Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

Do we have a plan B?

I appreciate how well the diamond worked for us last year, and hopefully it continues to do so, but do we have another formation to fall back on? A standard 4-4-2 doesn''t look like an option to me, with a dearth of right wingers at present, and only McNamee as a senior out and out winger. Any suggestions for how PL might change things if the diamond goes wrong?

Korey can/does play on the right, he can effecitvly be a winger, Lappin can be, Martin can be, and we could still sign one yet....

Who says he''s going to play the diamond?Personally I don''t have the first clue about the 11 he''ll put out and what formation they''ll play in.Really, we''re all speculating.What I do know is that, whatever he does, I''m sure he''ll make it work.

Yes but my point was related to genuine right wingers, none of those players fulfill that criterion in my mind, I don''t believe they have the pace, skill or positional sense to be described as such. You are correct that we could still sign a player, and I hope we get in someone like Danny Green, but that is by no means guaranteed listening to the way that PL has been talking.

[quote user="morty"]Who says he''s going to play the diamond?

Personally I don''t have the first clue about the 11 he''ll put out and what formation they''ll play in.

Really, we''re all speculating.

What I do know is that, whatever he does, I''m sure he''ll make it work.
[/quote]

Yes we can all speculate but i am sure once he has spoken to Smudger about what formation to play,who to play and what positions we need further signings to cover all will be revealed Morty.[;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="morty"]Who says he''s going to play the diamond?Personally I don''t have the first clue about the 11 he''ll put out and what formation they''ll play in.Really, we''re all speculating.What I do know is that, whatever he does, I''m sure he''ll make it work.[/quote]

Yes we can all speculate but i am sure once he has spoken to Smudger about what formation to play,who to play and what positions we need further signings to cover all will be revealed Morty.[;)]

[/quote][:D]

I suspect the reason why PL now has so many midfielders is that he wants the flexibility of being able to play different combinations.

We may play 4-3-3 or the diamond 4-1-2-1-2, or even five across the middle if we need to be diffensive, and we can certainly play various combinations of 4-4-2.

One of the reasons for the trip to Germany and the friendlies to follow could well be the opportunity to try out combinations with various personnel, as well as seeing their strengths and weaknesses.

We may not have a plan A at the moment, but we have considerable flexibility, - plans A to about H!

You could Still go 4-4-2 with Mcnamee on the Right and Surman on the Left. I no Surman ain''t the same Type of player as Mcnamee but Is still good Enough to be used a winger

What about 4-3-1-2

martin. Nelson. Ward. Smith/drury.

Fox. Crofts. Surman.

Hoolahan

Holt. Martin/Jackson

For starting line up^^^^^ macnamee(spelling) /k.smith Crofts hoolahan surman

Holt Martin/Jackson

I think should we ever revert to a 442 it would be very ulikely to contain two out and out wingers, more likely one genuine winger with one ''tucking in''. With that in mind I think we already have enough midfielders here to do that. The key man here of course is McNamee who would be the ''winger '' who could play either side. Were he on the left the likes of Smith or Hughes would work the right, if we was on the right, we would have arguably more options in Hoolahan,Surman or Lappin on the left

Im summary I don''t feel that a right winger is a high priority as some are suggesting considering that we are unlikely to play with wingers anyway?

...............now a right back, thats a different argument !!

[quote user="morty"]Who says he''s going to play the diamond?

Personally I don''t have the first clue about the 11 he''ll put out and what formation they''ll play in.

Really, we''re all speculating.

What I do know is that, whatever he does, I''m sure he''ll make it work.
[/quote] I like this.

I could see the scenario of Surman on one wing and Macnammee working if Smith is as good at bombing on as has been said. However it is difficult to say that right now. Also I''m not convinced by Macnammee on the right, whereas on the left I think he could be a real asset. My personal opinion, ignorant as I may be, is that it''s better to have a pacey threat from both wings rather than just one, as the defenders would not know where to turn. That said the trend in football at present seems to be turning towards having one winger ''tuck in''. Morty you are correct that at present this is all just speculation, and I too trust Lambert''s decision making skills, however isn''t speculation a large part of this message board?

[quote user="Patches OHoolahan"]I could see the scenario of Surman on one wing and Macnammee working if Smith is as good at bombing on as has been said. However it is difficult to say that right now. Also I''m not convinced by Macnammee on the right, whereas on the left I think he could be a real asset. My personal opinion, ignorant as I may be, is that it''s better to have a pacey threat from both wings rather than just one, as the defenders would not know where to turn. That said the trend in football at present seems to be turning towards having one winger ''tuck in''. Morty you are correct that at present this is all just speculation, and I too trust Lambert''s decision making skills, however isn''t speculation a large part of this message board?[/quote]To be entirely honest though, I don''t think that we can really even get close to an educated guess! The diamond was largely used last season to build the team around hoolahoop and get the best out of him, but theres new kids on the block now. Will Hoolahan even be a definite starter? I seriously doubt that anyone here could accurately predict what the starting line up will be against Watford lol.