, Smith, Johnson, Fox, Jackson

[quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"][quote user="canary_girl"]

[/quote]

Shouldn''t all places in the side be up for grabs between now and the start of the season? I don''t think anyone should have a right to start based on last season. That was then, this is now.

[/quote]

Of course, if either Holt, Martin or Drury have a terrible pre season then I would expect Lambert to take this into account if Jackson or Smith is playing better than them. However, I believe a few games against teams in lower leagues and then two games against Premiership opposition is not going to wreck established players chances of getting into the team, its more for fitness and getting the team to gel; just my opinion 

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="Ooh Ahh Lee Power"]Ruddy Martin Nelson Ward Smith K.Smith Fox Surman Hoolahan Jackson Holt[/quote]

Ruddy

Nelson Whitbread Ward Drury

Crofts

Smith Surman

Hoolahan

Holt Martin

Subs: Rudd, Nelson, Smith, Johnson, Fox, Jackson

[/quote]

Have we cloned the Admiral, Jim?

I would be surprised if Fox doesn''t start, and I have a feeling we might see more 4-3-1-2 than the diamond this season.