Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Is that 'it' in terms of new strikers?

[quote user="Muddy funster"]I think we will be more of a 4-4-2 this season with Holt on our team. If he gets injured or suspended, I think Lambert has been working on a "Plan B". It may be something like 4-3-1-1 or 4-2-2-1 with a lightning quick Jackson playing in front of a hard working Martin etc. I don''t therefore think we need or are indeed looking for a like for like cover for Holt.[/quote]

I think that Lambert is v progressive thinking and has already adopted the tactics of successful team from around europe and as seen at the world cup.    Grant has an aerial threat but he is far more a movement and touch player.

The WC has rung a death knell for the traditional striker,  the top scorers were not, on the whole, strikers (Klose perhaps the main throw back) but mobile midfielders who were part of a (usually) 5 man midfield who worked as a unit to obtain and retain the ball by passing, moving and getting into the opponents box in numbers - Meuller, Villa Sneijder are not the usual "striker" - all do most of their play outside of the penalty areas.  

Our "strikers" as such will have to provide far more defensive cover than we have traditionally seen,  something that was immediately evident when lambert joined.   While Holt was missed when he was out,  our results were not affected greatly - what we missed was less his aerial presence but more his effort and determination to defend. The player we noticably missed from the front line at the end of the season was Hoolahan - like england hard working without some flair, ability to go past a player or pass the ball means nothing.  

So I think Lambert has moved to give us real striking options with OJ, SJ, Martin, Grant and Wes,  with the likes of Surman and McNamee also attacking players.   My view is we are looking forward to a season with a fluid 5 man midfield defensively / 4 man attack team focused on pace and passing aimed at reducing the long ball to a target man.

Lambert is a man of the times - games are won and lost in midfield and having a interchangeable squad that knows the system,  442 at Norwich is dead - long may we revel in it.

I do mostly agree with you actually ZLF. THe "Plan B" I mentioned was 5 man midfield defensively and 4 man attack. I just feel that he''s not going to be naiive enough to play this away from home or against top teams. I really think he may be thinking about a variant on a 4-4-2 as his mainstay. We''ll see, I am rather looking forward to finding out to be honest! It certainly should be attractive football.

I just don''t get this stereotype that Grant Holt is some battering ram Steve Howard type physical brute around whom the ball players flourish.

Of course he is physically strong and he uses that well but his game is actually, in my view, about his touch and vision.  He has a very quick mind and made some wonderful passes and through balls. e. g Colchester away   He links well with Hoolahan because they both have similiar footballing brains and look for the quirky and unexpected e.g. Charlton at home.

His skill on the ball enables him to beat players time and again especially on the wing.   He can make space with skill and get into good positions.  How many times did we see him get down the left flank and along the goal line.

I accept that other players have different strengths but i do not accept that they are more skillful or better footballers than Holt.

[quote user="Muddy funster"]I do mostly agree with you actually ZLF. THe "Plan B" I mentioned was 5 man midfield defensively and 4 man attack. I just feel that he''s not going to be naiive enough to play this away from home or against top teams. I really think he may be thinking about a variant on a 4-4-2 as his mainstay. We''ll see, I am rather looking forward to finding out to be honest! It certainly should be attractive football.[/quote]

Not clear but I was agreeing with your thoughts - flexibility is the way ahead - but a target man is not needed as a back up was the more succint way of putting what I wanted to say!

And that is why no one really uses Crouch (or Heskey etc) any more - the style of play is changing

Some very good points [Y]

Let us not forget that if we suffer a major striker shortage then we could play Holt/Jackson/Martin up front by themselves and then either Hoolahan or Surman right behind them.

We have a very good squad especially when you consider the flexibility.

I would like a new right back though.....

[quote user="Felixfan"]Do we have a recall option for Cody?[/quote]I would very much doubt so.

[quote user="Northerncanary"]isn''t wacko jacko a dead peado?[/quote]

not anymore he was melted and reshaped into lego so he can still be around kids [;)]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Northerncanary"]isn''t wacko jacko a dead peado?[/quote]

not anymore he was melted and reshaped into lego so he can still be around kids [;)]

[/quote]

That made me laugh :D

Nice one ''nana [Y]