Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Wal

The loan system

Perhaps it has been noticed how much I detest the present loan system so it was particularly pleasing to read Steve Coppell feeling exactly the same way.

I just hope we can resist any temptation to benefit other clubs at our expense this season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_city/8820611.stm

The loan system works when you need a specific position filled and you get someone in, but when your getting loan players to make a squad, save money (which is false economy, £700k for Bertrand the prime example!) and players just for the sake of it cause they come from a Premiership club EG Norwich City 2008/09 then its no good!

So to specifically fill in a left back position for £700,000 was OK unless he was just there filling the squad?

I got lost there somehow!

Bertrand allegedly cost £700K for the seasons loan, wasn''t that good in most of his performances and it seemed we had to play him despite regular below par form!

The likes of the CB Pearce, Keiron Gibbs (one of the worst players I''ve ever seen in a Norwich shirt and yes I know hes played for Arsenal since but that won''t alter his p iss poor games for Norwich!), the young winger from Reading, Koroma from Portsmouth and others I can''t rmember were examples of loans signed just for the sake of it just cause they were from Premiership clubs. None of them were good enough or wanted to be at Norwich and quite often part of the deal was we had to play them!

Fraser Forster last sseaon  was an example of a loan siging that make sense from all sides. We needed a keepr, Forster needed 1st team experienc and wanted to be at the club!  

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Bertrand allegedly cost £700K for the seasons loan, wasn''t that good in most of his performances and it seemed we had to play him despite regular below par form!

The likes of the CB Pearce, Keiron Gibbs (one of the worst players I''ve ever seen in a Norwich shirt and yes I know hes played for Arsenal since but that won''t alter his p iss poor games for Norwich!), the young winger from Reading, Koroma from Portsmouth and others I can''t rmember were examples of loans signed just for the sake of it just cause they were from Premiership clubs. None of them were good enough or wanted to be at Norwich and quite often part of the deal was we had to play them!

Fraser Forster last sseaon  was an example of a loan siging that make sense from all sides. We needed a keepr, Forster needed 1st team experienc and wanted to be at the club!  

[/quote]

agreed.

In those good old days before loans were everywhere we would have bought our own keeper, just as we have now.

Ambitious keepers and clubs who wanted to sell one, if they had more than they needed (Forster), would welcome the moves and the added income.

We picked up good keepers that way (Woods, Gunn) which we then made into even better keepers, to our benefit, not to another club''s.

Nowadays if a club has a good young player they don''t sell them they farm them out to make money, that is why their squads are so big. They deny smaller clubs the opportunity of developing their own players and then reap the rewards.

Fraser Forster has now proved his worth ...... and effectively priced himself out of our reach.

Finally a simple question. What was Fraser Forster worth when he came to us and what was he worth when he left?

Read Steve Coppell''s point mentioned in the OP.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]In those good old days before loans were everywhere we would have bought our own keeper, just as we have now. Ambitious keepers and clubs who wanted to sell one, if they had more than they needed (Forster), would welcome the moves and the added income. We picked up good keepers that way (Woods, Gunn) which we then made into even better keepers, to our benefit, not to another club''s. Nowadays if a club has a good young player they don''t sell them they farm them out to make money, that is why their squads are so big. They deny smaller clubs the opportunity of developing their own players and then reap the rewards. Fraser Forster has now proved his worth ...... and effectively priced himself out of our reach. Finally a simple question. What was Fraser Forster worth when he came to us and what was he worth when he left? Read Steve Coppell''s point mentioned in the OP.[/quote]

So when we signed Huckerby and Crouch on loan and they basically won us the league that year you were disappointed? What if we couldnt have afforded our own keeper last year? we would have been stuck with Rudd and Stear at their ages?Too many loans is a bad thing, but surely just a couple isnt a bad way to go?

Particularly as Forster played a massive part in helping us to promotion.  It''s not all about money is it?  So what if we don''t benefit financially from him, we may not have won the league without him.

Sometimes you can''t afford to sign a player in a certain position. Thus if a player can plug a gap for a season on loan and doesnt cost the earth, the loan system makes a lot of sense. Forster was a great example of this because I doubt he came with a loan fee attached given his lack of first team experience. However I agree when you start paying big loan fees for people or packing the squad full of loan players it becomes a false economy.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[/quote]

To be honest I suspect that when we first approached him he would only have been willing to come here on loan. He did not know we would get promoted straight back to Championship and you would not have blamed him for turning down a permanent transfer to a Third division team when he could have been competing to be back up for a team likely to be near the top of the Championship. That it all worked out well for everyone concerned was great but never certain from his perspective.

The loan system, used sparingly and carefully for specific reasons is a good solution in my view. We have a downer on it because of the way it was abused by Roeder with the disasterous outcomes that that led to from about February of 2009 onwards.

The loan system was first brought in to help the smaller clubs in times of emergency.

Since then the richest clubs have abused the system for their own ends and used it as a money making strategy to the detriment of the lower clubs.

As an example of how we were used look at David Bentley. He did not play one Premiership match for Arsenal but after his loan period with us and Premiership experience he was sold to Blackburn, after being loaned to them, for a few million pounds.

To understand the problem ask yourself this: If there was no loan system in place would the Premiership clubs have as many players on their books as they do now? If they did where would those players gain their experience?

Only a few youngsters would be developed, the cream. The rest would join so called lesser clubs, like ourselves, and graduate to the better clubs and by so doing the lesser clubs gained sunstantial transfer fees which allowed them to exist and prosper.

Nowadays it is sickening to see and hear of players bought by the richest clubs and then immediately loaned to the club they have been bought from. As Steve Coppell says "These youngsters would have come anyway, for free. All the Championship clubs are just fattening lambs for slaughter.

"Talented youngsters - who can''t get a game in the Premier League club''s first team or reserves - are coming here, getting some real value added, then being sold on to Championship clubs at benefit to the parent clubs."

[quote user="I am a Banana"]loans should be made into emergencys only.[/quote]

No. You''re a complete tool, or fruit. And after realising you went to Hellesdon High School i also know exactly who you are.

Stalker-ish or what! [:D]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]loans should be made into emergencys only.[/quote]

No. You''re a complete tool, or fruit. And after realising you went to Hellesdon High School i also know exactly who you are.

Stalker-ish or what! [:D]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="I am a Banana"]loans should be made into emergencys only.[/quote] No. You''re a complete tool, or fruit. And after realising you went to Hellesdon High School i also know exactly who you are. Stalker-ish or what! [:D][/quote]

ok now im scared [:P]

If they made it emergeny loans only this would make clubs use their youth players and this would help your national team of england to have a better chance in the future!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="I am a Banana"]loans should be made into emergencys only.[/quote] No. You''re a complete tool, or fruit. And after realising you went to Hellesdon High School i also know exactly who you are. Stalker-ish or what! [:D][/quote]

If they made it emergeny loans only this would make clubs use their youth players and this would help your national team of england to have a better chance in the future!

[/quote]The better youth players would be spread over a larger number of clubs and as such many more would gain experience of first team football quicker.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

OUR

You''re english you fucking banana!