Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

Strikers

If as reported Cody is going to Gillingham on Loan this season even with Jackson we are one striker down on last season.

Last Season

Holt , Martin , Olly , Cody , Curo/Elliot

This Season

Holt , Martin , Jackson , Olly

Does this mean Dawkin will get his chance ?

Forgot about him but what does that tell you.

I am really concerned that Holt is the only Target man we have at the club, when he didn''t play last season we were often short of Ideas going forward, I suppose we could always sling Nelson up front if we get desperate.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Forgot about him but what does that tell you.

I am really concerned that Holt is the only Target man we have at the club, when he didn''t play last season we were often short of Ideas going forward, I suppose we could always sling Nelson up front if we get desperate.[/quote]I agree and am concerned that we only have one hold the ball up option, Martin can only do it from chest down.I would rather have Nelson up front than in our defence. He''s going to get found out at this level, I hope Whitbread hurries up and gets back to full fitness and form, he was woeful against Dereham but Nelson just ISn''t an option in this league on the ground.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Forgot about him but what does that tell you.

I am really concerned that Holt is the only Target man we have at the club, when he didn''t play last season we were often short of Ideas going forward, I suppose we could always sling Nelson up front if we get desperate.[/quote]Or perhaps instead of playing with a target man we could pay slick, sexy football with pacy, agile strikers?Just a thought.[:)]

I don''t see a problem to be honest, with who we have I can see us scoring lots of goals. Would be nice if Whitbread played to his potential cos I think he should be picked over Nelson.

Why do you need 7 strikers in your squad? To warm the bench? I don''t think there is any problem and it would not be bad to have a young guy as a substitute in some games.

I agree I''d be much happier if it were Daley on loan to Gillingham.

I dont think we need 7 Strikers but I think we need 5 and Daley and Dawkin have little first team experience

I hope it is Cody on loan; he needs a season playing regularly and I think could do a lot worse than playing for Gillingham in league two. It helped Martin, I think it will help him.

I think it would certainly help him , but might leave us short, although we may be able to have a return clause if we have injuries

I think a ''Holty type'' striker with Championship experience will be signed or obtained on loan before the season starts. No inside information I stress, just an opinion.

A Marlon Harewood type would be just the job. Whether we do or not, Lambo and the board must be congratulated on their signings to date.

I do enjoy Lambert and McNasty''s little quotes when we are after a player eg ''we are interested but we haven''t got much money''.

They refuse to be ripped off and i can recall a similar stand off prior to McNamee coming on board. Marvellous!!

Sorry should have introduced myself. Newbie on forum been reading it for a year or so, City fan all my life, unfortunately only get to a handfull of games each season due to work, but listen to almost every game on radio. Used to be a regular at Carrow Rd in the eighties, looking forward to City at least getting to playoffs, although would rather we didn,t go straight up if we aren''t strong enough to stay there. Working in Egypt at the moment, had time on my hands so joined forum. Sorry if this is slightly of subject!

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I think a ''Holty type'' striker with Championship experience will be signed or obtained on loan before the season starts. No inside information I stress, just an opinion. A Marlon Harewood type would be just the job. Whether we do or not, Lambo and the board must be congratulated on their signings to date. I do enjoy Lambert and McNasty''s little quotes when we are after a player eg ''we are interested but we haven''t got much money''. They refuse to be ripped off and i can recall a similar stand off prior to McNamee coming on board. Marvellous!![/quote]

Agreed. Chalk another one up for the Butcher of Colney. It will be interesting how many of the  "we won''t sign anyone because haven''t got any money" merchants will be making an appearance today?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="KeelansGlove"]Forgot about him but what does that tell you. I am really concerned that Holt is the only Target man we have at the club, when he didn''t play last season we were often short of Ideas going forward, I suppose we could always sling Nelson up front if we get desperate.[/quote]

Or perhaps instead of playing with a target man we could pay slick, sexy football with pacy, agile strikers?

Just a thought.

[:)]

[/quote]

Morty,Kathy has asked to post on her behalf as she is most annoyed with you.How dare you suggest that with her man up front (you know who i mean)we do not play slick,sexy football with pace.?

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]I agree I''d be much happier if it were Daley on loan to Gillingham.

I dont think we need 7 Strikers but I think we need 5 and Daley and Dawkin have little first team experience[/quote]

and if we don''t play them, how will they get that experiance?Everyone seems to not want Loan players at Norwich, but expects our young players who don''t stand much chance of being in the first team to go out on loan....maybe other clubs feel the same as us?I think we do need to send Dawkin out on loan, not sure about Daley, he seemed like a faster Henderson to me.......but this whole no first team experiance thing, just seems silly, what first team experiance did Korey have before last season? Forster, he hadn''t played much either,  when Martin first came into the team a few years ago, he had none.....I think its up to Lambert to judge the players, and if they are good enough give them some game time if othter players arn''t performing, if they really need to be playing regually to gain experiance, then send them out on loan, but some players do manage to break into the first team set up, not just at Norwich without much before.....

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I think a ''Holty type'' striker with Championship experience will be signed or obtained on loan before the season starts. No inside information I stress, just an opinion. A Marlon Harewood type would be just the job. Whether we do or not, Lambo and the board must be congratulated on their signings to date. I do enjoy Lambert and McNasty''s little quotes when we are after a player eg ''we are interested but we haven''t got much money''. They refuse to be ripped off and i can recall a similar stand off prior to McNamee coming on board. Marvellous!![/quote]

Agreed. Chalk another one up for the Butcher of Colney. It will be interesting how many of the  "we won''t sign anyone because haven''t got any money" merchants will be making an appearance today?

[/quote]

Actually Beau with comments out of Newcastle today viz Forster probably staying there, makes me think the Butcher called the Geordies bluff has left his mark on Tyneside too !!

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]

Actually Beau with comments out of Newcastle today viz Forster probably staying there, makes me think the Butcher called the Geordies bluff has left his mark on Tyneside too !![/quote]

I think that he read the situation pretty well. With Celtic sniffing around Harper to replace the Fiorentina bound Boruc, Hughton had to play for time. I suspect that Ruddy was in the frame for a while, and I, for one, am delighted with that piece of business. He''s certainly no less physically imposing than Frazer, is he?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="KeelansGlove"]Forgot about him but what does that tell you. I am really concerned that Holt is the only Target man we have at the club, when he didn''t play last season we were often short of Ideas going forward, I suppose we could always sling Nelson up front if we get desperate.[/quote]Or perhaps instead of playing with a target man we could pay slick, sexy football with pacy, agile strikers?Just a thought.[:)][/quote]

Morty,Kathy has asked to post on her behalf as she is most annoyed with you.How dare you suggest that with her man up front (you know who i mean)we do not play slick,sexy football with pace.?

[/quote][:D]

The way I see our squad at present we have three first choice strikers of different types:

Big: Holt

Tricky: Martin

Quick: Jackson

We also have back up or lesser quality in:

Big:

Tricky: Johnson

Quick: Dawkin/Daley

I think what we need from a squad view is a big striker that is of a similar level (and wage) to Johnson.

With all due respect to Mr Holt though, does the Championship demand a big cart horse of a striker in the same way league one did? I agree a strong target man is a good asset but its not the be all and end all.Pace scares defenders more.

[quote user="morty"]With all due respect to Mr Holt though, does the Championship demand a big cart horse of a striker[/quote]Carthorse, CARTHORSE!![:S] Blimey Morty, I reckon when Kathy gets hold of you, you''ll end up in a burger roll covered with onions and tomato sauce at the forthcoming BBQ! [:D]  

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="morty"]With all due respect to Mr Holt though, does the Championship demand a big cart horse of a striker[/quote]Carthorse, CARTHORSE!![:S] Blimey Morty, I reckon when Kathy gets hold of you, you''ll end up in a burger roll covered with onions and tomato sauce at the forthcoming BBQ! [:D]  [/quote][:D]

[quote user="7rew"]The way I see our squad at present we have three first choice strikers of different types:

Big: Holt

Tricky: Martin

Quick: Jackson

We also have back up or lesser quality in:

Big:

Tricky: Johnson

Quick: Dawkin/Daley

I think what we need from a squad view is a big striker that is of a similar level (and wage) to Johnson.[/quote]Richard Brodie?

As other posters have mentioned, we need to stop thinking of Cody as a youngster who needs 1st team experience. Cody is 24, whilst Martin is only 21. IMO there is no benefit in Cody going on loan, other than to save his wages. We either keep him in the squad, which is my preference, or let him go, but a loan is a waste of time.

We also don''t need another striker as if Holt was injured/suspended, then Hoolahoop behind Martin with touch and skill and Jackson with pace, would be quality.

[quote user="Metal Militia"]As other posters have mentioned, we need to stop thinking of Cody as a youngster who needs 1st team experience. Cody is 24, whilst Martin is only 21. IMO there is no benefit in Cody going on loan, other than to save his wages. We either keep him in the squad, which is my preference, or let him go, but a loan is a waste of time.

We also don''t need another striker as if Holt was injured/suspended, then Hoolahoop behind Martin with touch and skill and Jackson with pace, would be quality.[/quote]He still is young in terms of his football development, just because he is 24 doesn''t mean he can''t improve and develop his game. Sending him out on loan allows Lambert to see whether he could possibly step up to Championship football without having to take the risk of playing him here, PL won''t know just through watching him in training. He''s wasn''t really given an opportunity last season because of the form of Holt & Martin.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Metal Militia"]As other posters have mentioned, we need to stop thinking of Cody as a youngster who needs 1st team experience. Cody is 24, whilst Martin is only 21. IMO there is no benefit in Cody going on loan, other than to save his wages. We either keep him in the squad, which is my preference, or let him go, but a loan is a waste of time.

We also don''t need another striker as if Holt was injured/suspended, then Hoolahoop behind Martin with touch and skill and Jackson with pace, would be quality.[/quote]He still is young in terms of his football development, just because he is 24 doesn''t mean he can''t improve and develop his game. Sending him out on loan allows Lambert to see whether he could possibly step up to Championship football without having to take the risk of playing him here, PL won''t know just through watching him in training. He''s wasn''t really given an opportunity last season because of the form of Holt & Martin.[/quote]

I know what you are saying but I would rather see Cody used with us as an impact sub.

[quote user="Metal Militia"]I know what you are saying but I would rather see Cody used with us as an impact sub.[/quote]As you say he is 24 now, it''s a case of now or never, he needs games to prove he can step up and play in the football league, whilst he is 4th or 5th choice here he isn''t getting an opportunity to show what  he can do.If he goes out to Gillingham and performs there is a chance he could come back here in 2011 and get a chance on the back of that opportunity.