Sign in to follow this  
Erik the Viking

Bryan Gunns signings RIP!

Last season we were in League One. Gunny''s worst signing was the goalkeeper and Lambert put that right immediately. So bar the goalkeeper Gunny got us a squad good enough to walk the league we were in. I doubt we would have walked the league if Gunny had stayed though.But with a change of manager and a new ''keeper we did walk the league with the squad Gunn assembled. Unless of course you believe that our success last season was down to Johnson, Mcnamee and Whitbread.

If we gain promotion to the Premier League this season how many of Lamberts signings would be automatic starters the next season?

Any comment I make on the head leech will be totally biased, so I won''t.[img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/censored.gif[/img]

[quote user="singing canary"]and the players he kept ..?

Martin ...?

Wes.....? did not the board want to sell wes ,and gunn wanted to keep him..?

Hughes..? thought he was good this season .

the 3 men Gunny either kept or brought in scored all our goals .

I rate lambert ... like every city fan .

But, what ever anyone thinks ..

gunny built a squad that was good enough to get us out of that division ,through a fluke result or bad tactic ..who knows ..?

we won away the next game 4-0.

rate the man or not ... he did not rip this squad apart like the loan ranger ,he re-built it without loan players on a small budget for a division city had not been in for 50 years.

great player for this club ...as a fan loved his nearly head-but the post,as he run onto the pitch .

As a manger ..not good enough through lack of experience and tactical knowledge..but as a city fan ,im glad the man played a part here ,and respect his guts.

I wont sit here and slate a man who has gone for it ,with odds stacked against him half way through a season with a team full of players from other clubs ,who could not be bothered.

Gunny bashing is a bit boring , and this man played for city a week after his daughter died , wind me up when people do not look at the bigger picture .

respect to the big man .[/quote]

Good, thoughtful, objective post............ so, what''s it doing on here ?! Seriously, don''t expect much rational discussion on this MB, it''s all a bit one-dimensional i.e. Gunn=all bad, Lambert=all good. Peronally, and given the disastrously, chronicall bad situation that Gunn inherited, I thought he was re-building well. The 7-0 drubbing by Colchester just gave the McUglyone the opportunity to get rid of Gunn so no one can say either way what Gunn''s team would have achieved. By the same token, respect to Lambert for what he has achieved and only time will tell how good/bad some of his signings will prove to be.

[quote user="Bogbrush"][quote user="singing canary"]and the players he kept ..? Martin ...? Wes.....? did not the board want to sell wes ,and gunn wanted to keep him..? Hughes..? thought he was good this season . the 3 men Gunny either kept or brought in scored all our goals . I rate lambert ... like every city fan . But, what ever anyone thinks .. gunny built a squad that was good enough to get us out of that division ,through a fluke result or bad tactic ..who knows ..? we won away the next game 4-0. rate the man or not ... he did not rip this squad apart like the loan ranger ,he re-built it without loan players on a small budget for a division city had not been in for 50 years. great player for this club ...as a fan loved his nearly head-but the post,as he run onto the pitch . As a manger ..not good enough through lack of experience and tactical knowledge..but as a city fan ,im glad the man played a part here ,and respect his guts. I wont sit here and slate a man who has gone for it ,with odds stacked against him half way through a season with a team full of players from other clubs ,who could not be bothered. Gunny bashing is a bit boring , and this man played for city a week after his daughter died , wind me up when people do not look at the bigger picture . respect to the big man .[/quote] Good, thoughtful, objective post............ so, what''s it doing on here ?! Seriously, don''t expect much rational discussion on this MB, it''s all a bit one-dimensional i.e. Gunn=all bad, Lambert=all good. Peronally, and given the disastrously, chronicall bad situation that Gunn inherited, I thought he was re-building well. The 7-0 drubbing by Colchester just gave the McUglyone the opportunity to get rid of Gunn so no one can say either way what Gunn''s team would have achieved. By the same token, respect to Lambert for what he has achieved and only time will tell how good/bad some of his signings will prove to be.[/quote]Err? and who played a major role in getting us relegated?

HE had 23 games to save us ffs, Jesus wept!

[quote user="First Wizard"]Any comment I make on the head leech will be totally biased, so I won''t.[img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/censored.gif[/img][/quote]and yet the board offered him these roles within the club.. Leach? or just someone taking the offer of employment when it was presented to him?so then wiz, should gunn have turned down food on the fmaily table and roof over head for fear of some idiot in Lowestoft calling him a "leach"?

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Bogbrush"][quote user="singing canary"]and the players he kept ..? Martin ...? Wes.....? did not the board want to sell wes ,and gunn wanted to keep him..? Hughes..? thought he was good this season . the 3 men Gunny either kept or brought in scored all our goals . I rate lambert ... like every city fan . But, what ever anyone thinks .. gunny built a squad that was good enough to get us out of that division ,through a fluke result or bad tactic ..who knows ..? we won away the next game 4-0. rate the man or not ... he did not rip this squad apart like the loan ranger ,he re-built it without loan players on a small budget for a division city had not been in for 50 years. great player for this club ...as a fan loved his nearly head-but the post,as he run onto the pitch . As a manger ..not good enough through lack of experience and tactical knowledge..but as a city fan ,im glad the man played a part here ,and respect his guts. I wont sit here and slate a man who has gone for it ,with odds stacked against him half way through a season with a team full of players from other clubs ,who could not be bothered. Gunny bashing is a bit boring , and this man played for city a week after his daughter died , wind me up when people do not look at the bigger picture . respect to the big man .[/quote] Good, thoughtful, objective post............ so, what''s it doing on here ?! Seriously, don''t expect much rational discussion on this MB, it''s all a bit one-dimensional i.e. Gunn=all bad, Lambert=all good. Peronally, and given the disastrously, chronicall bad situation that Gunn inherited, I thought he was re-building well. The 7-0 drubbing by Colchester just gave the McUglyone the opportunity to get rid of Gunn so no one can say either way what Gunn''s team would have achieved. By the same token, respect to Lambert for what he has achieved and only time will tell how good/bad some of his signings will prove to be.[/quote]Err? and who played a major role in getting us relegated?

HE had 23 games to save us ffs, Jesus wept!

[/quote]

Gunn was a failure, full stop. Relegation wasn''t entirely his fault, but his overall record as manager is shocking. Still, at least he played a small part in us ending up with Lambert and McNally!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="First Wizard"]Any comment I make on the head leech will be totally biased, so I won''t.[img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/censored.gif[/img][/quote]

and yet the board offered him these roles within the club.. Leach? or just someone taking the offer of employment when it was presented to him?

so then wiz, should gunn have turned down food on the fmaily table and roof over head for fear of some idiot in Lowestoft calling him a "leach"?
[/quote]Can''t you keep up?

500 fans at Saints Andrews Hall, plus thousands elsewhere no doubt, didn''t want him either, so don''t make out it was  only me you fool ...Nurse, 1 to go!

P46 W29 D8 L9 F89 A47 Pts95 - Won the League by 9 points.

I wonder what good signings would have achieved[:^)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OR...

Under Gunn/Butterworth

P3 W0 D1 L2 F3 A10 Pts 1

Under Lambert

P43 W29 D7 L7 F86 A37 Pts 94

I wonder what Gunn/Butterworth would have achieved [:^)]

[quote user="Dion DublinLegend"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OR...

Under Gunn/Butterworth

P3 W0 D1 L2 F3 A10 Pts 1

Under Lambert

[/quote]

But this thread is not about Gunny''s ability, or lack of ability, to manage the signings. It''s about the signings themselves. Those players do not deserve to be rubbished. Gunny used his budget to give us a squad, bar the goalkeeper, good enough to walk the league which he assembled that squad to compete in.

Again I''ll ask how many of this seasons squad would be automatic choices next season should we achieve promotion to the Premier League.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Dion DublinLegend"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OR...

Under Gunn/Butterworth

P3 W0 D1 L2 F3 A10 Pts 1

Under Lambert

[/quote]

But this thread is not about Gunny''s ability, or lack of ability, to manage the signings. It''s about the signings themselves. Those players do not deserve to be rubbished. Gunny used his budget to give us a squad, bar the goalkeeper, good enough to walk the league which he assembled that squad to compete in.

Again I''ll ask how many of this seasons squad would be automatic choices next season should we achieve promotion to the Premier League.

[/quote]

If you look at our title winning first choice team Nutty (Forster, Drury, Nelson, Doc, R Martin, Russell, Lappin, Smith, Hoolahan, Holt, C. Martin) only Holt and Nelosn were a Gunn signings. I wouldn''t necessarily "rubbish" anyone not on that list, especially Askou and Gill, but it''s hardly a ringing endorsement of his transfer policy is it?

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I''ll be annoyed if Nelson isn''t starting against Watford cause he done a grand job last season, head and shoulders above Zak (Hes going to be wonderful, yet didn''t do  b uggerall last season!) Whitbread!

To many fans go on urban myths rather than actual performances on the pitch!

I hope that Whitbread turns out as good as what many are suggesting but at the moment this Whitbread apreciation society has no actual evidence from on pitch performance to back it up! 

[/quote]Agree on Whitebread, but not on Nelson. On performances I''ve seen of all candidates, Askou is the second best CB at the club (though he looks left out) and then it falls to Francomb as the third best CB at the club. Hopefully the "But...but... he played for Liverpool" believers will be proved right about Whitebread, but if DEREHAM make him look that uncomfortable..

[quote user="Dion DublinLegend"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Dion DublinLegend"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OR...

Under Gunn/Butterworth

P3 W0 D1 L2 F3 A10 Pts 1

Under Lambert

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you look at our title winning first choice team Nutty (Forster, Drury, Nelson, Doc, R Martin, Russell, Lappin, Smith, Hoolahan, Holt, C. Martin) only Holt and Nelosn were a Gunn signings. I wouldn''t necessarily "rubbish" anyone not on that list, especially Askou and Gill, but it''s hardly a ringing endorsement of his transfer policy is it?

[/quote]

They were all Gunns signings bar Forster and R. Martin Dion. Gunny had a budget for the season and chose which players to spend that budget on. The fact that a player is already at the club is no guarantee that they are part of a managers plans. It''s Gunns choice whether to seel players to free funds for signings or send contracted players out on loan. Gunn chose to keep Hoolahan rather than cash in to free funds for other players. It was Gunns choice to bring Martin and Spillane back into the fold. I could go on but the bottom line is that all bar the goalkeeper the way Gunn spent his budget last summer gave us a side good enough to win the division for which his budget was given to spend. Lambert proved this when he managed those players to win the league.

By all means criticise Gunns management of those players, I certainly did that as any one who was near me at Yeovil last August will testify. But he didn''t waste the budget he was given last summer in the same way as Peter Grant and Glen Roeder wasted theirs.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="First Wizard"]Any comment I make on the head leech will be totally biased, so I won''t.[img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/censored.gif[/img][/quote]and yet the board offered him these roles within the club.. Leach? or just someone taking the offer of employment when it was presented to him?so then wiz, should gunn have turned down food on the fmaily table and roof over head for fear of some idiot in Lowestoft calling him a "leach"?[/quote]Can''t you keep up?

500 fans at Saints Andrews Hall, plus thousands elsewhere no doubt, didn''t want him either, so don''t make out it was  only me you fool ...Nurse, 1 to go!

[/quote]Yes, we said we didn''t want him as manager.  What''s that got to do with your leech comment again?

If Brian Gunn was ever a football manager, why isn''t he now managing a football club.....?

Not even a non-league, or a promising youth side?

Brian Gunn isn''t/wasn''t, a football manager.....and Brian Gunn, never will be.

He was the cheap option chosen by the previous board.....

Has he been in demand or offered any managerial or coaching positions at any other football clubs?

What''s Mr Butterworth doing now?

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

If Brian Gunn was ever a football manager, why isn''t he now managing a football club.....?

[/quote]I think this is the most pertinent point regarding Gunn. Forget the signings, or why he got the job, who gave it to him etc. Why did he feel it necessary to hoodwink the board into giving him a job he was "sure" he could do (keeping us up), then conned his way into another year at the helm (to get us promoted again, ha!) as a football manager? Only to get the boot and to start work with the Digital Phone Company? Answer: he''s not a football manager, and never was. In fact, I don''t think he could give two hoots about being a football manager. He just wanted easy money/adulation in his home city, otherwise he''d be out doing everything he can to prove himself in his new career of football manager.I''m actually very angry with Gunn. Not often I agree with Wizard, but I don''t think his assessment is dramatically wide of the mark.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="First Wizard"]Any comment I make on the head leech will be totally biased, so I won''t.[img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/censored.gif[/img][/quote]

and yet the board offered him these roles within the club.. Leach? or just someone taking the offer of employment when it was presented to him?

so then wiz, should gunn have turned down food on the fmaily table and roof over head for fear of some idiot in Lowestoft calling him a "leach"?
[/quote]Can''t you keep up?

[/quote]
Yes, we said we didn''t want him as manager.  What''s that got to do with your leech comment again?
[/quote]And can''t you read either?

I clearly said I''m biased didn''t I?

Doh.  [img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/ohboy.gif[/img]

[quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"]I disagree Nelson and Hughes were a success as well as Holt.[/quote]

[Y]

Although I don''t think that Nelson will get much gametime this season

[quote user="Delia Out"]

[quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"]I disagree Nelson and Hughes were a success as well as Holt.[/quote]

[Y]

[/quote]

Maybe not, but Nelly played an important part in winning the league that Gunny brought him to play in.

I really don''t think anyone is trying to argue that Gunn was a good manager. But I can''t understand how we walked League One if the squad he assembled wasn''t any good to play in it.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Delia Out"]

[Y]

[/quote]

Maybe not, but Nelly played an important part in winning the league that Gunny brought him to play in.

I really don''t think anyone is trying to argue that Gunn was a good manager. But I can''t understand how we walked League One if the squad he assembled wasn''t any good to play in it.

[/quote]

Whilst seeing that you are on a windup i will however indulge you with a response to the ridiculous last sentence about walking League One........Theodropalot,Whaley,Maric,McVeigh,Wiggins,Gill,OTJ.

Whow i am so in awe at their contribution to our promotion.

Why would I be on a wind up Tilly?

What is the need to continually slate people for the sake of it? Gunny used his budget pretty well last summer. He made a lot of good decisions. He kept Hoolahan instead of trying to cash in. He brought Martin and Spillane back into the fold. He brought us Grant Holt. He brought us Askou and Nelson who both made important contributions at either end of the season. Especially Nelson who certainly silenced his critics including me. He brought Hughes who also made some big contributions. But it''s not all about players you bring in. It''s about players you keep and players you let go.

Last summer was a very different scenario to this. The team had just been relegated. The relegated squad contained many loans who had gone back. Many of our permanent players wanted out. Gunny had an enormous task to bring in enough players to build a competetive squad. In the main he did so. Highlighting those who didn''t do so well is just petty point scoring. Apart from the goalkeeper most of Lamberts signings just helped out a squad that was good enough to win the league they had been assembled to compete in.

This summer things are much easier for Lambert. He already has a decent squad of players who want to play for Norwich City. His task is to improve it. Gunny never had that luxury.

I am out of this,Jesus we are days away from the new season with seven new players and a huge dose of optimism and Nutty is on his high horse defending the indefensible on a subject that has been flogged to death on 100 threads since Bryan Gunn was sacked.Instead of giving lectures on the past Nutty how about some pearls wisdom and give us your views on what is going to happen next season but as i said i am out of here.[;)]

Wasn''t my thread was it?

Why don''t you just admit that Gunny did a good job with what he had to work after our relegation. It doesn''t mean you have to think he was a good manager, I don''t. Player recruitment was not one of the reasons McNally gave for his sacking was it?

I reckon we''ll have a good season! How good? well it''s difficult to tell. The sides that do well in the championship are usually established teams from past seasons there who play together as a team. We are a promoted side but I believe we are now an established and improving team. Also a good manager on the up is also a good sign. Teams who have recently sacked or changed their managers are probably in transition and will be inconsistent. So all in all I reckon my three to have a good season, and I think all three will be in the top six, are Nottingham Forest, Norwich City and Leeds Utd. But really the Championship is notoriously hard to predict. What''s your predictions?

I can''t understand why Mr McNally (and the two majority share-holders who changed their mind after 3 days) didn''t give our Bryan a bit longer at the helm......

Things just might have turned out for the better......

[quote user="Dan Druff"]Not much wrong with Nelson and Askou, in my humble opinion. I will be surprised and disappointed if they are not involved too much this year.[/quote]Prediction for you DD: Askou will stay and be a first team regular (injuries permitting). Nelson will warm the bench as many times as he starts.