Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

POSITIVE ANTICIPATION!!!

My enthusiasm for the coming season is rapidly increasing and i think come August 6th I may be overflowing with excitement!

I really expect it to be a cracking season and I see no reason why we shouldnt stand just as good a chance as anyone else of actually finishing 1st. Im expecting a top 6 finish at the very least, based on the fact that we walked League 1 at a canter without really ever hitting top gear.

In addition weve now added 7 new faces that fair enough none of us know much about, but on paper look to be excellent signings, Ward, Surman and Jackson in particular, and Ruddy could well be another Fraser according to whats been said about him.

All in all when you look at the new improved first 11, with Ruddy in goal and Drury/Smith Ward, Whitbread/Nelson etc in front of him, a midfield of Korey, Crofts, Fox, Surman, Lapps and Hoolahan and Holt, Martin and Jackson up front, i really see a strong side there capable of not only challenging for the top 6 but finishing first.

Bring on the new season I cant flippin wait!!! especially after the bull$hit of England''s world cup shambles....

I like your enthusiasm and I would love to see Norwich finish in the top 6 but for some reason I just don''t think it will happen.

There are posts everyday of people saying ''we are getting promoted no problem'' and ''at least the playoffs if not better'' etc but I think a top half finish would constitute a good season. Compared to other teams in this division I don''t think we are in the upper quartile in terms of quality.

Before anyone throws back the argument that anything can happen in the Championship and you cant predict it, I would say well surely at that rate there is as much cause for pessimism as well as we could find ourselves back in League 1.

I would very much like to be on the promotionbandwagon but hand on heart I can''t share the OP''s point of view.

Hit the floor running and you just never know. Everyone will be beating everyone this season in the Championship. I can''t see the three relegated Prem sides standing out either tbh.

[quote user="Road to Nowhere"]

I like your enthusiasm and I would love to see Norwich finish in the top 6 but for some reason I just don''t think it will happen.

There are posts everyday of people saying ''we are getting promoted no problem'' and ''at least the playoffs if not better'' etc but I think a top half finish would constitute a good season. Compared to other teams in this division I don''t think we are in the upper quartile in terms of quality.

Before anyone throws back the argument that anything can happen in the Championship and you cant predict it, I would say well surely at that rate there is as much cause for pessimism as well as we could find ourselves back in League 1.

I would very much like to be on the promotionbandwagon but hand on heart I can''t share the OP''s point of view.

[/quote]

We are on par with most teams,in terms of quality,with the acquisitions,and with the quality already on board..We won league one,with ease,and that includes a stutter towards the end.And this was the hardest league one,according to most pundits,ever..

Next season,may prove that some of our players from last season,are not just good enough for this league,but even higher..Then 5 of the 7, imo, of the new signings, are of very high championship quality..My major concern is a comment made by Claridge on the football league show,in april..Though i agree he sometimes talks out of his ### ,this point seems fair...

When asked by a norwich fan,"How will we do next season if we get promoted" He answered "If the manager adds 4 or 5 new players to give the current squad a helping hand,then they should be alright..6 at the most,as you start adding to many new faces,you spoil the bond that got you there"

When i re watched this,and thought about it,he has a point..The `togetherness` was strong last season,now there has to be a new bond built.I dont think a trip to germany will make everyone become pals and know each others games inside out,though it will be a start

I just hope Lambert does start off with a strong nucleus from last season,in the starting 11,and bring in the others gradually..Scrub that,im sure he will.

And then i hope the fans give the new players time to settle and not expect them to perform miracles straight away!

I certainly don''t think it''s out of the question we could make the top two but we will need  to keep our best players fit, there''s not really any stand out teams for me so we have as good a chance as anyone. If we get a good start and can recreate the atmosphere at cr that we had the last time we reached the prem we will be very difficult to beat at home and anything is possible.

We still need another couple of signings and then maybe a loanee or two, plus a new addition or two in January to help us along the way in my opinion.No side in this league is fantastic though.Most people now tipping Boro'' to run away with it.  Have they really done enough in the transfer market this summer to improve so much on what was a fairly abject season for them last year?  Other suggesting Forest who in my opinion are unlikely to match last season and I reckon a top six finish (losing again in the play-offs) is the best that they can hope for.

the key thing for me is the diversity of the squad. For years we have been so one dimensional, as good as Hucks was he did unbalance the side and we only ever seemed to have one tactic, after the prem relegation.

But now we have a lot of options and i can see us being strong at home and then away packing the midfield with the likes of the Korey''s, Crofts and Surmans, and employing different tactics each game.

Lamberts strong point i think is tactics per game, example being the Leeds home game, horrible game to watch but tactics spot on. Lambert now has a squad that gives him complete tactic versatility. We have the likes of McNamee and Hoolahan when we want to attack and Crofts and Smith and Lappin for the tough away games.

"There are posts everyday of people saying ''we are getting promoted no

problem'' and ''at least the playoffs if not better'' etc"eh ?I would say they are few and far between, if any.There is a growing sense of confidence yes, but not posts everyday making such claims.

[quote user="Smudger"]We still need another couple of signings and then maybe a loanee or two, plus a new addition or two in January to help us along the way in my opinion.[/quote]So Smudger, you think we still need up to another six players  (half of a team)![:S] Which half are you happy with atm? [:^)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Smudger"]We still need another couple of signings and then maybe a loanee or two, plus a new addition or two in January to help us along the way in my opinion.[/quote]So Smudger, you think we still need up to another six players  (half of a team)![:S] Which half are you happy with atm? [:^)][/quote]No Lapp, I think that we have a pretty good starting 11, but it is a squad game these days.I think that we need at least two permanent signings before the end of August if we want to put in a serious promotion push, plus a possibly a couple of loanees if required.Then if we can re-asses the situation at Christmas.  If we feel we need a little more then to push for the play-offs or even automatic promotion then surely that is the time to add a little more.The board and Lambert''s management team have put in fantastic work so far this summer.  It would be such a shame to be just a couple of players short of fearing nobody in this league in my opinion after all of the hard work that has gone in so far.  There is nobody to be frightened of in this league and another couple of additions to the squad should see us go very close indeed to being where we all want to be.

"The board and Lambert''s management team have put in fantastic work so

far this summer"I would suggest the work started long before this summer. We were able to sign players very soon. Players I would suggest that had been identified and checked way before the season was coming to a close. There has been talk of players being targeted for the January transfer window. That further suggests that the club is confident of what battle it will be fighting then - promotion rather than relegation. Ewan Chester is more evidence of the future planning that is taking place at the club.   This no longer looks like a club that will try it''s best to succeed. It''s now a club that won''t accept anything less than success.Bring on May 2011 and the open top bus parade !

So im the only one who has a little,midging of a worry,that 7 new players just may weaken the team spirit of last season? ..Lone the signings,and was really happy until i was looking at last seasons FT league shows,for that cody goal,and came across that comment from Claridge about 4/5 new players, 6 at most,anymore you start to lose that togetheress that got Norwich there..When talking to mate last night,he said leicester did this a few seasons ago,got in almost a whole new team,and went down! ....Okay lets stick on 7 

[quote user="Michael Starr"] I can''t see the three relegated Prem sides standing out either tbh.[/quote]Hull + Pompy selling players cause they have money problems. Burnley will be the main contenders for me. They have budgeted well, and I reckon they will finish top two.

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Michael Starr"] I can''t see the three relegated Prem sides standing out either tbh.[/quote]Hull + Pompy selling players cause they have money problems. Burnley will be the main contenders for me. They have budgeted well, and I reckon they will finish top two. [/quote]I agree with Hull and Portsmouth, but Burnley, not so sure.Relegation obviously has an extremely negative effect on the mood of a club, and a there is a massive importance of getting a good start. If they start poorly then there will be some players thinking "Awww, crap, here we go again, just where we left off last season"Its very, very easy for a club to go into a downward spiral of poor confidence.I don''t think I need to name examples of this lol.

[quote user="Barclaybred"]So im the only one who has a little,midging of a worry,that 7 new players just may weaken the team spirit of last season? ..Lone the signings,and was really happy until i was looking at last seasons FT league shows,for that cody goal,and came across that comment from Claridge about 4/5 new players, 6 at most,anymore you start to lose that togetheress that got Norwich there..When talking to mate last night,he said leicester did this a few seasons ago,got in almost a whole new team,and went down! ....Okay lets stick on 7 [/quote] Was meant as Love the signings.