Sign in to follow this  
Hog

Jackson signs

Reported by Gillingham, on Twitter, BBC. He flew out to Germany last night to join up with squad. Cody gone the other way....

At last!

Sorry, Computer playing up this morning, posted this a while ago but delayed in going up, I now see others saying the same thing.....

At last! Good news! He''ll add that pace and clinical finishing we need up front. Holt and martin are clinical and Cody and Olly have pace but none have both.

This is up there with the capture of Surman in  my eyes, although not proven at this level with good service i think he could get 15+ in his first season. Great signing Lambert!

Fantastic news. I''m sure he''ll be a star for us.

Probably good for Cody as well. He''ll rip L2 to pieces when playing regularly.

http://www.kentsportsnews.com/News-(1)/Football/News---Gillingham/July-2010/Norwich-close-in-on-striker-Jackson.aspx

well connected with Gillingham

[quote user="M.A.T.T"]At last! Good news! He''ll add that pace and clinical finishing we need up front. Holt and martin are clinical and Cody and Olly have pace but none have both.[/quote]

I''m not sure I''d describe him as clinical, he wasted a lot of chances to kill us off at the Priestfield in September, but he does get himself in the right place very often. I''m delighted with this signing; he''s the right age, has a good attitude, he''s fast, and with him running in behind defences Hoolahan, Surman, and Fox are going to be having a great time.

Very pleased with this signing as i think he''s just what we need - a bit of pace and a player who will play on the shoulder of the last defender. Gives us nice variety up front with him, Martin and Holt. Also think a loan spell at the Gills will do Cody the world of good as I do think he has great potential and the boy needs regular games. I am convinced he will score goals at league 2 level and it will do his confidence the world of good. I just hope that if he does well there we can still sign him up at the end of it as my recollection was that he has one year left on his contract?

I noticed on SSN this morning that Gillingham have just been knocked back in their attempts to sign a defender. We''re all assuming Cody''s going, but I wonder if we may be surprised, given that Cody is in Germany and Askou isn''t?

[quote user="Beauseant"]I noticed on SSN this morning that Gillingham have just been knocked back in their attempts to sign a defender. We''re all assuming Cody''s going, but I wonder if we may be surprised, given that Cody is in Germany and Askou isn''t?[/quote]

I reckon Luke Daley could go the other way rather than Cody. I''d be happier with that too.

Anyone else think we need another striker, but in the target man mould? Knowone can fill Holt''s void if he gets injured.

Oh and a right back. If Askou also goes we might need another centre back as we will be down to 3 first team central defenders.

Agreed Mello, rubbish signing, where''s the proven Championship scorer that''s guaranteed to scre 25+ goals that we need?

Sack Lambert, sack McNally and sack Bowkett.

Davo

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]

Anyone else think we need another striker, but in the target man mould? Knowone can fill Holt''s void if he gets injured.

Oh and a right back. If Askou also goes we might need another centre back as we will be down to 3 first team central defenders.

[/quote]

I''ve thought this for a while, although i could see Jackon and Martin doing quite well together.

Perhaps Keogh on loan?

[quote user="canary_girl"]

Would like this to be confirmed on the club website

[/quote]

I''m sure it will be. It''s just whether the news will come out of Carrow Rd or the German Training Camp (did Archant send someone over there?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwe84PKNdMcA little taster video showing what he is about! I enjoyed the goal in front of the ''kop'' end at leeds in particular!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Very pleased with this signing as i think he''s just what we need - a bit of pace and a player who will play on the shoulder of the last defender. Gives us nice variety up front with him, Martin and Holt. Also think a loan spell at the Gills will do Cody the world of good as I do think he has great potential and the boy needs regular games. I am convinced he will score goals at league 2 level and it will do his confidence the world of good. I just hope that if he does well there we can still sign him up at the end of it as my recollection was that he has one year left on his contract?[/quote]

Great post Jim, exactly matches my opinion! But what are the odds of us giving him anew contract, assuming we do well?

Nowhere near as exciting as Gunn''s signing of Holt, what an inspired signing that turned out to be. Jackson seems to have potential but if he''s that good, I''m surprised that he spent years at Rushden and Diamonds. However, "in Lambert we trust" so I''m confident that Jackson will turn out to be every bit as effective and successful as Holt has been.

Major, major signing if it happens and a sign that City really mean business - god compare our squad now to the early 2009 when Cody was signed - it was a threadbare outfit of loan dross - Sibierski, Lupoli, Killen, Gow etc. We now own all our players. Even the keeper situation is better. As good as Forster was, I''d always prefer a man between the sticks actually owned by the club.

I know there were many, many other clubs after Jackson. We''ve got goals all through the team and with 25,000 plus a few more squeezed in I can''t help but feel unbelievably positive about this season, especially when you look at the mass influx of players joining the Keane revolution at Portman Road!

Bring it on!

[quote user="Bogbrush"]Nowhere near as exciting as Gunn''s signing of Holt, what an inspired signing that turned out to be. Jackson seems to have potential but if he''s that good, I''m surprised that he spent years at Rushden and Diamonds. However, "in Lambert we trust" so I''m confident that Jackson will turn out to be every bit as effective and successful as Holt has been.[/quote]

Maybe be because he played for them between the age of 17 - 21.

[quote user="birchfest"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwe84PKNdMc

A little taster video showing what he is about! I enjoyed the goal in front of the ''kop'' end at leeds in particular!
[/quote]

Thanks for this - it really got me excited about our new signing. A lot of people on here are talking about pace, but from these clips I think there''s alot more to his game as well: he''s strong, tenacious even, pesters defenders, he can dribble, scores a suprising number of goals with his head, a real poacher (lots of three yard tap ins, nothing wrong with that!), and great awareness and anticipation.

I think potentially he could partner either Holt OR Martin. Don''t want to get carried away but he looks a craking signing. [Y]

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[quote user="Bogbrush"]Nowhere near as exciting as Gunn''s signing of Holt, what an inspired signing that turned out to be. Jackson seems to have potential but if he''s that good, I''m surprised that he spent years at Rushden and Diamonds. However, "in Lambert we trust" so I''m confident that Jackson will turn out to be every bit as effective and successful as Holt has been.[/quote]

Maybe be because he played for them between the age of 17 - 21.

[/quote]

Exactly my point. That''s the age range when talent normally shines through and in a league which is frequented by scuts but no one took a chance on him until Gillingham came in for him. One good season in league One doesn''t mean very much - look at Cureton, golden boot award in the Champiionship and then a complete flop after that at Norwich.