Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Is that 'it' in terms of new strikers?

With the addition of ''Wacko Jacko'' to the striking ranks today do we think thats the end of the new strikers?

There is an argument that we need a back up for Holt but I''m not sure if we do.

Holt W.J

W.J C. Martin

Holt C. Martin

Dont forget Oli as well. I''d be pretty happy with any of those partnerships starting for us and for that reason I wouldnt go for a new striker.

One of the other reasons I wouldnt go for a new striker is because it''d have to be a loan player and PL didnt sign FF because of the l.s so i can hardly see him getting a striker that he could be dependent on (injury to Holt for example).

We''ve spent 2.5 million + on transfers and signing on fees this summer so I would like to spend our remaining resources on other areas of the pitch, like replacing Russell Martin (sp?) and on Danny Green.

OTBC

The only other that I would say "that''s worth a punt" would be Marlon Harewood. Truly a strikeforce of Holt, Martin, Harewood, Jackson, and Johnson would give us the best strikeforce in the Championship. In my opinion. Don''t think you could keep all five happy though.

Is Crainie still available at right back?

I don''t think we need a direct like for like Holt type player.  Lambert is about to take the Championship by storm.  By getting City to play in a continental style of slick, passing, on the deck football using this lovely ol'' modern formation.

[quote user="city till i die"]your nicknames for players are pretty (insert swear word here) poor!!![/quote]

Sorry :D

I heard a gillingham fan calling him wacko jacko at the away game last year so I stole it :D

[quote user="CT"][quote user="Brendo "]Who''s WJ? [/quote]

Wacko Jacko

LMAO im sorry guys - i just think its a catchy nickname :D[/quote]Bet Jackson loves it[;)]

[quote user="CallsignViper"]The only other that I would say "that''s worth a punt" would be Marlon Harewood. Truly a strikeforce of Holt, Martin, Harewood, Jackson, and Johnson would give us the best strikeforce in the Championship. In my opinion.[/quote]Would certainly be great! Also bearing in mind none of our 4 strikers have any proper championship experience, just saying is all. Anyway, I wouldn''t say the best, but certainly would be good. Forest for example have Earnshaw, McGoldrick, Adebola, Tyson, Joe Garner + Blackstock. I''d rather have 5 of those.

Pretty sad giving players nickname''s such as "wacko jacko" and "gilly" how old are you 10? It also looks like you''re trying to show that you know them personally which you dont.

[quote user="Big Slob"]Pretty sad giving players nickname''s such as "wacko jacko" and "gilly" how old are you 10? It also looks like you''re trying to show that you know them personally which you dont.[/quote]

No. It shows that I''m a normal fan who gives their clubs players nicknames

e.g chelsea fans and ''the drog''

arsenal and ''fab''

man u and giggsy

maybe the sad one here is you for snooping around and criticising other people...

[quote user="CT"]With the addition of ''Wacko Jacko'' to the striking ranks today do we think thats the end of the new strikers?

There is an argument that we need a back up for Holt but I''m not sure if we do.

Holt W.J

W.J C. Martin

Holt C. Martin

Dont forget Oli as well. I''d be pretty happy with any of those partnerships starting for us and for that reason I wouldnt go for a new striker.

One of the other reasons I wouldnt go for a new striker is because it''d have to be a loan player and PL didnt sign FF because of the l.s so i can hardly see him getting a striker that he could be dependent on (injury to Holt for example).

We''ve spent 2.5 million + on transfers and signing on fees this summer so I would like to spend our remaining resources on other areas of the pitch, like replacing Russell Martin (sp?) and on Danny Green.

OTBC[/quote]I agree with what you''re saying concerning strikers, unless it involves the likes of Jay Simpson, Nile Ranger, or Andy Keogh, for i believe they''d provide a welcome element to our forward play should they be brought in by a fee that we can accommodate. Though i can''t imagine Paul Lambert is lining up a "replacement" for Russell Martin as such, but (at most) a player that can contend for the right back berth in the squad. And if there is a move to the club concerning Liam Rosenoir or Martin Cranie, i''d be very happy to know that any suspected issues in our side are promptly being addressed.As for Danny Green, i think he''d provide a dynamic to our play that we vitally need, with McNamee, Dawkin, Daley, Hoolahan, Fox and Surman all predominantly left sided players (as much as they may not all play on the outside left to it''s extremity), and a bit of balance would be welcome, with only Korey Smith, Russell Martin, and to a lesser extent Stephen Hughes, being our right sided players.

[quote user="CT"][quote user="Big Slob"]Pretty sad giving players nickname''s such as "wacko jacko" and "gilly" how old are you 10? It also looks like you''re trying to show that you know them personally which you dont.
[/quote] No. It shows that I''m a normal fan who gives their clubs players nicknames e.g chelsea fans and ''the drog'' arsenal and ''fab'' man u and giggsy maybe the sad one here is you for snooping around and criticising other people...[/quote]

Or us with Hucks.

[quote user="John"][quote user="CT"]With the addition of ''Wacko Jacko'' to the striking ranks today do we think thats the end of the new strikers?

Holt W.J

W.J C. Martin

Holt C. Martin

OTBC[/quote]I agree with what you''re saying concerning strikers, unless it involves the likes of Jay Simpson, Nile Ranger, or Andy Keogh, for i believe they''d provide a welcome element to our forward play should they be brought in by a fee that we can accommodate. Though i can''t imagine Paul Lambert is lining up a "replacement" for Russell Martin as such, but (at most) a player that can contend for the right back berth in the squad. And if there is a move to the club concerning Liam Rosenoir or Martin Cranie, i''d be very happy to know that any suspected issues in our side are promptly being addressed.As for Danny Green, i think he''d provide a dynamic to our play that we vitally need, with McNamee, Dawkin, Daley, Hoolahan, Fox and Surman all predominantly left sided players (as much as they may not all play on the outside left to it''s extremity), and a bit of balance would be welcome, with only Korey Smith, Russell Martin, and to a lesser extent Stephen Hughes, being our right sided players.[/quote]Tut tut John, i do believe you told me off, for agree with CT.

Paul Lambert always seemed to favour naming 2 strikers amongst his 7 substitues, obviously an injury to any of our 4 prohibites him from doing that. If we needed to trade Cody to put us in the box seat over other clubs in order to get Jackson then fair enough but I would have preferred to keep him because of the aforementioned substitute situation. That said if I could choose a type of striker to bring in ,I''d still prefer a bigger striker in the Holt mould. Many sneered at the suggestion of Clive Platt of Colchster but he''d do for me as back up?

[quote user="Big Slob"]Pretty sad giving players nickname''s such as "wacko jacko" and "gilly" how old are you 10? It also looks like you''re trying to show that you know them personally which you dont.[/quote]Alright, calm it Blob yeah?

[quote user="Big Slob"][quote user="John"][quote user="CT"]With the addition of ''Wacko Jacko'' to the striking ranks today do we think thats the end of the new strikers?

Holt W.J

W.J C. Martin

Holt C. Martin

OTBC[/quote]I agree with what you''re saying concerning strikers, unless it involves the likes of Jay Simpson, Nile Ranger, or Andy Keogh, for i believe they''d provide a welcome element to our forward play should they be brought in by a fee that we can accommodate. Though i can''t imagine Paul Lambert is lining up a "replacement" for Russell Martin as such, but (at most) a player that can contend for the right back berth in the squad. And if there is a move to the club concerning Liam Rosenoir or Martin Cranie, i''d be very happy to know that any suspected issues in our side are promptly being addressed.As for Danny Green, i think he''d provide a dynamic to our play that we vitally need, with McNamee, Dawkin, Daley, Hoolahan, Fox and Surman all predominantly left sided players (as much as they may not all play on the outside left to it''s extremity), and a bit of balance would be welcome, with only Korey Smith, Russell Martin, and to a lesser extent Stephen Hughes, being our right sided players.[/quote]Tut tut John, i do believe you told me off, for agree with CT.[/quote].... That i did Big Slob, that i did.[:#]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Paul Lambert always seemed to favour naming 2 strikers amongst his 7 substitues, obviously an injury to any of our 4 prohibites him from doing that. If we needed to trade Cody to put us in the box seat over other clubs in order to get Jackson then fair enough but I would have preferred to keep him because of the aforementioned substitute situation. That said if I could choose a type of striker to bring in ,I''d still prefer a bigger striker in the Holt mould. Many sneered at the suggestion of Clive Platt of Colchster but he''d do for me as back up?

[/quote]

I don''t agree with this buying ''back up'' for Holt business.  Surely if we are going to buy someone in the Holt style we would want someone better than him or someone who is seriously going to challenge him for his place.  No one is going to come if we say ''we are buying you as back up for our captain'' are they?

[quote user="Boyo"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

I don''t agree with this buying ''back up'' for Holt business.  Surely if we are going to buy someone in the Holt style we would want someone better than him or someone who is seriously going to challenge him for his place.  No one is going to come if we say ''we are buying you as back up for our captain'' are they?

[/quote]

Ok, ''back up'' may not be the best description , I''ll instead use the phrase ''in the mould of''. Whoever it is and in whatever capacity we need a another striker of this type as I still have visions of how much we missed Holt when he wasn''t there last season, most in particular Millwall & Leyton Orient (a).

I think we will be more of a 4-4-2 this season with Holt on our team. If he gets injured or suspended, I think Lambert has been working on a "Plan B". It may be something like 4-3-1-1 or 4-2-2-1 with a lightning quick Jackson playing in front of a hard working Martin etc.

I don''t therefore think we need or are indeed looking for a like for like cover for Holt.

[quote user="Boyo"][quote user="GJL Mid Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]I''m doing a little too much of this tonight, especially considering what can seemingly be thrown back at me for doing so, but i''m going to agree with that aswell.I guess we must also bare in mind what kind of calibre of player we can attract on the premise of them coming as a "bench-warmer" so to speak. Without Holt, we''re looking for players to come in performing as a mere ''token'' of his role, where that is a method that rarely, if ever works. Players like Platt have subtle, but big differences in their game to other players, and if you''re simply inducting him into the side as a like for like replacement, you''ll see that they either fail miserably, or end up playing in their own element.When Swansea first went up with with Jason Scotland as their "target man" striker they didn''t seem to need to buy back up, and he flourished quite nicely during the course of the season. Going up to the highest level, have Inter Milan searched for a like for like replacement for Ibrahimovic? Arsenal with Adebayor? Or have Chelsea brought in a like for like back up for Drogba? Or Manchester United the same, with Berbatov?  So in evidence you could probably atleast see it is not a neccessity if you want to keep a good team.However, having said all that, i''d happily welcome someone like Richard Brodie coming to the club. Clearly showing just as much, if not more than Holt did in the non-league at his age, with an abundance of talent and goalscoring ability as a ''target man'' type striker. Unfortunately the likes of Brodie are in scarce supply though, so he''d be more the exception rather than the actual rule, and if he came i''d like to think we were buying him for the sake of who he is, and not who he could replicate.We much search for systems to fit the players in the absence of Holt, and not players to fit the system.

[quote user="Muddy funster"]I think we will be more of a 4-4-2 this season with Holt on our team. If he gets injured or suspended, I think Lambert has been working on a "Plan B". It may be something like 4-3-1-1 or 4-2-2-1 with a lightning quick Jackson playing in front of a hard working Martin etc.

I don''t therefore think we need or are indeed looking for a like for like cover for Holt.[/quote]In my opinion it''s the opposite.  4-4-2 is plan B.  Lambert is forward thinking.  He''s brought in young players who can pass the ball and can adapt easier to a modern system.

You could also argue that in NOT buying genuine competition for the likes of Berbatov/Adebayor, Manchester United & Arsenal restricted what they could have achieved.

Contextually we are the same. If we are to fulfil our maximum potential next season we need to cover all aspects, and given our current striking options we need someone with height/power to worry defences.

Jackson has pace, Martin is slow but can use both feet to finish expertly, Holt is the work-horse (and a damn good one at that) & Johnson is the unknown trickster. In my opinion it''s fair to say Holt has the heaviest work-load of any of our potential strikers (as showcased by the distance he covers over a season), and therefore (especially given he''s no longer a spritely youngster) the striker we should now be looking to bring in like-for-like competition for.

While I believe our attacking options are beginning to look very, very good, I still see us struggling without Holt. With the players we now have, I believe the absence of Martin/Johnson/Jackson would be much less harsly felt than were Holt to be unavailable for a prolonged amount of time.

Brett Pittman, Adam Rooney or Richard Brodie in now please. All young, with massive potential. None of the Adebola/Harewood types please. We are a progressing club, not one that wishes to lumber itself with yesterday men.