Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Goals must surely come!

I still think that Chrissy and Holty could notch up to 15 goals each, even in the more difficult situation in the Championship.

I think, having seen his goals, that Simeon won''t be far behind either. He is short, but still manages to score good headed goals. He is slight. but his sheer pace will protect him from the heavy-weight cloggers he may come across. In his own way he is a target man for quick relase long balls over or round large markers.

Add to this the likelihood of goals from the midfield - messrs. Fox, Surman, Hoolahan, Hughes, Crofts, and a few from the back four, I now think we ought to achieve 70 or 80 goals.

If we concede goals, we have the firepower still to win points.

I am not going overboard, because PL still has to fit the talents together, recover the commitment they showed last season, and there is always the problem of injury, suspension and loss of form.

To me the most encouraging thing we have is the quality of cover on the bench. The core and able squad is much bigger this year, even if they will be playing at a higher level. (If youngsters are on the bench, they will deserve to be there, rather than because there is no-one else. There will be very few has-beens or those who "will never make it".

[Y]Agree, but we musn''t forget we have been used to recent lacklustre Norwich sides in the Championship, and League 1 is a definite level below. There are many other clubs that also have an excellent team on paper. The key, as you suggest is fitting the talents together. Cautiously optimistic, after the signing of Jackson, and rumours about Crainee.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"][Y]Agree, but we musn''t forget we have been used to recent lacklustre Norwich sides in the Championship, and League 1 is a definite level below. There are many other clubs that also have an excellent team on paper. The key, as you suggest is fitting the talents together. Cautiously optimistic, after the signing of Jackson, and rumours about Crainee.[/quote]Team spirit is what it all about(plus some talent of course) as last season some games we went 1 or 2 down but battled to the bitter end, this is what Lambert has installed into the players..this is what helps win games[Y] So excited about the new season, if we can add a quality RB i would be VERY VERY happy(as i think we do need 1 as R.Martin isnt good enough imho)

Wasn''t it Mick McCarthy who told Peter Grant that the key to winning in the Championship was to have a cracking strike force over a stern back line?  Didn''t quite work out for ole'' Granty but this squad may put away more 3-1/4-2 wins and not worry much about the clean sheets.  Would be fun to watch as well.