Sign in to follow this  
Brighton Yellow

We now have a squad capable of winning the league

Why the devil not? It would be foolish of anyone to claim that one team will definately perform better than another.

On paper at least if the squads performs to thier abilities and luch etc goes our way when required then we can win the league.

I think we r getting abit ahead of ourselves here!!!

But then again il be the first to eat my words if we do!!!

My main point is that on paper we can beat them all without danger.

In reality of course we could be the worst City team ever and Lambert will have to escape the city due to his insane decisions and rubbish purchases etc.

Lets all hope for the best as I for one got used to singing ''we are top of the league'' etc.

p.s.

I'' m loving the look of the German training camp! compare that to previous pre seasons in Scotland... Nice one Paul!

We certainly do seem to be assembling a squad that will hold their own and give a real good account of themselves in the Championship.....

I don''t think we''ll win as many away games as last season, but if the squad show effort and commitment, produce and express a bit of flair and excitement and are battling till the final whistle, I''ll certainly be more than happy with that.....

Play-offs for us I think...... 

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

We certainly do seem to be assembling a squad that will hold their own and give a real good account of themselves in the Championship.....

I don''t think we''ll win as many away games as last season, but if the squad show effort and commitment, produce and express a bit of flair and excitement and are battling till the final whistle, I''ll certainly be more than happy with that.....

Play-offs for us I think...... 

[/quote][Y]

I''d be delighted with top 6. Yes, top two is possible, but I think the real contenders are Burnley + Forest.

The key to success in any league is consistency (of both form and personnel selection), luck with injuries and momentum.

We''ve assembled a squad capable of competing at the top end of the league but if Wes and Holty were to clatter each other in training tomorrow and be out for the season, god forbid, mid table would be a real achievement, regardless of how good we are on paper.

[quote user="Brendo "]I''d be delighted with top 6. Yes, top two is possible, but I think the real contenders are Burnley + Forest.
[/quote]

After reading and re reading all these posts,in case i am pulled up for missing someones point,i think the opinion of most posters concerning, where we will finish this year,has probably been the most optimistic for ages! ..  Though very few are predicting top 2,a top half seems in the words of  Lawrenson "doable" by quite a few (Maybe more than half or even POSSIBLY 2/3!!)

[quote user="Brendo "]I''d be delighted with top 6. Yes, top two is possible, but I think the real contenders are Burnley + Forest. [/quote]........and M''boro

We still need a good quality right full back IMO. R.Martin is good back up but as a starter? Erm... no thanks.

If Lambo judges him to be good enough then I am with him all the way.

[quote user="Brighton Yellow"]

Lets all hope for the best as I for one got used to singing ''we are top of the league''

[/quote]

Well anything other than defeat on the opening day and you can do that for certain. If we win we''re top on points, if we draw we''re top on alphabetical order! Untill Saturday at 5 anyway...

I think everyone is getting a bit carried away.  Yes we have got a good squad but lets remember not loads of these have got lots of Championship experience.  E.g. R.Martin, Whitbread (?), Crofts, K.Smith, Fox, C.Martin, Jackson.  I can see us being mid-table and in my eyes that would be good and I would be happy with that but lots of people wouldn''t and I really don''t want people to start moaning at the team or Lambert for having a season of consolidation.  The Championship is wide open which means that we can beat anyone but lets not forget anyone can also beat us when we least expect it.

for me were like Swindon last year pre season...a squad capable of winning any game, expected top-halve finish but with a push could make the play-offs

"we now have a squad capable of winning the league"

First post: "it would be foolish to say one team will finish above another"

Hmm

[quote user="Dogger "][quote user="Brendo "]I''d be delighted with top 6. Yes, top two is possible, but I think the real contenders are Burnley + Forest. [/quote]........and M''boro[/quote]True. Can''t see anyone else winning this league. The likes of Leicester, Cardiff + Sheff Utd are all also good, but no other teams really have much of a better team or a manager than us I think.

It starts with the No 1...depending on how well he plays not sure he has been a number 1 ever for a full season. Lets hope he can be just as good as Fraser...If  he turns into a Theo which I do not think we will be in for a long year..On Paper the team looks great lets just hope Ruddy can do well but I see top 6.

You lot are nuts!!! Lets be realistic....Top half would be a  good season and then allow us to kick on next year.Why oh why must some people heap pressure on the team and have unrealistic expectations....For those that think we will get into top 2 please WAKE UP....Our journey back into the prem is a marathon not a sprint!!!

Good post from Boyo. Too many fickle changing of opinions in football (some would

say that''s the beauty of it though!) But I believe we still need another

choice at right back, an out and out right winger (Dannny Green?) and a

back up for Holt. I know it doesn''t fit Lamberts demographic, but a

target man with champs experience (and thus potentially older) would be

cracking.I''m impressed with the signings so far and certainly think

we can compete for a top 6 place, however football has a funny way of

kicking you while you''re down. As long as the belief and confidence is

there from the very start we''ll be ok. I''m certainly not judging anyone

until we are about 10-15 games in!

[quote user="Rocky Rocastle"]You lot are nuts!!! Lets be realistic....Top half would be a  good season and then allow us to kick on next year.

Why oh why must some people heap pressure on the team and have unrealistic expectations....For those that think we will get into top 2 please WAKE UP....Our journey back into the prem is a marathon not a sprint!!!
[/quote]

[Y][Y][Y]

[quote user="Boyo''"]

[quote user="Rocky Rocastle"]You lot are nuts!!! Lets be realistic....Top half would be a  good season and then allow us to kick on next year.Why oh why must some people heap pressure on the team and have unrealistic expectations....For those that think we will get into top 2 please WAKE UP....Our journey back into the prem is a marathon not a sprint!!![/quote]

Why is it?Name two squads that are better than ours is shaping up to be (with another couple of good signings added to it) and list there players so we can compare like for like.There are no outstanding teams in the Championship and if the board and Lambert can just push the boat out a little further then I think many of you could be very pleasantly surprised!

[quote user="Rocky Rocastle"]You lot are nuts!!! Lets be realistic....Top half would be a  good season and then allow us to kick on next year.Why oh why must some people heap pressure on the team and have unrealistic expectations....For those that think we will get into top 2 please WAKE UP....Our journey back into the prem is a marathon not a sprint!!![/quote]Why is it nuts to suggest that we could push for a top two spot this season?Name two squads that are better than ours is shaping

up to be (with another couple of good signings added to it) and list

there players so we can compare like for like.There are no

outstanding teams in the Championship and if the board and Lambert can

just push the boat out a little further then I think many of you could

be very pleasantly surprised!

OK, I am pleased with the recent signings and I also believe we are a mid-table team that can possibly make a run.  The big question I believe is one few are mentioning.  We are assuming that Ruddy and/or Rudd/Steer are actually capable in this League.  Last year we had a rock in between the posts, an absolute brick wall. If our Keepers step up this year and can do the same then we will have a good chance of finishing quite high in the table.  But to be honest our keepers are largely unproven.  And while Ruddy comes highly recommended, he''s never played in this league before and many are assuming he will be a Forster-clone.  To me, that''s where our success lives or dies.  Lambert has built a solid team that can score goals.  But can we defend?  An unproven GK and only 3 real CBs on the books?  Lets see what happens...

We are capable of winning the play-offs, there are few teams that stand out. However I dare say we are capable of being near the relegation zone, there are few teams who look overly poor.All I can say is I really hope you lot arent moaning and grumbling if we end up around mid-table; The last thing we need is to go back to some of the scenes from a few years back.

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]OK, I am pleased with the recent signings and I also believe we are a mid-table team that can possibly make a run.  The big question I believe is one few are mentioning.  We are assuming that Ruddy and/or Rudd/Steer are actually capable in this League.  Last year we had a rock in between the posts, an absolute brick wall. If our Keepers step up this year and can do the same then we will have a good chance of finishing quite high in the table.  But to be honest our keepers are largely unproven.  And while Ruddy comes highly recommended, he''s never played in this league before and many are assuming he will be a Forster-clone.  To me, that''s where our success lives or dies.  Lambert has built a solid team that can score goals.  But can we defend?  An unproven GK and only 3 real CBs on the books?  Lets see what happens...
[/quote]

Surely Ruddy is more proven than Forster, it is just that we have personally witnessed what Forster is capable of, whereas Ruddy has more expereince than Forster - just elsewhere

[quote user="Brighton Yellow"]

My main point is that on paper we can beat them all without danger.

In reality of course we could be the worst City team ever and Lambert will have to escape the city due to his insane decisions and rubbish purchases etc.

Lets all hope for the best as I for one got used to singing ''we are top of the league'' etc.

p.s.

I'' m loving the look of the German training camp! compare that to previous pre seasons in Scotland... Nice one Paul!

[/quote]

We don''t play on paper, unfortunately. There are so many things that can happen throughout a season to take you off course. Having said that, I shall be disappointed if we finish outside the top six, but I think to predict a top two place at this stage is rather counting your chickens.