Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Centre back partnership for next season?

We have a choice from:Michael NelsonZak WhitbreadElliot WardJens Berthel Askou+ Francomb I guess?I think it will most certainly be Ward, with either Nelson or Whitbread. Which one, I don''t really mind. I''ll go with Ward/Nelson partnership. Who would you choose?

Very tight between Whitbread & Nelson. I think Nelson deserves to at least start there after last season, I don''t think he''ll be as bad as some people are predicting. I also have a feeling we''ll sign another CB, quite possibly on a season loan.

If Nelson plays like he did in the 2nd half of the season he''ll be good enough for the Championship and his commitment to the cause was great to watch.

Ward has been signed to replace last seasons best centreback the Doc!

Whitbread has done nothing yet on the pitch although hes been praised up as though hes going to be amazing by everyone bar myself it seems!

Askou done well up until his injury, then when he came back the odd time we looked weaker with him in it!

Francomb seemed small and a bit fragile at rightback when he played (understandable given his age and experience. Just put that in before I get slagged for slagging an academy player!) so it doesn''t bode well for him at CB at this time.

Considering the above points its got to be Ward and Nelson! 

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Whitbread has done nothing yet on the pitch although hes been praised up as though hes going to be amazing by everyone bar myself it seems!

[/quote]

It''s funny how almost everyone seems to say that these days.

I would like to see Ward and Whitbread as our long term centre back pairing. But like others have said Nelson did play extremely well at the end of last season and deserves his chance if he plays well during pre season. I don''t know why Askou has been left out of the squad to go to Germany though. I thought he was very good during the first half of the season before he broke his foot.

If Whitbread can stay healthy (and that is a BIG if) he will be our top CB hands down.  He will probably partner with Ward which leaves Nelson to come in to spell either should they need a breather.

Ward and Whitbread are Lambert''s players and the partnership he will go with in my view. Great though Nelson was over the second half of last season I don''t see Lambert as a big one for sentimentalism (but then again neither are Championship standard strikers) so he will opt for the pairing he believes in most.

[quote user="Hyph Mngo"]Anyone who thinks it will be anything other than Ward and Whitbread is deluded.[/quote]But he played like 4 games last season? He has not showed me yet why he is worthy of a first team postion, Nelson has.

Haha, well if he hasn''t shown YOU that his is worthy, has Ward not either?

Im guessing you would like Askou and Nelson

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Hyph Mngo"]Anyone who thinks it will be anything other than Ward and Whitbread is deluded.[/quote]But he played like 4 games last season? He has not showed me yet why he is worthy of a first team postion, Nelson has. [/quote]Yeah Whitbread is in know way in the team yet, he will probably get injured again before the first game anyway, he is a good footballer, i almost think he should be a midfielder rather than a defender, as from what i saw, he didn''t look quite as good defending as he did on the ball....

I''d be surprised if Nelson doesn''t start. A lot of people can talk about Whitbread being better, but he''s yet to show it. He may take the position in the long run, but Nelson has shown nothing to say he should be dropped.

[quote user="ucl-canary"]

Haha, well if he hasn''t shown YOU that his is worthy, has Ward not either?

Im guessing you would like Askou and Nelson

[/quote]Actually no, I have seen Ward play in the Championship before, and has really impressed me. Whitbread hasn''t. Nelson played alot of games last season, and was superb. Whitbread played barely any games, and wasn''t exactly great in my opinion, so that is why I think Nelson deserves to start.UCL - if you cared to read the thread, you might realise who I would like. What''s up with you today, dishing it out like you own the place? [^o)] Step down please....

Nelson is to slow, Askou did not even go to Germany - so its blindingly obvious that bar an arrival, its Ward and Whitbread.

[quote user="Dan Druff"]I''d give Nelson and Askou a whirl.[/quote]Not Ward? [:|]I actually really liked Askou, thought he was a beast! But apparantly Lambert doesn''t think so. [:(]